✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What have you learned today?

Prince Myshkin

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm good at maths but just never did any work for it, I had a tutor for 2 years for my basic maths class and he'd repeat the same stuff over and over, then in the last month before final exams I started trying and actually got an A. Not sure if the tutor was mad I clearly hadn't done anything and then crammed it in last minute, but meh they got their monies.

I'm not looking for sympathy; I just wanted to make it clear why I seem disagreeable/moody [do I seem that way? :thinking:] at the moment

Coldplaying needs a delete button for posts, honestly.

*my posts

It's not just being disagreeable or moody and wasn't about that from what I can see, it's just the attitude you have of being superior to others, to be fair you let it out very little but we can all tell it's there and you might hold it back, and it's a really horrible characteristic to have.

superior to others

Math [intelligence in general?], I will admit, I can be a bit arrogant about. To be honest, though, I really don't like many of my characteristics aside from intelligence (and, believe me, I know that in the scheme of things, the majority of the people in the world are much more intelligent - in more ways than just "book smarts" - than I am). Oh, what I would give to actually be able to talk to people whenever I felt like it.

also i kind of have trust issues but that's unrelated so

There are definitely people who are superior to me just on this forum...not to mention in real life. :|

superior to others

Math [intelligence in general?], I will admit, I can be a bit arrogant about. To be honest, though, I really don't like many of my characteristics aside from intelligence (and, believe me, I know that in the scheme of things, the majority of the people in the world are much more intelligent - in more ways than just "book smarts" - than I am). Oh, what I would give to actually be able to talk to people whenever I felt like it.

There are definitely people who are superior to me just on this forum...not to mention in real life. :|

I dunno, it might help already if you do not think of you or anyone else as being superior. We are all equal when taking everything together. A thing like being good at math is really just one facet of what makes you you. One out of many many facets that we are composed of. I feel comforted by the thought that we are all in a way equal, I don’t have to try. Not even in my thoughts :P

And I think Dee was just trying to say that you don’t have to mention such a thing in your post. It’s not like anyone asked you “Hey, at what age did you master quadratic equations?

I also agree with her that you can help it, though you said “I can’t help it”. It just takes some consideration when you post. Not when you try to tell your parents something, because it’s about the moment that you post something on here. Irrelevant stuff is irrelevant.

It’s just that to me you seem to post a bit too often about how smart you are, which makes it look like bragging. I don’t know if you do, but it’s the idea I get. Sadly it doesn’t make me think of you as ‘that smart girl’, it makes me think of you as ‘that girl who thinks she is so smart’

Sorry if I am too direct and all, but I hope that you as a Belg can take it, since we tend to be more blunt in general than other people.

I dunno, it might help already if you do not think of you or anyone else as being superior. We are all equal when taking everything together. A thing like being good at math is really just one facet of what makes you you. One out of many many facets that we are composed of. I feel comforted by the thought that we are all in a way equal, I don’t have to try. Not even in my thoughts :P

And I think Dee was just trying to say that you don’t have to mention such a thing in your post. It’s not like anyone asked you “Hey, at what age did you master quadratic equations?

I also agree with her that you can help it, though you said “I can’t help it”. It just takes some consideration when you post. Not when you try to tell your parents something, because it’s about the moment that you post something on here. Irrelevant stuff is irrelevant.

It’s just that to me you seem to post a bit too often about how smart you are, which makes it look like bragging. I don’t know if you do, but it’s the idea I get. Sadly it doesn’t make me think of you as ‘that smart girl’, it makes me think of you as ‘that girl who thinks she is so smart’

Sorry if I am too direct and all, but I hope that you as a Belg can take it, since we tend to be more blunt in general than other people.

*please read my posts that I made after the one you mentioned, in the main body of your paragraph :nice:*

There definitely are superior humans living on this planet, though [and no, I'm not one of them]. For example, I think that we can all agree that Stephen Hawking is superior to nearly everyone on the planet in terms of his physics brilliance. :nod:

/probably irrelevant

At any rate, if it seems like I talk to much about my intelligence/math abilities, I apologize; it's really the only quality about myself that I don't adamantly dislike. :|

(also, I'm not Belgian. :confused:)

~

I figured out that I'm starting to develop social anxiety. :uhoh2:

*please read my posts that I made after the one you mentioned, in the main body of your paragraph :nice:*

There definitely are superior humans living on this planet, though [and no, I'm not one of them]. For example, I think that we can all agree that Stephen Hawking is superior to nearly everyone on the planet in terms of his physics brilliance. :nod:

/probably irrelevant

At any rate, if it seems like I talk to much about my intelligence/math abilities, I apologize; it's really the only quality about myself that I don't adamantly dislike. :|

(also, I'm not Belgian. :confused:)

~

I figured out that I'm starting to develop social anxiety. :uhoh2:

http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects/The%20Nine%20Types%20of%20Intelligence.htm

Logical intelligence is not the only thing people are valued for in the world. You are gifted in one of the many kinds of intelligence there are out there, you can very well be gifted in more, but being good at math ≠ you're smart. It's an offense to the people out there who are great with understanding people and rebuild families and lives, the dancers and sports players whose minds are so strong when it comes to hand-eye coordination and perfect timing, etc.

Everyone is good at some sort of type of intelligence and therefore everyone is smart in their own unique way. People who might excel in one type might be severly lacking in another. That is why I believe people are equal.

Nobody is superior to another. Nobody is inferior or useless. Racists and sexists and classists think that. It's not "I believe women and black people should have equal rights so nooo I am not being like that."

I'm having trouble replying to this because I can't put my thoughts into words.

Anna you have very many great qualities besides your intelligence and I'm sorry if you are unable to see them. I mean this very honestly, I'm not writing some crap to help my argument. The thing is, you need to learn how to like yourself if you want friends. Because I feel like you praise yourself constantly as a sort of defense mechanism for whatever else you are unhappy about in life.

Learn to be a more modest and happy person and the friends will come. But quite a lot of people don't like the idea of being around someone who makes them feel inferior all the time.

I was actually just using Stephen Hawking as an example; I couldn't think of any physically talented people off the top of my head. shows how much I care about sports I am aware of the different types of personalities, though.

I actually try to avoid praising myself frequently, to be honest, even though it may not appear to be that way. I mean, I do internally, but let's be honest, who doesn't praise themselves internally once in a while? I will admit that I seem rather boastful online, and I do need to work on improving that. However, I actually tend to downplay my abilities in real life (example: "You're really good at drawing!" "Nah, there are people at this school who are better at drawing than I am/my mom is so much better than I am."). Believe me, I'm trying to eliminate the bragging part of my personality as much as I possibly can.

As for friends, well...I don't actually want any more all that badly. :| I already have two great IRL friends (three if you count Taameen as an IRL friend, since I physically met her), and I have around five relatively close online friends yes that includes you Dee :hug:. I know this sounds extremelyselfish/apathetic, but if my friends were to suddenly disappear off the face of the Earth, I wouldn't mind too much. Of course, I wouldn't exactly be happy, but I would carry on with my life, and I probably wouldn't end up making any more friends. Heck, I haven't made any IRL friends since I was 10, and I'm just fine with that.

why can't I write something in an informal tone jeez

sorry I sound so rigid all the time

As for happiness, well...*makes another thread*

Oh, how did I mess up that. I know you're not Belgium :bigcry: it is in your profile and I follow the scrapbook closely. How did I make my mistake! Sorry :(

Yeah, I also read that you wrote afterwards that you can :)

I do not see Stephen Hawkings as superior; the man cannot even whipe his own butt. Of course that doesn't make him any less a genius in physics, but being great in one field doesn't make you any better than someone else :P so I think that in that respect I agree with Dee.