✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Albums of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - Closed

Space Cadet

I'm considering just making my list of things that aren't really on any other lists, so instead of giving something that will win even more points, yeah.

I honestly haven't paid attention to releases at all really, I just get music. :shrug:

That kinda didn't make sense. :anxious:

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first year where I've actually paid attention to new releases, and there've been a ton of really good ones.

I remember last year, I struggled to come up with a list of 5. xD

It's not that I don't pay attention. I have trouble deciding the order of things. This is why I have yet to actually post a list. :bigcry: I'm actually further than I usually get when I do this, though, as I have a shortlist. This is the first year that I'm actually attempting something like this, so maybe that's also a bit of a problem.

ok top 15 done now.

1. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

2. The National - High Violet

3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

4. Foals - Total Life Forever

5. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

6. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

7. Angus + Julia Stone - Down the Way

8. Beach House - Teen Dream

9. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II

10. Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can

11. Jonsi - Go

12. Cloud Control - Bliss Release

13. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

14. Interpol - S/T

15. Parades - Foreign Tapes

16 to 25 will be toughest i think.

It's not that I don't pay attention. I have trouble deciding the order of things. This is why I have yet to actually post a list. :bigcry: I'm actually further than I usually get when I do this, though, as I have a shortlist. This is the first year that I'm actually attempting something like this, so maybe that's also a bit of a problem.
Why not post your shortlist and then play around with the order later?

The way I usually come up with an order is to split my shortlist into 3 categories: top middle and bottom. I may have trouble coming up with a spot for an album, but I don't have such a problem saying this one definitely deserves to be in the top group, this one I don't care about so much, it belongs in the bottom group. Then I don't worry about the significance of it's exact position so much as long as it's part of the right group.

...if that made sense... :uhoh:

My list so far:

1. The Rumour Said Fire - The Arrogant

2. Apparatjik - We Are Here

3. I LIKE TRAINS - He Who Saw The Deep

4. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

5. Kashmir - Trespassers

My top 5. I haven't listened to all 2010 CD's I wanted to listen to :(

my top (non-aussie) albums

1. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 2. The National - High Violet 3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 4. Foals - Total Life Forever 5. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 6. Beach House - Teen Dream

metacritic's top albums (aggregating top 10 lists from music media)

1 The Suburbs by Arcade Fire 2 My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West 3 This Is Happening by LCD Soundsystem 4 High Violet by The National 5 Teen Dream by Beach House

too close for comfort!!!

my top (non-aussie) albums

1. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 2. The National - High Violet 3. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 4. Foals - Total Life Forever 5. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 6. Beach House - Teen Dream

metacritic's top albums (aggregating top 10 lists from music media)

1 The Suburbs by Arcade Fire 2 My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West 3 This Is Happening by LCD Soundsystem 4 High Violet by The National 5 Teen Dream by Beach House

too close for comfort!!!

Guess we know where you get all your opinions from now. :P;):lol:

But to be serious, how much do you think it's that you are influenced by reviews and how much do you think it's that you happen to be tuned in to the same zeitgeist as the critics? :thinking:

Guess we know where you get all your opinions from now. :P;):lol:

But to be serious, how much do you think it's that you are influenced by reviews and how much do you think it's that you happen to be tuned in to the same zeitgeist as the critics? :thinking:

i would admit that i am influenced a fair bit by critics especially ones i respect. but looking at my top albums. ive been a big fan of lcd soundsystem, arcade fire and kanye west for a long time now, before i knew of their critical success. so it's a combination of coincidence and how much of a sucker i am for critical acclaim.

01. Sufjan Stevens - The Age Of Adz

02. The National - High Violet

03. Beach House - Teen Dream

04. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring

05. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

-----------

06. Jónsi - Go

07. Vampire Weekend - Contra

08. Tokyo Police Club - Champ

09. Mystery Jets - Serotonin

10. Caribou - Swim

-----------

11. Stars - The Five Ghosts

12. Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard

13. Broken Bells - Broken Bells

14. Apparatjik - We Are Here

15. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

-----------

16. Owen Pallett - Heartland

17. Efterklang - Magic Chairs

18. Girl Talk - All Day

19. Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love

20. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

1. Edit. 22.12.

Final Edit 29.12.

Final Edit 30.12.

I really enjoy reading coldplayers lists, moreso than the critcs (except maybe pitchfork) because you can actually talk about there choices and no one here has their reputation on the line to look really indie or sophisticated like the magazines, they make actual choices on decent music that they really enjoyed. Some of the lists also need to be updated on the first page.

EDIT: I still am waiting for your list briggins!

Why couldn't we be influenced by reviews? That's what they are made for.

I can't listen to every album so yeah I'm reading reviews to find good stuff. But that's doesn't mean I love what they love and I if it's the case why should we justify our choise? This is just a way to find new musics.