busybeeburns

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Pearl Jam Thread

any pearl jam fans in here??

for those of you not familiar with the legendary grunge band from Seattle. they have had hits like "Alive" "Even Flow" "Daughter" "Better Man" "Last Kiss" "Life Wasted" and many many more.

Would love to hear from any PJ fans

ooh, well i'm definitely a fan and i appreciate their work, but its a bit harder than the other sorts of music i listen to. my mom, now SHE'S a fan. she's as obsessive about PJ as i am about coldplay. posters of them in the house, framed tickets, multiple books, all the albums and everything they've ever done etc etc. i've been kind of innundated with them my whole life, so that's probably where my fandom comes from.

i'm going to see them on june 27th though! :dance: it'll be my first time seeing them (even though i tried twice before and had to cancel at the last minute :shifty:), but probably my mom's 20th time.

my ultimate favorite PJ song is "undone," no question.

i'm going to see them on june 27th though! :dance: it'll be my first time seeing them (even though i tried twice before and had to cancel at the last minute :shifty:), but probably my mom's 20th time.

my ultimate favorite PJ song is "undone," no question.

lucky! i wanted to go to their show in ny but couldn't!

i only have the album ten, but i think it is brilliant, one of my all time favorites and probably the best grunge album ever. my favorite song is black

^^

i agree with you i too think it out does nirvanas nevermind. check out their vitalogy album and their latest self titled album their back to their best in it.

but its their incredible 2 n half hour shows with 25-30 songs that really impress me. they have been doing shows of that length for over a decade now and showing no signs of slowing down. there the most humble honest not to mention talented rock bands of this era and an inspiration for other bands. very few bands have been able to mix soft and hard rock together so beautifully and consistently. but the biggest attraction is the love and affection they have for their fans. too many bands take their fans for granted (thankfully coldplay isnt one) but pearl jam go out of their way to satisfy their fans. from recording every show they do to capping ticket prices to make it more affordable

if in 10yrs time coldplay are even half the band that pearl jam is i would be extremely pleased with the boys.

lucky! i wanted to go to their show in ny but couldn't!

i only have the album ten, but i think it is brilliant, one of my all time favorites and probably the best grunge album ever. my favorite song is black

ten is very very good, but at the same time it's not really my sort of music. the newest, self-titled album is amazing, i think, and lost dogs has some amazing songs on it.

and the into the wild soundtrack....ohhh my goodness. i've been obsessively playing "hard sun" for the past 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

I concur.

Ten is an awesome cd but The Avacado Album is by far their best. Binaural is also very good.

And yes, Lost Dogs is a great collection. It's really great to see Pearl Jam just rocking out and having a good time on the B-sides. It is like listening to Pearl Jam as what the band really is like, as opposed to all the edited and serious stuff they have on their albums. Especially when it comes to the Riot Act b-sides like Down and Undone.

That being said, Hard To Imagine is the best Pearl Jam song ever.

hey all! I´ve just "discovered" the beautiful pearl jam´s music thanks to the soundtrack of "into the wild" where all songs(or most at least) were written by eddie wedder ...so i started searching around and got some songs..like parachutes and the beautiful black:heart:...I really LOVE Eddie Vedder´s voice...amazing:):)

yea man, Parachutes is great. In fact, all of Pearl Jam by Pearl Jam is great. Ten is a good place to start if you're getting into Pearl Jam too.

And also, if you dig Pearl Jam... you may like Soundgarden too. Check out the cd Superunknown by them.

their albums from best to worst in my opinion

1.Vitalogy

2. Ten

3. No Code

4. VS

5.Pearl Jam

6. Binaural

7.Riot Act

8. Lost Dogs

9. Yield

dvd's best to worst

1. Touring Band

2. Immagine In Cornice

3. Live At The Garden

4. Single Video Theory

Eddie Vedder is about the only musician i would consider a bit of a hero.

• 5 months later...

Pearl Jam Reissue's Ten

This is from the official Pearl Jam web site:

Pearl Jam's Ten Reissued - Box Set Pre-Sale Now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN

FOUR SPECIAL EDITION PACKAGES IN STORES MARCH 24, 2009

TEN CLUB PRE-SALE OF SUPER DELUXE BOX SET BEGINS NOW

Album extras include:

Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •

DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at [DIRECT LINK]. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN

Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION

In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)

Jeff Ament describes the experience of re-visiting that tape with singer Eddie Vedder:

“I think the first time that Ed or I had opened any of those boxes was a few weeks ago. I knew that the original ‘Momma-Son’ cassette was somewhere, but I hadn’t listened to it in 17, 18, 19 years. It was cool to sit down and play it for the first time with Ed and see his reaction. And to find that 90% of it stayed exactly the same as what ended up on the record. A lot of elements were identical. There was some energy flying around at that point even from 1,300 miles away from Seattle to San Diego.”

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):

· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)

· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”

· Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):

· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”

· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)

· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl

· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):

· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl

· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)

· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”

· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

• 3 months later...

These reissues are driving me nuts. I want the deluxe version but really don't feel like dropping $40-$50 right now. And I don't really want to spend the $15 for the legacy edition (cd only) because I want to apply that money toward the deluxe version.

Consequently, I have nothing right now....GRRR!

So there is not a lot of talk about the Ten re-issue. I still have not bought my copy, but I thought some people on the boards would at least be discussing the album.

It always blows my mind that there is little interest in Pearl Jam on this message board, but people will discuss Radiohead until they are blue in the face. To me, both bands are almost equal in their importance (amongst contemporaries). Maybe it's the fact that Radiohead has a similar vibe as Coldplay, and this is a Coldplay message board. I always watch the PJ thread sink like a brick.