✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Pearl Jam

busybeeburns

^^

are you talking about from Backspacer or their entire catalogue? cos The Fixer would hardly rank amongst the top 50 PJ songs. but then again i can see why you only like that song, its quite a difference vibe from them. you should check out songs from their last album which was self-titled, its got a similar feel to it.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pearl Jam have written many songs in the same vein as The Fixer, in the sense that they are fun, hooky rock numbers, it's just that most of these songs are B-sides. Check out Disc 1 of Lost Dogs for reference, and songs such as All Night, Down, Black Red and Yellow, Leavin' Here, Gremmie Out Of Control, and Undone.

And even on later releases too, like on Pearl Jam, the song Big Wave, Get Right on Riot Act, or Mankind on No Code.

i guess i might have exaggerated slightly with the intention of making a point more than anything else. i absolutely love The Fixer, its about the only song i pump up when im listening to the more commercial radio stations. on their S/T they sort of started developing that more upbeat sound and they've nailed it on this album and still sounded genuine and true. something imo U2 (and countless other bands who have been around for several decades) has failed to do over their last few albums.

So what? I am also a fan of pj and, save backspacer and a portion of self titled, I have found recent pj albums to be far more uninspiring. That's what's so great about backspacer - it sounds so fresh and rockin'. As for u2, I can easily say that some of their best material has come from atyclb and htdaab. Even nloth has a few songs I would throw into the list of all time great u2 songs.

I agree that PJ are getting it done and sounding genuine with it too. As for the U2 comment, I think U2 were true on their last few outings. No Line is a good album, but to me I dont like it because it doesnt feel right. It has a rough flow to say.

Backspacer is great and flows nice and quickly.

That's fine, I never had a beef. But your statement makes me out to be a u2 homer. U2 and pearl jam are 2 of my 3 favorite bands, but I am still critical of their work. Calling atyclb and htdaab uninspired is a play I've heard many times, and I rail against it every time I hear it.

Pearl jam can do whatever they want because being the biggest, most popular band in the world is something they never strived for. But I think it's very important to u2, who got killed by fans when they tried to venture out with zooropa and pop (both very good and underrated albums in my opinion). So they responded to the criticism by producing a collection of songs that go back to what u2 does best.

Granted, atyclb and htdaab do not flow as well as other albums, but they are not trying to. They are a collection of individual songs, and some are better than others. But beautiful day, walk on, kite, miracle drug, city of blinding lights, stuck in a moment..., etc. are some of their best overall songs, and those are just the ones that come to mind in 2 seconds.

PJ in Australia at the moment here's what they have played so far

November 14, 2009 Perth, Australia, Member Equity Stadium

Opening : Liam Finn, Ben Harper and Relentless7

Set List: Breakferfall, Why Go, Corduroy, Gonna See My Friend, Small Town, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Pilate, Unthought Known, Daughter/W.M.A., Big Wave, Force of Nature, I Am Mine, Grievance, Garden, The Fixer, Save You

1st encore: Just Breathe, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Love, Reign O'er Me-(Townshend), Whipping, Got Some, Do The Evolution

2nd encore: Throw Your Arms Around Me w/ Liam Finn-(Archer, Falconer, Howard, Miles, Seymour, Smith, Waters), Given to Fly, Betterman / Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

Adelaide, Australia

Adelaide Oval

17 November 2009

Main Set: Release, Why Go, Gonna see my Friend, Brain of J, In My Tree, Severed Hand, Faithfull, Got Some, Even Flow, Johnny Guitar, Amongst the Waves, I Got Shit, Small Town, No Way, Unthought Known, Lukin, Blood,

Encore 1: Just Breathe, Red Mosquito, Indifference, State of Love and Trust, The Real Me, The Fixer, Rearviewmirror,

Encore 2:Smile :D Life Wasted, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

going to see the boys tonight!!!! CANT WAIT

temperatures are above 42C/106F today in sydney so its going to be a scorcher and they are also predicting late storms so that will make things very interesting.

hoping for a setlist something like what melbourne (34 songs including my top 10) enjoyed but since it is an open air show curfews will apply so i cant expect some mega long setlist.

ok im ready to give my thoughts

before i start i should explain the situation. sydney football stadium. 40 000 fans. 43 degree heat. bushfire smoke turning the sky murky grey. eddie vedder down with a serious flu. apologies and promises to give it his all.

im not going to dwell usual crap of "oh great show" "love this loved that" blah blah blah. for me going to see pearl jam was always going to be a very emotional and somewhat spiritual experience. i discovered this band at a very low point in my life and things really turned around for me in the months i spent discovering their music and what they were all about. as i learnt more and more about the band eddie sort of become an inspiration for me but i've never quite been able to justify my admiration. but after my experience last night i can. i wasnt close enough to see eddie's face properly but looking at the big screens i could tell the man was suffering from the flu compounded by the heat. the performance he gave was the best performance i have ever seen from a frontman. i'm certain that 90% of bands would of pulled out saying their frontman wasnt fit enough. but not my beloved PJ, for 130mins and 28 songs they fought the elements and delivered a stadium sized spectacular.

i didnt quite feel the emotion while i was watching them play. but it kinda hit me this morning. the band could of easily done half a set and gone home. but instead we got countless jam sessions, incredible solo after solo from mike, mankind from stone and jeff jumping around like a maniac. i now know exactly why this band is an inspiration to me.

the crowd around me was prety subdued but i didnt give a damn. i bounced up and down for most of the two hours cos eddie told us to give him all our energy and sing as much as we could. so i did my best.

i know most of you wont read the whole thing so here's a summary lol. yes the setlist was incredibly short (by PJ standards) yes it was stinking hot. yes they didnt play most of their big songs. but it was special show. a show and night i will never forget.

EDIT: Light Years was dedicated to a couple whose first child was still born two weeks ago.

• 4 weeks later...
I was front row, against the barrier for Melbourne and Sydney. Even got a guitar pick from Mike. I have nearly achieved all of my concert goals in life now. I will die happy haha

Congratulations. I hope they tour Australia again in the near future. It sucks that Eddie was really sick for the Sydney show. I hear it was a good show, but everyone should get to see PJ when they are at full strength.

How was Liam Finn?

I quite liked Liam Finn!!! I know a few others at the concert thought he wasn't that great, but I guess his style is not for everyone. He definitely is an enthusiastic performer which is great to see. He came out to sing with Pearl Jam as well, very cool. So yeah, I'm a fan of his work :)

Congratulations. I hope they tour Australia again in the near future. It sucks that Eddie was really sick for the Sydney show. I hear it was a good show, but everyone should get to see PJ when they are at full strength.

Yeah Melbourne was the best show of the tour, cos I'm biased :laugh3:. But the band were really into it, sound was good, audience were fantastic, had the extended set. Plus Oceans mid-set (omg). Really can't fault that show at all. Worth lining up all day for in hot conditions for, thats for sure! Sydney, not quite as good due to Ed was sick, but was amazed he soldiered on through it. I heard he was even lying down side of the stage during breaks etc. The man really respects his fans. He didn't let us down, the show was still great. Plus I finally got to hear Stone sing Mankind :) And I finally heard Garden yayyy. Would love for them to tour again. I've seen them in 2003 and 2006 too, but that Melbourne show was the best I've seen so far. So they've still got it. I'm also definitely keen to catch them in the states one time. Would have killed to go to the Philly shows, they sounded pretty epic.