✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[11-June-2011] Coldplay @ Pinkpop Landgraaf festival, Netherlands

Carlaatje

Thanks you for the reviews and the pics! :)

It's a pity that the crowd wasn't so interested in some songs, I'd have gladly traded my place with any them :P

So Glastonbury's next!

There are almost no pics of Will, anywhere.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got back home late last night after a long day at Pinkpop. I had a wonderful time.

I don't think the crowd was bad. If it was a bit more subdued compared to Werchter two years ago, I think it was because of the time. Coldplay was scheduled at 9pm, which is very early. It was still light when they started their set. At Werchter, Rock am Ring, the headliners are on a lot later in the evening and that automatically creates a different atmosphere. There's a longer build-up.

You couldn't be more wrong! A couple us waited for 3 HOURS before finally getting to the front area, and we were nearly crushed to death by the hundreds of people behind us. And where we were standing the crowd were all screaming and dancing! Don't be too quick in judging us.. And Chris looked extremely happy with us, just sayin'.

Very true, at the front we were going nuts, I've jumped all the time and All the guys looked very happy with us indeed! So yeah, at the back people might've been a bit lame, but at the front it was great!

And they were amazing!! They really were, I think they were better than at Rock am Ring, and I can't wait to see the high quality video's of it!

It was a shame thought that it was still light when they started.

But I just, loved it to bits, and loved meeting Coldplayers and being there with Coldplayers!

First of all, I have to say that coldplayers are pretty awesome people. Loved meeting all of you! You guys (well, girls actually) rock! :)

I remembered Pinkpop as being a very well organised festival, but I guess that is no longer the case. There was:

- Complete chaos at the parking lots.

- Chaos in front of the campsites.

- Chaos at the entrance (we got in quite early, but it seems that it got out of hand after we entered).

- They cleared the front area after every band. As a result, Elbow played in front of a half empty pit, since a lot of people were waiting for Coldplay. I was so angry when they told us to leave the pit after De Staat, that I didn't even bother to queue for the front area anymore. We got some good spots at the barrier behind the front area. Would have preferred to be at the front with the rest of you coldplayers though. Glad you all seemed to be able to make front row!

- From where I was standing, I could see a lot of pushing when they opened the gates for Coldplay. I'm amazed noone got hurt. At some point they stopped letting people in, even though the front area was still half empty. They reopened the gates before Coldplay came on and this resulted in a lot of drunken and uninterested people being able to enter the front area. A lot of people who had been queueing for Coldplay had left by then. And that was the major reason why the crowd may have seemed so bad. The pit was half empty and lots of uninterested people at the back. At the front (and behind the pit), people were going nuts though!

- Oh, there was almost no cellphone reception at times and a lot of the cash machines did not seem to be working.

But enough about the organisation. This must have been the best setlist I have ever heard them play. A great mixture between all the albums and the new stuff! The gig reminded me a bit of the AROBTTH tour. The band was standing much closer to each other than they did during the two previous tours. This made them sound (and look) a lot tighter. Even though I loved the Viva La Vida tour, the catwalk and C-stage sometimes gave the gig (and band) a bit of a disjointed feel. This gig was a lot more focused and rocked a lot harder. It's a bit of a shame that you didn't get the full effect of the light show (and fireworks) because it only got dark during the last couple of songs.

Highlights for me were:

- The first couple of songs really hit hard! High energy from Hurts Like Heaven up until Lost. Definitely the best opening sequence of songs they've ever done.

- Trouble. Wow. Just wow. I was so not expecting this. And it sounded as good as it ever did. This song should be part of every Coldplay gig. Magical moment.

- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. This has got to be the highlight of the gig. A brilliant version of such a great song. Got goosebumps when Chris started the intro and then again when Jonny started playing the riff.

- Us Against The World. Loved the way each band member came on separately.

- Charlie Brown. This is a MONSTER live song. It already got a crowd response similar to the one you would get for In My Place or Clocks. Imagine how this will be like once they release it as a single. This could become one of their biggest songs.

- Life Is For Living. Nine long years since I last heard this live. Goosebumps during the entire song. Glad they brought this one back. I hope it stays in the setlist for the rest of the tour. It works great as a closer of the main set (I thought it always felt a bit out of place as a closer of the encores during the AROBTTH tour).

- Fix You. The only X&Y song and I'm glad they kept it in the setlist. Great encore song!

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Whatever you think about the song, it is the perfect set closer. I even think it's the best closing song they've ever had. It just works great at festivals!

Definitely one of their strongest performances I have ever seen. It could have been even better if it had been dark during the entire gig, but that doesn't substract anything from the band's performance.

This tour is going to blow everything away once it will hit arenas and stadiums. I don't think they have ever been this good so early in a tour.:)