✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

Guest howyousawtheworld
I've never seen a band like these guys mature in an opposite fashion. Soon enough they'll be doing a kids bop next album.

Fair point. They looked much much older than their mid twenties in the AROBTTH era. In fact Chris Martin himself looked at least 40 years old! I can see why people want them to go back to that. But these costumes do make them look much more "youth oriented".

Next album dressed in Teletubbies costumes? But in all honesty I don't have an issue with what they're wearing. It's not offensive but I feel for many of you it's on the uncomfortable side of acceptable.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as your first paragraph, we kinda had a discussion in the Muse thread about this, and someone made a great point about how people (particularly in the UK, if I recall correctly) get slags of hate just for being Coldplay fans. Reacting the way they do has kinda become a natural reflex. I'm not excusing them or anything, particularly because I know that some people in the Coldplay section get angry over literally nothing, but I can somewhat understand why they are that way.

Anyway, LOVE this post. I highly approve. :thumbsup:

Ohhh, no you didn't just refer to me as a someone :laugh3:

I can't help but be anxious to hear it.

Lyrics got more and more crap.

Album art us fucking hideous.

Hate costumes... These ones aren't as bad though.

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one who think that it's crap. I'm really excited for the song, but then again, i'm very scared of it being like Rebecca Black's Friday.

Lyrics bad. Title bad. Usually I don't care about these kinds of things, but jesus.

I don't think Chris Martin realizes that people want a respectable new album, not a bright sparkly one. And yes, I'm going to blame most of this on him. Although the rest of the band are responsible for not telling Chris Martin how bad the title and lyrics are. I can't believe they let him write this. I can just see him thinking up the title and going OH GOD, YES. THIS TITLE IS SO GOOD. :shocked3:

And I wish they would just go back to NORMAL CLOTHES. Don't care for the art either.

Just have to hope that this song doesn't reflect too much on the rest of the album. That being said I"ll have to hear the song to be able to make my final decision on it, but it's not looking promising.

You hit the nail on the head Lauren I completely agree.

Right it's all his fault.

The other guys are mute, right?

They're not forced into giving the go on these songs or wearing the costumes.

They're all to blame for this shitfest.

I mean we all know that Chris has the biggest pull with the band. But to be honest I kind of see the other members going along. I mean Jonny is Chris's bitch :lol: and Will to me just seems like the kind of guy to me at least that adds to some ideas and goes along with it. The only member I don't see as being into it is Guy. To me since he's so quiet I can just imagine him thinking "what the hell am I still doing in this band?" :lol:

and Will to me just seems like the kind of guy to me at least that adds to some ideas and goes along with it

I know he is a big part of the "hell yes" and "fuck no" in terms of decision-making, but I would like to see him even more involved with the presentation. Sure he's not the most magnificent drummer in the world, but I think he's got more talent than the other three combined because he can play any instrument you throw at him (and play it very well, considering he wasn't a drummer to begin with and his first choice would have been guitar but they already had that). Plus I think he has a much better and more "consistent" singing voice than Chris, I'd like to hear more of him; unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

Fair point. They looked much much older than their mid twenties in the AROBTTH era. In fact Chris Martin himself looked at least 40 years old! I can see why people want them to go back to that. But these costumes do make them look much more "youth oriented".

Next album dressed in Teletubbies costumes? But in all honesty I don't have an issue with what they're wearing. It's not offensive but I feel for many of you it's on the uncomfortable side of acceptable.

Fun fact. First time I heard of Coldplay I saw a picture of them inside a TV guide or something advertising their concert that was going to be on CBC the next week. I thought they were old guys based on the black and white picture of Chris Martin.

Something that keeps me positive: I've really loved the two songs they've done since VLV, "Don Quixote/Spanish Rain" and "Christmas Lights," and Prospekt's March contains most of my favorite songs from the VLV era. I think "Christmas Lights" in particular had some really lame lines in it, but I still think it's a decent song as it stands. Like I say, I think I have a decent amount of faith in them musically, even though I do think in the past few years they've been going too "grand" with things and would probably benefit from stripping back, but I think it's a shame their lyrics are going down the toilet, and I'd like to see them taking a different tact with marketing and publicity and who they're aiming to please with their work.

I think it's a shame their lyrics are going down the toilet, and I'd like to see them taking a different tact with marketing and publicity and who they're aiming to please with their work.

EXACTLY!

I'd like to see them taking a different tact with marketing and publicity and who they're aiming to please with their work.

Well after this album they will have fulfilled their contract with Parlophone/EMI, so maybe afterward they can pull a Radiohead and jump ship. I think that would definitely be to their benefit.

And I actually don't really see it as a Christmas song just because it says Christmas in it... it's more of a "love lost, hoping it will come again" type of song.

edit: And yeah, what Kat said... it's the memories of the video (shoot) that are the best part. :blush:

I loved it at first, it works good as a Christmas song but that's all, I don't like it that much now.

Same here. And since I don't celebrate Christmas, the song didn't put too much impact on me. :shrug:

I really like Christmas Lights too. Of course I associate all the memories of the day with it too, but to be honest, the first time we heard it on the boat and stuff, I wasn't that wowed by it as a song. It started to grow on me later after the 400+ times I heard it at the shoot :lol:. Now I think it's safe to say I still really love it as a song, separate from all the personal memories I associate with it :shrug:.

Well after this album they will have fulfilled their contract with Parlophone/EMI, so maybe afterward they can pull a Radiohead and jump ship. I think that would definitely be to their benefit.

I HOPE they do. Something tells me they won't go independent or anything, even though I think they SHOULD, but I'd love to see them get away from a big label. My hope would be that once they're on their own, they would be without so many people pressuring them to do really commercial things at an ailing label that needs to make massive amounts of money.

I don't completely blame EMI or their PR for their choices, though. Obviously the guys are going along with it and coming up with ideas of their own. I'm just tired of the gimmicks and flashiness, wherever they come from.

I am terrified for them as a band.

They could prove me wrong ... hopefully for their sake they do.

But everything at this point looks pretty bad.

So sad to say, but this is so true.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong though. I've never not liked a Coldplay song. I mean, there are ones I like less than others, but I listen to all of them. If this song is bad, it'd be the end of an era for me. And if this is bad, what does that say for the album? Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

Coldplay's been apart of my life for almost seven years now and I don't want that to end.

But it very well could.

So sad to say, but this is so true.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong though. I've never not liked a Coldplay song. I mean, there are ones I like less than others, but I listen to all of them. If this song is bad, it'd be the end of an era for me. And if this is bad, what does that say for the album? Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

Coldplay's been apart of my life for almost seven years now and I don't want that to end.

But it very well could.

This is the exact thing I'm worried about. As much as I want new music that I really enjoy, I also don't want it to be bad for sentimental reasons. It may be fangirly to say, but I don't want to lose my passion for them. I don't really mind loving them in new ways like I did with VLV, but I don't know how I'll handle real lack of musical quality.

This is the exact thing I'm worried about. As much as I want new music that I really enjoy, I also don't want it to be bad for sentimental reasons. It may be fangirly to say, but I don't want to lose my passion for them. I don't really mind loving them in new ways like I did with VLV, but I don't know how I'll handle real lack of musical quality.

I know. :uhoh:. I want the times back where, well, where they were my band.

Of course I want to like this song honestly. But I'm even more worried about losing them to this mainstream feel.

Chris isn't the best lyricist in the world, I'll admit that. But these are probably his worst yet.

At first I really loved the lyrics and the artwork, but the more I think about it, the more skeptical I get. I really, really want to love the song and the album, but I'm worried that I won't be able to. I'm going to try not to make any judgments or have any expectations, then I won't be disappointed if it's not what I was expecting or hoping for.

At the same time, though, I feel like even if this song or (God forbid) the whole album is a flop, everyone makes mistakes and does work that isn't their best. Just because this may not be their best work doesn't mean that they won't do better work in the future.