✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer it if they dropped all this costumes nonsense and just go back to looking like a normal rock band. It would make it easier to take them seriously.

:thumbsup:

I totally agree with you and I read the whole post :P

And well, I think coldplay was my "starter band" before them I was 13 years old and I was into pop music :lol:

My starter band was The Strokes, haha! And look who I'm most obsessed with now again, exactly ten years later...:lol:. I also liked early Green Day around that time, though, which I guess is slightly more embarrassing...but I maintain their earliest stuff has some value.

After that, I went into a hardcore Beatles phase, and after that, Coldplay. I will say that Coldplay, mainly this board, introduced me to a much wider spectrum of music that set me on a course of getting serious about wanting to work in the industry. And as much as maybe I haven't been AS enthusiastic about Coldplay post-AROBTTH, I still really have loved their last two albums, just in different ways.

Like some 'introduction to classical music' class, only it's rock and roll?!

I suppose music fits the times, perhaps that is why some eras are more memorable than others?

But when one thinks of it, lyrics are devices for conveying feelings and emotional ideas of sorts; taken out of the context and feeling of the music they're in, and the lyrics look odd indeed! But put the pieces together, and things begin to harmonize.

I wonder if we compare a before and after view of them, what that might reveal?

Poetry is one thing, music is another.

Lyrics bad. Title bad. Usually I don't care about these kinds of things, but jesus.

I don't think Chris Martin realizes that people want a respectable new album, not a bright sparkly one. And yes, I'm going to blame most of this on him. Although the rest of the band are responsible for not telling Chris Martin how bad the title and lyrics are. I can't believe they let him write this. I can just see him thinking up the title and going OH GOD, YES. THIS TITLE IS SO GOOD. :shocked3:

And I wish they would just go back to NORMAL CLOTHES. Don't care for the art either.

Just have to hope that this song doesn't reflect too much on the rest of the album. That being said I"ll have to hear the song to be able to make my final decision on it, but it's not looking promising.

Lyrics bad. Title bad. Usually I don't care about these kinds of things, but jesus.

I don't think Chris Martin realizes that people want a respectable new album, not a bright sparkly one. And yes, I'm going to blame most of this on him. Although the rest of the band are responsible for not telling Chris Martin how bad the title and lyrics are. I can't believe they let him write this. I can just see him thinking up the title and going OH GOD, YES. THIS TITLE IS SO GOOD. :shocked3:

And I wish they would just go back to NORMAL CLOTHES. Don't care for the art either.

Just have to hope that this song doesn't reflect too much on the rest of the album. That being said I"ll have to hear the song to be able to make my final decision on it, but it's not looking promising.

Right it's all his fault.

The other guys are mute, right?

They're not forced into giving the go on these songs or wearing the costumes.

They're all to blame for this shitfest.

In case you didn't notice I said that I give blame to the others too but it's mostly his fault.

That sounded a bit harsh. Didn't mean for it to be.

But I don't know. It's just as much their fault for putting their names on it and letting him get away with it.

They obviously think its good.

That sounded a bit harsh. Didn't mean for it to be.

But I don't know. It's just as much their fault for putting their names on it and letting him get away with it.

They obviously think its good.

True. I just wish that Will and Guy would get feisty again. They used to challenge Chris on stuff if they didn't like it, and yah I guess if they let this through they must have been ok with it, but it's just hard for me to accept that the same guys who have problems with some of the past songs (which are much better) and don't want to play them live would be ok with stuff like this. :/

I really just will have to wait and hear it.

True. I just wish that Will and Guy would get feisty again. They used to challenge Chris on stuff if they didn't like it, and yah I guess if they let this through they must have been ok with it, but it's just hard for me to accept that the same guys who have problems with some of the past songs (which are much better) and don't want to play them live would be ok with stuff like this. :/

I really just will have to wait and hear it.

Yeah. I know what you mean.

I've feel like they've all lost it.

Pitchfork probably got it right with this quote - If there's one band that shouldn't be releasing lyrics before people hear the actual music, it's probably Coldplay.

I was basically thinking the same thing, but I just had a eureka moment. Maybe it was already stated somewhere in the Coldplay section and I just didn't see it.

They probably wouldn't have released the lyrics if they didn't have to perform it in front of tens of thousands of people this weekend in a country where English is not the first language. Yeah the crowd probably could have figured it out in advance, but it's a mere two days from now. Gotta make sure the crowd lip-syncs all the words to all the songs, ya know.

Mmm hmmm.

I wasn't really following al that new stuff , where everyone's so excited about ...

So it's kinda a suprise for me , that there'll be a single coming out ! ...

And to be honest , I'm a bit disappointed ... :blank:

The title only , is cheesy and stupid (imo) ...

not to speak about the lyrics ..

But lyrics don't always matter that much ...

You can have shit lyrics and an awesome song ...

I hope that's the case with Coldplay ...

For the outfits , I just wonder

Why can't they just be themselves and dress normal ???

Music is important , not your looks or clothes !

I also hope they didn't go even more soft....

Keep up with the rock, and I hope they don't go too pop'y (which is already the case :confused:)

We'll have to see and find out ! :\

But lyrics don't always matter that much ...

You can have shit lyrics and an awesome song ...

I hope that's the case with Coldplay ...

It always has been in the past.

I also hope they didn't go even more soft....

Keep up with the rock, and I hope they don't go too pop'y (which is already the case :confused:)

I agree 100%. Coldplay are at their best when they're darker and slightly heavier I feel.

Oh, it's fine! I didn't mean it in a bad way :nice:

Ahhh, mkay! :nice:

I get the feeling sometimes that Eno's just trolling with them, like:

"WOW WILL. ARE YOU DRUMMING IN 3/4 INSTEAD OF 4/4?? HOLLLY SHIT. THAT IS SOOO ORIGINAL. KEEP THEM CREATIVE JUICES FLOWING. This is basically a super hip reinvention of an old-fashioned waltz. Did you know that's what a waltz is? Will is drumming a waltz. Speak to your hearts and listen hard to what they have to say. Then write lyrics. Use imagery!!!"

then he goes home and tells his wife and they laugh over the day's trollings

:laugh3:

Just wanted to say that if the lyrics were some really deep and dark lyrics,all of you would say that they're trying to hard with these lyrics,why cant they keep it more simple

No, we really wouldn't. :|

i already have to deal with adam young's horrible choice of the lead atbab single and now this? :P

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't listened to that yet. :tongue:

but at the end of the day it's all about the quality of the album.

Quite right, man.

I was using "gem" sarcastically. :dozey:

Yeah, I kinda figured that out long before you posted this...

WILL ANYBODY ELSE PRAISE MY FUNNY?!?!

tumblr_lm35d9gIAS1qb13amo1_500.jpg

COLDPLAY: TLC COVER BAND

Chris “T-BOZ” MARTIN

GUY ”LEFT EYE” BERRYMAN

JONNY “CHILLI” BUCKLAND

AAAND… WILL CHAMPION

Every Teardrop is a Waterfalls

*LP5 PREDICTIONS*

Oh, God. :lol:

UGH, I'm so glad this thread exists. This is a perfect example of how Coldplay fans can be skeptical and worried while still being fair. I hate how any expression of "hmm, this seems a bit sub-par" is met with "OMGZ YOU'RE A BAD FAN AND ARE OFFENDING THE BAND" in the Coldplay section. Has Coldplaying always been this immature and dramatic, or am I just too old to put up with it as much now?

Everyone remembers that I make super-long posts, right? :P So here I go.

I think the lyrics and title are terrible. I've been pretty aware that Chris has been on the downhill slope with lyrics since AROBTTH, at least in my opinion (minus a few great lines here and there), but these are just kind of embarrassing. I have a lot of faith in them musically, and I don't think lyrics are essential to the worth of a song, but at the same time, if Chris was once capable of writing a song like "Amsterdam," which I think is my favorite of his lyrics, I don't see how eight years later he can be writing "Wa-wa-wa waterfall."

I'm totally reserving judgement til I hear the song: I thought most of the titles of the songs on VLV (as well as the album title) were highly concerning, but I think the ones with the worst names in my opinion ended up being my favorites. Same with the lyrics: a lot of Chris's lyrics taken out of context are cringeworthy, but I think they almost always work with the song. That doesn't mean I'm not worried, though.

I said this in the main thread in the Coldplay section: I'll always be one of those fans that love the first two albums the most, but I also don't think I'll really dislike what they produce, either. It's just kind of weird for something you loved so much to change to the point where you're worried about whether or not you'll still love them the same amount. Inevitable? Probably. Everyone understands that bands evolve and change. But to me, Coldplay seem like they've been so concerned with making "a grand statement" with their artwork and clothes and live shows ever since X&Y, and I wish they'd just strip all the gimmicks away and just get themselves on a plain stage again and pour all their efforts into making something that maybe isn't as "marketable," but that has as much depth and feeling as I think their earliest work did. Musically, I think they're still great, but I wish the rest of their efforts that have been put into "making their own clothes" and dressing to mach each other etc would be better put into churning out good lyrics again and looking like they put the music before everything else. I think they do, and it's their business team that's pushing them to be more and more commercial and poppy with their image and live shows and PR, but I think street-clothes and plainer live sets like the Crisis gigs would help hit that point home. It would help keep their older fans, and attract a more mature, loyal set of new fans that take music seriously. I don't want Coldplay to become some "starter band" for teenagers to use as a bridge between the really bad radio crap and *real music* (whatever that means, but you know, things that aren't necessarily Top 40 and marketed like they're beating a dead horse). I want them to BE the real, critically-acclaimed music. I think they used to be, and I hope they can be taken more seriously again someday.

As far as your first paragraph, we kinda had a discussion in the Muse thread about this, and someone made a great point about how people (particularly in the UK, if I recall correctly) get slags of hate just for being Coldplay fans. Reacting the way they do has kinda become a natural reflex. I'm not excusing them or anything, particularly because I know that some people in the Coldplay section get angry over literally nothing, but I can somewhat understand why they are that way.

Anyway, LOVE this post. I highly approve. :thumbsup:

I've never seen a band like these guys mature in an opposite fashion. Soon enough they'll be doing a kids bop next album.

Oh, God, no. I saw a commercial for "Kidz Bop 19" the other day, and it was horrible. :bigcry:

However, hopefully none of this will matter too much when it comes to finally getting to hear the song. It could sound like anything for all we know, though I'm hoping it won't be a Christmas Lights II or anything like that.

If this sounds like "Christmas Lights," I will not be a happy camper.

So glad I found this thread.

Pitchfork probably got it right with this quote - If there's one band that shouldn't be releasing lyrics before people hear the actual music, it's probably Coldplay.

I mean lets be honest, Chris has never been the greatest lyricist in the world. Just listen to Viva la Vida. But they usually manage to get away with less-than-amazing wordplay because of the way the music sounds and the melodies flow so I tend not to care. But releasing all the lyrics before the song itself was a bad move for them. Reading the words without having any sort of melody going along with it just makes them seem awful. And I'm sure knowing these lyrics before actually hearing the song is going to be quite distracting when I finally hear it on Friday.

The cover artwork is disappointing too, the tacky use of fonts looks like something I could've done at home. A real shame given how great I thought the Multicolour Man looked. If the graffiti theme is what they're going for then they probably could've just graffiti'd the song tag on a wall and taken a photo of it or something. Though that might prove too similar to the Viva la Vida single artworks. Who knows.

The new look... couldn't care less really. Though I would prefer it if they dropped all this costumes nonsense and just go back to looking like a normal rock band. It would make it easier to take them seriously.

And "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" is a terrible terrible song title no matter how you look at it .

However, hopefully none of this will matter too much when it comes to finally getting to hear the song. It could sound like anything for all we know, though I'm hoping it won't be a Christmas Lights II or anything like that.

I generally agree with this. I also agree with most of what Chelsea said. I'm kind of too lazy to bother adding anything else. I think everything that can be said has been said. And now we wait......