✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Q302 - September 2011 - 'Laughing Boys' article (Coldplay) - Scan and transcript on pg. 8

busybeeburns

Great News

I for one am really glad that ETIAW is on LP5. Why is everybody else so against it? It's by far the most uplifting, euphoric and vital songs they've ever written. I find it bizarre that fans can dislike a song which is so in line with a bands creative curve and is so musically adventurous.

Am so glad LP5 is close, and by what we've heard so far, it'll be in incredible. Let's face it, we were worried about x&y, we were worried about VLV, and both turned out to be incredible. Let's just trust the boys we love so much to deliver something we'll love for years.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

music_coldplay_1.jpg

Coldplay 'tested new album in old village hall'

(The Beehive! :laugh3:)

Coldplay drummer Will Champion has revealed that the band tested their new material in an old village hall. The 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' star said that the group wanted to make sure the tracks translated well to a live setting.

Speaking about their secret rehearsal space, nicknamed The Beehive, Champion told Q magazine: "It's like an old village hall. A big space where we can play together. "Often when you're making an album you can become alienated from one another in a studio environment. The Beehive was a deliberate move to get us playing together so we could get a feel of how the songs would sound as a live band as we were recording, instead of waiting until the record was done and then going out on the road."

Champion also confessed that the band will probably work on their new record right up until the last minute, saying: "We'll keep going until it literally has to leave to get mastered and pressed. They'll have to wrestle it out of our hands."

Coldplay's fifth studio album is expected to be released on October 24. Frontman Chris Martin reportedly registered new song titles earlier this month, including one called 'Mylo Xyloto', which has since been speculated to be a contender for the new album's name.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a331686/coldplay-tested-new-album-in-old-village-hall.html

OCTOBER 24! :cheesy:

Oh well, I was 20 days off with my prediction :P

I think I might be one of the only Coldplayers, or at least among Coldplayers that I know, that's happy that ETIAW seems to be on the album...I just really love that song :uhoh:

But LP5 being called "Mylo Xyloto"...:facepalm:. "MX" as a song/album title is SO similar to "X&Y" as a song/album title...come on, guys.

I for one am really glad that ETIAW is on LP5. Why is everybody else so against it? It's by far the most uplifting, euphoric and vital songs they've ever written. I find it bizarre that fans can dislike a song which is so in line with a bands creative curve and is so musically adventurous.

Am so glad LP5 is close, and by what we've heard so far, it'll be in incredible. Let's face it, we were worried about x&y, we were worried about VLV, and both turned out to be incredible. Let's just trust the boys we love so much to deliver something we'll love for years.

Although I disagree with you for the first part, you have a point. I think we should just wait and let the boys do their job...then we'll be able to form opinions. :shrug:

I don't know why everyone is so against Ever Teardrop Is A Waterfall.

It's a great song, one of the best I've heard in a long time. It would make a great closer too, seeing as alot of the songs seem to be about struggle and it's about liberation. Honestly, you can all have your opinion but it's just souding whiney to me. If you don't like what Coldplay's doing form your own band. Seriously.

This.

I have a special affection for ETIAW, I mean:

a) it's, to me, an incredible song -and yes, if that debate is still on, I do have a brain and I also like the band's old stuff!-

b) it's the first song they released for this new era. It carries a lot of new, fresh air with it.

I really wouldn't bother seeing it as LP5's closer.

But, indeed, like many people here, I also hope we'll hear A LOT of new songs, and really new, not the songs they played during festivals... except Charlie Brown... They have been working so long, with so many new titles, they just can't re-release Major Minus for example!

But if it makes artistically sense to them, the best thing to do is to shut up and just see what kind of new musical journey they prepared for us.

Such an article is also a lot about promotion...and in fact,ETiaW is a song that currently almost everyone knows. So may all those people read about this Q-Magazine article and decide or think about buying LP5 BECAUSE they like the song. Its not the matter if the song will be on the album then or not ;) just business

AGAIN?![/size][/font] I just don't get it. :angry:

I completely agree that releasing ETIAW (and MM) again is total overkill, but at the same time...I always figured it would be an album track, so I'm not surprised and didn't have a hope for things to be otherwise, where it was just a one-off, fun summer release. I think Coldplay are pretty precious with what they officially release and aren't the sort to leave off a song they're obviously proud of simply because they've already put it out as a single and EP track. Annoying, sure, because I'd MUCH rather exchange a song that we've already heard out for something brand-new, but I just don't see them being the sort to do that these days.

I think I might be one of the only Coldplayers, or at least among Coldplayers that I know, that's happy that ETIAW seems to be on the album...I just really love that song :uhoh:
You're not alone, I'm in +ve ETIAW camp, that song grows on me more every time I listen to it. Am pleased that it is there!

ETiAW was always going to be on the record the way it was promoted by the band.

If Major Minus is on the record, I'll be surprised given that it was for all intents and purposes, released as a B-side on an Extra Play for Every teardrop. Same for Moving to Mars. I can imagine HLH and CB being on the album, and people have a right to be pissed about it, but in all fairness, recordings can be so different from live performances so it's not going to ruin that aspect when you first listen to LP5.

The majority of those songs listed are probably very unfinished and never got worked on much after they were first started. The band probably had hundreds of song concepts with tentative names. They did the same thing for previous album cycles.

True, but still, they must have many finished songs which they could put on LP5, but it seems that, for some reason, ETiaW is of vital importance to them. So we'll be destitute of at least one new song.

You're not alone, I'm in +ve ETIAW camp, that song is growing on me every time I listen to it. Am pleased that it is there!

its just that the 'positive ETIAW' crowd is much quieter. the people who hate it just think that if they tell enough people and post over and over again about how much they hate it then that will magically boot it off the album

It's a great song, one of the best I've heard in a long time. It would make a great closer too, seeing as alot of the songs seem to be about struggle and it's about liberation. Honestly, you can all have your opinion but it's just souding whiney to me. If you don't like what Coldplay's doing form your own band. Seriously.

YES!! Freaking YES!! Thank you!! What a breath of fresh air!!! Agree 110%

:stunned: are you fuc***king serious!?!? this IS the worst song they have EVER released, i'll forgive them for Lost+ feat. Jay-z but this is ungodly unlistenable, this is offical SELLOUT music, cant stand it

YES!! Freaking YES!! Thank you!! What a breath of fresh air!!! Agree 110%
lol I love this forum

The only reason I would be disappointed if this is true is because I don't want to have heard over half the songs from festivals before the album comes out... Buuuuut either way I'm sure it will be great! I love all of the new songs, so it'll be great either way! (In my opinion)

Opinions are opinions but im sure there are some that are just following the more vocal negative crowd and not giving the song a chance. anyways im not losing sleep over whether someone like the same songs I do

Hi guys this story is going to run and run especially when scans appear. I'll be doing another article tomorrow possibly with a transcript or something, so I'll be taking some Coldplayer comments. Please keep them coming, many thanks! :D

I have no doubt that the album will be a vibrant record. After all, Coldplay is one of the best bands of the world. However, it is HIGHLY disappointing that "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" will be included, since must of us already have bought that track at least two times. I am looking forward to listen to the studio versions of tracks like Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown, but most of all I am eager to hear brand new tracks. Can't wait on the official announcement of the album name, release date and artwork. I bet it will be an album to remember.

Hi guys this story is going to run and run especially when scans appear. I'll be doing another article tomorrow possibly with a transcript or something, so I'll be taking some Coldplayer comments. Please keep them coming, many thanks! :D

I can do you a transcript in a bit Ian :)