✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Song (No LINKS ALLOWED) 16-10

foxeh

I like it. It's sexy sounding, no? It's like the electronic sounding cousin to "Yes."

It's different, but it's not bad at all. The female vocals are not overpowering and sound really damn good with Chris, to be honest (I was not expecting to like that aspect). Lyrically, it's skies above Paradise. But my one issue: Where are the instruments? This is a rock band...Can I hear Jonny? Can we turn the old lad up, please? Or is he jamming out on the synth? Jonny boy, I still have love for you and your Telecaster.

Listening to this one has made me realize that Coldplay want to make music everyone will be into. Not just the sad guys and ladies from the first two albums (me...), but the boys and girls who watch MTV, who text all the time and who don't even buy CD's anymore.

I know it's going to sound ridiculous to ask this 'cos they've been one of the biggest bands in the world for years...But does anyone else feel like Mylo Xyloto is going to be their 'mainstream' album?

Either way, nothing but love. I shall patiently wait for the rest, and with my hopes still up.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean. It's just... okay. It's definitely better than Paradise. I mean at least the lyrics aren't nearly as bad and meaningless this time. And Rihanna's better than I thought she would be. It's not absolutely terrible as I thought it would be. I think a high quality version will be better. I think there's still some unique Coldplay vibe too it. You can hear it in the synth melody and what little guitar there is. It's definitely no ARBH or Viva. But it could've been worse I guess... I'd give it a 6.5. Lower than the rest of the songs we've heard except Paradise which is still like 3.5-4.0. :P

Guest howyousawtheworld

Have to say I was expecting vitriol on these boards but this seems to have been well received all round.

This is actually starting to piss me off...I am REALLY disappointed. Guess I keep listening to the shit nazi quality versions of the live performance...WITHOUT THAT WHINING BITCH.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I was the only one who didn't like the studio version of this song. This should be "Rihanna featuring Coldplay"

The only part I really liked was the end and Rihanna's part. Chris should have sang "You could have been a princess and I'd be a king"

I don't think she sounds like a whining bitch lol but I think if they had done this song with the arrangement of the LIVE version, it would have been EPIC. This kind of sounds weird, but, I have a feeling it will grow on me.

I agree, the festival version was great. Chris is amazing, but when they sing together it is emotional and you hear Chris' voice sound different; they are both whining a bit. I love that its Coldplay a bit edgier and interesting. They are so versatile. Can't wait to hear the other songs. I've listened to this one at least 30 times already. My husband is gonna get damned sick of me...as he has since 2003 when I dragged him to our first Coldplay concert.

Coldplay, please NEVER stop making music. Ever.

Have to say I was expecting vitriol on these boards but this seems to have been well received all round.

I'm surprised by this too, actually, and was with Paradise. I feel like ETIAW got the most hate, and though I totally agree that it's nowhere near their best work, has terrible lyrics, and exemplifies the new direction and all that, I actually really like it. It has strains of Viva-era Coldplay in it to me, which has strains of earlier-era Coldplay in it, so therefore it connects into their career's "thread" to me while still evolving for better or for worse.

But Paradise and PoC I feel are HUGE departures into completely new ground for them. I thought by nature, something so different would leave half of the fandom loving it and half hating it, as the reaction to ETIAW was, but it seems like those two are getting more "eh, it's OK" ratings from people that previously spat all over ETIAW. I'm just interested in that, is all, because I have the opposite thing in my head.

ETIAW I didn't mind. I loathed the "I turn the music up" lyrics in the beginning, but after seriously listening to some of the other stuff I felt like Chris actually put meaning into it by using simple words. I think the song is decent, and really like it.

When Paradise came out the para-para-paradise didnt appeal to me in the beginning, but I embraced it because I loved the music, and still do. Its epic, and you can still detect certain roots from older Coldplay (The main bass riff reminds me of Warning sign, the interlude piano riff is very clocks-y, etc.)

But this song, i dont know. It just doesnt go well with me at all. The other songs are great in comparison to this. I know ETIAW and Paradise receives a lot of hate, but this is way worse in my humble opinion. Too many woah-oh-oh-oh-oh's, on and on , and on and on and on, and repetition of lyrics, an entire verse in the end of two lines. This was the laziest written song in terms of lyrics. This just talks about a breakup. Paradise and ETIAW's lyrics, although elementary and simple as hell, had more meaning to it. This is simple as hell and just talks about a shallow breakup, regret filled song about how one could have had riches but chose to separate instead. I will admit, the beginning lyric about "you're holding in your hands the two halves of my heart" is legit. Kudos on that.

Cause you really hurt me

Yeah you really hurt me.

Repeat like 8 times.

:facepalm:

Seriously? And no, I'm not an MX hater. I will admit I find this to be their weakest era, but I'm still fond of many of the songs coming out of this album.

*SIGH*

That song would make a good B-side, or a side project or something, but not an album song. I mean I really love the melody and was, well, I was rather unsure of what to think about Rihanna's part, and now I know why :| In my opinion the song would sound a LOT better if it was Chris singing an octave higher on the female part or something... or let Will sing it, for Coldplay's sake! he only part I like of this song is the outro, but then again the lyrics are ruining it.

I don't feel anything while listening to it, it just sounds like a run-of-the-mill song on radio you listen to at 1:00 in the morning.

:(