✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Princess of China and the similarity between a song of Vietnam !?

coldplaymix

I'd take this seriously if this weren't the most obscure song ever...

How would they have ever heard it?!

This.

Plus Coldplay lately has been aware of giving the credits .. With I go to rio and Cohen.

Dont think its plagirism at all.

Sounds similar,but not the same.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a reminisense of the chinese culture in my country some artists take pieces from indigenas music and they put in a song and nobody says anything.

its weird that someone found this song maybe its delivered.

This.

Plus Coldplay lately has been aware of giving the credits .. With I go to rio and Cohen.

Chris Martin could not be so sily that he copied the same from others. Many things are coincident, are they? song arrangement, hook, rythm, cord...

Maybe they were inspired by:

You are so funny.

Tomahawk Chop made by Seminole (in America) is totally different with hooks in Ra Ngo Tung Kinh and Prince of China in both melody and rhythm.

The beats of hooks in Ra Ngo Tung Kinh and POC are quite same. There is only several different notes at the end.

If Coldplay was insprited by the hook of Tomahowk Chop or Takk by Sigur Ros (as provided in their booklet of new Album), what would make their song related to CHINA in order to name it as Princess of China. Funny huh.

Besides, if you thoroughly listened to the 2 hooks in Ra Ngo Tung Kinh and Princess of China, it would be impossible to deny the fact that these hooks reminded you about buddism chant and Asia folks (including China and Vietnam).

Hm, or maybe both songs got their melodies inspired by a really old Chinese chant? So there's no copyright issue and it also could that that's where the title of Coldplay's song comes from?

Coldplay booklet states that they sample from Takk of Sigur Ros. They are so funny

Coldplay booklet states that they sample from Takk of Sigur Ros. They are so funny
They are so funny :|

Takk is definately in there. When you listen to the transition of U.F.O into Princess of China, then you'll hear Takk. What does that have to do with what I wrote? Sampling something doesn't necessary mean that most or even the whole melody of the song is like that sample.

They are so funny :|

Takk is definately in there. When you listen to the transition of U.F.O into Princess of China, then you'll hear Takk. What does that have to do with what I wrote? Sampling something doesn't necessary mean that most or even the whole melody of the song is like that sample.

Agreed. I have noted those slight similarities.

However, I wonder what's related to China? and the hook definately recalls the spirit of Asia and Buddism.

And yet, this song is more similar to Vietnamese song than Takk

Coldplay’s song resembles Vietnamese music

A song in English band Coldplay’s latest album “Mylo Xyloto” was found to have a striking resemblance to “Ra ngo tung kinh,” a song released in 2008 by Vietnamese diva Tran Thu Ha.

American music website ATRL was the first one to mention the resemblance.

One member shared a post called “Coldplay & Rihanna plagiarizing Vietnam music?” with the two music clips to compare, which has attracted five pages of comments.

Apart from the similar introduction piece, “Princess of China” by Coldplay featuring R'n'B singer Rihanna also has lyrics resembling Tran Thu Ha’s song, especially the chorus part.

Thanh Phuong, who arranged “Ra ngo tung kinh” for Ha’s 2008 “Tran Tien” album said he was very surprised when he listened to Coldplay’s track.

“I think the intro part of ‘Princess of China’ sounds 80 percent like the piece I wrote to mix for ‘Ra ngo tung kinh.’ It’s also the most important piece in the song.”

Phuong said probably when researching for their Eastern-inspired song, Coldplay may have come across Ha’s “Tran Tien”, as he was sure what he wrote for the song was original and not inspired by any popular folk music.

“If they say this is just a coincidence, it will hardly be convincing. However, it isn’t easy to conclude how they took the piece from the song and how much of it they used,” he admitted.

Phuong said he had contacted Tran Thu Ha to work out the problem.

“We want a fair game but it is also important how we do it. I have no experience in legal issues like this, especially against a famous international artist,” Phuong told Vnexpress newswire.

Tran Tien, Tran Thu Ha’s well-known uncle, who composed all the songs in the album which was named after him said he noticed the similarities between the two songs too.

“They may think I am just an unknown songwriter in Vietnam so they just copied my song at their will. It would be okay if they had sung it well, but I don’t like the way Rihanna did it,” Tien said.

But he added that he wouldn’t want to be involved in any legal issue.

Disputable copyright is not new to Coldplay, as the English band was sued by singer Joe Satriani for using a part of his “If I could fly” song for their Grammy-winning “Viva La Vida” in 2009.

In September the same year, they went to court in Los Angeles in the US again when their new music video “Straberry Swing” was claimed to be a copy of the MV “Something Else” released one year earlier by singer Andy J. Gallagher.

Vietnamese songs like Duy Manh’s “Kiep Do Den” or “Vang Trang Khoc” by Nguyen Van Chung were also plagiarized by Cambodian singers, but no legal action has ever been taken.

link

Okay, hahaha, that rules out my suggestion about them having used an ancient Chinese tune.

Agreed. I have noted those slight similarities.

However, I wonder what's related to China? and the hook definately recalls the spirit of Asia and Buddism.

And yet, this song is more similar to Vietnamese song than Takk

Slight similarities? I think they used a proper sample of a part of Takk in there.

Agree though that the song in it's whole is similiar to that Vietnamese song and not to Takk, but that's also not what I have been saying before and neither what Coldplay did when they mentioned Takk in the CD booklet. Sampling is something different than saying that you copied a melody or were inspired by a song.

Coldplay’s song resembles Vietnamese music

A song in English band Coldplay’s latest album “Mylo Xyloto” was found to have a striking resemblance to “Ra ngo tung kinh,” a song released in 2008 by Vietnamese diva Tran Thu Ha.

American music website ATRL was the first one to mention the resemblance.

One member shared a post called “Coldplay & Rihanna plagiarizing Vietnam music?” with the two music clips to compare, which has attracted five pages of comments.

uh-oh :stunned: And so it starts with a single article.....

You guys have to be kidding me. For all we know he could have stolen that melody from this.

or he could just not have stolen it at all. :rolleyes:

ahaha, i'm laughing my ass off imagining Chris listening to this song and dancing to it :P

Oh God, here we go again :(

It is undeniably similar, but like someone else said, the song is so so obscure and it's not like that melody is complex.

I kinda think if they honestly had been plagiarising that the whole Joe Satriani mess would be enough to put them off for life. Yes, it got swept under the carpet, but it has tarnished their repuation forever, it is mentioned in almost every single article about them. I honestly think that after all they went through in 2009 that they wouldn't be stupid enough to knowingly plagiarise again.

This is going to cause them problems, yes, but I do think in this instance they're innocent.

Yes, because Vietnam=China :thumbsup:

The intro in both songs is no traditional music, it may somehow sound like prayers in buddhism but it is not Vietnamese nor Chinese traditional pieces.

And the most important thing is that Vietnam is not China as you mentioned, not even close. To most Vietnamese, me for instance, it's quite insulting. :veryangry2:

The intro in both songs is no traditional music, it may somehow sound like prayers in buddhism but it is not Vietnamese nor Chinese traditional pieces.

And the most important thing is that Vietnam is not China as you mentioned, not even close. To most Vietnamese, me for instance, it's quite insulting. :veryangry2:

I think that the person was being sarcastic. He was making the same point as you: Vietnam is not China.

Vietnam is part of IndoChina though.

This.

Exactly, why would they credit their samples on some songs and not this one, it wouldn't make any sense.

Exactly, why would they credit their samples on some songs and not this one, it wouldn't make any sense.

The song is so obscure that they probably thought they could get away with plagiarizing it without anyone finding out about it, and maybe they've lost the ability to make their own music and don't want to have an album full of songs that are credited to other people /just theorizing.

The song is so obscure that they probably thought they could get away with plagiarizing it without anyone finding out about it, and maybe they've lost the ability to make their own music and don't want to have an album full of songs that are credited to other people /just theorizing.

With the www's world-wide audience, no song is obscure.

If anything, I think it would have been unintentional. We know they're able to give credit (Talk, ETIAW).

Funny, I think ETIAW might have been there way of addressing the Satriani thing with Viva... "copying" a song and giving credit for it. Then this comes up... wonder what that phonecall was like? "Ugh, Chris... POC is like a song from Vietnam"... "Shup up, you're f'ing shitting me mate"... "I shit you not Chris"... turns on internet... "WTF???".