✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Princess of China and the similarity between a song of Vietnam !?

coldplaymix

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that COLDPLAY is the only ones with cases like this? Its because they are famous EVERYWHERE. COLDPLAY have been giving credits and sources recently. Plus, the one theyve been talking about the most is the one they stole? I don't think so!

Sorry if it's kinda confusing. Really sleepy. :)

I know what you mean, it sounds so logical and I hope it's true...

:\

There's no way this could just be a coincidence.

Says you. I think you're talking nonsense though. I think there is a huge chance this could 100% be a coincidence.

If Coldplay really did "plagarise" this, they would have said so - like they did with Peter Allen.

I can't see how anyone can call themselves a Coldplay fan and then turn around and imply that the boys are this dishonest and shady. I think this is a total coincidence.

I want to believe this is a coincidence, but that would be two very big coincidences with 2 consecutive albums. Although they used a part of "I go to Rio" and got permission to use that for ETIAW. So why wouldn't they just do the same thing for Princess of China?

Maybe Will Champion is right and every chord progression has been written before; all that changes is its style based on who's performing it.

It could be Eno's influence behind this?

Agree. I also tend to think about this possibility. Brian Eno, specializing in ambient and world music, may listen to some asian songs (including this song) by accidence.

Album credits Takk by Sigur Ros but the mood of this song and the hook are bias to Asian music.

I want to believe this is a coincidence, but that would be two very big coincidences with 2 consecutive albums. Although they used a part of "I go to Rio" and got permission to use that for ETIAW. So why wouldn't they just do the same thing for Princess of China?

Maybe Will Champion is right and every chord progression has been written before; all that changes is its style based on who's performing it.

It makes no logical sense for coldplay to steal this hook. If they had truly heard the song before (Which I don't believe they ever have) they would have just sampled it and put her down as a co-writer.

After the Viva blow out, the last thing they would do is just plagarise something and try to keep it a secret.

There are seven billion people on Earth, the chances of this hook appearing before is pretty damn high.

I think it's just some freaky coincidence. Really. The boys wouldn't just steal some other chick's music after the whole fiasco with VLV.

I can hear the similarities though - especially during the first few mins of the song. I've only listen to PoC once and it was the live version and already I picked up the similarities.

However, I don't think it's intentional. I would like to believe that Coldplay won't do that.

I'm going to throw it out there that there's more than just chord progression to note. Duration of chords is also important. Almost identical chord progression isn't mindblowingly noteworthy by itself, but when you've got that plus almost identical duration of the chords...

I frown upon your avatar picture

I'm going to throw it out there that there's more than just chord progression to note. Duration of chords is also important. Almost identical chord progression isn't mindblowingly noteworthy by itself, but when you've got that plus almost identical duration of the chords...

Yeah, I think that's the main problem. I wish someone could put both parts in question over each other.

Whether or not the song is too obscure and unknown for Coldplay to have ever heard it is not really the question. There are striking similarities (I'd go as far as saying it's basically the same melody) so she could potentially and, considering that she has already hired a lawyer, most likely will cause a lot of trouble for the band.

I do agree that certain elements of the song remind of "typical" Asian songs, it's however more the way it is sung that reminds me. If the melody is actually a popular, old, often-used melody or her own work has to be decided by court though, I think.

I don't think anyone here really says it's intention from the band's side, but I don't only see her as someone who wants to get money out of this, because I think she does have a point and one that is a lot stronger than Joe Satriani's ... and look what that has done to the band.

You've got to be kidding...

It's a common descending melody and it's been used thousands of times before.

It's kind of the default melody in order to give a song (or a piece of music in general) an "asian feel".

It has nothing to do with chord duration: it's 4/4, the tempo is almost the same (or slightly different) but those are the only tempos the melody can sustain (try to make it any faster or slower and you would "lose" the melody), not to mention the Vietnamese song has an extra chord.

There's no "case" here, it's even worse than the Satriani bullshit.

It's a common descending melody and it's been used thousands of times before.

It's kind of the default melody in order to give a song (or a piece of music in general) an "asian feel".

If it's been used thousands of times before, surely you'll be able to provide examples....?

Moreover, have some songs in mind that give off this typical "asian feel" that so many seem to have knowledge about.

can we just leave the music alone? Coldplay has gone through enough criticism about MX already

The law suit is "likely" to happen, which means it does not even happen yet. Such a rush to look into things.

To be honest with you guys, plagiarism is a serious problem in Vietnam. Recently, a lot of Vietnamese singers have copy foreign songs and do not mention the original composers in their credit. One of the case, Bao Thy has "stolen" The Show by Lenka and it became serious when Lenka visited Vietnam. Lenka let it go and she is not as big as Coldplay. What i am trying to get here is that our four guys are not irresponsible jerks who did not credit their sample. So before you bash Coldplay, think about it.

Just relax for a while, listen to the rest of MX and wait for Coldplay's response. Dont waste anymore time fighting about what has not been done.

I'd like to thank you for having the balls to say this in here. :P

Am / C / Dm / F <----- Oldest Progression Ever

It's even similar to The Scientist's chords progression.

It's impossible to make a nonexistent chords progression nowadays.

In response, see my prior post:

Almost identical chord progression isn't mindblowingly noteworthy by itself, but when you've got that plus almost identical duration of the chords...[/color]

Now, Coldplay have been very diligent with MX in regard to giving credit to other artists where credit is due, whether it be with chord progressions, lyrics, etc. So given that they have been so diligent with giving credit, I don't think they would intentionally be like, "oh hey that sounds cool, why don't we use that, nobody will notice that it's from this lady's song."

However, whether or not it was intentional, whether or not they knew about this song, I'm not sure if that really matters. The lady had a prior officially released song, plain and simple. That would be like me driving to another State, and turning right on a red light (that's legal where I live as long as you stop first and look for traffic). If I get pulled over by the police in that State and they want to give me a traffic violation ticket, if I say "oh sorry I didn't realize that law existed here", he's not going to let me off simply because I said that I didn't know about it; not knowing about it doesn't make it okay. If Coldplay say, "we didn't realize that lady's song existed", this lady's lawyer isn't going to ignore it because they say they didn't know about it. To me this is much more obvious than the Satriani situation.

Do I want this lady to have a case against the band? Of course not.

Do I think this lady has a case against the band? Unfortunately, yes.