✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Wow! This album is getting slaughtered by the press and fans!

likeafire

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really am hoping to get into it someday, this for me so far is only their second album I did not love or like on first listen, the other one is "X&Y".

Coldplay have always relied on critics worshipping them and people buying their records to keep going, as when the critics turn against them, then the public might follow them like sheep.

I sincerely hope that this is not the beginning of the end.

Pop means popular music! Why is that bad? Some of the greatest albums of all time are pop. Mind you I suppose they would be as they're obviously popular!

You're playing with words.

By pop music, we mean Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Maroon 5, Cobra Starship..

Just look at the iTunes charts. :lol:

Coldplay featuring Britney Spears.

:ninja:

Well what does pop mean? I just think it's a ridiculous statement "Pop is bad"!!! Music is great full stop but we all have our preferences.

I'm sorry if you like her, but IMO, Britney Spears is not making music. Most of the pop artists don't sing live because their voices are too different in their records. No instruments ? Just technology. I hateeeeee that kind of music.

Music = instruments, voice, melody...

Can I add : good lyrics? Lyrics about drugs, sex, fame.... Oh please. We've seen it before. :inquisitive:

I was mixed on Viva at first and liked it way less a couple months after.

I'm sad for you, I know what it is to like a band so much and then hate them because of what they've become. :(

What? The reaction has been mostly positive from what I've seen. Just as positive/negative as Viva was. Or AROBTTH was.

Take a look at the forums just after a rush of blood came out. Everyone is moaning and saying that Parachutes was better.

According to Metacritic (which is an aggregate of "reputable" reviews), Mylo Xyloto's average rating is currently at 59%, the highest score being 8 out of 10. If the score stays where it is, then MX would be the lowest scoring Coldplay album. Granted, it's still a bit early as it only lists 18 reviews but the Metascore probably will be mid-60s at the highest.

Ouch, it's at 54 now. That's pretty bad. Their albums have never scored below 70 on metacritic.

the thing is though, if you look rolling stone, BBC, MTV, Q establishments which have pedigree have given it good reviews. Not drivvle like NME (SLY DIG) End of the day. It will sell millions, thats a fact Its a brilliant album, PoC will go to number 1 and we will all say 'we told you so'

I really don't care where it charts, I like the album because I like the music. As a full album listen, it's their 2nd best album to me after Viva. As individual songs, I'd put Charlie Brown and Us Against the World up there with any of their other hits.

Their first two albums are good albums but I can't believe how over rated some people have them. The 2nd half of AROBTTH is largely boring and Parachutes has several songs that pale in comparison to the live versions (Shiver most notably for me)

And all the complaining about them not fitting their own stereotype and being more pop (and yes, they've always had pop influences on the album). X&Y sounds more of a pop album to me than MX does.

Not being slammed by me :)

I think the mixed reception is probably because of just how jarring the transition was between styles- listen to Viva La Vida, Prospekt's March, even Christmas Lights... to go from the whole smart and tidy French Revolution thing and then suddenly GRAFFITI COLOUR PAINT HAPPY was probably just a bit too much for half of people!