✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Wow! This album is getting slaughtered by the press and fans!

likeafire

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... yup all these reviews are null, you know why? Go read the Washington Post's review. Not only does they state that lyrics from Paradise come from ETIAW but they state that the line "The wheel breaks the butterfly" is made up... so yeah.

Oh and also the same "journalist" who wrote the review also wrote the article "Fashion Do's and Don'ts of Fall Fashion" ... Seriously I feel like I should write a review based on the fact that I go to college...

Wow... yup all these reviews are null, you know why? Go read the Washington Post's review. Not only does they state that lyrics from Paradise come from ETIAW but they state that the line "The wheel breaks the butterfly" is made up... so yeah.

Washington Post's review has not been included in Metacritic's aggregate calculations.

MX is now down to 57% on 21 reviews.

You'll be surprised that if you actually read some of those bad reviews that they are mostly half assed reviews. Some of them honestly feels like the reviewer didn't even bother listening to the whole album before giving a review. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I honestly understand people's criticism. I had mixed reviews after worshiping their live performances of their new material for months. The studio stuff does sound different. But think about older albums - they sounded so similar live vs. studio (although the BEST live band EVER!) This is a treat now that we can hear some of the most incredible creativity ever produced with layers and layers of sounds that I can't get enough of (we started to hear that with VLV) and also have a great treat with the live performances. Coldplay will never be a disappointment to me. They are growing as artists and although new material is not ALWAYS an immediate favourite, it definitely grows on you. I think the success us serious fans are looking for helps support what we've been loving this last decade. To hear my husband defend Coldplay at work was a real treat. He's finally taken a drink of the kool-aid! Success! I guess that's what playing the album day and night does. Sang the opening verses of Paradise with my 4 year old to get him to sleep tonight with a big smile on his face. Gotta love it. :)

I LOVE the album, critics be damned. They are just people offering their opinions, which are as worthless as mine.

All I know is when I showed up at Target early this morning, there were about 15 customers in the store and 6 of us were buying MX and when my son stopped back later in the day, they were restocking the shelves.

I don't think we need to shed tears for Coldplay any time soon.

I have to say, for me, MX is not a welcomed direction. I don't like how over produced each song is, and too "pop" sounding. I understand that bands need to evolve their sound, but they have lost what makes their definitive sound, and that's a shame. But then again, every great band has their "zooropa" phase.

The only song that has any musical merit for me is Major Minus (the riff is incredible). Charlie Brown is good, but not great. Us Against the World has some great melodies, so I do like as well. All others just don't do it for me, so this album rates my least favorite by a landslide.

Again, just my opinion, so don't slam me for the sake that I've pissed you off because this is your favorite of "all time".

Mylo Xyloto translated to English means "Everything is Lost" :(

I LOVE the album, critics be damned. They are just people offering their opinions, which are as worthless as mine.

All I know is when I showed up at Target early this morning, there were about 15 customers in the store and 6 of us were buying MX and when my son stopped back later in the day, they were restocking the shelves.

I don't think we need to shed tears for Coldplay any time soon.

Very good point. Love it or hate it, Coldplay are doing just fine.

I respect most professional journalists, and I'm well aware that Coldplay has always taken a beating from the press...but the majority -- if not all -- of the really negative reviews (I'm talking scores of 50% or below) were just awful. Everyone and their mother is trying to find which songs on the record sound like other tracks, and it's quite honestly pathetic.

I have to say, for me, MX is not a welcomed direction. I don't like how over produced each song is, and too "pop" sounding. I understand that bands need to evolve their sound, but they have lost what makes their definitive sound, and that's a shame. But then again, every great band has their "zooropa" phase.

The only song that has any musical merit for me is Major Minus (the riff is incredible). Charlie Brown is good, but not great. Us Against the World has some great melodies, so I do like as well. All others just don't do it for me, so this album rates my least favorite by a landslide.

Again, just my opinion, so don't slam me for the sake that I've pissed you off because this is your favorite of "all time".

Near enough exacly what ive been thinking!

Its just too much going on in the songs instead of being that stripped back raw sound they used to have!

It seems like the main complaint about the album is the lyrics, which is a mostly valid complaint, I'd say. Lyrics like "Life goes on it gets so heavy" are pretty half-assed. But I think for the most part, we're not really supposed to be taking these lyrics silly. The title "Mylo Xyloto" tells me that the album is more about how it sounds than what it's saying--which isn't a whole lot.