✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Wow! This album is getting slaughtered by the press and fans!

likeafire

The problem is all journalists go in expecting classic coldplay.........and of course they bash them because they've changed their style. Also, their job isn't on the line, it's their opinion so they can say anything they want. You can never write and unbiased report/paper/review.......on anything, not just music

Here is a classic example of someone simply hating CP all together. You can tell this 'journalist' hated them before he even listened to MX. He even attacks chris personally which just shows why he isn't writing for a magazine or newpaper:

-----------------------------

Hearing for the first time the songs that will, inevitably and inexorably, become part of the fabric of Western life from X Factor auditions to shopping-centre muzak, is a strange and often depressing experience.

Mylo Xyloto is already guaranteed bigness, by the very fact of being the fifth album by Coldplay. But it takes no chances. This is a record that browbeats and bullies you into submission with its sheer massiveness, courtesy of producer Brian Eno.

"Hurts Like Heaven", the first song (barring the overture), sounds like LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends" played by idiots in boxing gloves, and that level of subtlety continues through every synth-smothered second.

At one point, unbelievably, Martin actually sings, straight-faced, "I'd rather be a comma than a full-stop". Strange. He has much more in common with a colon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...i-2374493.html

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a grower...keep on waiting! i really love this album after a few times listened to it. But i hope the next album has no autotunes and will be a little bit more back to the roots...i know that they are trying not to roll back, but i need another album like a rush of blood to the head...additionally U2 tried to sound like the earlier days with their last album!

It really is a grower. But unlike all the other albums before, there's not really a song that jumps out at me, that I connect to. And on each of the other albums there were numerous on first listen...

Parachutes: Yellow, Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, Trouble.

AROBTTH: Pretty much the whole album but in particular for me were: Warning Sign, In My Place, Green Eyes, A Rush of Blood to the Head.

X&Y: Talk, A Message, Fix You, What If.

VLVODAAHF: Yes, Strawberry Swing, Death and All His Friends, Lovers In Japan.

MX: Us Against the World is the only song that I can't stop humming or whistling.

So basically I'm just disappointed; I enjoy some of the other songs but I have NEVER skipped so many tracks on a Coldplay album as I have with this one.

It could be me, maybe my musical tastes have changed, but the fact that I still thoroughly enjoy each of the other albums, I don't think that's the case.

I too, hope that Coldplay do a more intimate album next (if at all). Just the band with their instruments, and some raw, delicate emotion.

Charlie Brown, HLH, DLIBYH and UATW all are stuck in my head and the only song I sometimes skip on MX is Major Minus.

Whereas I skip a fair few on X&Y and A Rush.

At an overall view of the songs on the album, as a group together, only Viva beats MX for me.

Coldplay have enjoyed absolutely nothing but success in the past 11-12 years, which is unusual for a band. They are due for a backlash of some sort, regardless of how good/bad an album is. The fact that MX is a "challenging" record isn't going to help this fact.

I personally think it's pretty good, and look forward to it growing on me. I don't think this album will be a flop, but it will probably be enough to cause a slight backlash, which will be followed by Coldplay revisiting (retreating) to the sounds of Parachutes and A Rush of blood. While I don't agree that they should repeat themselves, I do think that next time they need to be reigned in just a little bit, tone down the synths, and sound more like a 4 piece band again.

^I'd say MX is far from being "challenging."

Para-para-para, wa-wa-wa-wa...

LALALALALALALALALA

When she was just a girl she expected the world but it flew away from her reach :blank:

I mean I do love the album, but it's not "challenging" by any means. At all.

^I'd say MX is far from being "challenging."

Para-para-para, wa-wa-wa-wa...

LALALALALALALALALA

When she was just a girl she expected the world but it flew away from her reach :blank:

I mean I do love the album, but it's not "challenging" by any means. At all.

I thought I loved it, but that was just a knee-jerk reaction to finally getting a new Coldplay album. I like the album.

I think it's better than VLVODAAHF. It's got more of a contrast, from UFO to DLIBYH, or UIF to ETIAW. It might even be better than AROBTTH (not quite sure yet, still debating). It is a masterpiece, as all of Coldplay's albums are. This is different from all albums, and all albums are different from eachother. Thats what the world (and me!) like about Coldplay. They always have a different sound from every other artist out there. Now its getting more complicated with a more diverse music industry, finding something different is hard, but Coldplay managed to do it. And is was successful. So as Chris said, if you hate it, then burn it. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion, this was just mine.

Agreed. For some reason, so far I like it better than VLVODAAHF. Maybe because it's new. Maybe because it's different. I don't know. I just know I like more songs on this album than I liked on VLVODAAHF two days after release...

I like more songs on MX than I did VLV but damn VLV was atmospheric. Listening to that album start to finish is an experience.

Coldplay give away like 10% of their earnings to charity. If they were just chasing money I doubt they'd be doing that. They also perform a huge amount of free shows.

Remember guys, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's inherently evil or sinister or anything like that. I personally don't like X&Y but that doesn't mean I go around saying X&Y was anything other than the artistic choices Coldplay wanted to explore and create.

Yes, Mylo Xyloto sounds different to Coldplay circa 2002, but that's because they have changed and grown. Yes, there are hip hop and pop elements on the record - that's because the boys like that style of music and wish to try something a little different.

You don't have to like the music on MX. I'm sure even Chris Martin himself would understand. But please, don't act like children and claim ridiculous things just because you personally aren't happy. You lose a lot of integrity when you do that and people are far less likely to listen to what you have to say.

Just chill :) x

Coldplay give away like 10% of their earnings to charity. If they were just chasing money I doubt they'd be doing that. They also perform a huge amount of free shows.

Remember guys, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's inherently evil or sinister or anything like that. I personally don't like X&Y but that doesn't mean I go around saying X&Y was anything other than the artistic choices Coldplay wanted to explore and create.

Yes, Mylo Xyloto sounds different to Coldplay circa 2002, but that's because they have changed and grown. Yes, there are hip hop and pop elements on the record - that's because the boys like that style of music and wish to try something a little different.

You don't have to like the music on MX. I'm sure even Chris Martin himself would understand. But please, don't act like children and claim ridiculous things just because you personally aren't happy. You lose a lot of integrity when you do that and people are far less likely to listen to what you have to say.

Just chill :) x

Well said, I think X&Y is just an average album, but I wouldn't knock anyone for that being their favorite. For me, as full albums I think VLVODAAHF and MX far outstrip their first three. The second half of AROBTTH is largely boring on the album and Parachutes has a few songs I don't care for.

• 2 months later...

lol never thought id see my thread again lol. but i got it wrong, the people seem to love it, theyre nominated for numerous awards, got a shed load of number 1s including paradise.

plus, i love the album now, a bit hard to listen to it together as one piece because some of the songs dont go next to each other e.g. HLH next to paradise, but its brilliant, the songs on it are brilliant.

And i would say its made them more popular in the UK.

The reviews have settled at 65% on Metacritic.

Rihanna knocked off 5% I think. :D

MX is different. Different does not mean bad.

I cannot rank CP albums, I like one more than the other depending on mood.

It wasn't by any means a letdown for me.

As for the general public liking MX more than some CP fans, that's simple:

They prefer the more upbeat Coldplay. VLV wasn't their biggest hit coincidentally.

Furthermore, I feel that a lot of fans changed their minds after a while.

(I'm writing this for the 34753475 time) I was shocked by ETIAW, but now I love it.

People are naturally reserved when they encounter a change.

I felt that VLV was aiming lower than the atmospheric space symphony that was X&Y.

But eventually I fell in love with it...

I am kind of saturated by all the colors and the popiness, so they should get serious on LP6.

And knowing their history, they will. We will see a similar contrast as VLV-MX was.

Baroque-rock to electro-rock. Historic to urban. Who knows what LP6 will be like, but it definitely won't be like MX.

Reinvention is better than sticking to a formula, even if the formula is AROBTTH.

They can't return to their alternative roots of Parachutes, they're the biggest band in the world.

They have to soar to U2-esque heights... :wacky:

The way I look at it, people would burn them for sounding like AROBTTH, people would burn them for sounding new and different. The band cares about artistic growth, not pleasing every single fan and reviewer on the planet-which, let's face it, isn't possible. All that matters is whether you like the album or not. Haters gonna hate