✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[1-May-2012] Coldplay @ Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jenjie

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did everyone do for dinner yesterday? Did you bring food in, or eat at the Hollywood & Highland center before? I'm taking the Park and Ride shuttle at 4:40 today, so it's way too early to eat before I leave.

We ate really early at CPK at H&H (met my son who lives near there). Lots of restaurants at that center - from sit down to fast food. There is food inside the venue - before Coldplay came on, my husband and I shared a pulled pork sandwich was really good. There are places to get food inside, but the later you get there, the more crowded it was. There are also outside vendors selling hot dogs and grilled peppers/onions on the street.

Live review: Coldplay thrilling at Hollywood Bowl

coldplay1.jpg

What an air-tight Technicolor delight Coldplay presented Tuesday night at the Hollywood Bowl, the British quartet’s first of three sold-out shows at the landmark amphitheater, followed by a headlining turn Saturday in Irvine at KROQ’s 20th annual Weenie Roast.

We knew something fairly spectacular was in store just walking into the venue, at which point scores of assistants clutching thick, DayGlo-colored wristbands approached every patron insisting each pick a color. I snatched a green one, scoffed a bit at its Twitter sponsorship scrawl, then secured it snugly, forgetting all about the memento while enjoying English electro-pop outfit Metronomy’s satisfying warm-up set.

Where a watch face might go, these wristbands instead have a small plastic box with a smaller slit along one side. “Cool,” I thought as the lights went out and Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” yielded to John Williams’ theme from Back to the Future. “Maybe I’ll be able to shoot a laser beam from my wrist and feel like a real superhero.”

Why Coldplay would want to equip nearly 18,000 people with tchotchkes of such blinding potential, well, that I couldn’t figure out. Perhaps it would enable the crowd to virtually graffiti the Bowl’s shell in the same manner as the inside sleeve of the band’s fifth album, last October’s Mylo Xyloto.

Not exactly – their gimmick was more smartly employed than that. Within moments of taking the stage, as the group’s current title-track instrumental gave way to its lead-off salvo, “Hurts Like Heaven,” most of these wristbands (some were duds) began to glow a rainbow of colors as far as the eye could see, illuminating the night and flashing in time to the music, electronically triggered by who-knows-what.

Atop the Bowl’s shell came huge blasts of fireworks, like you only get on the Fourth of July. As “Heaven” wrapped and the familiar strains of “In My Place” started to chime, so too did giant confetti blasters throughout the venue begin to coat the crowd in wide slips of tissue paper – some shaped as birds, others as flames.

Two songs later, when frontman Chris Martin led his mates into first a rousing “Japanese Lovers” and then a Police-worthy call-and-response for “The Scientist,” enormous balloons (also stuffed with confetti) were launched into the amphitheater. Not just close to the stage, either: At every level of the Bowl, from the orchestra pit to cheaper seats high on the hill, these huge spheres could be seen bouncing above people’s heads.

It was practically carnival-like after a while, the ticker-tape celebration of Coldplay’s Viva la Vida shows of four years ago taken to the nth degree. You’d think it would have been too much too soon, an overwhelmingly joyful launch establishing a level of exuberance that surely couldn’t be sustained for the rest of a 90-minute set.

coldplayfans.jpg

Re-examining the show removed from its sudden impact, you realize there actually weren’t other tricks up Coldplay’s collective sleeves. The subtle shifts in mood (video screens switched to black-and-white) as well as position (the encore started with “Us Against the World” from a small makeshift stage in the middle of the venue) are stunts the group has handily pulled off before. Likewise, the fireworks finale for “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall,” though a sight to behold, merely piled on more of the same pyrotechnics.

Martin & Co. – Edge-y guitarist Jonny Buckland, anchoring bassist Guy Berryman, crucial linchpin Will Champion providing dynamic drumming (forceful like Dave Grohl one minute, nuanced like Stewart Copeland the next) – certainly recapture the thrillingly inspirational spirit that surges through the best of U2. For years now they’ve stamped it with their own similar-yet-distinct trademarks, particularly chant-worthy choruses with global appeal. But technological marvels they so far aren’t.

Whenever a gleaming new zillion-dollar production from Bono’s gang hits town, I’m left gawking, wondering “how’d they do that?” during at least a half-dozen tunes. I know exactly how Coldplay pulled off its frenzied party at the Bowl, and that’s the genius of it: They’ve taken the same materials countless superstars have used over the years and fashioned something entirely fresh out of them, creating an interactive experience that engages seemingly every member of the audience to a fuller extent than any arena-level show has before.

Even more impressive is that all this artifice never obscures the music, only enhances it.

I wasn’t wild about Mylo Xyloto when it dropped in fall – it seemed as much a confused comedown after another peak studio performance (2008’s Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends) as 2005’s sleek, sometimes soulless X&Y was to the band’s masterful monster A Rush of Blood to the Head from 2002. We Californian fans have had a long time to stew in the new material, while Coldplay has indulged only brief benefit sets locally (at Pauley Pavilion, at Club Nokia), always without the full-blown array they’ve been bringing to basketball halls from coast to coast.

The disc isn’t exactly improving as it sinks in; for every high-impact moment, whether over-the-top (“Paradise”) or minimalistic (“Us Against the World”), there’s another cut whose energy can turn sludgy from so much Eno-assisted glitter. Yet so much of that has been stripped away on stage.

Right off the bat, “Hurts Like Heaven” sounded less like an iffy attempt at mainstream electro-rock and more like a storming anthem, powered by Champion pounding. “Major Minus,” instantly among the most U2-like creations in the Coldplay catalog, was doubly so in its charging rendition at the Bowl, while “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart,” which led an invigorating string of selections to finish off the main set, came devoid of synthetic wash and soared ever higher because of its reliance on good old-fashioned guitar-rock.

In moments like that, you could detect what their new album might have become had they opted to fulfill a desire to get back to basics rather than chasing their next envelope-pushing whim.

coldplay2.jpg

On tour they’ve developed a convincing fusion of the two: What’s merely interesting on Mylo Xyloto (a concept album with a larval narrative about love among the futuristic ruins) has became positively commanding live, each new piece building from strength to strength.

Even lesser or quieter passages, like a mid-set pairing of “Princess of China” (Rihanna joined via video) and the soulful ache of “Up in Flames,” came across grippingly. The finesse the group brings equally to new and older material speaks to both road-seasoning and perfectly blended chemistry: Martin’s tender falsetto has never sounded so spot-on and heartwarming; Buckland’s guitar lines have rarely been so seamlessly integrated.

Many songs have been treated to blood transfusions, yet any twists – the lower-register lead-in for “Yellow,” the Springsteenian start to “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face,” an almost impossibly peppy pace for their greatest piece, the ballad “The Scientist” – never spoiled the overall feeling those well-established tracks need to convey. As with Martin’s once-spastic stage antics, now as controlled as his awestruck humility, all of these favorites have nestled into a power zone, surpassing their studio counterparts without sacrificing essential elements.

And oh those mighty singalongs! There are few bands on the planet so capable of ripping past people’s too-cool inhibitions to elicit immense cheer. Only for the Boss do L.A. crowds sing so ecstatically, and rarely will they do it at the Bowl. What a testament to the increasing magnetism of Coldplay, and what a rebuke to snoots who can’t see past their thesauruses long enough to hear a lastingly rousing hook when it grabs their soul.

The entire thing was so effortlessly buoyant, it seemed to fly past like a lost helium balloon about to get sucked into the ether – yet it also reasserted what a tremendous force this band has become. Easily one of the best shows of the year. No matter how much the Black Keys killed at Coachella, it’s still a shame this wasn’t the fest’s super-happy opening-night explosion, like Arcade Fire on steroids.

link

Photos

m3eom3-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el92.1.jpg

m3eom3-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el94.1.jpg

m3eom4-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el96.1.jpg

m3eom4-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el98.1.jpg

m3eom5-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el9d.1.jpg

m3eom5-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el9f.1.jpg

m3eom6-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el8s.1.jpg

m3eom6-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el9t.1.jpg

m3eom6-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17ela5.1.jpg

m3eom7-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17ela7.1.jpg

m3eom8-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17ela1.1.jpg

m3eom8-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el9n.1.jpg

m3eom9-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17el9v.1.jpg

m3eoma-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17elb4.1.jpg

m3eoma-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17elb6.1.jpg

m3eomb-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17elaq.1.jpg

m3eomm-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17eleq.1.jpg

m3eomm-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17eleu.1.jpg

m3eomn-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17eldh.1.jpg

m3eomn-b78945992z.120120502102605000gpa17elf0.1.jpg

For those asking about cameras:

May 2, 2012 - submitted by Saurabh, United States of America[/color][/b]

Q. The Hollywood Bowl site says that there are no cameras allowed so how are we expected to add to the live feed?

The Oracle replies:

I have addressed this already but I shall do so again because... it does not say there are no cameras allowed on their site.

What it actually says is:

"Flash photography, professional camera or recording equipment (including cameras with detachable lenses, any form of camera stand or audio/video recording devices), laser pointers or other electronic devices are prohibited."

You don't need flash anyway as it ruins the shot. If you're taking a non-professional camera or a phone that takes pics - you'll be fine.

I would never think they would use that part of the shell as a "Sreen" the visuals were even better than usual, nice :)

It was very cool. And they covered the hanging speakers on the front of the stage with white fabric so they also acted as a screen and didn't have black speakers detracting from the effects. Awesome. They think of everything :)

Review of Last Night's show

I'm always left with that bittersweet feeling at the end of each Coldplay concert I attend. They're playing 4 concerts this week here in SoCal and it's just torturous not being at the other 3. It's torturous because Coldplay put on such a fantastic show that it leaves you wanting more each time! They're my favorite band so it's no surprise then that I feel inclined to want to go to all their shows, but I understand that isn't always possible, and I'm truly grateful to just have the chance to see them.

Anyways about the concert...it was just mindblowing. From the Xylobands to the changes in how the songs are played, they left speechless. The most impacting part of the night was probably Yellow for me, and I've seen them perform that song each time I've gone to see them so it surprised me how they were able to make it even better this time. The beginning of Yellow with Chris on piano was beautiful, and while Chris was singing the song to us, I was singing it right back to Coldplay and meaning every single word I said.

Another moment (well moments) that left me in awe was when the Xylobands started flashing. I looked around the arena and it was truly mesmerizing. It definitely is a nice touch to the show, and when Chris asked everyone to raise their xylobands during Charlie Brown, that was just beautiful. I was surprised that there were also fireworks. I think they were a nice addition to the show; they really added to the grandiosity and excitement of the concert. The lasers, the confetti, the balloons, the stage visuals...were all perfect in making the night the grand spectacle that it is.

Before the show started I was trying to figure out what section Coldplay was going to be at for their C-Stage performance. It seemed like it was going to be in the section over next to mine since there was a white tarp over the roof of a little building they have in front of the seats in that section but I wasn't sure. I really hoped it was since it wasn't too far from me! :D I was right because when they played Us Against the world it was right there! :dance: I love that song, it's my favorite from MX. Chris asked us to welcome each member as they arrived on the small stage with him, and we did, cheering for each band member as they joined him! :D They all deserve special recognition. :heart:

All of the band members were in top form, as far as I could tell, and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. :) Chris was his usual energetic self running all over the place and doing his crazy dance moves and jumps. There was a lady dressed as an elephant so he noticed her and I think he was shaking her hand or patting her head (?) at one point. :lol: Will had so much energy on those drums!! Jonny and Guy were also flawless with their guitars. This was also the first time, I think, that I go to a Coldplay concert and Chris doesn't mess up on a song. :lol: I don't mind the messups actually though, they just add to the personality of the show. :) The crowd wasn't bad like I expected it to be, with it being an LA crowd, so that was good. In my area people were standing for most of the show, only sitting down for Up in Flames and Warning Sign, which I don't understand since I generally don't see why one can sit at a Coldplay concert! They also sang along and when they finished Paradise, said "goodbye", and left the crowd started doing the Oooh ooh oooooh part from Paradise to try to get them back on stage. That was pretty cool cause I definitely didn't expect that, but it was fun doing it. :D

Other outstanding moments for me was the Scientist for personal reasons. Really touching on a personal level, and I loved the singalong we did for it. :wacky: This was also the first time I heard Warning Sign, Don't Let it Break Your Heart, Up In Flames, and Princess of China live. Loved hearing them all, especially Warning Sign! My only critique was with Princess of China, it kind of bugged me that with Rihanna's part, the song was not in synch with her lips in the video...not a big deal I suppose since she's not actually there anyways but still..haha that bothered me a bit. :P

Viva La Vida was amazing live just as always. It's my favorite song so it's a joy to hear it live. Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven were also great crowd pleasers. I loved, loved, LOVED hearing Lovers in Japan again! I had been missing it from the setlist. Loved the song and it was nice seeing that they still had confetti during the song. :) Actually, I enjoyed every song. :lol:

It was a great concert. I had so much fun. I'm not sure if it's been my favorite one so far because each Coldplay concert has been so special to me. They're all my favorite. :P I'm not sure if this was the last concert for me with my sister since I'm going to college in Rhode Island for the next four years so it was nice sharing this with her again. I sure hope it's not my last time seeing them though! Here's to hoping they still want to make more albums and tour for them! I still hope they add another leg to this US tour though, and maybe I'll get to see them in Boston or NY when I'm over there in the fall! After all they still haven't added NY shows, I believe. :)

Can't wait t see Coldplay again and enjoy the happiness that their live shows bring me!

And to quote Mr. Roadie #42 "never a dull moment" at a Coldplay concert. ;)

It was very cool. And they covered the hanging speakers on the front of the stage with white fabric so they also acted as a screen and didn't have black speakers detracting from the effects. Awesome. They think of everything :)

Usually it's hard to get good visuals at the bowl because of the shape of the structure, so it's really cool they worked something out.

We got there early and parked at the lot at HOllywood and Highland. $10, and walked to the venue, about 1/2 mile. Parking around the venue was plentiful, but ranged in price from $20-35, lots of stacked parking and then getting out of that area looked to be pretty bad.

I was contemplating using the Lot across from the Bowl, the one with the park benches, but since I used the Hollywood and Highland lot before (for Jimmy Kimmel Live, well the recent Coldplay one), I will definitely use that instead when I go Friday night.

thanks for the reference Dianne. :)

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m-oZX7IGCM[/ame]

In My Place

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtqQA7DRLEg[/ame]

The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7C7B_VCXEg[/ame]

Yellow

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgEUM-utPrg[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=isK8A9kBYu8[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG8xE3fUsdY[/ame]

GPASUYF

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbZ9gt16MgQ[/ame]

Up In Flames

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjsAkuVDAM[/ame]

Warning Sign

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJydNw0ycw[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuRYpD6xqno[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxlQhJ9baU[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDFFEJw8xBU[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2uKGVhRGE[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQETCT75is[/ame]

Us Against The World

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA7U6Y2K9Ak[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=efOz51c8QCI[/ame]

Clocks/Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wRhqwMPvg[/ame]

Fix You/ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57DEUt1MxY[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYLBpWsVRY[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydGOIAe4Sq4[/ame]

(sorry it's so long, not easy for me to write anything or write reviews)I'd like to keep it as real as it could be. So years from now I could go back and read it again, and be happy again while reading again. ;) :) :heart:

Hollywood Bowl is inside as Chris sung last night. What a show and what a great time. The Hollywood Bowl was spectacular.

First, my attempt to park and ride was to be unsuccessful. Tried to catch the shuttle in Pasadena and watched it leave when I pulled in to the lot and the nice guy said. They just left. :laugh4: I said, yes. I just watched it leave. :( The times posted on the net were wrong. The last bus was to leave at 6:30 and it wasnt quite 6:30 yet. :sick: So the guy said, try to catch one at the Zoo. They might be running late.

I took the advice from the live thread to park in one of the Hollywood lots. When visiting Hollywood I often park at the Hollywood and Orange lot. It's only $10.00. They told me to walk across the street and I could take the shuttle or I could walk. The shuttle was only $5.00 round trip and I was running late and missed the opening acts and took the very crowded bus. It was awesome, people were so happy and excited.

First I have to say having never been to the Hollywood Bowl. I loved it, yes the chairs are weird but alas I didn't have anyone interupting my concert and leaving to buy drinks or use the restroom continually and was snuggled in my little cozy spot for the night in the terrace boxes. Where I was fine and okay. ;)

The lasers, the fireworks, the confetti, the images and wall graffitti, the xylobands, the cloudy night sky, the happy fans and cool vibe. Made it one of the most exciting and awesome Coldplay show for me.

Problems with the xylobands and the girl next to me at first. They eventually turned on. :)

Chris's vocal range continues to amaze me. Clocks, Fix You..he seems to quite able to change his range numerous times and it seems easy for him.

Princess Of China worked very well in live form. Seeing it in the videos doesn't come off as real as it is live. It's very well done and Chris put some interesting new vocals to it as Jonny put some guitars I hadn't heard before. I like what they all did there.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart is the new Politik for me. The beginning opening drumming sees to grab you and take you to a better more encouraging space. The lyrics to that song and it's message is much brighter and hopeful and the song just puts me in Paradise.

Lovers In Japan is performed so well and I don't know what else to say about it but it fits the seltlist well and happily blends into the whole MX vibe.

Us Against the World and the guitars. Like what they did there. It's an awesome thing for Coldplay to reach the fans in the back. You get this sucken feeling when you have to sit in the back and all the fan is upfront, the good pics and the band and fan interaction seems lost and them setting up a stage for the fans in the back makes them feel so much better, trust me I know. :)

Charlie Brown was so visually exciting and so was Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Apart from them being great songs the images at the bowl were just great. It's a great closer for the show and Chris vocals and what he's done to the song makes it easier for him to sing. The emphasis on every tear lyrics gave me goosebumps last night.

Paradise has come a long way. The audience is so in tuned with the song. People are singing their hearts out. We even started singing a Paradise chant just for the fun of it.

Always feel so lucky and blessed to see a Coldplay show live and all the little things. All the little things and the mention of your city and place make things so special. The feeling I take from a Coldplay show is this. They all seem to pay careful attention. Chris and his vocals and feelings he's puts into the song he sings. Jonny's guitar playing and Guys careful attention to his bass playing. Will's animal style drumming makes it one of the best live acts I've seen. No matter all the extra added awesome things they keep adding to the table. It has to be somewhat pricey to give the fans all this and they are truly giving it back to us. By giving it their very best of what they do best. It's very inspirational to me watching this in true form.

I'm lucky again I will get to see them on Friday and relive it all over again. I pinch myself each and every time I'm able to see them live and thank my lucky stars for what I'm seeing.

:heart: :heart:

Fab review! THANK you for sharing it! It made me feel like I was there too...:D

I can't wait for June now! Thanks for pointing out the different things the guys are now doing with the show, I am trying very hard to resist watching all these new videos, because I would love it to be fresh when I see it next month. I think the trouble when I saw them last year was just this, I had seen SO many live shows online, streamed etc, it wasn't any new any more.. I knew the setlist off by heart.. Didn't mean it wasn't awesome.. just want this time to be BETTER.. :D

Bowl Show #2

I concur with the above reviews... just a stunning show, the complete package at the Bowl. The Old Lady had a fresh coat of graffiti and was looking pretty sharp tonight.

I was seated in the back row of the Terrace boxes, just off center, and how lucky was that? Just 10 feet across the walkway from the C stage, as it turned out. We were just screaming!!!

The Bowl is not my favorite venue, just due to its largesse... seems like it extends into the hill for miles, but Coldplay owned the room, so to speak. They do so much for the fan experience, when really, all they have to do is sing. Thank you, guys.

Hard Work Pays Off: Coldplay on the Mylo Xyloto Tour at the Hollywood Bowl

There was no comparison, was the buzz on the shuttle on the way home. People said that U2 was outdone and that no act would compare. You know what? They were right. The show was amazing. When Coldplay takes a show on the road they put their fans first creating a once in a lifetime experience. This show at the Hollywood Bowl on the first of May was no exception. I could list everything it had, but you would miss the magic of the show as a whole.

The musical moments were carefully orchestrated to work the crowd into emotional climaxes taking a wide palette of techniques to thrill and enthrall. The enthusiasm of the crowd was intoxicating as the fireworks surprise and confetti sprinkle from above. Songs were at the core, but the set and the showmanship changed listening to a lifetime experience. One feature that delighted the crowd was the use of balloons that were passed around through the bleachers until they were finally popped by security, emptying beautiful cut out tissue paper birds, hearts and butterflies. On every wrist there was a Mylo Xyloto wrist band that glowed in time to the music in brilliant and amazing colors. The fireworks were stellar in the air and the projections were customized to the architecture of the bowl.

The set list was aimed to please. Hurst Like Heaven, a personal favorite, opened the show. Its upbeat tempo whipped through the crowd as everyone shouted their loudest at the famous rockers. They played through a number of hits like Yellow, Lovers in Japan, and The Scientist, each song a wonderfully executed musical moment. For instance, Yellow was a brilliant set of yellow counterpointed with spots of glowing red adding visual detail to the set. Every note was perfect and all the sound captivating. One part that I didn’t expect to like was God Put a Smile on My Face. This song always rubbed me a little wrong, but the band went so all out, that I stood through the whole tune. Coldplay’s list of hits is so large that they can’t possibly play them all at one show. Trouble being one notable omission, was the favorite of the girl sitting to my right. The show was so amazing that she forgave the band for not playing it. Notably, the people on my right were as into the band as I was and their excitement made my experience even better.

There is nothing that this band will not do for their fans. The band is all over the stage. In fact, there are three stages exact. There is the regular bowl platform, an added platform so the band can play in the crowd and a third more towards the middle of the bandstands for one song. They work themselves into a frenzy. All of the band are dripping with the sweat of hard work. They apologize for it. But, this fan appreciates the exhausting show. At one moment they work so hard that Chris Martin near collapses on the stage. There is nothing that they won’t do for their fans. There is nothing they don’t do for their fans.

Okay, there is the list. There are fireworks, confetti blowers, strobes, bracelets, projections, separate stages, crowd surfing balloons and last but not least, the best rockers in the world. You’ve got to go to the new Coldplay show.

link

Princess Of China

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65InSXLTOE[/ame]

ETIAW

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2PNzGzPM64[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaGI7J4_QQ[/ame]