✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[1-May-2012] Coldplay @ Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jenjie

Here are some of my pictures. Like I said in another post, the show was visually stunning, the sound was awesome and the boys were on fire. A different perspective was good for me, I was able to see everything this time. C-stage was right behind us, at the end of our section in J-1, so those of you going Wednesday or Friday, might want to casually make your way over to that section, if you can, after Paradise.

Setlist was the same, I am loving the new intro to Yellow.

I can't wait to see the show again tonight, from better seats, too.

I ran into Imelda, and she said she saw someone get upgraded to first row, so great the band and their staff do that.

In one of the bad photos, Chris is shaking the hand of a fan wearing the full elephant costume. LOL

The pit was HUGE, much larger than I as expecting. There were a lot of seats, but it looked like they packed in a lot more people than there were seats.

It was chilly, bring a blanket, we were cold before the show started.

We parked at the lot on the corner of Hollywood and Highland, where the big shopping structure and Kodak theater is. Parking is a max of $10. You can pay the $4 round trip for the shuttle bus, but we just walked, a little more than 1/2 mile, easy walk up Highland. Parking around the venue ranged from $20-35, and a lot of lots were stack parked. There was a church on the corner of Highland and something that was charging $25, but not stack parking and the proceeds would go to the church. We got there pretty early, so the crowds weren't bad, but walked around a bit during Metronomy - not our favorite opener - and outside was packed...food was decent and if you are in a Terrace or Garden box, they have cocktail service to your box. :)

We had a wonderful time, and can't wait to go back tonight.

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

Non-zoomed view from our seats in Terrace Boxes.

DSC01426.jpg

View behind us. The Bowl is HUGE.

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody drive there? how was the parking situation? is it bad

im going on friday

We got there early and parked at the lot at HOllywood and Highland. $10, and walked to the venue, about 1/2 mile. Parking around the venue was plentiful, but ranged in price from $20-35, lots of stacked parking and then getting out of that area looked to be pretty bad.

Coldplay - Hollywood Bowl - 5/1/12

coldplayfront.jpg

Coldplay

May 1, 2012

Hollywood Bowl

Coldplay's first of three nights at the Hollywood Bowl kicked off in a most impressive fashion. Eighteen thousand rabid Coldplay fans soaked up every note as the band held the audience in the palm of their hand from the beginning notes of "Mylo Xyloto" till the very end.

Lasers, confetti, fireworks and illuminated neon wristbands were some of the extras that enriched the overall concert experience, but Coldplay's songs and musicianship were still the centerpiece. The descending guitar riff of "Hurts Like Heaven" immediately provoked the audience out of their seats as a sea of illuminated wristbands rapidly blinked alternating colors.

Chris Martin sprinted down the catwalk and leapt into the air as a spray of confetti launched into the front rows of the audience as "In My Place" triggered one of the first of many crowd sing-alongs of the evening. Grabbing his acoustic guitar, Martin dealt out the percussive riff of "Major Minus" as Jonny Buckland was surgically navigating the fretboard of his Fender guitar.

The shoegaze guitars of "Lovers in Japan" meshed with a bouncing piano riff make it one of my favorites from Viva La Vida Or Death And His Friends and was performed flawlessly. Couples clutched each other during the piano-driven "The Scientist." Martin was excited and let his enthusiasm spill over into the performance as he asked the for the lights to illuminate the massive audience during "Yellow."

Frequently altering the lyrics to make each show city-specific, Martin incorporated the line of "took my love to the Hollywood Bowl" during "Violet Hill." An alternate electric guitar riff for "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" melted into Will Champion's muscular drumming that ended with Martin tossing his guitar high into the air.

Buckland used an E-bow for the creamy sustained guitar notes of "Princess of China" as Rihanna appeared on video screens, thankfully not in hologram form. The pace slowed momentarily for the ballads of "Up In Flames" and "Warning Sign" but quickly returned to a sprint with "Don't Let It Break Your Heart" and a massive performance of "Viva La Vida."

Coldplay later rushed out past the promenade to play in the middle of the Hollywood Bowl during "Us Against The World" to connect with their fans. The double piano shot of "Clocks" and "Fix You" perfectly led into the uplifting closer of "Every Teardrop is A Waterfall" as fireworks sprayed above the Bowl. Don't miss your chance to see them at the Hollywood Bowl on Wednesday and Friday or this Saturday at the KROQ Weenie Roast.

In the opening band department, Metronomy utilized synthesizers and catchy tunes that engaged a fair amount of audience members. The Pierces left a memorable impression with their juicy vocal harmonies and wispy tunes.

Critical Bias: I have a Coldplay track jacket.

The Crowd: 18,000 and Robert Downey Jr.

Overheard in the Crowd: "This is amazing!" by multiple people.

Random Notebook Dump: Cuba Gooding Jr. took pictures with the paparazzi when he walked into the show. What a genuinely nice guy!

link

We got there early and parked at the lot at HOllywood and Highland. $10, and walked to the venue, about 1/2 mile. Parking around the venue was plentiful, but ranged in price from $20-35, lots of stacked parking and then getting out of that area looked to be pretty bad.

thanks dianne ill try to look for parking where you parked but dont know if ill find any, my friend cant seem to get out of work early so ill probably be barely arriving between 7 and 8 :\

great photos Dianne :nice: How many coldplay concert did you go???!? you're posting photos &comments almost all concert threads :P

Haha. Jeremy. I went to San Jose on Saturday, May 1 and 2 at the Hollywood Bowl, and I'm going to the Weenie Roast this Saturday. Then I'm done until Tampa in June...

Review: Coldplay goes big at the Hollywood Bowl

6a00d8341c630a53ef01630513954a970d-600wi

At the start of “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall,” the last song Coldplay performed at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday night, the band flicked on halos of lasers, cued a four-on-the-floor drum beat and sang about how it wanted to “turn the music up, I got my records on / I shut the world outside until the lights come on.”

For an act that crankier critics accuse of playing middlebrow post-indie-rock for Apple adverts, this was awfully ravey. The London quartet, one of the biggest bands to emerge in the 2000s, is certainly grounded in earnest guitar-and-piano emoting (with the good taste and huge budgets that afford Brian Eno as a producer).

But that move implies that it sees the rise of dance-music culture as a stakes-raising challenge (or maybe a threat to its livelihood). Tuesday’s show, the first of a three-night Bowl stand this week, proved why Coldplay is the last stadium-sized rock band left standing in contemporary pop -- a feat perhaps unrepeatable for future rockers in a laptop era.

Perhaps the one thing that sticks in craws about Coldplay is that its four sweet-tempered goofballs, who simultaneously want to play the most flagrantly moving rock music conceivable. Gawky dudes like singer Chris Martin, a “Colbert Report” fan who rolls around on stage floors mocking his own falsetto, can't possibly be serious when he calls a song “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall,” right?

Well, the music had better make us believe it. And that, more than celebrity marriages (Martin’s other half is Gwyneth Paltrow) or bucktoothed love ballads, is why the band is so enormous.

At the Bowl show, drummer Will Champion and pedal-slinging guitarist Jonny Buckland gave necessary ballast to Martin's skilled but sometimes overeager songwriting. Newer tracks such as “Don't Let It Break Your Heart” (from the band's latest, inscrutably titled “Mylo Xyloto”) and older hits such as “Clocks” got their pulse-quickening rush from the classic virtues of all great rock bands: stay simple, but sound huge.

For all the ribbing about Martin’s dreamboat whispers and the anthemic hokum in Coldplay's lyrics (how does one “ignite your bones,” anyhow?), its arrangements are always tasteful and surprisingly minimal. Even on the orchestra-sampling “Viva La Vida,” the band never had to use a snare drum to seal the deal.

But the other thing that gets lost about Coldplay is that it’s also really good at being loud. “Charlie Brown,” stripped of its pitch-shifted samples, went straight for arena-ecstasy riffage. Even obvious pandering, such as the gang chorus of “Paradise,” worked because, well, these guys get paid insane sums of money for coming up with pleasure-center hits like that.

The band succumbed a little too often to the siren song of mid-tempo, though. Even when it dices up plodding tunes such as “Princess of China” with Rihanna video cameos and electronic patter, it still validates accusations of being cloying. But even at the band's most hateable -- the aforementioned bone-igniting ballad “Fix You” -- it's so skilled at sincerity that it would take a Jesuit-like level of self-control to not feel something.

At the encore, when Coldplay cued the audience's wrist-mounted light-blipping devices on “Teardrop,” Martin & Co. clearly planned for the song to hit like a nightclub destroyer. But when Martin sang about his records and keeping the world outside, there was a hint of Brian Wilson's teenage mooniness in the mix.

Any act that can do both of those things -- pair palms-out sentimentality with rigorous rocker craft -- will probably remain the world's last big band for a very long time.

link

The Scientist

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H4rZjitArM[/ame]

Princess Of China

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auoy0zi38i4[/ame]

Up In Flames

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqjenWVqmcE[/ame]

Viva La Vida

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPeZLBxvITg[/ame]

Charlie Brown

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudFiINqIsA[/ame]

Paradise

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1-Uj-WTToQ[/ame]

Us Against The World

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um3Ufbnv8WI[/ame]

Fix You

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-j-BaGuZeg[/ame]

I want to learn when did Coldplay come on stage yesterday? I will not be able to make it at 7 pm but I don't know if they are on the stage at 9 pm or before that after 2 opening acts?

Also are we allowed to bring a digital camera (simple cameras, not the nikon ones) to the venue?

I want to learn when did Coldplay come on stage yesterday? I will not be able to make it at 7 pm but I don't know if they are on the stage at 9 pm or before that after 2 opening acts?

Also are we allowed to bring a digital camera (simple cameras, not the nikon ones) to the venue?

coldplay will come on at 9 oclock without a doubt... simple cameras should be fine. i'm thinking about trying to sneak in my dslr.

(sorry it's so long, not easy for me to write anything or write reviews)I'd like to keep it as real as it could be. So years from now I could go back and read it again, and be happy again while reading again. ;) :) :heart:

Hollywood Bowl is inside as Chris sung last night. What a show and what a great time. The Hollywood Bowl was spectacular.

First, my attempt to park and ride was to be unsuccessful. Tried to catch the shuttle in Pasadena and watched it leave when I pulled in to the lot and the nice guy said. They just left. :laugh4: I said, yes. I just watched it leave. :( The times posted on the net were wrong. The last bus was to leave at 6:30 and it wasnt quite 6:30 yet. :sick: So the guy said, try to catch one at the Zoo. They might be running late.

I took the advice from the live thread to park in one of the Hollywood lots. When visiting Hollywood I often park at the Hollywood and Orange lot. It's only $10.00. They told me to walk across the street and I could take the shuttle or I could walk. The shuttle was only $5.00 round trip and I was running late and missed the opening acts and took the very crowded bus. It was awesome, people were so happy and excited.

First I have to say having never been to the Hollywood Bowl. I loved it, yes the chairs are weird but alas I didn't have anyone interupting my concert and leaving to buy drinks or use the restroom continually and was snuggled in my little cozy spot for the night in the terrace boxes. Where I was fine and okay. ;)

The lasers, the fireworks, the confetti, the images and wall graffitti, the xylobands, the cloudy night sky, the happy fans and cool vibe. Made it one of the most exciting and awesome Coldplay show for me.

Problems with the xylobands and the girl next to me at first. They eventually turned on. :)

Chris's vocal range continues to amaze me. Clocks, Fix You..he seems to quite able to change his range numerous times and it seems easy for him.

Princess Of China worked very well in live form. Seeing it in the videos doesn't come off as real as it is live. It's very well done and Chris put some interesting new vocals to it as Jonny put some guitars I hadn't heard before. I like what they all did there.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart is the new Politik for me. The beginning opening drumming sees to grab you and take you to a better more encouraging space. The lyrics to that song and it's message is much brighter and hopeful and the song just puts me in Paradise.

Lovers In Japan is performed so well and I don't know what else to say about it but it fits the seltlist well and happily blends into the whole MX vibe.

Us Against the World and the guitars. Like what they did there. It's an awesome thing for Coldplay to reach the fans in the back. You get this sucken feeling when you have to sit in the back and all the fan is upfront, the good pics and the band and fan interaction seems lost and them setting up a stage for the fans in the back makes them feel so much better, trust me I know. :)

Charlie Brown was so visually exciting and so was Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Apart from them being great songs the images at the bowl were just great. It's a great closer for the show and Chris vocals and what he's done to the song makes it easier for him to sing. The emphasis on every tear lyrics gave me goosebumps last night.

Paradise has come a long way. The audience is so in tuned with the song. People are singing their hearts out. We even started singing a Paradise chant just for the fun of it.

Always feel so lucky and blessed to see a Coldplay show live and all the little things. All the little things and the mention of your city and place make things so special. The feeling I take from a Coldplay show is this. They all seem to pay careful attention. Chris and his vocals and feelings he's puts into the song he sings. Jonny's guitar playing and Guys careful attention to his bass playing. Will's animal style drumming makes it one of the best live acts I've seen. No matter all the extra added awesome things they keep adding to the table. It has to be somewhat pricey to give the fans all this and they are truly giving it back to us. By giving it their very best of what they do best. It's very inspirational to me watching this in true form.

I'm lucky again I will get to see them on Friday and relive it all over again. I pinch myself each and every time I'm able to see them live and thank my lucky stars for what I'm seeing.

:heart: :heart:

coldplay will come on at 9 oclock without a doubt... simple cameras should be fine. i'm thinking about trying to sneak in my dslr.

Brought my point and click and it was fine. You can also bring bottled water, just don't open it. She told me I would have to throw mine away since it was already opened. Was a bad girl and didn't though. :shame: :D

What did everyone do for dinner yesterday? Did you bring food in, or eat at the Hollywood & Highland center before? I'm taking the Park and Ride shuttle at 4:40 today, so it's way too early to eat before I leave.

What did everyone do for dinner yesterday? Did you bring food in, or eat at the Hollywood & Highland center before? I'm taking the Park and Ride shuttle at 4:40 today, so it's way too early to eat before I leave.

I didn't eat dinner last night. Some people brought in crackers and cheese. I think they were selling food there due to the very large barbeque smoke cloud I did see rising above the crowd. :lol: