✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Official Chart New Year’s Update! (Paradise confirmed as the first UK no.1 single of 2012!)

robynature

Coldplay grabs first number one single of 2012

?m=02&d=20120101&t=2&i=553365964&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=2012-01-01T190222Z_1_BTRE8001GW200_RTROPTP_0_BRITAIN

(Reuters) - Alternative rockers Coldplay jumped to the top of the singles charts on Sunday, snatching the first number one of 2012 with their Grammy-nominated song "Paradise," the Official UK Charts Company said.

Coldplay displaced the Christmas number one, "Wherever You Are" by Military Wives, which dropped to four. Olly Murs moved up to second spot with "Dance With Me Tonight."

Singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran's "+" climbed to the peak of the album charts, with U.S. pop singer Bruno Mars rising to second position with "Doo-Wops & Hooligans."

link

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

parat80.jpg

Paradise is UK's Number 1

1 January 2012 7:38 pm

Single reaches the top of the charts 16 weeks after release

news_line.png

Screen%20shot%202012-01-01%20at%2018.55.17.png

Good evening. It was announced this evening that Paradise is the UK's new Number One single, 16 weeks after it was first released. That makes it Coldplay's second Number One single, following Viva La Vida in June 2008. What an incredible way to start 2012.

Happy new year everyone!

Anchorman

Coldplay score first No.1 single of 2012 with 'Paradise'

Coldplay's 'Paradise' has been crowned the first UK singles chart number one of 2012.

Chris Martin's band climbed to pole position after 10 weeks on the ranking, beating rising entries 'Dance With Me Tonight' by Olly Murs and 'Good Feeling' by Flo Rida, as well as 2011 Christmas number one 'Wherever You Are' by the Military Wives choir.

618x300_coldplay_press_shot_1.jpg

'Paradise' is Coldplay's second UK chart topper after 2008's 'Viva la Vida'.

link

--------

Official Singles Chart: Coldplay's Paradise is No.1, tops 500k lifetime sales

coldplay_live_2011.jpg

Coldplay's Paradise is top of tonight's Official UK Singles Chart, jumping up from its No.5 showing in last week's list.

The song has shifted 108,390 units in the past week according to Official Charts Company data - bringing lifetime sales to over 500,000.

link

--------

Coldplay score first Number One of 2012 with 'Paradise'

Chris Martin and co top the chart for the second time

Coldplay2PR211011.jpg

Coldplay have scored the first Number One single of 2012 after 'Paradise' climbed to the top spot tonight (January 1).

The rise of the track, which was released 10 weeks ago, has been partly attributed to the band's performance during the final of The X Factor last month. It's the second time Chris Martin and co have reached the summit of the chart - their last UK Number One was 'Viva La Vida' in 2008, according to the Official Charts Company.

link

some tweets from coldplay crew:

DEBS WILD 27m

Yay! Coldplay have the first #1 single of 2012! Woo hoo.

vicki taylor 34m

Coldplay paradise number 1. What a great start to the new year !

Official Charts 1h

Congratulations to @coldplay on being the first #Number1 of 2012! bit.ly/urB7uF

Retweeted by Rik Simpson

Brian Eno 58m

Paradise, Congrats @coldplay And I Want To Thank All Coldplay Fans, Thank You!

Congratulations Coldplay.

But still, if I had a penny for every Coldplay song that's better than Paradise, I could buy an ice cream or two.

So I ask myself why it's this song, along with Viva La Vida, out of their entire catalog, that has reached no. 1 in the history of Coldplay. Because they chose it as a single themselves, obviously, since they knew that its catchy nature would be successful. That's why they blessed it with a massive promotional machine (including a great music video).

On the other hand, if I had a euro/pound/dollar for every good single that reached no. 1 during the last few years, I'd probably be eating dirt.

So I ask myself what's so special about having a number one single. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the song, it's as if there is no correlation whatsoever. But I guess if it makes them happy, I'm happy too.

Happy New Year everyone :D:D:D

some tweets from coldplay crew:

DEBS WILD 27m

Yay! Coldplay have the first #1 single of 2012! Woo hoo.

vicki taylor 34m

Coldplay paradise number 1. What a great start to the new year !

Official Charts 1h

Congratulations to @coldplay on being the first #Number1 of 2012! bit.ly/urB7uF

Retweeted by Rik Simpson

Brian Eno 58m

Paradise, Congrats @coldplay And I Want To Thank All Coldplay Fans, Thank You!

Eno has a Twitter account? :o

Guest howyousawtheworld
Eno has a Twitter account? :o

Surely not?! It must be the otherway around. Twitter has an Eno account!

Coldplay score first Official Number 1 single of 2012!

images-logo.png

The Oficcial Chart Company: "Coldplay score first Official Number 1 single of 2012!"

3186-coldplay2011_420x250.jpg

"Coldplay’s ‘Paradise’ has displaced the Military Wives and Gareth Malone’s ‘Wherever You Are’ to become the first Official Number 1 single of 2012, the Official Charts Company can reveal.

Originally released on October 30, ‘Paradise’ debuted at Number 14 before steadily climbing up the Official Singles Chart and peaking at Number 2 a week before Christmas. The track is taken from the band’s hugely successful fifth studio album, ‘Mylo Xyloto’, which set a new Official Charts record for the highest number of digital copies to be sold during an album’s first week of release.

Despite having five Number 1 albums, ‘Paradise’ is only Coldplay’s second Number 1 single, their first being ‘Viva La Vida’, which reached Number 1 in the Official Singles Chart in 2008. ‘Paradise’ reaching the summit of the Official Singles Chart is a double cause for celebration for the London-based band because, not only has it become the first Official Number 1 of the new year, it has also earned frontman Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion their first Official Singles Chart Number 1 Award!

To mark the 60th anniversary of the UK’s Official Singles Chart, every artist who reaches the top of the Official Singles Chart will be presented with an Official Singles Chart Number 1 Award. The award is a partnership between the Official Charts Company and BBC Radio 1’s Official Chart Show - which is broadcast from 4pm to 7pm every Sunday afternoon and hosted by Reggie Yates."...

*Scottish Singles Top 40:

#1 - Paradise - Coldplay

Link;

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/chart-news/coldplay-score-first-official-number-1-single-of-2012/