✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

Oh Muse what did you do?

I kinda knew it was going to suck after hearing Unsustainable but I was holding out hope they would prove me wrong after hearing Madness. Alas, it was not meant to be.

And who's bright idea was it to have Chris sing on the album? Not that he's a terrible singer but it was a bit jarring to have someone else suddenly singing on the album.

I'm with you on this.

And I've only heard it once, but I hated it :/ Even on The Resistance, there were three or four songs that took my breath away.

Low points for me have to be Panic Station, Follow Me, Big Freeze (More U2 anyone?) and Save Me... and Isolated System is the most underwhelming album closer to date. Nothing on this album shows off a musical ingenuity. Solos are bog-standard, lyrics terrible, melodies ripped, production clumsy and all songs either head in a dancey or a stadium-rock direction. Safe and boring, really. Sad day for me.

Panic Station sounds like a (bad) cover of Led Zeppelin's Trampled Underfoot made by some random 80s funky band :|

It has a degree of Thriller about it. And he swears. I thought Muse never swear? (Apart from the infamous Feeling Good)

a) Can someone fill me in on this whole 'legit leak' thing?

b) I haven't listened to the album yet, but I have heard the live songs from Cologne, plus Unsustainable and about half of Isolated System. Most of what I've heard seems pretty good though (miles above The Resistance at any rate) so I'm not sure what all the negativity is about. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the album in full, but from initial impressions I'd rate it about level with BH&R. (Better than TR and Showbiz, not quite up to par with Abso or Origin)

a) Can someone fill me in on this whole 'legit leak' thing?

b) I haven't listened to the album yet, but I have heard the live songs from Cologne, plus Unsustainable and about half of Isolated System. Most of what I've heard seems pretty good though (miles above The Resistance at any rate) so I'm not sure what all the negativity is about. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the album in full, but from initial impressions I'd rate it about level with BH&R. (Better than TR and Showbiz, not quite up to par with Abso or Origin)

a) They're streaming it with various services around the globe.

b) It's just not the Muse I love. And I know that's a cliche, and I know bands evolve, but there is absolutely nothing on this album as good as anything they've done before, simple as. Just my opinion, though.

"Supremacy" and "Animals" are better than anything on The Resistance. Easily. And yet UD and GL were the only two tracks on The Resistance that I outright hated, while I still hate all 3 pre-album tracks here ("Survival" being the biggest shitpile of them all), and "Explorers" is a monotonous drag that goes on 3 minutes too long. Same with "Save Me", as even though Chris's voice is different and all, his voice isn't necessarily that great. (his Dave Grohl impression in "Liquid State" is much better, though) And "Isolated System" sounds pretty but it's incredibly underwhelming as a closer. Everything else is at least decent.

I swear I'll get a full review up after work today, haha.

so I'm in LOVE with supremacy after listening to it a few more times

THIS, SO FREAKING MUCH THIS!!!!

I also LOVE Explorers, it's beautiful, the piano and the vocals. Panic Station is just crazy, but i think that's why i like it so much! It sounds like the bass from "Another One Bites The Dust" was thrown in a blender with an 80s funk disco. :lol:

EDIT: This is my first listen of the album (as in right now) so i can't quite process all my thoughts on i yet. More to say but my brain won't function. :blank:

^ I'm quite interested to hear thoughts on Big Freeze, as that's the song that seems to be getting the most hate from Musers at the moment.

For now, I'm just gonna say I'm shocked by the negativity on "Big Freeze". It's the proper U2 tribute that "Madness" tried and failed horribly to be. Most unfairly hated thing since "Soldier's Poem". There are 8 or 9 worse songs on the album.

The Muse fandom seems to have more U2 haters than any other fandom on the planet, though. Which confuses the hell out of me. I fucking love U2. Doubt I would've gotten into Muse without them.

Okay, here we go, track-by-track as promised:

Supremacy - Best Muse song since MOTP. This song's existence alone prevents this from being "Muse's Mylo Xywhatever"

Madness - Wow, what a buzzkill after Supremacy. Was indecisive about this song before. After hearing the album, I'm pretty sure I hate it.

Panic Station - Super weird in a very good way. It's like a better SMBH to me (which I never liked even in the BH&R era).

Survival - Sorry, this is still a Bottom 5 Muse song for me. It's not any less shitty in the context of the full album. I really hope it doesn't remain as a set closer for the tour.

Follow Me - It's okay, but I'm not feeling all the love for it. It's like "Resistance" gone electronica. Which was an average song too.

Animals - Fucking great. 2nd best on the album behind "Supremacy". Showbiz/OoS vibe leading to an awesome outro.

Explorers - Trash. Monotonous trash that has no reason being more than 2 minutes, much less ALMOST 6 MINUTES.

Big Freeze - I'm the Internet's biggest and possibly only fan of this song. 3rd or 4th favorite on the album. No joke. It's the awesome U2 tribute that "Madness" failed to be.

Save Me - Meh. Chris's voice is good but never great. Some of those higher notes are wince-inducing. And after "Explorers", the last thing we needed was a tedious ballad. Though at least it's lyrically superior to Matt's fluff.

Liquid State - Way better use of Chris. It's like an old Foo Fighters song. Which isn't Muse, but it's better than a lot of new Muse, heh.

Unsustainable - Random experimentalism that just comes off as tacky. When combined with the following track, this certainly is no "Exogenesis".

Isolated System - It's pretty, but it goes nowhere. And going nowhere isn't a good way to close an album. I think I even prefer "Hate This and I'll Love You" as a closer, for crying out loud.

Supremacy > Animals > Liquid State > Big Freeze > Panic Station > Follow Me > Isolated System > Save Me > dog poop > Unsustainable > Explorers > horse poop > Madness > ALL THE POOP IN THE WORLD > Survival