✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Charlie Brown / Princess of China

edward_kingdom

Hello everyone!

First of all I wanna say that I'm a huge Coldplay fan from Mexico and I've been following them thru all their albums since the beginning and all their singles and everything... And well, they've done strange things sometimes (dates moved and things mixed up)... but this time I really got confused because of the situation...

I'm one of the Charlie Brown lovers ♥... I think that song is amazing! I had the opportunity of listen to it Live when they played in Austin City Limits festival and it's just so awesome, all that energy in the song and the lyrics and everything is just so perfect that I wanted it to be the Single since Mylo Xyloto was coming out....

First time they decided to go for Paradise which was released as the second single instead of CB... it was ok that time and it was a success (it's the Coldplay second song to reach #1 and all that)...

Now my big conffusion or what I wanted to ask somebody to explain me is... Charlie Brown is supposed to be the single (it's being already played in Radio stations).... Video was moved and nothing has been said about it.... And they never uploaded a video announcing it as Official or something like they did with ETIAW cover, Paradise cover and now I found out that they're playing Gammys with Rihanna "Princess of China" and then they uploaded the PoC cover in youtube ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDj3sorWXbE]Coldplay & Rihanna - Princess Of China (Official) - YouTube[/ame]) and it's for me like confusing....

I dont understand if Charlie Brown is gonna be the single (I think it is not a good decision to start with this Rihanna stuff in the Charlie Brown time.... ) can they do this? I mean release to singles almost at the same time or why they do this???? I think both songs deserve their space and I think they're not being fair with Charlie Brown... probably I sound a little bit crazy or I'm asking things that I shouldnt care about as a fan, but I do, and I want that song to be given its space and I wanted to be a success but they dont let it be... Or is it the managers....

So, for those who dont want to read the whole thing my questions are:

1. Which one is the single?... or both will be singles almost at the same time?

2. Why Charlie Brown video was moved...

3. There's a Cover of Charlie Brown already but they never uploaded a youtube video of that cover, did they?

4. WHY !!!! hahahahaha... I have a headache :( I should be their manager, hahha ok no :P

... whatever now.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok :)

that's an honest answer... I actually had a lot of time not coming here to this forum due to work and all that "grown up" stuff ... I thought somebody here could know explanations!! hahahaha

What makes me feel a little bit better is that they said that it's "for your listening pleasure"... Hope it's only for that for a while.... and after Charlie Brown is single and all of that and video release and everything they can do whatever they want! hahahahaha

:D

My guess:

I think they (management/label/the band, I don't know who decides) wanted to release CB early January, but then Paradise got to #1 and it would have been a little too early to put out another single. So I think they moved the video and sent the promo cd of CB to the radio stations already so those could hear if they like it and slowly start to play it more and more.

But then they realised they had POC scheduled for February (incl. the Grammy perfomance) and they pulled in CB as a single. Meanwhile the radio stations think it's gonna be/is the new single, because of the promo cd's.

They released Paradise in September and it was't really a success. So they filmed Charlie Brown video and when they wanted to release it, Paradise unexpectedly started to raise up on charts and became a #1 single. If you remember 2008, when they released Viva La Vida as a single, it was still on charts 5 months after it's release, when they released Lost! and Lovers In Japan, but those two song didn't do very well on charts because they were "faded" by Viva La Vida. So I guess they don't want to release Charlie Brown now because it would be "faded" by Paradise on charts. But they are also going to perform PoC in February with Rihanna, and if they release Charlie Brown now, it would also get "faded" on the charts because of PoC which will most-likely get a lot of plays on radio after the performance.

I think it would be good for them to release PoC now, especially because of the much anticipating Grammy performance.

And then release Charlie Brown in summer when PoC starts to fall from charts.

They released Paradise in September and it was't really a success. So they filmed Charlie Brown video and when they wanted to release it, Paradise unexpectedly started to raise up on charts and became a #1 single. If you remember 2008, when they released Viva La Vida as a single, it was still on charts 5 months after it's release, when they released Lost! and Lovers In Japan, but those two song didn't do very well on charts because they were "faded" by Viva La Vida. So I guess they don't want to release Charlie Brown now because it would be "faded" by Paradise on charts. But they are also going to perform PoC in February with Rihanna, and if they release Charlie Brown now, it would also get "faded" on the charts because of PoC which will most-likely get a lot of plays on radio after the performance.

I think it would be good for them to release PoC now, especially because of the much anticipating Grammy performance.

And then release Charlie Brown in summer when PoC starts to fall from charts.

This seems highly likely :nod:

IMO (And a bunch of facts aswell)

Charlie Brown is the first Promotional Single from Mylo Xyloto. It was released on November 14, 2011 to radio stations worldwide. It is actually now skeptical whether Charlie will actually be the third single from Mylo Xyloto. I mean think about it. I'm going to throw in a spooky example-

Look back to July 6, 2008, a month after Viva. Strawberry Swing, Viva's first Promo Single, was released worldwide, in the exact same time frame as Charlie Brown, a month after. Now, how much time had passed since then and when it was released as the fifth single from Viva? 14 months. Yep, you heard me. September 19, 2009 was when it was released as a Single. Living proof that Promotional Single releases like Swing and Charlie don't necessarily have to be followed up immediately.

I'M NOT SAYING THAT IT WILL BE RELEASED NEXT YEAR! Hell No! That would be blasphemy! I'm saying Charlie Brown may not necessarily be released as a single in the next few weeks. The music video will come in February, though, no doubt about that.

What i'm seeing is that Coldplay are definitely aware that Paradise is still going reasonably well worldwide. It's still to this day receiving generally favorable airplay and had peaked on alot of charts world wide very late last year. It's still #5 on Billboard's Alternative Songs Chart.

That being said, i'm also seeing that Coldplay also knows that Princess Of China is slowly becoming popular, doing better than Charlie. In fact, it has already been announced as the second Promotional from Mylo, due for release on American mainstream on February 14, 2012. Whether or not this becomes the third single and not Charlie, remains unknown. Although there are hints to that becoming possible. For one, Princess has been uploaded onto ColdplayTV on YouTube, and not Charlie. Coldplay and Rihanna are set to perform Princess at music's night of nights, the Grammy Awards on February 14 aswell. Also, Princess' artwork from the Pop-Up edition of mylo, is so far the only officially released digitally, measuring 650x650px. Could it potentially be the Promo single's artwork?

In my personal opinion, not only is the Lost/Lovers paradox evident here from the viva era, but we could potentially see Charlie pushed back to the summer, like how Strawberry was pushed back a year, but obviously not THAT far.

Although, that's my opinion

I should really set up a blog. I'm thinking to myself again.

Wow, thanks everyone for your answers! I'm feeling really good that I'm not the only one that WANTS TO KNOW NOW what's happening...

And somebody mentioned they're doing this because "they don't want to fade Charlie Brown"... I hope that's the reason... that's exactly what I do not want... I mean, I wouldnt like Charlie Brown to be released now in the "Paradise-still-having-success" and "Princess-of-China-in-the-Grammys" era because that will take Charlie Brown completely out of the map when it doesnt deserve it...

Since I first heard it I thought it has everything to become a hit... and it's not that I'm obsessed with Coldplay having "hit" songs, but it's like... if Paradise was a success, why not Charlie Brown which is in my opinion Quite better (and I'm pretty sure Princess of China will be a success due to the sales and popularity of both Coldplay and Rihanna)...

I also wouldnt like Charlie Brown video to be released separated from the single...

With that being said, let's just wait for the time to come... I just don't want them to throw all them away just because they want to do all at the same time... Hope everything goes well and that each song gets the space that they deserve :)!!!

Thanks everyone!

Think of it this way:

Coldplay perform PoC with Rihanna at the Grammy's and the day after release it as the third single from MX. PoC's video follows at some point in the next week, and the combination of the video and the Grammy's performance ensures that PoC stays at the top of the charts for a number of weeks. This, in turn, will boost the sales of MX, ensuring that it stays atop the charts longer.

Once PoC's popularity starts to fade and it begins dropping, Coldplay releases Charlie Brown. Because CB is obviously a chart-topper, it goes to number one on the charts, bringing the sales of MX up again so that it continues to remain in the charts a number of months after it's been released.

Each song gets its time in the limelight, and neither overshadows the other because they've been spaced out an appropriate amount of time. True, PoC will probably see higher sales than CB, but that can't be helped because PoC will A) be performed at the Grammy's and B) feature Rihanna.

And, on a slightly unrelated note, a prime time for Coldplay to release an EP (if they're planning on releasing one at all) would be after Charlie Brown and Mylo Xyloto start to drop out of the charts, because a new release in some format would bring its sales up again.

Think of it this way:

Coldplay perform PoC with Rihanna at the Grammy's and the day after release it as the third single from MX. PoC's video follows at some point in the next week, and the combination of the video and the Grammy's performance ensures that PoC stays at the top of the charts for a number of weeks. This, in turn, will boost the sales of MX, ensuring that it stays atop the charts longer.

Once PoC's popularity starts to fade and it begins dropping, Coldplay releases Charlie Brown. Because CB is obviously a chart-topper, it goes to number one on the charts, bringing the sales of MX up again so that it continues to remain in the charts a number of months after it's been released.

Each song gets its time in the limelight, and neither overshadows the other because they've been spaced out an appropriate amount of time. True, PoC will probably see higher sales than CB, but that can't be helped because PoC will A) be performed at the Grammy's and B) feature Rihanna.

And, on a slightly unrelated note, a prime time for Coldplay to release an EP (if they're planning on releasing one at all) would be after Charlie Brown and Mylo Xyloto start to drop out of the charts, because a new release in some format would bring its sales up again.

Even if I love Charlie Brown and I do want it RIGHT NOW... I would prefer this as a real answer and consider it fair so that both songs get their space :)

Thanks everyone again... let's see what happens...

And according to Mylo Xyloto Facebook page .... Charlie Brown video preview is gonna be released this February 1st...

And Charlie Brown Official Video is gonna be released on February 3rd

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I hope this isnt true... Not in the Rihanna era please =(!!!!