✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ColdplayFilm - MX Live DVD

the_escapist

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I didn't receive my Blu-ray, I couldn't resist anymore. So, I watched it on youtube and I absolutely loved it and mainly all the Montreal part!!!! :dazzled: I loved to see the boys leaving the stage and ran around the Bell Centre to get to the C stage. I laughed when Chris was driving, that was funny. He seemed to really enjoyed :lol: I also see my brother and me when they went back to the stage.

It's blurry, but well, I'm in the Coldplay Live 2012 :D

121122054923511681.png

I liked the comments from the boys, it was really interessting. But, I think that I will more liked the DVD if there was a full tour diary like it was in the Live 2003. Mainly, I give a 9/10. It's a really good show. :heart:

Live-2012-Cover-300x300.jpg

Album review: Coldplay Live 2012

Positives: Song selection, audience participation/reaction and general performance, all awesome

Negatives: We weren't there.

Bottom Line: 4.5 / 5 - Excellent

Coldplay’s Live 2012 album is a recording of their tour from this year, being released by EMI just in time for the Christmas rush. Recorded in Paris on 2 September 2012 at the Stade De France, it represents the very best parts of all their studio albums and is an orgasm for the ears if you like the band.

OK, so down to business – what does the live album sound like? Well if you are expecting a perfect rendition of every studio track then you are in for a rude awakening, but that isn’t what a live album is about anyway. The fact of the matter is that they sound incredible considering they have been on tour since October 2011 with this album.

The playlist is awesome, balancing popular tracks from the album with their older material. Barely breaking for bows, their seamless phasing between tracks without missing the beat as well as the little changes made to songs all add to the excitement.

The only negative comment we have to make about the album as a whole is that you can tell that Chris Martin’s voice is starting to take a beating as he struggles to reach and sustain the high notes in places. Saying that, some of these tracks are difficult for the most passionate of singers, so it is incredible that he hasn’t, to our knowledge, had to cancel a show unlike some divas and bands we would care to mention.

There is something that does bug us about Live 2012 though – Rihanna performs the track ‘Princess of China’ live with Coldplay, duetting with Chris Martin as per the original track. This is one of the two occasions in the last year she has done so – the other being as part of the Olympic ceremony. Call us suspicious, but why is she appearing live on the only part of the tour that happens to be recorded? We realise that she has her own career and couldn’t possibly tour with the guys as a result, and that the video she recorded to be played so that she could ‘perform’ with Coldplay whilst they were on tour ended up becoming part of the music video for the track, but would it be too much to ask for her to perform on more than one tour date? Seems a bit off, but that’s just our opinion – we still love Rihanna.

Tracks that audibly go down with the crowd are ‘In My Place’, ‘Major Minus’ and ‘Viva La Vida’. There are some great re-workings of ‘Yellow’ and ‘God Put A Smile On Your Face’, as well as the version of ‘Us Against The World’ they played at Glastonbury – except intentionally this time.

We love this album, and can’t wait to watch the DVD that accompanies it.

Go Get It: ’Clocks’

Forget It: ‘Mylo Xyloto’

http://sosogay.co.uk/music-review/album-review-coldplay-live-2012/

Its a great DVD,without a doubt.

BUT a bit too "frenchy" for me. Someone whos not familiar with the band might think their from France.

Would have been nice if there was a bit more connection to their home country. I just have that feeling while Viva at Glastonbury,but thats it.

And i dont know if someone noticed but sometimes it seems to me that the crowd is kinda cutted in. Not every track feels live,hard to explain but maybe you get what i mean ;)

Rubbish compared to the Live 2003 DVD which ironically had more features and none of this arty farty style over substance stuff the band has done in recent times. I was looking forward to the documentry and it's not even 20 mins compared to the 2003 40 minute one and who's brilliant idea was it to put the footage between the songs? Blu-ray looks crap as well.

I can't wait for this era to be over.

Oh and Merry Christmas :)

I have a question for those who got the BR one - is Don't Let it Break Your Heart and/or The Scientist in it?

Yes, they are two of the individual three selections in "Extras" menu, along with "Photos", which is a slideshow of photographs that runs for a few minutes. I wish there was a way that you could put together a custom playlist, and include DLIBYH and The Scientist into the main "film", where there actually fit in the order of play from the tour.

Rubbish compared to the Live 2003 DVD

I agree the Live 2003 DVD is clearly superior to this one in just about every way possible. I think it's more due to just how brilliantly crafted and performed Live 2003 was, compared to Live 2012. The sharpest criticism I can level against Coldplay at the moment is they seem to err on the side of "overproduction". The purer productions of the 2003 era come across sounding a lot more like the band. This experience makes me appreciate what a timeless treasure we have in Live 2003, more than anything else. I listened to 2003 in its entirety yesterday and marveled at its brilliance :o

Blu-ray looks crap as well.

I would say that it's not the Blu-ray itself that looks like crap, it's the film method. It looks to me like the Director (Paul Dugdale) wanted to build on the same grainy film look of the "Princess of China" video. I found this snippet from a story that ran about the Princess of China video at Creative Planet Network http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/2-pop/feature/%E2%80%9Cprincess-china-harbor-picture-company-travels-back-time-coldplay-and-rihanna/60232

"Directors Adria Petty and Alan Bibby “wanted a grainy film look to the video to help capture the storyline,” explains Gawler. “My past experience coupled with Resolve’s features helped us create that look by using proper gamma curves, crosstalk, colors, shadows and highlights."

It doesn't sit well with me either, but I can write-off the look of the end product a little better knowing that it wasn't the result of shoddy production work, rather it was a concious, 'artistic' choice.... one of which most of us - me included - apparently don't have the cultural pedigree to appreciate ;)

Yes, they are two of the individual three selections in "Extras" menu, along with "Photos", which is a slideshow of photographs that runs for a few minutes. I wish there was a way that you could put together a custom playlist, and include DLIBYH and The Scientist into the main "film", where there actually fit in the order of play from the tour.

Thanks for that! :)

Did anyone buy their DVD/CD from a website called sonora.com? Or anyone here from Columbia? It seems when they order their's, they get a cool bracelet and movie poster.

I saw this stuff on tumblr:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdsswwJiPi1r60qn0o1_500.jpg

Anyone seen this before?

THAT POSTER IS FOLDED! :o if mine comes folded i will send it back!

My lithograph just arrived. And yes it does look a bit dull, but still very nice.

And yes, after a number of viewings of the DVD it really isn't half as good as Live 2003. Feel a bit short changed to be honest, something i thought i'd never say.

I bought the Blu-Ray and lithograph bundle. I thought it was a decent film, but way overproduced. It felt almost more like one long trailer for itself than anything of real substance. I would have much preferred a live show in its entirety along with some extras including interviews with the band and perhaps a tour diary, more like Live 2003 (which was excellent).

Additionally, the lithograph is pretty terrible. It looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer. I got my order in within half an hour of it going on sale and mine is numbered higher than 5000... there were only supposed to be 5000 in the first place, so I'm not happy with it.

However, the live footage of the band is absolutely brilliant as usual, and they work very hard at what they do... but I'll be glad when this overblown MX era is at an end. I know I'm being a little critical, but I know what kind of wonderful live atmosphere Coldplay are capable of creating, especially without the pre-recorded background strings and synths that they use these days.

In short, I still love them very much, but I hope the next album brings with it a return to something more grounded with a little less flash. Wow, I sound like an old man!

Additionally, the lithograph is pretty terrible. It looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer. I got my order in within half an hour of it going on sale and mine is numbered higher than 5000... there were only supposed to be 5000 in the first place, so I'm not happy with it.

i think it was 6000... but getting over 5000 when being one of the first to order is not right! i saw someone on here who had 2000 something and ordered a few weeks ago... :thinking:

i think it was 6000... but getting over 5000 when being one of the first to order is not right! i saw someone on here who had 2000 something and ordered a few weeks ago... :thinking:

It was 5000, it's 6000 now (probably because they screwed up too much orders).