✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay MX comic panel at Comic-Con (13 July 2012)

inspectah94

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen them on Amazon, well on the US Amazon. You just type in Mylo Xyloto Comics. Not sure if that's any help to you or not. :\

Ohhh you are right :surprised: I hadn't actually looked for them.

Unfortunately the shipping is almost 5x the price of the comic (:stunned:)... So I guess I'll just wait a few more months and order them from the official store (and wait ages for each one of them to arrive) or wait until the six issues are all released and order them in a bundle or something.

Cover #4

193.jpg

Item description

The rock 'n' roll saga of Mylo Xyloto continues, as Major Minus perfects his plan for a mind-blowing power grab for ultimate control over the citizens of Silencia. Meanwhile, the mysterious Fly ignites a spark in Mylo, introducing him to a new universe of unimaginable possibilities. However, Mylo's newfound freedom and bonds of loyalty may very well be put to the test sooner than he expects.

Interview with the colorist, Steve Hamaker (in case it has not been posted already)

Excerpts:

TOM SPURGEON: Before we get into things like RASL and I completely forget about everything else, I wanted to talk about the next project you have coming out. You worked on the Coldplay comic, Mylo Xyloto. That seems like a pretty good gig. How did that one come to you?

STEVE HAMAKER: It was just lucky meetings with the right people. The guy that's running it, Mark Osborne, is a movie director. Kung Fu Panda was his big movie recently. At some point early on with the Bone movie, Jeff and Vijaya [iyer] had met him. He was interested in Bone and he wanted to interview for the director position for the movie. Jeff and Vijaya were trying to help Warner Brothers find a director. This was years ago, probably three years ago now. He actually came out to Columbus on his own dime, and he went out to dinner with us -- we all went out. That's where I met him. A year after that, he called me out of the blue and said, "Hey... you're a colorist." [laughs] "You want to work on this project with Coldplay?"

It was literally a random call from someone I would have tried to contact if I had known about it previously. It's not like I kept in touch with him after the initial meeting, he just liked my coloring, thankfully. We had other people in common, like Kazu Kibuishi of Amulet fame. A lot of the other Flight guys out in L.A. knew him, so it was like our artist-friend circles were intertwined.

I was the same as you... "Wait, what? What is this? It's a comic based on a rock album? Why do they want to do this...?" [spurgeon laughs] Of course I said yes before I saw the artwork or anything. I was still full-time with Jeff Smith then. I've been on my own for almost a year now. So it kind of fell into my lap.

Alex_Fuentes_1_thumb.jpg

SPURGEON: What was artistically satisfying about this one? I saw the convention preview pages and they were very pretty. I know that color is thematically important to that story, so you have a chance to be thematically involved there.

HAMAKER: That was really big. You kind of hit the nail on the head there. I actually do like the band, and love that album. The art is done by a guy I've worked alongside before. Alex Fuentes -- one of the Flight guys I'd met in passing years ago. For me it's always been, especially with Jeff, that I take color seriously in a different way than just making it look pretty, but in a very storytelling-heavy way as well. I'm sure other colorists feel the same way, colorists like Dave Stewart. I'm sure he carries themes throughout scenes, and establishes things that weigh into the storytelling. There's also the idea that you don't want people to look at the coloring aside from the line art, otherwise you jar the reader's eyes out of the story. With this Coldplay thing it was actually a little bit of all of that. The story is about color, about the repression of color in this society that punishes its denizens if they think in color or look at color or especially if they use color. It's a very basic story about rebellion, trying to overthrow a government that's trying to boil people down to nothing and use them as energy to control other people they're trying to suppress.

SPURGEON: Tell me about the process early on with a project, when you're putting together a color... a color design, maybe, for lack of a better word. Do you play around with the colors you're going to use, do you noodle with it? Do you seize on an idea pretty quickly?

HAMAKER: Yeah. I usually take things in scenes. Jeff is very scene-heavy in the way he writes. He has setpieces with specific character staging and backgrounds for most of his scenes. I'm working on RASL right now, and there's a scene where the spooky girl, RASL, and the president are all talking in the desert. It lasts for eight pages. Those pages aren't going to change drastically from one to another, so the first page will set the tone for that whole chunk of pages. That's kind of my approach, taking the first page of a scene and saying, "Okay, how do I want this to be." You have to think about how the characters will pop against the background if that needs to happen.

The Coldplay project is so different artistically than what Jeff usually gives me, in that the Mylo pages are really, really fleshed out with gray tones and blacks. Alex does so much more detail with gray tones and his line art than Jeff does with a lot of his stuff. So it's different for me to color. In some instances it's easier, but then in others it's a different challenge. Every artist's style takes color differently. It's part of the process for me to adapt. Once I establish one color decision, it leads to the next one. You take what you've done in one scene, and that takes you on to the next scene. Obviously you don't want to completely shift the color schemes from one chapter to another. Like the skin tones of the main characters have to look consistent, or you'll throw people out of the story. "Okay, I know that the main character in the Coldplay comic has blue skin; he'll have blue skin in the whole book." Pretty basic stuff.

There are technical things that carry over. It becomes less creative until the very last stage where I'm going in and rendering things. Doing special effects with some of the color parts of the Coldplay comic; it is really special effects heavy. That's new for me. I've never done anything that bold color-wise. Mark was adamant from the very beginning, "We want you to blast that color out." It's a gray world, and suddenly these characters are shooting colors out of their fingertips. That has to really pop. That was kind of hard. There were a few pages at the beginning where they were kind of like, "No, no, it's not enough." And I'm saying, "It's like Dayglo; are you sure?" [spurgeon laughs] They made me push it, but I like it a lot.

Hamaker_Mylo_Compare_thumb.jpg

SPURGEON: So you worked with a lot of feedback, particularly early on?

HAMAKER: Absolutely. It was with the first two issues that Mark and the artist Alex had ideas. The band chimed in with some stuff, too, which was helpful. Real little things. "Hey, make this more intense." "Change that skin tone a little bit so he looks less similar to the other guy."

pfff still nothing :( I ordered it on Coldplay.com to have it quick.. When I see it in a store now, I can't buy it because it would be stupid if mine arrives a few days later :(

Hope it comes fast :D Did anyone recieve it allready? Is it cool? :)

pfff still nothing :( I ordered it on Coldplay.com to have it quick.. When I see it in a store now, I can't buy it because it would be stupid if mine arrives a few days later :(

Hope it comes fast :D Did anyone recieve it allready? Is it cool? :)

same here

Earlier today I sent livenation an e-mail and I got this reply:

Response Via Email (Barbara) 02/26/2013 03:53 PM

Hello ,

Thank you for contacting Live Nation Member Services. The UK warehouse is scheduled to receive Issue #1 this week. You will be notified when it is available to ship.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Barbara

Live Nation Merchandise Customer Service

http://www.store.livenation.com/

Toll Free (US): 800.767.7160

International: 001-(949)- 333-4820

So hopefully everything will be shipped by the end of the week or next week...

Nothing here yet. I hope that the next issues will get here faster. It's frustrated to walk by comic stores that have them already and then you are still waiting for yours that you ordered ages ago.

Email from Live Nation Merchandis​e:

Dear Coldplay Customer,

We're writing to give you an update on your order for Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto comic series. Unfortunately there was a delay on sending out issue #1 on its release in February, for which we apologise.

To make amends, we've managed to get issue #2 of the comic ahead of its scheduled street date (13 March), and your package containing issue #1 and #2 will be shipped this week.

Issues #3, #4, #5 and #6 will then each be shipped before the official street date of that particular issue (10 April, 8 May, 12 June and 10 July respectively).

We hope you enjoy the comics.