✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Anyone into the Brony Music Scene?

Chris's Nuts

I know it's a limited audience but an enthusiastic one. Fans of MLP.... I've been making music with them since i discovered them (mainly EDM). http://www.youtube.com/user/thefreewave It's a youthful and optimistic community for the most part and that's what i love about them. Well actually the fact that they've made a whole music scene that's full of actually many good musicians with home-made and often free tracks. There's likely close to a thousand musicians making various style and adaptions from the show with a good chunk of them are actually good.

http://bronymusic.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzpDguYAroU]just[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl3l67XY2Wc]a few[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUt6ApWfZP8]tracks[/ame]

Have you checked it out? Do you like it? Or is this completely off the musical map for you guys? Haven't visited Cping in quite awhile so thought I'd see if there's a crossover fanbase at all.

I know it's a limited audience but an enthusiastic one. Fans of MLP.... I've been making music with them since i discovered them (mainly EDM).

Shows how self-obsessed and deluded My Little Pony fans are when they assume everyone knows what MLP and EDM stands for (What's EDM?).

I share the same opinion as Cobalt. I've heard quite a bit of the Brony music, and some of it is indeed impressive, but then again, you'll have people who can't really make music, but think they can and insist on doing so anyway.

I've been a Coldplay fan for years - since 2002, so that would be the AROBTTH days, and I happen to be one of those lucky few who got dragged into the pony fandom, and actually operate the site that the UK bronies go on.

The thing to remember about bronies, is that some seem to forget that not everyone wants to have the fandom, the show, or any of the content forced on them. But then again, many fandoms (Furry, Anime, etc.) are also like this.

Shows how self-obsessed and deluded My Little Pony fans are when they assume everyone knows what MLP and EDM stands for (What's EDM?).

Loaded words, but sometimes we talk in code so that we get stabbed with pitchforks a little less. :) MLP is basically short for My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic which (surprisingly) has both a male and an older fanbase (besides the target one) because it's simply a good show and because people have done some very cool creative things with it as an influence (art, video, + music for example). The reaction to show in many ways is more fascinating then the show itself. Anyway I started a thread less to "recruit" and more to see how much our microverse is visibly seen by the general public or how many bronies may actually be Coldplay fans. Bronies love positivity a bit more then the norm so Coldplay at least seems like a good thing to have in common.

EDM's hardly a real thing anyway

EDM is just short for electronic dance music (house, trance, electro, drum & bass, yada, yada). It certainly isn't all that the brony community specializes in but a lot of it. It's just a big parent genre. Basically like saying something is Rock music which really describes VERY little about it but the most general description of how its made but not what its really like as a style.

I share the same opinion as Cobalt. I've heard quite a bit of the Brony music, and some of it is indeed impressive, but then again, you'll have people who can't really make music, but think they can and insist on doing so anyway.

I've been a Coldplay fan for years - since 2002, so that would be the AROBTTH days, and I happen to be one of those lucky few who got dragged into the pony fandom, and actually operate the site that the UK bronies go on.

The thing to remember about bronies, is that some seem to forget that not everyone wants to have the fandom, the show, or any of the content forced on them. But then again, many fandoms (Furry, Anime, etc.) are also like this.

Yeah there's quite a bit of it that MEH or is just bland music with a pony image thrown on it. Course you gotta realize a lot of people making the music are first time musicians (some are not, the 15 year ) and the community encourages people becoming better ones and developing their skills plus 95% is free music. The production values in a lot of the upper pantheon is pretty impressive although some of the music is starting to sound maybe too slick.

Yeah i think a lot of "us" start getting so used to the way our community works that when we step out from that iinto the public we're always a bit shocked that people don't know us or the scene and see it as "weird". Which I agree it is to a degree. Then again a lot of people like that its breaking for tradition and going in a very interesting direction as a subculture.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3-h1V7mY0]Case in point[/ame]

Yeah I got into Coldplay in the AROBTTH era (after my wife was a PArachutes era fan). Then came my fansite to THEM, collecting bootleg concerts, yada, yada. Some good times. Haven't been here in ages.

Ugh.

No.

My housemate was a brony and a furry. And UGH.

He came to Isle of Wight and complained throughout the entire line-up that they weren't as good as his MLP brony-dubstep.

And then he worked Reading and complained throughout the entire thing that these people weren't musicians and should look up brony music.

Oh and when I met Howler and he came with me, he tried to introduce them to MLP music.

I'm sorry but whatt. Why is it the bronies think that everyone should love their stuff and it's so influential?

Ugh.

No.

He came to Isle of Wight and complained throughout the entire line-up that they weren't as good as his MLP brony-dubstep.

And then he worked Reading and complained throughout the entire thing that these people weren't musicians and should look up brony music.

Oh and when I met Howler and he came with me, he tried to introduce them to MLP music.

I'm sorry but whatt. Why is it the bronies think that everyone should love their stuff and it's so influential?

That's just being a ******

EDIT - MY INSULT IS CENSORED OUT AND IT WASN'T EVEN THAT OFFENSIVE

oh well let's just say he gets his jollies being an insufferable tosspot

That's just being a ******

EDIT - MY INSULT IS CENSORED OUT AND IT WASN'T EVEN THAT OFFENSIVE

oh well let's just say he gets his jollies being an insufferable tosspot

You're very right.

I wanted to strangle him on several occasions.

But the other bronies of his I've met are always going on about how brony music is the best thing ever. And I just don't get how you can say that? :inquisitive:

Ugh.

No.

I wanted to strangle him on several occasions.

But the other bronies of his I've met are always going on about how brony music is the best thing ever. And I just don't get how you can say that? :inquisitive:

Sorry that does sound rather awful. It's one thing to be a fan of it but it's another trying to go around and convert, be annoying, and most importantly not SHUT UP about it if someone isn't interested. Especially comparing apples to oranges. I mean I love brony music but i also love non-brony music too. To talk about it incessantly is annoying gives us a bad name. My apologies if you've dealt with THAT brony..

Why is My little Pony so famous anyway? :sick:

Famous it's not, but it does have a dedicated and massive online fanbase even though it's really not THAT massive. Touhou (Japan video game circle) and Wizard Rock (Harry Potter influenced bands) is the only thing I've seen that's similar and those are older. Bronies really started in early 2011.

These 2 vids likely do the best at explaining the phenomenon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olLDrvc1qt4]this[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7I_IDX98g]and that[/ame]

I also made this list with a brief history and with the best of Brony Music. Basically an intro and explanation of what it is, who it is, and what it's all about.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym_ultimate_box_set__brony_music

Sorry that does sound rather awful. It's one thing to be a fan of it but it's another trying to go around and convert, be annoying, and most importantly not SHUT UP about it if someone isn't interested. Especially comparing apples to oranges. I mean I love brony music but i also love non-brony music too. To talk about it incessantly is annoying gives us a bad name. My apologies if you've dealt with THAT brony..

Aww, it's not your fault. I happened to find a bad brony which has definitely jaded my view.

I mean if he preferred brony music to other music then I'd be okay... But like literally I can't name one non-brony artist I've ever heard him listen to or say he's liked. :stunned:

I probably also wouldn't mind the music so much if I heard it in passing. But I heard it for about 8 hours a day. Sometimes loud enough to disrupt mine, which I don't deal well with.

That history you've written is quite interesting though. I kind of have a bit more respect for it knowing there is a background to it.

Thanks. I've kind of been fascinated by genres for the longest time as I helped organize the RYM Box Set Project which was dedicated to a history of musical scenes and genres. The fact that I was wrapping up that project with my own year of making music with practically no audience (and no real technique at that time) and then discovering this creative and thriving new scene that was equal opportunity, with continual things to influence me, no genre restrictions, and some great initial artists really got me hooked. Plus it's really cool to jump into a music scene while it's still unfolding and developing. I really haven't looked back even though it's been a weird and fun road I've traveled on. I can see it's weird to outsiders but on the other hand it's amazing, positive, and interesting once you check it out. Plus there's just load of good music in there too depending on what you like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The lack of SoGreatandPowerful in this thread is disappointing. I rectify it forthwith.

Like so.

I am a brony myself, and I can enjoy some of the songs in the fandom, so long as it's somewhat thoughtfully written. I'm not one to enjoy the dubstep/house stuff that's out there, but there are some great musicians out there to counter all of that.