✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Obama or Romney?

R's Symphony

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really though because popular vote is irrelevant, which is the stupidest system ever.

I agree, my vote doesn't count as this area is highly Tory, iirc he got nearly 50% of the vote in 2010, the next biggest got 23%. So unless something happens NW Hampshire will remain a safe seat. (Unlike down the road which is a swing seat).

Obama

Romney is a wish-washy, out of touch billionaire that is only looking out for rich pricks like himself. (Sorry if I offended any pro-Romney folk with this, but I had to put my 2 cents in. ) I'm not a democrat or republican, but I seriously feel like if Romney gets elected, it will be like voting (gag) George W Bush for a 3rd term. Does anyone seriously want that?!

Obama

Romney is a wish-washy, out of touch billionaire that is only looking out for rich pricks like himself. (Sorry if I offended any pro-Romney folk with this, but I had to put my 2 cents in. ) I'm not a democrat or republican, but I seriously feel like if Romney gets elected, it will be like voting (gag) George W Bush for a 3rd term. Does anyone seriously want that?!

Because Obama's been nothing like Bush at all?

Because Obama's been nothing like Bush at all?

Never said I though Obama was doing a fantastic job, but sometimes you can tell when someone is a lying, ridiculous, snake in the grass, and I can tell that with Romney. I just don't trust the guy, he can't even give straight answers to a lot of the questions people are asking. Obama is the lesser of 2 evils here. I trust he can try to do better than Romney. With Romney it's going be George W all over again. But hey, the recession must have just fell out of the sky, right? Or you can try to blame that on Obama, like so many others are. :rolleyes: ...Even though, I lost my job back in 2007 due to the failing economy(I worked in the housing industry) and who was President then? Not Obama. Just saying. :confused:

I simply thought the irony was there that you talk about Romney being the next Bush when Obama's been constantly compared as similar to Bush for years now.

Funny, I've honestly never heard that. ...I don't typically talk about politics too often, and I will most likely not again because there is always a lot of disagreement and it tends to get a bit nasty. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so you have every right to say what you are saying. I've said my piece, I'm done.

I'm just waiting for the day when some of the delegates to go against their parties' vote, because technically they can do that.

Yeah but faithless electors are very, very rare. Only one, In Michigan, I believe (WAY TO GO CARRIE GAWSH) last did that in 2004. They can do it, but they are usually stripped of their duties as electors and everyone gets super pissed off at them.

The system exists because the drafters of the constitution didn't want to leave it in the hands of the public (who naturally are stupider than electors) to select the federal government's figurehead.

So we're still stuck with it.

Funny, I've honestly never heard that. ...I don't typically talk about politics too often, and I will most likely not again because there is always a lot of disagreement and it tends to get a bit nasty. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so you have every right to say what you are saying. I've said my piece, I'm done.

This is what has lead you to never talk about politics again?! I didn't even disagree with you about Romney. But I do feel if you're main reason for putting your vote forth against someone is because they might seem a bit slimey to you, then sometimes apathy isn't the worst thing for a country.

But yes, comparisons were being drawn before Obama was even elected as possible similarities, a lot of them have come true. I'm not saying Romney will be more or less like Bush in comparison with Obama, again just the irony of thinking Obama hasn't made some remarkably similar promises and ideals, here's an exhausting list but light-hearted in tone:

http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2011/08/bush-20-100-ways-barack-obama-is-just.html

And for the record, Romney isn't like Bush. Romney's more traditionally conservative and his platform is built upon eradication of deficit and tax relief as opposed to social issues and infrastructural adjustments.

I'm tired of people calling him an "out-of-touch" millionaire, because that's what Obama is too. We're all trying to get the American Dream: Make a ton of money through hard work. Why attack his family who has achieved that? I'd prefer to attack his tax plan (which doesn't add up). Or his social welfare framework (which he'll cut, hard).

An in-touch middle-class person would never win. Or run, for that matter.

Obama has my vote for his policies and procedures. Not for something irresponsible like the fact that he's black or pro-gay or "cool" or whatever.

I think this poll won't be very fair because the majority of non-Americans will probably choose Obama. (At least, the majority of non-Americans that I know of would prefer Obama, including myself)

Now I don't know anything about politics or economy, so I don't really know (or care much) what Romney has to offer America but if I had to choose I would pick Obama.

Out of interest, are there any non-Americans who would rather have Romney? And why?

Romney has nothing to offer America.... Nuff said.

This is what has lead you to never talk about politics again?! I didn't even disagree with you about Romney. But I do feel if you're main reason for putting your vote forth against someone is because they might seem a bit slimey to you, then sometimes apathy isn't the worst thing for a country.

But yes, comparisons were being drawn before Obama was even elected as possible similarities, a lot of them have come true. I'm not saying Romney will be more or less like Bush in comparison with Obama, again just the irony of thinking Obama hasn't made some remarkably similar promises and ideals, here's an exhausting list but light-hearted in tone:

http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2011/08/bush-20-100-ways-barack-obama-is-just.html

I didn't say that this right here and only this lead me to not want to talk about it anymore, it's just the general fact that every time 2 people disagree about politics, it CAN quickly turn nasty and I don't want to go there. And for the record, I mainly would not vote for Romney because he doesn't GIVE SPECIFICS ON ANY OF HIS PLANs FOR MY COUNTRY. And people can compare Obama to Bush all they want, no salt off my back. I'm not voting for Romney because I have heard enough about him (and own words from his mouth) to feel he isn't going to cut it. He has no definitive plan, and I'm not for that.

I didn't say that this right here and only this lead me to not want to talk about it anymore, it's just the general fact that every time 2 people disagree about politics, it CAN quickly turn nasty and I don't want to go there.

So basically...

1. You said something.

2. reilly appeared to disagree.

3. You get scared and jump out the window because of the vague possibility of future nastiness? Chillax and don't be afraid of a meaningful intellectual conversation (presuming you're not afraid of backing-up your assertions). It's when people don't see contrast as a personal threaten that I'm reminded that this forum can be sometimes seldom fun sometimes often...

And for the record, I mainly would not vote for Romney because he doesn't GIVE SPECIFICS ON ANY OF HIS PLANs FOR MY COUNTRY. And people can compare Obama to Bush all they want, no salt off my back. I'm not voting for Romney because I have heard enough about him (and own words from his mouth) to feel he isn't going to cut it. He has no definitive plan, and I'm not for that.

I feel you shaking from this side of your monitor. Here, have a sip of my vanilla sencha. So, are you conceding the strong similarities between Obama and Romney, and just saying that Obama is the lesser of two weevils?

And for the record, Romney isn't like Bush. Romney's more traditionally conservative and his platform is built upon eradication of deficit and tax relief as opposed to social issues and infrastructural adjustments.

I'm tired of people calling him an "out-of-touch" millionaire, because that's what Obama is too. We're all trying to get the American Dream: Make a ton of money through hard work. Why attack his family who has achieved that? I'd prefer to attack his tax plan (which doesn't add up). Or his social welfare framework (which he'll cut, hard).

An in-touch middle-class person would never win. Or run, for that matter.

Obama has my vote for his policies and procedures. Not for something irresponsible like the fact that he's black or pro-gay or "cool" or whatever.

Thank you, Brent. I completely agree.

I completely forgot I had a response for this on a tab I haven't looked at in hours:

I didn't say that this right here and only this lead me to not want to talk about it anymore, it's just the general fact that every time 2 people disagree about politics, it CAN quickly turn nasty and I don't want to go there. And for the record, I mainly would not vote for Romney because he doesn't GIVE SPECIFICS ON ANY OF HIS PLANs FOR MY COUNTRY. And people can compare Obama to Bush all they want, no salt off my back. I'm not voting for Romney because I have heard enough about him (and own words from his mouth) to feel he isn't going to cut it. He has no definitive plan, and I'm not for that.

I often have discussions about politics, sometimes with people of completely different values, and it doesn't turn nasty, do you think it might be you? I get your (new) point without the caps locks thanks, it may be no salt (?) off your back but your original view was that we could never have another Bush, but clearly many believe we already have that, so surely it should bother you that there are some pretty consistent comparisons? That was your whole initial point.

I mean if you think those comparisons are false then fair enough, or even if you don't really know but don't believe in them, OK, but to start acting like WHO CARES IF BUSH AND OBAMA ARE THE SAME I JUST DON'T LIKE ROMNEY BECAUSE HIS POLICIES ARE MUCKED, well that's frustrating.

So basically...

1. You said something.

2. reilly appeared to disagree.

3. You get scared and jump out the window because of the vague possibility of future nastiness? Chillax and don't be afraid of a meaningful intellectual conversation (presuming you're not afraid of backing-up your assertions). It's when people don't see contrast as a personal threaten that I'm reminded that this forum can be sometimes seldom fun sometimes often...

I feel you shaking from this side of your monitor. Here, have a sip of my vanilla sencha. So, are you conceding the strong similarities between Obama and Romney, and just saying that Obama is the lesser of two weevils?

Maybe you should chillax. Take your own advice instead of trying to sound more "smartz" than me. You sound like you are freaking out about my response.. ..not understanding why my response ruffled your feathers so much. :rolleyes: Whatever.

I completely forgot I had a response for this on a tab I haven't looked at in hours:

I often have discussions about politics, sometimes with people of completely different values, and it doesn't turn nasty, do you think it might be you? I get your (new) point without the caps locks thanks, it may be no salt (?) off your back but your original view was that we could never have another Bush, but clearly many believe we already have that, so surely it should bother you that there are some pretty consistent comparisons? That was your whole initial point.

I mean if you think those comparisons are false then fair enough, or even if you don't really know but don't believe in them, OK, but to start acting like WHO CARES IF BUSH AND OBAMA ARE THE SAME I JUST DON'T LIKE ROMNEY BECAUSE HIS POLICIES ARE MUCKED, well that's frustrating.

Ok, I heard your opinion it is time to let it drop. We agree to disagree. I'm not trying to get nasty at all, so sorry if I appeared that way.

Maybe you should chillax. Take your own advice instead of trying to sound more "smartz" than me. You sound like you are freaking out about my response.. ..not understanding why my response ruffled your feathers so much. :rolleyes: Whatever.

Ok, I heard your opinion it is time to let it drop. We agree to disagree. I'm not trying to get nasty at all, so sorry if I appeared that way.

Oh god...

You always seem to miss the point -no I was not saying you're trying to be nasty, I just think your naivety makes other people frustrated, and you make it worse until they turn nasty. That being said, nobody has yet, Spieler even offered some tea.

Where on earth did you get this idea? I'm trying to generate a perfectly interesting conversation. You complain about other people turning nasty, and then just shrug me off when I ask you a genuine question about your views. As reilly said, it's frustrating.

Ok, you want a direct response, I get that. ...Here's the deal. I don't like Romney's taxation policies. He claims that he will lower taxes for everyone,including the class I'm in (middle class) but in order for him to do so, he takes away our deductions that my family personally relies on. He will take away our tax deductions for owning a home and for having 3 children. Every year, my husband and I get these deductions during tax time and it helps us out a lot. You look into the numbers of his ideas and the amount of our taxes he plans to lower does not offset the loss of these deductions. Also, I do not feel we should throw millions of more dollars into our military like he plans to do when I was hopeful we would stop sending our troops into more areas of the world, I feel it's sending the wrong message for our presence to filter into more countries. Also, just to clarify, I do not feel like Obama is like Bush , I simply meant that if you feel that way, or you know of others feel that way, it is what it is, but I do not feel that way. I can't deny the simple fact that my family is doing well under Obama's time in office. My husband and I built a house during this time and that alone is major seeing that my husband works in manufacturing and I'm a stay-at-home -mom. My husband's company has seen growth during this time frame and it is a small manufacturing company. My husband has even gotten his overtime back, which was very limited during 2007 and 2008. ...I'm not an Ivy League, sophisticated person, and I'm not going to pretend to be a genius when it comes to politics, but Romney being in office will hurt my family in the long run. I know that for a fact. I'm just trying to state why I personally feel Romney is not the best choice for my family. That's all I was trying to say. Hope I was specific enough.

Obama

I think Romney is getting it all wrong....he's not ready for the presidency. how could someone keep changing what they've been hammering on for so long? he won the first debate just because of style...nothing else. facts were untrue

so yeah, for me, the man's Obama!