✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XIV CLOSED! XVI coming soon!!! Very soon!

DiOli05

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could jump in :) (had so many songs on my possible-list that I have a lot that I couldn't fit on a mixtape). Would probably take about a day, but I don't want anyone to be left in the cold (even though sort of they already are :( ).

Should we have a black list of people who sign up and then refuse to communicate in any way with us? Just to prevent this thing from happening all the next times again...

I could jump in :) (had so many songs on my possible-list that I have a lot that I couldn't fit on a mixtape). Would probably take about a day, but I don't want anyone to be left in the cold (even though sort of they already are :( ).

Should we have a black list of people who sign up and then refuse to communicate in any way with us? Just to prevent this thing from happening all the next times again...

Uh no. That's actually pretty rude and people can be busy sometimes. Just because they can't do it this time doesn't mean that they're automatically banned from doing it next time.

Well I understand that people can be busy and occupied, it was just a proposal. But you're probably right, that's a bit too far. To be clear:I don't accuse anyone here of anything!

I myself know to well that I have been at times more than late... ;)

Mine had to go from 325, to 80, to 70, to 40, to the last list, the last cut almost made me cry. So hard to do lol

EDIT: I will take you into account for extra mixtape maker :) I will be letting you know tomorrow morning (In like 12h) if we will need it, or if I heard anything from the missing people.

Also, since I do not want the mixtapes that are meant for the missing people to go unreviewed, we will be needing reviewers as well! :D

If I won't get a tape, then let it be. I can wait for a next exchange to hear something new. For now I will listen to other tapes made, like R_burns' :awesome:

About the black list, I think I suggested something like that last time. What people said and I noticed myself is that people that don't hand in a tape or don't review, don't sign up for a next time, so we don't need a black list.

Uh no. That's actually pretty rude and people can be busy sometimes. Just because they can't do it this time doesn't mean that they're automatically banned from doing it next time.
I don't agree with this. As said above, people can at least take a bitsy piece of time to let at least know that they draw back or are too late or whatever. If you're too busy, don't sign up and if you get too busy after signing up, then be so kind to let someone know. We know the dates of handing in a tape and signing up before we start, so we can take it into account. The rude part here is the people that sign up and just ignore the whole project. At least that's how I see it :thinking:

I think the problem is that often new members join up who only visit this site very occasionally and they completely forget about signing up. One way to solve this would be to email all participants (not pm's) to remind them and then to chase up if they haven't followed through.

I think the problem is that often new members join up who only visit this site very occasionally and they completely forget about signing up. One way to solve this would be to email all participants (not pm's) to remind them and then to chase up if they haven't followed through.

I think so too. I have sent both emails and pm though... :(

MY REVIEW:

1. Sunshiney. I like this. Really fun, upbeat and catchy. Very good

2. Muse? I've never been that fussed on Muse, they seem a bit pretenious sometimes, but this is decent song. Has a good beat, nice synthy bits and grungey guitar. I've heard it before but dunno the name of the song.

3. Hmmmm odd start. Then it all goes a bit Paramore. It's not really horrible but it's not my sort of thing, I don't like her vocal, too aggressive and angsty.

4. Cute little acoustic with story-telling-type lyrics. Not bad, sounds a bit dull tho, like a watered down Frank Turner. Don't like the guy's accent either.

5. Sounds like Keane. Again it's not a bad song, it's ok but nothing special about it. It's all a bit too mainstream for me to get excited tho.

6. Haha ok it's all gone a bit dracula...creepy. Phantom of the Opera, ok, complete gear change, wasn't expecting that. Not bad, even if it is a little 70s.

7. I know this. Simply Red, omfg! Off the Stars album, am I right? My mum had this lp on cassette tape, waaay back when. Think I used to try and nick it off her. Great song, even if Mick Hucknell does give me the creeps...

...ok after the last two tracks I am confused what age my mixtape maker is, I was thinking late teens but now I'm not so sure :D

8. Instrumental, like a movie soundtrack. Or sounds like something off Fantastia. Keeps fading in and out which is odd, but it's pretty.

9. Killllllerrrrs ? LOVE this song, haven't heard it in aaages. "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" Brilliant

10. More Muse? Sounds like Matt Bellamy anyway. Not bad, grungey, solid drumming. Liking the distorted guitar solo.

11. Instumental? Slow start. Sounds like a movie soundtrack thingie again, all dramatic tension building. Now some soft but high pitched singing, it's ok I guess. Quite dramatic, nice strings.

12. Omg The Bee Gees - are u kidding me? What can I say, don't want to bad mouth it cos it's a classic but it's not something I'd choose to listen to personally. It's so cheesy. :laugh3:

Interesting mixtape there, thanks :) You mixed it up a bit with different styles. Overall tho, it was a bit too mainstream for me (although there was a few curveballs in there :lol:) I really like it when a mixtape gives me a few new artists to get excited about tho, but you achieved that with Track 1, I'd like to know who did that one and check out more from that guy :thumbsup:

Anyway Thanks :)

I will review mine on the weekend. Already got it, had time for some listening which made me quite interested :)

But exams first, then time to write a review which will turn out too be full of "wow, cool what's that?" if the first impressions are anything to go by...

Still no tape :\

Check again :)

me either :(

so how many people still haven't replied about submissions?

Only one person never said anything, the other mixtape makers have said that they will be late. Right now i am just waiting on two mixtapes, and a third that needs fixing so I have not sent it at all. For the person that never said anything, someone else took its place, so we are just waiting on the confirmed late tapes now.

Other than that, I have been trying to make sure everyone has working links.

Mixtape maker, I'm sorry if you're one of those impatient people who want a review straight away. I've had my best friend over the past couple of days, so today was the first time I've been able to go listen to your tape again. I've started taking my initial notes on it, and I hope to have a review for you relatively soon. I just thought I'd let you know that I haven't completely forgotten about you. :nice:

OK, I know this is a double post (sorry about that), but I think I'm ready to post my review now. I've listened to my tape a few times, and it'll probably be on again as I type this out so I can make sure to say what I want to say about the tape.

My partner (whoever you are) obviously put a lot of thought into this tape. My mixtape has been named "Into the Sublime Seas," and it came with 3 album covers that I could use. I liked all three, but I think the second cover in blue that looked like water was my favorite. (I'd post the pics of the album covers within the post, but I know my review will be long, and I don't want to take up even more room with the pictures.)

My tape also came with a note, which read as follows:

"Be not the slave of your own past.

Plunge into the sublime seas,

dive deep and swim far,

so you shall come back with self-respect,

with new power,

with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old."

I'm not really sure what my partner has planned with all this, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of theme with all this. Thank you, partner, for taking the extra time to do all this other stuff. I really appreciate it. :D

My tape has twelve songs on it. I was disappointed about that at first (as I like a lot of songs), but then I realized that these 12 songs took up an hour's worth of time. None of the songs are under 4 minutes long, and the longest one is over 7 minutes long. For 12 songs, this is a pretty meaty tape. I like meaty tapes. :wacky:

I've bored you guys enough with the other stuff. Onto the music!

1. The opener is a bright, fun folk record. I got reminded of multiple bands due to different aspects of the song. The frantic sounding "la la la la la" and stuff reminds me of Animal Collective. The vocals remind me of The Beatles, for some bizarre reason. The instrumental section in the latter half of the song reminds me of Passion Pit. I love the guitar and the hand-claps. This is a great opener. Thanks for starting with such a fun song. :smiley:

2. This serves as a nice contrast to the opener, as it's got more of an ambient vibe going on. "Hello, echo, I've finally found you again." There are male vocals with vibrato. The vibrato is almost a bit much for me, but not quite. I like them more than I expected to, and the more I listen to the song, the more I like them. I love the arpeggios in the background. (It sounds like a vibraphone, which is also awesome.) The song starts to build up and adds drums, and it eventually gets to this nice climax. I'm a fan of the guitar bit that takes place in the last 30 seconds of the song. I really like this one.

3. This song opens with guitar. I'm getting a surf rock vibe from this. I'm not a fan of the vocals; I can't really hear them above all the other things going on, and I can't understand what he's singing. I'm not the biggest fan of the music in itself, either. The guitar gets slightly annoying after a while, and the song in general doesn't really go anywhere. It's not terrible, but it could be better.

4. This sounds like another folk number, and it's pretty reminiscent of stuff like Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes. The soft male vocals remind me of William Fitzsimmons, but they're not as breathy. I like the vocals a lot. The inclusion of snare drum later in the song is nice, and I appreciate it. There's also an interesting addition in the instrumental break; I'm not sure what instrument it is, but it's the "wah-oo" bit that kinda sounds like a digeridoo. Whatever it is, it adds a nice texture. This song is definitely something that I could see myself listening to in the future. It fits part of my musical profile quite well. :D

5. This is more of an ambient thing, and the beginning is great. It starts with violin, then adds bass and drums later. The layering within the song is really nice. The song reminds me of Noah and the Whale or something. This is particularly true with the vocals, as the singer has a certain quality to his voice that reminds me of Charlie Fink, for some reason. It seems that this song is a song of empowerment, based on the bits of lyrics I have picked up. (e.g. "You will not see me fall and see me struggle to stand.") There's a viola solo later in the song that I really like, too. Anyway, this is a great song, too.

6. This starts with percussion, synthetic beats, and some "Ah ah ah ahhhs." I love the guitar bit. This is probably the song that sounds most like a rock song I've heard on the tape thus far. This song keeps adding different things for my ears to pick up on, and that's something I really like in music. The vocals remind me of Arcade Fire's Win Butler, particularly in the upper register. I like the "Ah ah ah ahhh" bit around the halfway mark. Towards the end, it sounds like, for lack of a better term, organized chaos. It's cool. Awesome song.

7. This song reminds me very much of Track 3, with the provision that the guitar is louder and the vocals are softer. Really, I can barely hear the guy singing; is it supposed to be that way, or is this a mixing issue of some sort? The guitar part in itself is nice, but it's covering everything else up, which is annoying. Like Track 3, this is a "meh" sort of song. It's not terrible, but I don't really like it that much. It doesn't really go anywhere. Sorry.

8. This is an electronic track. The sounds are nicely layered at the beginning, with some synths entering after the beats set up the tone. This song also keeps adding some new things in the background, and I enjoy picking up on all that stuff. (That's particularly true with the arpeggios.) The vocalist sounds super cute, and his vocals fit the song like a glove. The background singers are rather nice as well. "There's a ghost in the sky, and in all me fields of stars, so follow in the wind and singing all my hymns in the dark." The song has an interesting ending, as it has quite a bit of furiously bowed strings. This was a joy to listen to. Thanks. :D

9. The songs start with synths and percussion, and it has a dream pop thing going on. The song has vocals that are simple, straight, and clean. I enjoy those sort of vocals, so good for you for putting this in here. The song in itself is a pretty simple one, but I don't mind that with this song at all. In fact, while it's a midtempo song, it sounds almost cheerful. I can feel myself smiling as I listen to it. This is just a nice feel-good track.

10. This starts with some electronic beats, and these go on for the entirety of the song. Then, I hear some female vocals. They're quite lovely, and they fit the vibe of the song quite well. "All you can see, all you can tell." It's a simple song, but I enjoyed listening to it. My only caveat was that it stayed in one place the whole time, and it didn't climax in any sort of profound way. I feel like this would've been better if there were some sort of sudden shift into something bigger.

11. The very beginning (meaning the first 10 seconds) reminded me of Sigur Rós. Then, the song shifted into something completely different, which included some really annoying pinging noise. I almost felt like I was being misled as far as the overall tone of the song. The vocals are a bit too whiny for me, so they kinda kill the song for me. What I found more annoying was the poor balance between lead vocals (the whiny male voice) and the female backing vocalist (who honestly sounds better). I don't understand why you'd have a background singer if you're gonna just shriek and sing completely over everything. The music in itself is fine, but the vocals weren't to my liking at all. :\

12. Oh my gosh. Piano. I LOVE PIANO. :heart: I'm such a sucker for it. The piano is more or less the foundation for this song. The vocals are very interesting; they're breathy, yet they're haunting. Surprisingly, they fit nice with the song. I wasn't really expecting that. The song sounds like it's in a foreign language (something like Icelandic, but that's a shot in the dark, so I don't know). Other keyboard instruments (sounds like a vibraphone might be used again) are added later, and they compliment the piano. A little after the halfway more, there's just an explosion of sound, complete with strings. (I love this part SO much. :heart:) After this section, there's some softer noise, which builds as the song goes on, then fades away into oblivion to end it. This is probably the best closing track I've ever had. Thank you so much for this song. It's probably my favorite of the whole thing. :dazzled:

Overall, I find this to be a very solid tape. There were a few things I didn't particularly enjoy, but those that I did I enjoyed immensely. You had a great opener and an ever better closer. You obviously know what you're doing, and you have beautiful taste. You've introduced me to new things while simultaneously accomodating my tastes. I'm usually a pretty easy person to please, but I'm really happy with this tape. Thank you so much for making it for me. I can't wait to find out who you are, and I await your reveal of the artists on this tape. :hug:

For mine, it sounded like a compilation of 90's songs and some more recent stuff. It was very good, and I enjoyed listening to it!

1. It's the instrumental version of Life in Technocolor from Viva! Love this song! :)

2. Great song! This one's a classic!

3. Good beat and rhythm. I honestly have no idea what this song is, but its pretty good!

4. OMG!! One of the BEST OneRepublic songs I've ever heard next to If I Lose Myself!!!!

5. Good rhythm! Kind of sounds U2-ish.

6. What in the world??? Sounds like Katy Perry mixed with Cher and Heart! I don't know how that's possible, but that's what it sounds like!

7. Sounds familiar. I can't tell what it is. It's got a really good guitar rhythm.

8. Interesting rhythm. Sounds like a song that someone is depressed and walking for miles in a movie.

9. It sounds really familiar! I can't tell who it is!

10. Pretty good song! I like the rhythm and the flow of the song!

11. Oh no. Not country! I really hate country! An apology to my partner, but I really don't like country at all!!

12. Pretty good and chill. I like the guitars.

13. A repeat of a previous song.

14. Pretty good. Love the 90's vibe.

15. Its alright. She's a pretty good singer.

16. Interesting song. When the singer sings the lyric "only", he sounds weird. But pretty good, nonetheless.

17. Great outro! The Escapist is a great way to end the mixtape!

Very solid mixtape. It sounds like a 90's compilation, with the exception of the two Coldplay songs and the OneRepublic song. It had some great rhythms, guitars and other good elements. Well done, partner!

Here's the link:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2971356574/YellowTeardrops13.rar

here I'm really bad at reviews this is probably going to be really short

1. hahahahah yes John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare. John Mayer is probably my own guilty pleasure I love this :uhoh:

2. pretty ambient intro. Turned into a boring pop/rock ballad kind of thing though. not my vibe...sorry :(

3. oh my god Kings Of Leon. 2-3 years ago I might have loved this but not anymore IM SO SORRY

4. Another pop/rock ballad! Just reminds me of the radio stations my mum listens to. His voice is making me uncomfortable "I wanna kiss your scars tonight" :wreck:

5. I liked the start of this and how simple it was. I lost interest when the chorus came in though. It's quite nice though, I don't hate it!!

6. sorry but nope The Killers - When We Were Young :disappointed:

7. I wrote a song when I was 11 that sounded a lot like this. weird. pop/rock ballad!! Thank you heaps for giving me music that I've never heard before but this really isn't my kind of thing...

8. Florence and The Machine. I really like the beginning but I'm not a fan of their big, orchestral kind of sound. Ehhhh

9. Is this Keane? I haven't heard them since I was 9-10. This isn't bad, kind of dull though. I like his voice!

10. my brother's name is Jack Johnston

11. I recognise this guy's voice. Curious to see who it is. I actually really like this, but I can't really pinpoint why. It reminds me of The Swell Season. ooh violin :surprised: and some girl is singing now. pretttttyy

12. Nice end to the tape. pop-y indie-y somethingarather. once again not really my thing but whatever it's harmless

OKAY I'm really sorry I didn't like this much but props to you for showing me stuff I'd never heard and having a nice flow to the tape. "Different horses for different courses", I guess (that is a saying, right?). I'm interested to see who some of these songs are but I can't really see me listening to them again afterwards. Thank you!!!