✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange XIV CLOSED! XVI coming soon!!! Very soon!

DiOli05

To my mixtape maker:

I've downloaded your mixtape, and I'm listening to it now. There were a few little surprises with the tape that I wasn't expecting, and I quite like those. (I'll get into that when I write my review.) I don't know when you'll get it, but you'll definitely have it at some point this week. :nice:

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's brilliant. Had a full-blown review ready to post, but Mozilla decided to crash. Excuse me while I go outside and kill the neighbors' cat. :saw:

Awww, poor kitty. :(

Joking aside, I feel your frustration. I'm sure a good chunk of us have had that happen to us at least once. (I know I've done it before.)

Am I going to be first? Oh welp.

More thanks at the end, but before reading you ought to be aware that I thoroughly enjoyed this tape, and I am immensely grateful for all the work that went into it.

1. We are going to be good friends.

Clink, clink, tinkle tinkle: Rembihnutur – Sigur Ros. A song/album/band that I’m all too familiar with, but way to get on my good side by starting off with possibly my favorite band. Somewhat interesting selection, all the same. Enjoying it like the first time.

2. Glitchy tapped rhythm as if transmitting morse code a with shifting 2 note stand-up bass melody. A subdued male voice enters. A minute in, and I’m genuinely fascinated. He walks a tightrope of spoken-word poetry and casual singing. He has a wide range of instruments at his disposal that enter and disappear impatiently, quite attuned to the moods of the verses, most evoking a type of urgent, yet softly announced despair. Can’t say I’ve heard anything quite like this in a while, kind of a hybrid of Destroyer and recent MGMT, and it’s all so sharply arranged. The bridge builds into a crunchy finish with churning drums and a running synth arpeggio as he repeats ‘approaching the shore!’. Ends abruptly. Nice, I’ll definitely be looking into his/their oeuvre.

3. Snappy, slightly 80s guitar rhythm. A chorus of male voices enter. Not unlike some recent indie bands I can’t seem to remember, but the vibe is undeniably retro, particularly the chorus which begins with ‘you don’t have my number! We don’t need each other now!’ to the tune of softly distorted sliding 5ths. Well produced with some interesting backing vocals, but can’t say I don’t feel very distant from this song, it’s weirdly archaic pop sensibility has made it emotionally inaccessible to me. Interesting development, I wonder where I’ll be taken next.

4. Perhaps I haven’t left the 80s, sentimental ballad chords underneath a simple, shimmery rhythm. The voice is appropriate to the piano: soft and sincere, lyrics apropos for the aftermath of a couples fight in a romantic comedy. After the first verse enters an unexpected, warping electronic synth that adds some real color. A lot of attraction is lost at the chorus, which feels like something my parents would dance to. Kind of the same retro-alienation I felt in the last song, though stronger. He has a nice voice, but not something I’d listen to on my own time.

5. First impression: Slowdive? Definite 90s shoegaze vibe, female vocalist. The falsetto takes me completely by surprise though. As far as I’m concerned, this is Slowdive with a soulful voice ripped from another song and convincingly overdubbed. Certainly a weird flavor, like ranch dressing on ice cream. I’ve personally never tried ranch dressing on ice cream, but this song certainly works great. Very nice listen!

6. Distorted guitars and keyboards playing a descending 4 note bass pattern. Just 4 consecutive semi-tones, so it has a really strong James Bond vibe. The male voice is more or less in the same mould. Loud and busy, and most of it, verse and chorus is built around this theme. Short, quite bridge ‘Leave your body behind you’. Solo over the same theme, and it all culminates into a big chorus singing the above words, more soloing. A lot of instrumental work going on, to where it’s just noise to accompany the bass riff. Interestingly, a police car and siren passed by while I was listening to this song, and it blended in beautifully with the outro, which seems to consist of more or less the same sound. Another song I’ll most likely forget, but by no means unpleasant.

7. No way. Right when I’m trying to softly pass through my recent and passionate love affair with ‘Daughter’, you hand me the instrumental ‘Switzerland’. Uncanny. By no means one of their ‘popular’ songs, yet easily their most potent. This track always reminds me of the cheap foot-powered organ I bought from a Salvation Army store and kept in my college apartment last year. Damn. Thanks to you, I’ll never be able to quit her amazing English moaning. :angry:

8. Choppy, bubbly keyboard rhythm. This is embarrassing. This must be Grizzly Bear, probably off of Veckatimest, but I can’t name it. To be fair, it’s been some time since I’ve listened to them, though I always enjoy them immensely. Solid track all around, no complaints. Nicey nicey.

9. Tinkling harp arpeggio. A nice female voice enters, as do other subtle keyboard/percussion complements. This is really delightful. My neck is getting some real exercise. Sharp and warm, I’m looking forward to learning who this is. ‘If the bath is black, and the soap is old. You’re turning the tap but the water is cold…’

10. Starts off with a sharp electronic melody, not unlike the ‘I just can’t wait to be king’ riff. Similarity disappears in the shape of a big, fat, fuzzy bass line that makes me equally fuzzy inside. Somewhat aged sounding male voice enters. I quite enjoy the singer, the dynamics and melody from line to line is enjoyably unpredictable, though still flowing nicely. The bridge for instance is a patient and lengthy bit of melodic moaning, eventually finding Simba again. Great song, much love.

11. Enter: A little bit of casual strumming and sliding on an acoustic guitar. Soft male and female voices enter over a pretty quiet and patiently strummed guitar. Is this The Low Anthem? That’s my hunch and I’m sticking to it. Regardless, I like it. A duet that I do not hate haha, good work. A beautiful rolling melody on guitar and voice holds it all together. Bonus points for the careful interaction between voice and guitar/s. Builds up a little bit, some more voices are present. Solid.

12. Keyboards at the beginning commands my attention like the last act of a play (though we still have a couple tracks to go). Some interesting, rhythmic electric guitars mingle and crunch about. Some youngish, British voices enter. Like a contemporary take on the Beatles. Not complaining. Yeah, when the drums enter, with backing vocals to boot, we’ve gone full-blown Sgt. Pepper. Maybe with some Brit-pop nostalgia thrown in. All very crisp. Nice. Not my favorite track on the mix, but I’m VERY curious what an album of these guys would sound like.

13. A pounding snare under a backdrop of rhythmic horns. Keyboards and bass. Similar progression to the Bond song. Not a fan. After multiple listens, I can’t quite get into it, though there are elements that I can appreciate.

14. Pulsing and twinkling Synth loops, a cautious voice meditating from on a cloud, not un-Chris Martin like. A low bass surreptitiously drives the mood this way and that. I’m with it so far. Keyboards rising now, a strings riff peaks and stops. Attention falls back on the pulsing chime of keyboards, more words, more strings, quite the ascent. Poignant and pleasant ending, no doubt.

So, I never rate/grade mixtapes on principle, but this is easily one of the better ones I've received. It was a real mixture of rythms, instruments, and genres, and the attention to flow didn't go unnoticed. Every time I thought I had you pigeon-holed, these ideas were abruptly dashed by the next track. Most importantly, there are songs/bands here that I am quite eager to find out about (so reveal yourself quickly lest I google them!). Many thanks of course for your punctuality and trouble. Great success! :wacko:

Am I going to be first? Oh welp.

More thanks at the end, but before reading you ought to be aware that I thoroughly enjoyed this tape, and I am immensely grateful for all the work that went into it.

1. We are going to be good friends.

Clink, clink, tinkle tinkle: Rembihnutur – Sigur Ros. A song/album/band that I’m all too familiar with, but way to get on my good side by starting off with possibly my favorite band. Somewhat interesting selection, all the same. Enjoying it like the first time.

2. Glitchy tapped rhythm as if transmitting morse code a with shifting 2 note stand-up bass melody. A subdued male voice enters. A minute in, and I’m genuinely fascinated. He walks a tightrope of spoken-word poetry and casual singing. He has a wide range of instruments at his disposal that enter and disappear impatiently, quite attuned to the moods of the verses, most evoking a type of urgent, yet softly announced despair. Can’t say I’ve heard anything quite like this in a while, kind of a hybrid of Destroyer and recent MGMT, and it’s all so sharply arranged. The bridge builds into a crunchy finish with churning drums and a running synth arpeggio as he repeats ‘approaching the shore!’. Ends abruptly. Nice, I’ll definitely be looking into his/their oeuvre.

3. Snappy, slightly 80s guitar rhythm. A chorus of male voices enter. Not unlike some recent indie bands I can’t seem to remember, but the vibe is undeniably retro, particularly the chorus which begins with ‘you don’t have my number! We don’t need each other now!’ to the tune of softly distorted sliding 5ths. Well produced with some interesting backing vocals, but can’t say I don’t feel very distant from this song, it’s weirdly archaic pop sensibility has made it emotionally inaccessible to me. Interesting development, I wonder where I’ll be taken next.

4. Perhaps I haven’t left the 80s, sentimental ballad chords underneath a simple, shimmery rhythm. The voice is appropriate to the piano: soft and sincere, lyrics apropos for the aftermath of a couples fight in a romantic comedy. After the first verse enters an unexpected, warping electronic synth that adds some real color. A lot of attraction is lost at the chorus, which feels like something my parents would dance to. Kind of the same retro-alienation I felt in the last song, though stronger. He has a nice voice, but not something I’d listen to on my own time.

5. First impression: Slowdive? Definite 90s shoegaze vibe, female vocalist. The falsetto takes me completely by surprise though. As far as I’m concerned, this is Slowdive with a soulful voice ripped from another song and convincingly overdubbed. Certainly a weird flavor, like ranch dressing on ice cream. I’ve personally never tried ranch dressing on ice cream, but this song certainly works great. Very nice listen!

6. Distorted guitars and keyboards playing a descending 4 note bass pattern. Just 4 consecutive semi-tones, so it has a really strong James Bond vibe. The male voice is more or less in the same mould. Loud and busy, and most of it, verse and chorus is built around this theme. Short, quite bridge ‘Leave your body behind you’. Solo over the same theme, and it all culminates into a big chorus singing the above words, more soloing. A lot of instrumental work going on, to where it’s just noise to accompany the bass riff. Interestingly, a police car and siren passed by while I was listening to this song, and it blended in beautifully with the outro, which seems to consist of more or less the same sound. Another song I’ll most likely forget, but by no means unpleasant.

7. No way. Right when I’m trying to softly pass through my recent and passionate love affair with ‘Daughter’, you hand me the instrumental ‘Switzerland’. Uncanny. By no means one of their ‘popular’ songs, yet easily their most potent. This track always reminds me of the cheap foot-powered organ I bought from a Salvation Army store and kept in my college apartment last year. Damn. Thanks to you, I’ll never be able to quit her amazing English moaning. :angry:

8. Choppy, bubbly keyboard rhythm. This is embarrassing. This must be Grizzly Bear, probably off of Veckatimest, but I can’t name it. To be fair, it’s been some time since I’ve listened to them, though I always enjoy them immensely. Solid track all around, no complaints. Nicey nicey.

9. Tinkling harp arpeggio. A nice female voice enters, as do other subtle keyboard/percussion complements. This is really delightful. My neck is getting some real exercise. Sharp and warm, I’m looking forward to learning who this is. ‘If the bath is black, and the soap is old. You’re turning the tap but the water is cold…’

10. Starts off with a sharp electronic melody, not unlike the ‘I just can’t wait to be king’ riff. Similarity disappears in the shape of a big, fat, fuzzy bass line that makes me equally fuzzy inside. Somewhat aged sounding male voice enters. I quite enjoy the singer, the dynamics and melody from line to line is enjoyably unpredictable, though still flowing nicely. The bridge for instance is a patient and lengthy bit of melodic moaning, eventually finding Simba again. Great song, much love.

11. Enter: A little bit of casual strumming and sliding on an acoustic guitar. Soft male and female voices enter over a pretty quiet and patiently strummed guitar. Is this The Low Anthem? That’s my hunch and I’m sticking to it. Regardless, I like it. A duet that I do not hate haha, good work. A beautiful rolling melody on guitar and voice holds it all together. Bonus points for the careful interaction between voice and guitar/s. Builds up a little bit, some more voices are present. Solid.

12. Keyboards at the beginning commands my attention like the last act of a play (though we still have a couple tracks to go). Some interesting, rhythmic electric guitars mingle and crunch about. Some youngish, British voices enter. Like a contemporary take on the Beatles. Not complaining. Yeah, when the drums enter, with backing vocals to boot, we’ve gone full-blown Sgt. Pepper. Maybe with some Brit-pop nostalgia thrown in. All very crisp. Nice. Not my favorite track on the mix, but I’m VERY curious what an album of these guys would sound like.

13. A pounding snare under a backdrop of rhythmic horns. Keyboards and bass. Similar progression to the Bond song. Not a fan. After multiple listens, I can’t quite get into it, though there are elements that I can appreciate.

14. Pulsing and twinkling Synth loops, a cautious voice meditating from on a cloud, not un-Chris Martin like. A low bass surreptitiously drives the mood this way and that. I’m with it so far. Keyboards rising now, a strings riff peaks and stops. Attention falls back on the pulsing chime of keyboards, more words, more strings, quite the ascent. Poignant and pleasant ending, no doubt.

So, I never rate/grade mixtapes on principle, but this is easily one of the better ones I've received. It was a real mixture of rythms, instruments, and genres, and the attention to flow didn't go unnoticed. Every time I thought I had you pigeon-holed, these ideas were abruptly dashed by the next track. Most importantly, there are songs/bands here that I am quite eager to find out about (so reveal yourself quickly lest I google them!). Many thanks of course for your punctuality and trouble. Great success! :wacko:

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the mixtape, it's really made my day!

Great review, I think you're spot on with most of your descriptions of the songs.

Regarding number 8, when I first heard it I thought the synth was very similar to 'Scenic World' by Beirut.

Here's the link and tracklisting:

http://rapidshare.com/files/4130808786/MIXTAPE.zip

1. Rembihnutur - Sigur Ros

2. The Waves - Villagers

3. My Number - Foals

4. House - Kindness

5. Cherry-Coloured Funk - Cocteau Twins

6. Leave Your Body Behind You - Richard Hawley

7. Switzerland - Daughter

8. From Nowhere - Dan Croll

9. Bath Is Black - Marika Hackman

10. Dissolve Me - Alt-J

11. Icarus - The Staves ft. Keaton Henson

12. California Daze - Peace

13. This Is Hardcore - Pulp

14. Escape - Apparat

Didn't we 'review' the reviews? (we = the mixtape makers)

To explain why we chose that song, what we think of the reaction of our partner...

EDIT:

Here's the tracklisting:

2. The Waves - Villagers

3. My Number - Foals

4. House - Kindness

10. Dissolve Me - Alt-J

14. Escape - Apparat

What a cool indie mixtape :) Dan Croll, Peace, Kindness...

Great review, I think you're spot on with most of your descriptions of the songs.

Regarding number 8, when I first heard it I thought the synth was very similar to 'Scenic World' by Beirut.

Here's the link and tracklisting:

http://rapidshare.com/files/4130808786/MIXTAPE.zip

2. The Waves - Villagers

3. My Number - Foals

4. House - Kindness

10. Dissolve Me - Alt-J

14. Escape - Apparat

Oh, nice. A lot of names that have been in my queue to check out for sometime. I probably should've picked out Cocteau twins, and was completely wrong about 8 and 11. My spotify will be busy this afternoon. Thanks again!

Didn't we 'review' the reviews? (we = the mixtape makers)

To explain why we chose that song, what we think of the reaction of our partner...

It's optional, in a brief way he sorta did.

please add me

:dozey:

Oh, nice. A lot of names that have been in my queue to check out for sometime. I probably should've picked out Cocteau twins, and was completely wrong about 8 and 11. My spotify will be busy this afternoon. Thanks again!

:dozey:

I've only got into Cocteau Twins recently, mainly because of the resurrection of My Bloody Valentine, but yeah, the melody on the chorus stood out for me.