✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate Atlas - and post your review

busybeeburns

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, really like this. Hope this is showing off their current sound and direction, it sounds really great. Like many have said there's a real sound of previous albums (X&Y and Viva especially with arangment) but still having some of the production elements of MX and even tones of AROBTTH. Feels comparable and more on the level of a B-side track, rather than an album or single track though, if that makes sense? But that's by no means a bad thing. (Moving to Mars for example).

If Atlas has a good reaction and reception/reviews, I hope they feel confident and maybe decide to release info/plans of LP6..

8/10 for me I think. Really pleased!

Coldplay: Atlas

I will start with a rather bold statement: in my opinion from 2:30 onward is as good as anything this band has ever done. I agree with others who have said that on first listen the verses may seem a little lacking (although I do find the vocal phrasing interesting in the way that Chris puts the emphasis on the verbs in the middle of the line as opposed to the nouns at the end- the last word of each line is very sudden, almost sharp in contrast to the rest of the delivery) but the piano throughout the verses and that killer chorus are enough to pull it off in a big way. Extra points for even more fantastic guitar work from Jonny in the song‘s final moments. Attention rest of world: can this man please start getting the recognition he deserves!

This does sound like the perfect soundtrack song and in that capacity it works brilliantly. While listening to it I caught myself thinking how great the carry your world part would be in romantic or dramatic movies and had to remind myself that it was made for a movie. More importantly though I also feel that this song will stand alongside the rest of the band's catalogue very well and will not be remembered as just that song that was on that one soundtrack - the way a lesser effort might have been. This is definitely not a reworked studio leftover or a throwaway track by a band looking to cash in - this is the new Coldplay single that just happens to be off of a soundtrack.

As with everything they do - they went for it. You know that they were thinking that if they were going to make a soundtrack song then why not try to make the best soundtrack song of all time. Did they succeed? Perhaps not but they did manage to produce one hell of a Coldplay song. Plus can you imagine hearing this closing out a concert a year from now with thousands of fans singing I’ll carry your world in unison. Watch out Fix You chorus - you just might have some competition.

With such a diverse mix of all the elements the band has given us before hardcore fans should love it and if the general public just gives it to that epic chorus we might have another hit on our hands. Being a part of a huge movie franchise won’t hurt but I still can’t help but think that this song is good enough not to have to depend on that association alone. To my ears this is the sound of a band not only claiming new fans but maybe even reclaiming some old ones who may have slipped away. If this is any indication of where they are at going into the next album I think we are all in for a real treat.

Some bands would be lucky to get on a high profile release like the Hunger Games Soundtrack. In this case The Hunger Games Soundtrack is lucky to get a high profile band like Coldplay… and boy did they deliver.

8/10

Damn! Stop acting like critics and assume that you got goosebumps!!!

Let's enjoy it, can't you see that it could mean the start of a new era?

Anyways, my vote is 10! At the first time I didn't feel comfortable listening it, but now, playing for the 20th time, I'm addicted. :laugh3:

Only two questions, this song will be a single? You know, with music video?

And if this will be on their next LP6?

Thanks!!!

Damn! Stop acting like critics and assume that you got goosebumps!!!

Let's enjoy it, can't you see that it could mean the start of a new era?

Anyways, my vote is 10! At the first time I didn't feel comfortable listening it, but now, playing for the 20th time, I'm addicted. :laugh3:

Only two questions, this song will be a single? You know, with music video?

And if this will be on their next LP6?

Thanks!!!

From Coldplay.com (about the new single Atlas): new Coldplay song, Atlas, will feature on the official soundtrack for the forthcoming film, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

22 AUG UPDATE: Atlas will now be available via iTunes and all digital retailers on Sunday, 8 September, 2013 in the UK and Friday, 6 September, 2013 everywhere else (we had to move it back a bit from the original 26 August date - sorry for the hold-up). The film is due for release on 22 November, 2013.

I hope that it will have its own music video.

And being used in the movie, it will most likely NOT appear on their next album. I will be surprised if it does. But I would welcome songs of this kind on lP6.

I don't think its an amazingly strong song, in that it isn't a 10/10 or 9/10 like others have said, I'll probably put it 8/10, though atm I'm on a bige of listing to it, so I'm probably just not used to it yet.

I do like the tunes and stuff, but I'm more liking the build up and end then the start. I just think the start is just to ambient for something, iddno lol!

Coldplay: Atlas

I will start with a rather bold statement: in my opinion from 2:30 onward is as good as anything this band has ever done. I agree with others who have said that on first listen the verses may seem a little lacking (although I do find the vocal phrasing interesting in the way that Chris puts the emphasis on the verbs in the middle of the line as opposed to the nouns at the end- the last word of each line is very sudden, almost sharp in contrast to the rest of the delivery) but the piano throughout the verses and that killer chorus are enough to pull it off in a big way. Extra points for even more fantastic guitar work from Jonny in the song‘s final moments. Attention rest of world: can this man please start getting the recognition he deserves!

This does sound like the perfect soundtrack song and in that capacity it works brilliantly. While listening to it I caught myself thinking how great the carry your world part would be in romantic or dramatic movies and had to remind myself that it was made for a movie. More importantly though I also feel that this song will stand alongside the rest of the band's catalogue very well and will not be remembered as just that song that was on that one soundtrack - the way a lesser effort might have been. This is definitely not a reworked studio leftover or a throwaway track by a band looking to cash in - this is the new Coldplay single that just happens to be off of a soundtrack.

As with everything they do - they went for it. You know that they were thinking that if they were going to make a soundtrack song then why not try to make the best soundtrack song of all time. Did they succeed? Perhaps not but they did manage to produce one hell of a Coldplay song. Plus can you imagine hearing this closing out a concert a year from now with thousands of fans singing I’ll carry your world in unison. Watch out Fix You chorus - you just might have some competition.

With such a diverse mix of all the elements the band has given us before hardcore fans should love it and if the general public just gives it to that epic chorus we might have another hit on our hands. Being a part of a huge movie franchise won’t hurt but I still can’t help but think that this song is good enough not to have to depend on that association alone. To my ears this is the sound of a band not only claiming new fans but maybe even reclaiming some old ones who may have slipped away. If this is any indication of where they are at going into the next album I think we are all in for a real treat.

Some bands would be lucky to get on a high profile release like the Hunger Games Soundtrack. In this case The Hunger Games Soundtrack is lucky to get a high profile band like Coldplay… and boy did they deliver.

8/10

GREAT review!

I love it but I agree with those who said that the lyrics are uninspired. However, I think it showcases what the band does best -- they make simplistic sound epic. The melody is pure & simple, while the background layers build and add texture, without becoming overpowering. And Johnny shines from 3:10-3:36.

I'd love this to be a glimpse into #6, but I don't want to get my hopes up. This was written for a specific purpose and I bet they were given direction as to the mood of the song. The movie is the focus and the song had to compliment it.

Also, Chris's vocals are great. His voice is strong where it needs to be and restrained where it needs to be, It's clear, emotive and his phrasing is perfect. Good job, boys! Bring on #6.

9/10

The harmony and solo at the end reminds me of Ordinary World by Duran Duran.

Still love the track.

Yes! That's what it was reminding me of!! Thank you.

The track is good. I'll be eager to listen to a better quality version.

My favorite part is when Jonny's guitar comes in near the end - it's just lovely.

Rating: 8/10

i loved the melody, i like the lyrics (people complaining about the lyrics... many of mx's lyrics were less profund than this one, it's an ok lyric) i like the feel, though i was expecting something more guitarish, more... played and less produced but this... this sounds great. what i didn't like was chris voice, it sound rusty, he cuts it early sometimes and somewhere in the beginning he's really close to being off key. but still, it makes me funny inside thinking about how the next album will sound like... i like the radiohead vibe, (just more positive... more coldplay :P ) it's accurate to compare this one with moving to mars and it was a great freaking song so yeah! jonny rocks in this one... man do you guys feel that this song is perfect to be lying down in a park at night with someone and just looking at the moon? i love songs like that... rating: 8/10

It reminds me of the Rush of Blood era (or a mixture between that and X&Y)... it definitely sounds like old Coldplay and that's cool. However, from a songwriting perspective I think it could've been better. It's "pretty" and "mellow" but it doesn't have that epic flair to it that most great Coldplay tracks have in them. The lyrics aren't bad, but they are short and simple, they could have been smarter but there's nothing really wrong with them per se. It's strongest assets right now I think, are that it's new and sounds like old Coldplay. But I wouldn't say, at this time anyway, that I think it's amazing by any stretch of the imagination. It's just... alright. I definitely like the chorus. Just feel like it never quite reaches where it COULD go. Feels slightly underdeveloped.

8/10

Also, I highly doubt the sound of this track is indicative of LP6. I think it's, it's own thing.

I don't get why people say it sounds like old Coldplay. If anything, it sounds like new Coldplay. It has the classic sound, buildup and finale of an MX-era song. And those are definitely electric drums near the end. Let's say that's the part I like least. But for the rest, it's a good song. Not fantastic but good. If this were still the MX era, it would be among their best songs of that era.

In my opinion is absolutely beautiful, i mean, isn't the perfect song that i would like to hear from the band but is the bass line it looks like a little bit Paradise's, the drum beats are soft, i like them. Jon's solo is amazing, i like the old Coldplay songs with more Jonny's solos haha but, anyway i love this one. Chris voice and piano are wonderful.

Plus can you imagine hearing this closing out a concert a year from now with thousands of fans singing I’ll carry your world in unison. Watch out Fix You chorus - you just might have some competition.

I do hope Atlas becomes a regular on the setlist. It would be a shame if they don't play it, because what you said.

not only claiming new fans but maybe even reclaiming some old ones who may have slipped away[/size][/color]. If this is any indication of where they are at going into the next album I think we are all in for a real treat.

^ Very true. :nod: