✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Magic

thetelephoneline

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>You can listen to Magic, the first single from Ghost Stories, on <a href="https://twitter.com/Spotify">@Spotify</a> at <a href="http://t.co/ufFt9IENbk">http://t.co/ufFt9IENbk</a> A</p>— Coldplay (@coldplay) <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplay/statuses/440816402770186240">March 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For every person who listens to a song there is a unique opinion of it, so I realize I'm just one in a million here, but I have some real gripes with this song.

I love how Coldplay so drastically changes things up with each album, but it was always unique. Now I'm starting to feel like they've made a full transition right into generic pop, which started with Paradise. The way Chris clips the words "you" and "true" in the beginning of the song makes me cringe, and that techno drum line that's reminiscent to Up In Flames is just hard for me to bear. It isn't until 2:33 that I finally feel like it's good ol' Coldplay, which is when Chris goes high and the guitars start to ring in shortly after. Before that, I have to listen to Chris say "and I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't" several times, which really kills me. Even though Coldplay has frequently had some very simple lyrics before, they were always unique and still very catchy, but "I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't" just doesn't cut it for me. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but these guys are my favorites. When their album comes out I drop all else and listen for months. This is what I've been waiting for. I love their look, I love the title "Ghost Stories" a lot, and I'm enjoying their overall theme here, but Magic isn't in any way magical to me at all. I must say, I'm very disappointed so far.

QFT.

Agree completely. I like Midnight quite a bit, but this song does nothing for me at all, and has me a bit worried, but we'll see. The lyrics and how he sings it as said just does nothing for me. Getting nervous.

QFT.

Agree completely. I like Midnight quite a bit, but this song does nothing for me at all, and has me a bit worried, but we'll see. The lyrics and how he sings it as said just does nothing for me. Getting nervous.

I'm glad someone else can relate. I remember when ETIAW hit the radio. The first time I ever heard it I was driving into work, and immediately I felt like the song lacked depth. Catchy riffs, but the name was stupid, and the song was all over the place. At that moment I really was afraid of what Mylo Xyloto would be. Once I heard more, I liked it, and I came to even enjoy ETIAW more, but we seem to be doing about the same thing this go around, except I dislike Magic much more than I ever did ETIAW.

I'm hoping that Magic becomes the most unColdplay song on the album that regular radio listeners can enjoy, while I sit over here listening to the rest of the album that's much more of the Coldplay that I like to hear.

I'm glad someone else can relate. I remember when ETIAW hit the radio. The first time I ever heard it I was driving into work, and immediately I felt like the song lacked depth. Catchy riffs, but the name was stupid, and the song was all over the place. At that moment I really was afraid of what Mylo Xyloto would be. Once I heard more, I liked it, and I came to even enjoy ETIAW more, but we seem to be doing about the same thing this go around, except I dislike Magic much more than I ever did ETIAW.

I'm hoping that Magic becomes the most unColdplay song on the album that regular radio listeners can enjoy, while I sit over here listening to the rest of the album that's much more of the Coldplay that I like to hear.

I can totally understand your point of view, the first half is not what I like most about Coldplay, but I still like it. Wickett said it right earlier in this thread, the song becomes a "typically" Coldplay song around 2:33, which reminds me of the best sounds of Coldplay. It really sounds amazing and it still shows they are able to give us their "old" sound. So yeah it is kind of a good mix.

For every person who listens to a song there is a unique opinion of it, so I realize I'm just one in a million here, but I have some real gripes with this song.

I love how Coldplay so drastically changes things up with each album, but it was always unique. Now I'm starting to feel like they've made a full transition right into generic pop, which started with Paradise. The way Chris clips the words "you" and "true" in the beginning of the song makes me cringe, and that techno drum line that's reminiscent to Up In Flames is just hard for me to bear. It isn't until 2:33 that I finally feel like it's good ol' Coldplay, which is when Chris goes high and the guitars start to ring in shortly after. Before that, I have to listen to Chris say "and I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't" several times, which really kills me. Even though Coldplay has frequently had some very simple lyrics before, they were always unique and still very catchy, but "I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't" just doesn't cut it for me. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but these guys are my favorites. When their album comes out I drop all else and listen for months. This is what I've been waiting for. I love their look, I love the title "Ghost Stories" a lot, and I'm enjoying their overall theme here, but Magic isn't in any way magical to me at all. I must say, I'm very disappointed so far.

And there I thought I was the only one not comfortable with the sound of the drums. I also was reminded of Up in Flames but whereas they fit there, they somehow bother me in Magic. I still like the song, especially in the second half as most of us seem to do ;).

I am fine with the "I don't knows" but not keen on the way Chris is drawing out "ma-a-a-gic" starting at about 3'05. But I love the guitar-riff building up around there (Jonny! :guitarist::pleased:)

but not keen on the way Chris is drawing out "ma-a-a-gic" starting at about 3'05.

That part man, that part :sick:

Chris sounds like a sheep! Which is highly questionable concerning the effect of sheep on certain band members <__<

I can totally understand your point of view, the first half is not what I like most about Coldplay, but I still like it. Wickett said it right earlier in this thread, the song becomes a "typically" Coldplay song around 2:33, which reminds me of the best sounds of Coldplay. It really sounds amazing and it still shows they are able to give us their "old" sound. So yeah it is kind of a good mix.

It's true that 2:33 and on gives me some hope, but even as much as I've listened to it and wanted to like it, I'm not digging it very much. That beat boxing drum beat just kills any seriousness to the song and makes it more of a joke to my ears. It's just something my mind can't get past. Jonny is the best part of that song by far. I mean, absolutely hands down. If it weren't for his guitar, it would easily be my least favorite Coldplay song ever.

And there I thought I was the only one not comfortable with the sound of the drums. I also was reminded of Up in Flames but whereas they fit there, they somehow bother me in Magic. I still like the song, especially in the second half as most of us seem to do ;).

I am fine with the "I don't knows" but not keen on the way Chris is drawing out "ma-a-a-gic" starting at about 3'05. But I love the guitar-riff building up around there (Jonny! :guitarist::pleased:)

I'm a little baffled honestly. To me, Up In Flames was one of the weakest elements in MX, so as soon as Magic started up I was like "Oh man, really??" The "I don't know I don't know" part is irritating to me because it reminds me of 100+ pop songs. Chris singing like that messes with my head, because they've always been above little quirks like that. Him drawing out "magic" the way he does doesn't bother me as much, but I would agree that it's certainly odd and I think falls right in line with what I mean about the "I don't know".

5 March 2014 / submitted by Feike, Netherlands

Q. I'm glad to hear that the new album will be out in May. I can't wait to hear it.

But I do have a question about the songs that have been released so far form the album. Is Magic the first official song of the new album or is it Midnight? And will there be an official video for Magic?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Midnight is the first official song from Ghost Stories but available via video only and Magic is the first official single. There will be a video so keep your eyes out for that.

I really do wish they had used regular Drums, but I still prefer this Sound to UIF. At least Chris can actually SING Magic.;)

LOL, so true.

That part man, that part :sick:

Chris sounds like a sheep! Which is highly questionable concerning the effect of sheep on certain band members <__<

:lol: brilliant!

I'm a little baffled honestly. To me, Up In Flames was one of the weakest elements in MX, so as soon as Magic started up I was like "Oh man, really??"

My reaction exactly :nod:

Magic or Midnight was recorded in Chris's living room?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/nicolascotton">@nicolascotton</a> Happy accident, recorded in the living room of his house</p>— Rik Simpson (@Rikademus) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rikademus/statuses/441111266816720896">March 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

Magic or Midnight was recorded in Chris's living room?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/nicolascotton">@nicolascotton</a> Happy accident, recorded in the living room of his house</p>— Rik Simpson (@Rikademus) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rikademus/statuses/441111266816720896">March 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

5 March 2014 / submitted by Feike, Netherlands[/color]

Q. I'm glad to hear that the new album will be out in May. I can't wait to hear it.

But I do have a question about the songs that have been released so far form the album. Is Magic the first official song of the new album or is it Midnight? And will there be an official video for Magic?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Midnight is the first official song from Ghost Stories but available via video only and Magic is the first official single. There will be a video so keep your eyes out for that.

This is kind of disappointing to me right now. I really wish I could purchase Midnight.