✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What should the two Coldplay Album Trilogies be called?

Aby_coldheart104

The First Trilogy:

tumblr_n1y7t1npzL1szyfd8o1_1280.jpg

The Second Trilogy:

tumblr_n1y7t1npzL1szyfd8o2_1280.jpg

I always wondered what the two trilogies should be called because there's something that intrigued me.

I always noticed a recurring theme and style, in their albums and single covers.

Parachutes: Pictures of Earth (The Globe) and natures (Shiver being trees branches, Trouble being water, Don't Panic and Yellow being flowers)

AROBTTH: The 3D Scanned Heads

X&Y: Colorful Baulot Codes

It got me thinking to call the second trilogy "The Art Trilogy" as art was a recurring theme here.

VLVODAAHF: Paintings

Mylo Xyloto: Graffiti

Ghost Stories: Complex Etchings

I don't know what to call the first trilogy though, but I know there's something I missed.

So, I want to know that you guys think the two trilogies should be called? I'm interested on your opinions on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Viva, Mylo and Ghost is all about art and paintings if you look at the covers. :) Para, Rush and X&Y i have no idea... :thinking: the good music era maybe? cause most of their best songs are from those first three albums IN MY OPINION :p

17 March 2014 / submitted by RevolutionDude, United States of America

Q. Dear Oracle,

If you could give a title to each of the two trilogies of Coldplay albums, what would you call them?

(Trilogy 1: Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y

Trilogy 2: VLV, MX, Ghost Stories)

It seems like the second trilogy has a lot to do with art, but I'm not sure about the first.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

After X&Y was completed, Chris did tell me he felt the first three albums were a trilogy but as far as I am aware, there has been no mention of Viva, MX, Ghost Stories being another three-part body of work.

I have never considered giving one title to the first three albums. I personally felt their themes were less related than their journey. They do seem to tell a story of perhaps growing up and finding one's place in the world but that's just off the top of my head.

17 March 2014 / submitted by RevolutionDude, United States of America[/color]

Q. Dear Oracle,

If you could give a title to each of the two trilogies of Coldplay albums, what would you call them?

(Trilogy 1: Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y

Trilogy 2: VLV, MX, Ghost Stories)

It seems like the second trilogy has a lot to do with art, but I'm not sure about the first.

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

After X&Y was completed, Chris did tell me he felt the first three albums were a trilogy but as far as I am aware, there has been no mention of Viva, MX, Ghost Stories being another three-part body of work.

I have never considered giving one title to the first three albums. I personally felt their themes were less related than their journey. They do seem to tell a story of perhaps growing up and finding one's place in the world but that's just off the top of my head.

Haha after I saw this thread, I thought it would be a good question to ask the Oracle :P Who knew she'd respond so quickly! yay! (still didn't give us much, though..)

Parachutes: The album of the tales.

A Rush of Blood to the Head: The album of the feelings(soul).

X&Y: The album of the thoughts(mind).

The trilogy of the unexplainable.

or

The trilogy of the soul and mind.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends: The album of the death.

Mylo Xyloto: The album of the chaos.

Ghost stories: The album of the transcendence.*

The trilogy of the uncontrollable.

or

The trilogy of the forbidden forces.

Explanation:

The first trilogy: I've always looked at those 3 albuns like "Tales", "Feelings" and "Thoughts". They look like an attempt of explaining the human being, it's beauties and it's failings, it's goods and it's bads. But in the end all of that effort seems to lead to the conclusion that our minds and hearts cannot be explained.

The second trilogy: Although the three have different themes they all talk about things we cannot control. Viva goes through an attempt of escaping death but after being a prisoner and ruling the world, the lyrical me ends up fighting it, showing that no one can escape death.

Mylo Xyloto tells us a history of a life changing through love and all the chaos it causes inside and outside us, but when it's over, everything is okay because it's love.

Ghost Stories seems* to show us the transcendence of the human feelings and thoughts, trying to reach someone unreachable, because of distance or passing away. It seems* to fly from the extension of the love feeling, when we feel we can run all over the world to the introspection of the fear of being alone or left behind, when leaving a light on is the only thing that can make you remember you're still alive. Basically it's the discovery that we are more than skin and bones.

*=Of course it's not released yet but I'd go for that.

1 The trilogy with a picture in the front and one color in the background.

2 The trilogy with a lot of colors, except Ghost stories which only has gray and blue.

The names are a bit long, but that's what we should call them.

How about:

Trilogy 1: PAX - (Parachutes, A Rush of Blood, X&Y)

Trilogy 2: VMG - (Viva, Mylo, Ghost Stories)

Or...

Trilogy 1: The Essence Trilogy (or Being Trilogy) - (Parachutes=Hope & Living, A Rush of Blood=Existence, X&Y=Logic & Understanding)

Trilogy 2: The Historic/Art Trilogy - (Viva=Revolution, Mylo=Rebellion, GS=Well...stories? Idk..)

Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y: The Classic Trilogy

VLVODAAHF, Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories: The Modern Trilogy

Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y are considered the "classics" so maybe the "Classical Trilogy"

I like the idea of the "Art Trilogy", but I'm thinking maybe the "Experimental Trilogy" because the band really experimented with new sounds for these three albums.

I actually like the idea of the "Classical Trilogy" for the first one. And those are very nice suggestions for the second.

I think we should call them:thinking:

The first trilogy; and

The second trilogy

#funatparties

b8f.jpg

That's some party you went...

Parachutes: The album of the tales.

A Rush of Blood to the Head: The album of the feelings(soul).

X&Y: The album of the thoughts(mind).

The trilogy of the unexplainable.

or

The trilogy of the soul and mind.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends: The album of the death.

Mylo Xyloto: The album of the chaos.

Ghost stories: The album of the transcendence.*

The trilogy of the uncontrollable.

or

The trilogy of the forbidden forces.

Explanation:

The first trilogy: I've always looked at those 3 albuns like "Tales", "Feelings" and "Thoughts". They look like an attempt of explaining the human being, it's beauties and it's failings, it's goods and it's bads. But in the end all of that effort seems to lead to the conclusion that our minds and hearts cannot be explained.

The second trilogy: Although the three have different themes they all talk about things we cannot control. Viva goes through an attempt of escaping death but after being a prisoner and ruling the world, the lyrical me ends up fighting it, showing that no one can escape death.

Mylo Xyloto tells us a history of a life changing through love and all the chaos it causes inside and outside us, but when it's over, everything is okay because it's love.

Ghost Stories seems* to show us the transcendence of the human feelings and thoughts, trying to reach someone unreachable, because of distance or passing away. It seems* to fly from the extension of the love feeling, when we feel we can run all over the world to the introspection of the fear of being alone or left behind, when leaving a light on is the only thing that can make you remember you're still alive. Basically it's the discovery that we are more than skin and bones.

*=Of course it's not released yet but I'd go for that.

I really like the the analysis of the names. Sounds deep.

How about:

Trilogy 1: PAX - (Parachutes, A Rush of Blood, X&Y)

Trilogy 2: VMG - (Viva, Mylo, Ghost Stories)

Or...

Trilogy 1: The Essence Trilogy (or Being Trilogy) - (Parachutes=Hope & Living, A Rush of Blood=Existence, X&Y=Logic & Understanding)

Trilogy 2: The Historic/Art Trilogy - (Viva=Revolution, Mylo=Rebellion, GS=Well...stories? Idk..)

I also like this one too.

Haha after I saw this thread, I thought it would be a good question to ask the Oracle :P Who knew she'd respond so quickly! yay! (still didn't give us much, though..)

I know right. Darn she's good.

I think it's hard to say for the second three, especially since Ghost Stories could still be unfinished for all we know and we haven't even heard half of the album.

I was looking through the lyrics of Parachutes, ARoBttH and X&Y And I think "The Tides Trilogy" fits best personally. To start with, it's concise and simple yet beckoning and beautiful, "Tides" is a lot like many of the shorter titles of songs from Parachutes and A Rush, far removed from the more long-winded and expressive song titles of the Viva and MX eras.

On top of that, many of the songs from these albums directly reference tides in one form or another. "Tides that I tried to swim against" in Clocks, "A sea of faces, tide of the human races" in White Shadows, "You and me are floating on a tide together" in X&Y are three examples, with "Clocks" entailing the struggle of adversity and "White Shadows" exhibiting an incredible amount of depth

To some extent Coldplay has often evoked things water-esque during this period of their music "Bones sinking like stones" in Don't Panic, "Spies came out of the water" in Spies, "You are the sea upon which I float" in Green Eyes, "The parting of the sea" in Low, much of "Swallowed in the Sea" and "The river will run" in Twisted Logic. Even on b-sides during the era, "Poor me, floating out to sea" in "Pour Me" and "Calling out from beneath the waves, beaten down by this ocean rain" on Crests of Waves." Of course Coldplay's songs are hardly just about water, and that's what so great about the word "tides"- it can be taken in so many different directions.

The tides of love and fortune both loom large during this era, often shifting from good to bad and vice versa almost at will. From "I wake to see that no one is free, we are all fugitives- look at the way we live" and "A spider's web is tangled up with me and I lost my head and thought of all the stupid things I said" to "we live in a beautiful world", "everybody here's got somebody to lean on" and "everything's not lost" Parachutes illustrates this well. On the first album alone the extremes of fortune are pretty well contrasted and just like in real life, the tides of luck influence much of our lives- often more than we realize.

On A Rush of Blood to the Head, success with love sees a range from heartbroken lows of "nobody said it was easy, none one ever said it would be this hard" and "You came back to haunt me", "I should not have let you go" to comfort and satisfaction in "I came here with a load and it feels so much lighter since I met you" and "You're the one that I wanted to find." It's true that the tides of love for Coldplay lyrically are more often full of melancholy than joy but the ebbs and flows of both are endearing, compelling and touching throughout these three awesome albums.

The tides of friendship within the band also loom large in my mind when considering the first three albums. They're one of the only bands I listen to to comprise of the same members for their entirety (at least thus far) but it wasn't always so easy. Like early on in the Parachutes era when Chris kicked Will in the band after he'd had alcohol the one night. What about the struggle to capitalize on such a great first album spending months in "a strange period of not knowing what they were doing" before "In My Place" came along? Perhaps the most concerning time of all was the band bending under the immense stress of the X&Y recording sessions, nearly breaking up, feeling miserable and recording "three albums" worth of material before the band was satisfied. My point is, the guys stood the test of a copious amount of stress on their relationships, both as friends and as bandmates but through it all they weathered the tides. From a band that once was on the verge of splitting pulled through, to make a whole three more albums after X&Y and who knows how many more to come!

Let us not forget too the distinct sound each album brought with it, the tides of music or tides of atmosphere if you will. With Parachutes, Johnny's shimmering guitar and Will's energetic percussion stood out, juxtaposed with the somber and troubling lyrics of Chris. On A Rush of Blood to the Head, pianos and acoustic guitars stood out much more, oozing understated beauty and depth amid Chris's well-crafted and heartfelt tunes. X&Y didn't disappoint either, ushering in a new spacey, atmospheric sound flooded with 70's prog-rock synthesizers and a surge of the bass presence on songs like "Low" and "White Shadows", leaving us with another distinctly different era of music that was still undoubtedly Coldplay.

Whether its the tides physically as well as metaphorically present in several songs throughout these lyrics as well as many water-related references, the tides of adversity and fortune weaved throughout each album, no less the tides of heartbreak and love, the tides of friendship weathered by four incredible guys pushed to the limits but too strong to be torn apart or the three tides of music that swept in with each new tide a new but no less thrilling and enjoyable sound, for each of these compelling reasons, the first trilogy of Coldplay albums deserves to be deemed "The Tides Trilogy." :)