🏆 VOTE COLDPLAY AT THE MTV EMA'S 🏆
Tash

Another's Arms

Also one of my favourites after hearing the album once. I liked the live version but love the grittiness of the studio version and the distorted effect on Chris' voice. Also, his low register is amazing. Like Always in my Head, the album version seems much more interesting while usually I prefer their live versions.

I like that they're experimenting with sounds that make you go 'huh?' for a moment, like the woman's voice and bass thing on this song, the radar sound on Oceans, the guitar solo in True Love, the voice effect in Midnight.

I love the live Version. It is so amazing. But what happened to the studio Version?!? Not good... .

yes!! that "opera" intro was irritating me for a couple of minutes, but then i remembered where it was "stolen" from; Heather Nova's Island;

[video=youtube;rCEI0JxPOtQ]

Uncanny. :lol: I do wonder where the sample is from / who sang though.

I've heard it a few times now, I really liked the live version and especially Jonny's guitar parts. One of my favourites from the new songs. studio version for me is a little uneven; the last chorus onwards until the end is just perfect, everything is mixed so well and it has real impact. But (personally) I think the piano and especially the guitar is drenched in a little too much reverb before that point, and particularly during the bridge before that last chorus. That guitar solo during the live performance is emphasized and manages to be atmospheric while still being clear and crisp... but I feel on the studio version it lost a lot of it's impact because it's pushed way too far back in the mix, and ends up sounding too distant. Almost sounds like they removed the original guitar track and left only the reverb behind (100% wet, 0% dry for the music producers out there!). That's really my main gripe with it. Other than that I really like how dark and electronic it sounds, and I like some of the effects on Chris' voice. Especially liked how he sung the "is there someone there to find me" line, much more moody than the live versions.

Actually this reminds me a lot of when Radiohead were debuting songs from 'In Rainbows' live - everything sounded lively and well mixed, with plenty of emotional impact. And then when they dropped the album itself, a lot of the songs ended up sounding much more conservative, almost muted compared to the live versions. That's basically what I feel has happened here, but to a lesser extent.

Overall it's a very good track, but I do prefer the emphasis of the guitar and the piano in the live versions, does it more justice I feel!

Absolutely agree with this post. The guitar just doesn't pierce during the solo. It seems like the piano just kinda disappears behind the synths and what sounds like a second electric guitar track. :(

ugh! hated it! i hate when the live versions make the songs sound better. i was equally as disappointed by the studio version of major minus. the most subtle things make the biggest differences

Also one of my favourites after hearing the album once. I liked the live version but love the grittiness of the studio version and the distorted effect on Chris' voice. Also, his low register is amazing. Like Always in my Head, the album version seems much more interesting while usually I prefer their live versions.

I like that they're experimenting with sounds that make you go 'huh?' for a moment, like the woman's voice and bass thing on this song, the radar sound on Oceans, the guitar solo in True Love, the voice effect in Midnight.

Well said!

The official Ghost Stories album booklet says "Another's Arms incorporates a vocal sample from Silver Chord by Jane Weaver".

[video=youtube;g_rg71CySxU]

Andi;5660946']I love the live Version. It is so amazing. But what happened to the studio Version?!? Not good... .

Studio version matches the dark tone of the album. After Midnight until ASFOS, Chris wanna express his heartbroken feelings so he didn't wanna make it too much of a mainstream voice, he sang with gritty voice instead (have a listen to Oceans, the same kind of voice). And the 'vanishing' piano/guitar I would say he had purpose on it in which he tried to fix the relationship but the method he chose doesn't work.

And this is why I love Ghost Stories. Every elements of song had its purpose and it fits perfectly.

I get the theme to Ghost Stories in this song and Apple sounds good in a angelic haunting way..if its her.. And I can relate to this song really sweet love the gory tones to it

The official Ghost Stories album booklet says "Another's Arms incorporates a vocal sample from Silver Chord by Jane Weaver".

[video=youtube;g_rg71CySxU]

Yes but i can't hear the part from Another's Arms....

Yes but i can't hear the part from Another's Arms....

That's because you sample one note (or, I think, two notes in this case) and you play them via the sampler like a musical instrument. Observe how in the beginning of the riff in another's arms the voice of the lady is a little off. That's cause it was transposed in the sampler.

This here is not for Coldplay, but you'll get the idea.

[video=youtube;p233FWxFuRM]

I actually really like this. Love the woman singing and Chris' lower register. Haven't quite decided how I feel about the effects, the kind of radar thing but I think that's because I'm so unused to Coldplay adding in 'weird' things :laugh3: Oooh and the guitar at the end is excellent!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this song was the supposed highlights of all GS tracks after I've watched the live NBC. Brilliant, just brilliant. I came back with love for Another's Arms, I think it is the best song they ever pulled of GS.

i dont hate it anymore. its different but its still good in its own way. i just got to tune the live version out lol

Reminds me about my mother, who passer away a year ago.

love this, wasn't so keen on the album when I first listened to it, this was the only song I instantly liked. Its the woman's voice and chris lower register, it got me straight away, one of those songs that gets you, well it got me anyway!!!

The first time I listened to the song, I guess it became one of my least favorite song on GS. I mean I like it but not as much as I like AFSOS, Magic and AIMH a lot more. Everyone has different taste of music so I know that many ppl love this song too :)

I love and hate this song.

Mmmmmmm

I love and hate this song.

Mmmmmmm

MMMMHHH

MMMMHHH

I mean the lyrics is somewhat naked.

Like you're body on my body.

that's naked to my knowledge :P

I mean the lyrics is somewhat naked.

Like you're body on my body.

that's naked to my knowledge :P

I don't know. Who's watching TV naked? Then again, ‘late night watching TV’ so there could be that sort of TV programme on. :)

I don't know. Who's watching TV naked? Then again, ‘late night watching TV’ so there could be that sort of TV programme on. :)

Hahah is this leading to the wrong direction? :lol:

Hahah is this leading to the wrong direction? :lol:

Maybe it is :) Anyway, I think Chris was thinking about a couple who watch TV together, cuddled up on a peaceful night rather than doing something racy :)

Maybe it is :) Anyway, I think Chris was thinking about a couple who watch TV together, cuddled up on a peaceful night rather than doing something racy :)

Yeah thats what I thought too, I think he defines 'youre body on my body' thing meaning that two people are good for each other :) but at some point if you are thinking way too far, that can be about something dirty really :P