✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Another's Arms

Tash

I'm actually pretty butthurt that people don't like this song for some reason! It's my favourite and I really can relate to the lyrics. I don't think Chris' lyric writing has changed, if anything it's gotten better. You just need to think about what he was probably (obviously) going through at the time while writing this album.....I think he's right that he uses songwriting as a diary. When you think about what was happening in his life when he wrote this, it makes a lot more sense that the lyrics are "cheesier" than whatever your standard is, lol. If anything, thinking about the personal side to this song makes it more painful to listen to, because you know that he was hurting at that point. But oh well, just my take on it. (It does sound incredible live, though.)

+ 100

imho the studio version is superbly produced

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The studio version surprised me. What I noticed:

*Very minimal electronic percussions

*Less Jonny boy than the live version

* Definitely a more synthetic vibe overall

However that said, I think the studio version has a wonderful claustrophobic feel to it. Like Oceans, it seems like you are underwater when you listen to it. Converys beautifully the emotions of the song, drowning in despair so to speak. And while there is less Jonny, his riffs in the end is a bit different than the live version and I like it more :)

Overall a beautiful track, very heartbreaking, with outstanding Chris vocals. For me it´s 50/50 with the live version. They will both find a place in my iPhone playlist :)

On first impressions, I agree with others. It's more mysterious sounding than I was expecting, and Will's use of drum pads rather than real physical drums is apparent. I wish the guitar solo was clearer like in the live performances (it sounds quite muffled in comparison), but I love how the song builds as it progresses, like Coldplay's previous songs.

I like this track, but I think I prefer the live version more. I was a little disappointed after hearing the effects and filters put on Chris's voice. The live version Chris sounds clearer and a bit more powerful, especially the "Got to pull yourself into me, Another's Arms, Another's Arms" part.

The studio version is incredible. Is it just my version or does Jonny's guitar (when it first comes in - the little solo) sound very watery? Almost like you plugged the headphones in halfway and can only hear half of the sound?

Haha I actually paused at that point to check my headphones as well. Was expecting the solo to be panned dead centre after listening to the live version so many times.

Having heard it in the context of the full album, the song kinda feels like their triumph (more than A Sky Full of Stars). The instruments and production are new Coldplay, but the structure (and especially the last minute) of this song is built like an anthem from the AROBTTH era.

When it premiered in March, I didn't like it too much, but came to adjust. The studio version improves on every live version we've heard so far, primarily with Jonny's beautiful work at the end of the song. It's still on the bottom of my favorites list, but significantly more enjoyable.

Haha I actually paused at that point to check my headphones as well. Was expecting the solo to be panned dead centre after listening to the live version so many times.

Same. It's very left-heavy and not as piercing as the live version. I wish it would've pierced a bit more, but I guess it lets the bass come through a bit more.

For some reason the intro makes me think of an episode or two of Doctor Who, lol.

Me too! Way back when it was played at the itunes show I immediately thought of Abigails song from one of the xmas specials.

I guess I'm not crazy after all.

I've heard it a few times now, I really liked the live version and especially Jonny's guitar parts. One of my favourites from the new songs.

The studio version for me is a little uneven; the last chorus onwards until the end is just perfect, everything is mixed so well and it has real impact. But (personally) I think the piano and especially the guitar is drenched in a little too much reverb before that point, and particularly during the bridge before that last chorus. That guitar solo during the live performance is emphasized and manages to be atmospheric while still being clear and crisp... but I feel on the studio version it lost a lot of it's impact because it's pushed way too far back in the mix, and ends up sounding too distant. Almost sounds like they removed the original guitar track and left only the reverb behind (100% wet, 0% dry for the music producers out there!). That's really my main gripe with it. Other than that I really like how dark and electronic it sounds, and I like some of the effects on Chris' voice. Especially liked how he sung the "is there someone there to find me" line, much more moody than the live versions.

Actually this reminds me a lot of when Radiohead were debuting songs from 'In Rainbows' live - everything sounded lively and well mixed, with plenty of emotional impact. And then when they dropped the album itself, a lot of the songs ended up sounding much more conservative, almost muted compared to the live versions. That's basically what I feel has happened here, but to a lesser extent.

Overall it's a very good track, but I do prefer the emphasis of the guitar and the piano in the live versions, does it more justice I feel!

ZEMYPOST! ZEMYPOST. Excuse me for a moment. I miss ZEMYPOSTs.

This is one of my favourites, it really does seem to convey the hollow feeling. I hope it becomes one of the more respected songs among the forumfolk because it does deserve it

Also one of my favourites after hearing the album once. I liked the live version but love the grittiness of the studio version and the distorted effect on Chris' voice. Also, his low register is amazing. Like Always in my Head, the album version seems much more interesting while usually I prefer their live versions.

I like that they're experimenting with sounds that make you go 'huh?' for a moment, like the woman's voice and bass thing on this song, the radar sound on Oceans, the guitar solo in True Love, the voice effect in Midnight.

yes!! that "opera" intro was irritating me for a couple of minutes, but then i remembered where it was "stolen" from; Heather Nova's Island;

[video=youtube;rCEI0JxPOtQ]

Uncanny. :lol: I do wonder where the sample is from / who sang though.

I've heard it a few times now, I really liked the live version and especially Jonny's guitar parts. One of my favourites from the new songs. studio version for me is a little uneven; the last chorus onwards until the end is just perfect, everything is mixed so well and it has real impact. But (personally) I think the piano and especially the guitar is drenched in a little too much reverb before that point, and particularly during the bridge before that last chorus. That guitar solo during the live performance is emphasized and manages to be atmospheric while still being clear and crisp... but I feel on the studio version it lost a lot of it's impact because it's pushed way too far back in the mix, and ends up sounding too distant. Almost sounds like they removed the original guitar track and left only the reverb behind (100% wet, 0% dry for the music producers out there!). That's really my main gripe with it. Other than that I really like how dark and electronic it sounds, and I like some of the effects on Chris' voice. Especially liked how he sung the "is there someone there to find me" line, much more moody than the live versions.

Actually this reminds me a lot of when Radiohead were debuting songs from 'In Rainbows' live - everything sounded lively and well mixed, with plenty of emotional impact. And then when they dropped the album itself, a lot of the songs ended up sounding much more conservative, almost muted compared to the live versions. That's basically what I feel has happened here, but to a lesser extent.

Overall it's a very good track, but I do prefer the emphasis of the guitar and the piano in the live versions, does it more justice I feel!

Absolutely agree with this post. The guitar just doesn't pierce during the solo. It seems like the piano just kinda disappears behind the synths and what sounds like a second electric guitar track. :(