✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin will be a Key Advisor on the US Voice this season (31 March/1 April/7 April)

nicklauschalk

Well first it was x idol and american factor and now this. Plus the whole MX thing. You need to understand why some of us get pissed off at these things. They seem to be abandoning the very principles they stood for. Things that attracted a lot of people to them in their earlier years. I get the impression people here think Coldplay only ever existed after VLV!

Agreed except to a certain extent on the MX thing. you can argue for an artistic drive there. but taking part in a cheap talent show reality tv is a low point. i'm sure that this had to go through the band since this is obviously tied up with the promotion for the album. hard to believe that guy and will agreed to this.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW once again, you guys are doing the most out of nothing. You guys were saying that Rihanna would end them. She didn't. And Coldplay's legacy is still intact.

This is just for promo and Im sure once the live shows start, they will be performing on the show.

The Voice (US) is not a cheap talent show. It's currently one of the highest rated shows here and it's actually very respected here. It has higher ratings and is more respected than all the other talent shows combined. It's also the best platform for promo. Last season, all the performers and guests ended up having top ten hits and saw sales gains.

Coldplay doesn't make music for free and isn't an Indie band.. Besides, they've promoted on crappier tv-shows before.

This will not tarnish their legacy and people will foget that they even performed there.

You guys are doing the absolute most. I don't know why you think Coldplay is above this. They are not.

This is a great opportunity and Im glad they let Chris do it. This isn't a big deal at all. Stop overreacting.

I truly don't think this kind of tv show suits Christ AT ALL. While genuinely believing he must a great coach to a lot of artists, behind the scenes, as we've read about over the years, Chris is no tv guy. I also don't really see any valid reason for this, as the band could promote LP6 through lots of other successful ways, like they've done over the years. Honestly I wouldn't mind them performing in any kind of TV show, because at least they're performing to promote their album. I don't know what Chris does exactly as a "key advisor", but he's without the band and we haven't heard about them performing at all, which is one thing that weirds me out. It's not like they had no other choice but to get Chris to appear on The Voice to promote their album in America, seriously.

The other thing that confuses me is that it's just not the kind of show for Chris or Coldplay. While I get it has very high audience rates, let's face it the jury is clearly composed of artists needing the promotion as they're in some sort of decline/feeling it coming. The artists that pass by may also need to actually get more recognition in America (Ed Sheeran for instance). Coldplay doesn't belong to any of these categories: they're one of the biggest bands in the world and they've shown no sign of decline. So, why go there? Again, they have so many other options.

Now I don't know what he's supposed to do, I guess however that he won't be an actual "judge" (let's face it that would actually be irresponsible, the guy's too nice on camera, he'd say literally everyone is awesome and more talented than him). He's probably mostly going to encourage the contestants and praise them, when Coldplay is covered he'll add a "those lyrics suck though" and that's probably just it. He's also only there for 3 shows, not the actual whole season. He's not actually making himself a part of the show, it is promotion, not a change of career or anything. So all things considered it's not that bad.

Right back at you

How am I overreacting? You saw all these posts and the tweets from the fandom. Yes they are overreacting. You can't deny it.

If you didn't overreact, then my post wasn't directed to you. But looks like it got you bothered, I must've hit a nerve.

How am I overreacting? You saw all these posts and the tweets from the fandom. Yes they are overreacting. You can't deny it.

If you didn't overreact, then my post wasn't directed to you. But looks like it got you bothered, I must've hit a nerve.

Like I said earlier, people are free to disagree with the decision that was made, there's no reason to start arguing about that. You're more than welcome to post your opinion but there's no need to start attacking people for having a different opinion. And in my opinion that's what you just did.

I'm a Moderator on this forum and one of the things I do is to keep an eye on things and that's exactly what I did and will continue doing.

I truly don't think this kind of tv show suits Christ AT ALL. While genuinely believing he must a great coach to a lot of artists, behind the scenes, as we've read about over the years, Chris is no tv guy. I also don't really see any valid reason for this, as the band could promote LP6 through lots of other successful ways, like they've done over the years. Honestly I wouldn't mind them performing in any kind of TV show, because at least they're performing to promote their album. I don't know what Chris does exactly as a "key advisor", but he's without the band and we haven't heard about them performing at all, which is one thing that weirds me out. It's not like they had no other choice but to get Chris to appear on The Voice to promote their album in America, seriously.

The other thing that confuses me is that it's just not the kind of show for Chris or Coldplay. While I get it has very high audience rates, let's face it the jury is clearly composed of artists needing the promotion as they're in some sort of decline/feeling it coming. The artists that pass by may also need to actually get more recognition in America (Ed Sheeran for instance). Coldplay doesn't belong to any of these categories: they're one of the biggest bands in the world and they've shown no sign of decline. So, why go there? Again, they have so many other options.

Now I don't know what he's supposed to do, I guess however that he won't be an actual "judge" (let's face it that would actually be irresponsible, the guy's too nice on camera, he'd say literally everyone is awesome and more talented than him). He's probably mostly going to encourage the contestants and praise them, when Coldplay is covered he'll add a "those lyrics suck though" and that's probably just it. He's also only there for 3 shows, not the actual whole season. He's not actually making himself a part of the show, it is promotion, not a change of career or anything. So all things considered it's not that bad.

Yep. They could've done other shows but this isn't as bad as people say. And he won't be sitting on those ridiculous chairs. He'll just help the contestants when they rehearse and give them few tips.

I don't watch The Voice but if I remember correctly One Republic did a similar thing last season. Ryan was a key advisor for few pre-recorded episodes and once the live shows started, he came back with his band to perform Counting Stars.

My guess is Coldplay's promo team was looking to get them to perform on the show and the show producers saw an opportunity and asked Chris if he could help them. And knowing how kind and polite Chris is, he said yes.

People were calling them sellouts yesterday. I mean, that's a bit too much.

I feel like Coldplay is more humble than their fans.

My guess is Coldplay's promo team was looking to get them to perform on the show and the show producers saw an opportunity and asked Chris if he could help them. And knowing how kind and polite Chris is, he said yes.

Ok now that sounds more like Coldplay :nod:

I agree with Céline, but I'm still not convinced this is promotion. To me that makes no sense at all. Chris appearing on The Voice doesn't have much to do with Coldplay's music, especially considering the way they'd normally promote or the way they dropped Magic and Midnight out of nowhere. The most probable reason I can think of it is he wants to do it for himself. Maybe he and Gwyneth need to finance that house they bought.

I'm a bit concerned Chris will make a fool out of himself by being too kind as well, but on the other hand I've read artists he worked with calling him brutally honest, so there's hope.

Macky if you are right about this being an opportunity to perform there - I'm still not behind it but at least that makes a little more sense. If that's the case, I'd say there are far easier ways for them to get some TV time though.

Also, I'm sorry you're annoyed but we're on a fansite here, where people obsess about small things. Blowing things out of proportion is basically the purpose of this forum. Besides, I don't think there's a bad vibe, we're just having a discussion. The more varied the opinions, the better.

Why are we assuming Chris is doing this only to promote the album? Sure that might be significant reason, but who knows. He's been living in LA for a while, maybe he's bored and they approached him at a time when not much else was going on for him (album nearly finished, no current tour). Also if I remember correctly Chris is friends with Adam Levine, so he might have just wanted to say yes to him, while at the same time bringing Coldplay (let's face it, no one thinks of Chris Martin and doesn't think of Coldplay) into the national TV spotlight in America.

So OK, good for Chris, that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to disagree with this decision.

I'm all for people for not being happy with it (I'm not thrilled about it!), but there are some people that are completely overreacting to the news. If everyone else can say what they want, why can't I?

I think we have to accept now they may become the next Maroon 5.

Don't ever say that, I'd have to change my legal name and move somewhere no one I know lives. She Will Be Loved is so beautiful and amazing. To hear something like Moves Like Jagger or Lucky Strike is to witness the worst deterioration of an artist that I've ever heard. Don't even joke about something like this.

Coldplay need to stay in their serious artist box. Like when they did The Nappies and guested on The Simpsons.

They definitely shouldn't be appearing on singing shows like hacks Queen, Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, Andrea Bocelli, Barry Gibb, Barry Manilow, Beyonce, or . . . wait, Coldplay?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Idol_episodes

This is a good point and I hope you're joking about the hacks bit, especially in regards to Queen and Manilow.

According to what I just read about The Voice, "The winner receives $100,000 and a record deal with Universal Music Group." Wow, what a surprise that he's "agreed" to do this. :rolleyes: For reference, the A&M/Octone label Maroon 5 and Levine are signed to is owned by Universal as well.

;)

Ah alright, I got you :) And here's a list of past advisers on The Voice: Ryan Tedder (OneRepublic), Lionel Richie, Rob Thomas (Matchbox 20) and Joel Madden (Good Charlotte)- all respectable, genuine, talented artists who have NOT SOLD OUT. With this in mind I'd have to agree that people are overreacting :nod: Rob Thomas is nearly, if not as, respectable as Chris Martin and he's done it so.

Coldplay need to stay in their serious artist box. Like when they did The Nappies and guested on The Simpsons.

They definitely shouldn't be appearing on singing shows like hacks Queen, Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, Andrea Bocelli, Barry Gibb, Barry Manilow, Beyonce, or . . . wait, Coldplay?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Idol_episodes

That's American Idol, not The Voice. Two very different shows.

That's American Idol, not The Voice. Two very different shows.

Really? How so? In any case, going off my limited knowledge, many of the judges on the voice--Cee lo green, Christina, etc.--are respected artists and better singers than Chris even. Having said that, I thought The Voice supposedly came about as a response to American Idol: the show was too much about appearance and marketing, so they dedicated a show to discovering real talent?

I mentioned this to my sister and a couple of others who watch it religiously, and they all say similar things. Basically, they say be careful not to compare The Voice too much with American Idol or the X-Factor which seem to have Simon Cowell or Simon Cowell-like people who are more mean spirited. I don't watch any of them and have only seen bits and parts, but maybe Chris finds this one a little more constructive than the other two which seem to feed off of negativity both musically and physically. Or not. It could be a promotional thing. ? Who knows. I don't have a basis for comparison, but this is what I hear. I've been very interested in finding out more lately ... for some reason. :kiss: At any rate, the good news is that if it really irritates people, they don't have to watch it. That's not said with any sarcasm.

i'm sure that this had to go through the band since this is obviously tied up with the promotion for the album. hard to believe that guy and will agreed to this.

Well I've come to the conclusion they had nothing to do with it. I can't imagine Will ever agreeing to this. Its purely an individual decision and his motives very unclear!

heh

your passive aggressiveness, however, does not amuse me

Funny how disagreeing with some people on this forum is seen as "passive aggressiveness"

I only meant to give my opinion and to tell people they are overreacting (which they did) Some of the posts below mine showed you how ridiculous this whole argument is.

The only one being passive aggressive here is you. Your post didn't add anything to the conversation and is an attack to me. And that doesn't amuse me.

The ugly truth is many Coldplayers think the band and themselves are above all of this. They are starting to sound like snobs. A little bit of humility will go a long way.

My favorite post on this website in a long time.