✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #17 [Reviews & Tracklists]

squibby92

Sorry for spamming the thread but the links to the mixtapes, reviews and response and tracklists are updated now. There's still half of the people waiting on a review or to respond to them. So if we don't get more reviews by Tuesday night I'll be messaging people. As I've said throughout though, of course I'll understand if you've got a reason as to why you haven't reviewed or responded yet and I'll let your mixtape reviewer or maker know too without revealing who you are either. :)

The link to Gerben's review is wrong buddy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally! Here is my track by track review of the mixtape by my mysterious partner.

Just to get generalities out of the way, I liked the cohesive elements of indie, rock, blues, and the tinges of pop. Though the atmosphere of the songs were not my forte, they were enjoyable. I felt that the vocal choices were a bit redundant, and I kept wondering if I was listening to the same artist. The latter half of the mixtape tended to be experimental in its production and mixing, and I liked the enclosing variety left at the end. I did put a rating on this, but it's mostly for myself to feel how well this mixtape was for me.

01 - 3:43

Starting off strong on heavy usage of drumming and bass. The rhythm felt like it would come straight from early recordings of The Reconteurs. I liked The delivery from the vocals felt a bit generic on the indie side. The song was dreamy and smooth, the piano a twinkling under a minimalist introduction. It serves as an interesting introduction.

02 - 5:39

This song might be a favorite. It's really accessible, but it feels organic. The ukulele help keep the electronic beat feel earthly. I wouldn't know if any cultural appropriation was involved in this, but it definitive felt like it shared some worldly, aboriginal undertones. I'm interested who this was.

03 - 3:01

I can't tell if this is the same artist from track two, but it feels damn close. Aside from that, the synthpop and orchestral mixing was mesmerizing. It didn't enlarge itself to some blob either. It is a conserved sound, but is a real slow burner. I couldn't make out the lyrics, so whether its grandiose energy fails in comparison to the lyrical context is debatable to me.

04 - 2:55

It seems like the mixtape is heading for more emotive atmosphere at this point. I appreciate the crooning and firm voice of the singer. It can also fit a falsetto but this was all right. I liked the analogy (or comparisons) about the protagonist's hardship to the waves of the oceans. Though it felt cliche, the sad melodies make it believable. It was short, which is good.

05 - 2:55

First thing to notice is the beginning. Whether it was a mixing of the vocal range or some digital thing going on, it was strange. I would say this is not that likable for me. It is just from strange orientation of happy baroque pop with a Dirty Projectors twist. I guess this track isn't that memorable to me.

06 - 3:33

I want to argue this is from the 70s era. But if this is a modern song, then damn. What this reminds me of is songs from Jefferson Starship. Specifically, it sounds like it comes from the Red Octopus album. It's definitely a well detailed song. With all the string melodies and backing vocals, it fills this psychedelic sound. It's a very cheery song, but mostly not a favorite either. I'm just not feeling it is all.

07 - 4:05

Very poppy. Clean melodies and somewhat conformist vocal deliveries. It feels like something from Owl City. Not too interesting to me, just because it doesn't click with me most of the time. I can understand how this can be emotional under the heavy orchestration in the background and some of the message on positivism. I guess I'm not completely interested, but I know this could appeal to people.

08 - 3:13

The Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" from the Help! album. One of the catchy songs on the album. I like the Help song that starts the album just for being somewhat epic. As for this song, it's lovable for being the Beatles.

09 - 3:46

Whenever I hear a guy's voice sound like this I always say it's Mumford & Sons, but I know I'm wrong. I forget the name of it but I think this song is from this year. It's a darling of a song, with a sweet, quiet guitar backing. It has nice string sections that don't feel overwhelming to the song. It's overall a heartwarming song.

10 - 4:34

I find this song to be really memorable, and the voice of this guy just gets to me a bit. I like how he sounds convincing, and that the song doesn't sound cheesy. The song doesn't feel ruined by its own self. I feel reminded of Sparklehorse but with a happy tone. I'd love to know this artist.

11 - 3:45

And now we are finally getting a lot more heavier after so many slow songs. It makes me think of the band, Them Crooked Vultures. It has that very upbeat drive and a fun sense of charm. Very groovy and bluesy vibe from the guitar parts and the backing vocals. Nice change of pace from the mixtape. I would like the know the song in context to the band's work though.

12 - 4:18

This sounds like a Keane song but with a better, less concerned, touch of sound. The singing is a bit underwhelming for a song that sounds more confident than humble for the singer. Overall, it was nice as a soothing interlude, but it's a bit boring. It does have initiative and the grander to appeal a lot of people, just not me.

13 - 3:34

I'm feeling my Franz Ferdinand vibes rolling in this song, haha. Even though it isn't them, it's still a feverishly good song with a snappy bass line. I just feel a bit seared in unintentional boredom from all these male singers sounding a bit alike in the mixtape. But this song alone is pretty amazing. I'd like to know who this was is.

14 - 4:02

I love that eerie intro. I love that it reminds me of the band Wild Beasts for the vocals and Arthur Beatrice for the musical production. I love the minimalist, theatrical mixing of the song. It's a good song for the approaching closer.

15 - 3:09

I think this is a closer for the lyrical contents rather than for the music, which is very much fine. When I listen to the lyrical contents, I keep feeling that I was supposed to pay attention to the themes in the mixtape. They all see to be summarized by this one song.

Mixtape Rating: 3/5

Ok, good news! The computer at work was able to reproduce the files! They are .wav, and since my house computer will not download the .zip file, I emailed them just to find out the computer in my house would not play them...

Anyhow! I obviously cannot review them here, but I must say I LOVE THIS SO DAMN MUCH. MUCH ROCKY. SO WOW.

I will try to make the review deserved soon! Sorry about the delay.

Hello Ouch,

I made your mixtape!!! I hope you enjoyed it! I put tracks into this mixtape that I was into at the moment.

here is my mixtape tracklist:

1. Damon Albarn - Lonely Press Play

2. Vance Joy - Riptide (filc flac remix)

3. James Vincent Mcmorrow - Gold

4. Mr. Probz - Waves

5. Lisa Hannigan - What'll I Do

6. Electric Light Orchestra - Living Thing

7. The Script - No Words

8. The Beatles - Ticket To Ride

9. Passenger - Heart's on Fire

10. Oasis - Half The World Away

11. The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling

12. The Flaming Lips - Waitin' For Superman

13. The Black Keys - Fever

14. James Vincent Mcmorrow - Red Dust

15. Tom Fletcher - Something New

download link: https://mega.co.nz/#F!kwwWVKRA!DopoxlEnSTMW24aRgNf2Aw

My comments are in Orange

Finally! Here is my track by track review of the mixtape by my mysterious partner.

Just to get generalities out of the way, I liked the cohesive elements of indie, rock, blues, and the tinges of pop. Though the atmosphere of the songs were not my forte, they were enjoyable. I felt that the vocal choices were a bit redundant, and I kept wondering if I was listening to the same artist. The latter half of the mixtape tended to be experimental in its production and mixing, and I liked the enclosing variety left at the end. I did put a rating on this, but it's mostly for myself to feel how well this mixtape was for me.

Thanks for the comments and advice! I will take them into account in the next exchange I participate in.

01 - 3:43

Starting off strong on heavy usage of drumming and bass. The rhythm felt like it would come straight from early recordings of The Reconteurs. I liked The delivery from the vocals felt a bit generic on the indie side. The song was dreamy and smooth, the piano a twinkling under a minimalist introduction. It serves as an interesting introduction.

This is the 3rd track off Damon Albarn's (of Blur) new solo album, Everyday Robots. I liked it as an opener because in my opinion sets the tone for the mixtape. That final line, "to improve" represents (in the context of the mixtape) my hopes that the tape would improve as it went along.

02 - 5:39

This song might be a favorite. It's really accessible, but it feels organic. The ukulele help keep the electronic beat feel earthly. I wouldn't know if any cultural appropriation was involved in this, but it definitive felt like it shared some worldly, aboriginal undertones. I'm interested who this was.

This is a remix of the popular song Riptide by Vance Joy. I liked this style of EDM because it doesn't go in to a big loud drop or whatver...

03 - 3:01

I can't tell if this is the same artist from track two, but it feels damn close. Aside from that, the synthpop and orchestral mixing was mesmerizing. It didn't enlarge itself to some blob either. It is a conserved sound, but is a real slow burner. I couldn't make out the lyrics, so whether its grandiose energy fails in comparison to the lyrical context is debatable to me.

This is from JVM's sophmore album, Post Tropical.. Saw him live promoting his 1st album. He's very Bon Iver esque in my opinion.. I know it is hard to make out the lyrics but I think his voice is brilliant.

04 - 2:55

It seems like the mixtape is heading for more emotive atmosphere at this point. I appreciate the crooning and firm voice of the singer. It can also fit a falsetto but this was all right. I liked the analogy (or comparisons) about the protagonist's hardship to the waves of the oceans. Though it felt cliche, the sad melodies make it believable. It was short, which is good.

This is the original version of Waves not the remix (which recieves a lot of radio play where I'm from).. I think it's very dark and heartfelt and this version puts across that analgy you talked about then the remix.

05 - 2:55

First thing to notice is the beginning. Whether it was a mixing of the vocal range or some digital thing going on, it was strange. I would say this is not that likable for me. It is just from strange orientation of happy baroque pop with a Dirty Projectors twist. I guess this track isn't that memorable to me.

I can understand if you don't like this style.. Seen her live also, very good excellent range. I like this song because of the happy tone it brings to the tape compared to the other emotional songs.

06 - 3:33

I want to argue this is from the 70s era. But if this is a modern song, then damn. What this reminds me of is songs from Jefferson Starship. Specifically, it sounds like it comes from the Red Octopus album. It's definitely a well detailed song. With all the string melodies and backing vocals, it fills this psychedelic sound. It's a very cheery song, but mostly not a favorite either. I'm just not feeling it is all.

It is from the 70's era! 1st heard this last year.. I really liked the melody and I think the production is sublime.

07 - 4:05

Very poppy. Clean melodies and somewhat conformist vocal deliveries. It feels like something from Owl City. Not too interesting to me, just because it doesn't click with me most of the time. I can understand how this can be emotional under the heavy orchestration in the background and some of the message on positivism. I guess I'm not completely interested, but I know this could appeal to people.

This is probably the most poppy song I've put on hear other than riptide.. its from the scripts album #3 (number 3 not hashtag three). I liked the quirky lyrics and production on the track.

08 - 3:13

The Beatles' "Ticket to Ride" from the Help! album. One of the catchy songs on the album. I like the Help song that starts the album just for being somewhat epic. As for this song, it's lovable for being the Beatles.

What can I say really... it's The Beatles, For Heavens sake!!

09 - 3:46

Whenever I hear a guy's voice sound like this I always say it's Mumford & Sons, but I know I'm wrong. I forget the name of it but I think this song is from this year. It's a darling of a song, with a sweet, quiet guitar backing. It has nice string sections that don't feel overwhelming to the song. It's overall a heartwarming song.

It's from Passengers new album, Whispers. There's a live version online with Ed Sheeran for anyone who wants to check it out. Glad you liked it!

10 - 4:34

I find this song to be really memorable, and the voice of this guy just gets to me a bit. I like how he sounds convincing, and that the song doesn't sound cheesy. The song doesn't feel ruined by its own self. I feel reminded of Sparklehorse but with a happy tone. I'd love to know this artist.

That's the voice of the brilliant Noel Gallagher. Its probably most famous for being the theme tune of the british tv show, The Royle Family. Great Song from the album, The Masterplan.

11 - 3:45

And now we are finally getting a lot more heavier after so many slow songs. It makes me think of the band, Them Crooked Vultures. It has that very upbeat drive and a fun sense of charm. Very groovy and bluesy vibe from the guitar parts and the backing vocals. Nice change of pace from the mixtape. I would like the know the song in context to the band's work though.

It's The Black Keys! I only found out that this was there song on Jools Holland with Coldplay, a while ago. I had always heard it in Trailers and Advertisements.. The guitar riff in the intro is great! From their album, El Camino.

12 - 4:18

This sounds like a Keane song but with a better, less concerned, touch of sound. The singing is a bit underwhelming for a song that sounds more confident than humble for the singer. Overall, it was nice as a soothing interlude, but it's a bit boring. It does have initiative and the grander to appeal a lot of people, just not me.

Coldplay did a cover of this in the viva era (it's up on Youtube). Really liked the lyrics and instrumentation so that's why it's on here. My only complaint is the effect on the vocals.

13 - 3:34

I'm feeling my Franz Ferdinand vibes rolling in this song, haha. Even though it isn't them, it's still a feverishly good song with a snappy bass line. I just feel a bit seared in unintentional boredom from all these male singers sounding a bit alike in the mixtape. But this song alone is pretty amazing. I'd like to know who this was is.

Another Black Keys song.. From the album Turn Blue. Not a huge fan of them but this song caught my attention earlier this year.

14 - 4:02

I love that eerie intro. I love that it reminds me of the band Wild Beasts for the vocals and Arthur Beatrice for the musical production. I love the minimalist, theatrical mixing of the song. It's a good song for the approaching closer.

Another JVM song.. I liked the part near the end where it had the lyrics.."Sometimes My hands they don't feel like my own". Nice slow electronic music instead of house and dubstep.

15 - 3:09

I think this is a closer for the lyrical contents rather than for the music, which is very much fine. When I listen to the lyrical contents, I keep feeling that I was supposed to pay attention to the themes in the mixtape. They all see to be summarized by this one song.

You're kind of right about paying attention to the themes of the tape. I chose this song as a closer to acts as a message I wanted to put across. In this tape my aim was to introduce people to new artists they had never heard rather than listening to a tape with songs they've already heard. This song is by Tom Fletcher of the british band McFly. I'll show you the video of this song and the lyrics will make sense.

[video=youtube;yJ7-v7xVm3I]

Mixtape Rating: 3/5

I know two people have posted where there at but what about the rest? I've messaged those people last week, what's going on? When are you going to review or respond?

This is aimed at those who haven't replied to the message I sent last Tuesday or haven't said anything in this thread since getting or giving their mixtape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know two people have posted where there at but what about the rest? I've messaged those people last week, what's going on? When are you going to review or respond?

This is aimed at those who haven't replied to the message I sent last Tuesday or haven't said anything in this thread since getting or giving their mixtape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they are too busy?

Maybe so and some have said that, which is of course understandable but I know some who have been online quite a lot so I just think it's a bit unfair on the people waiting on them.

Set the new deadline for letting them to do a second chance. Otherwise they may forget. *just tryna help you out a bit*

Ok, after Grids giving me the idea, there's a final deadline for reviewing for the remaining people left to do so.

The deadline now is for Monday 16th 23:59 GMT. Unless you want to send me a PM and let me know you can't make that then that's no problem :)

Somehow everything is confabulating so i would not post this review here...

I... I am sorry for being late, and now for keeping my review short... I had completed it, and the page decided to tell me i was not logged in :/ and now it is late and i am sleepy and i do not think i will have enough time to do it tomorrow :/

The Journey's End (accompanied by a cover art of an igloo with the aurora borealis on the back)

1) This one starts off as one of those songs that you would watch in a tv series like Dawson’s creek, Smallville or so. Then goes in a strong instrumental, to continue in the slow rhythm again. I really enjoyed the lyrics. The rhythm itself would not be really my thing unless I am depressed though.

2) Beepings, and then a bass. I like the few pauses it has. The lyrics are awesome! You do not really get much but the beeps and bass rifts, but their voices are enough to make it an awesome song. Towards the end you get more instruments come in, and in the last minute it gets really intense while the voices fade out. Overall a great song.

3) I really like this one! It is very rocky, her voice is not really common, I would say. It makes me think of Violent Femmes, but I know it is not them. It is really catchy. I love how rocky this mixtape is.

4) This one is more relaxed, I really enjoyed it. It has a constant rhythm throughout the song; I cannot really place who the band is, but it sounds familiar! Fun lyrics too.

5) Slow strings and then bongos? A cello? This one is not really rocky at all, but somehow fits the mixtape really well. The cello comes in and out through the song. The lyrics reflect the singer sort of longing for another place to be… sort of bittersweet. Lovely song.

6) We have a piano, and then a few faded strings. I have heard this band before! I think the song as well, but not sure when, or who it is. Her voice at the beginning is really strong, but it gets more feminine in her high notes. Really liked this song!!! Toward the ends it reminds me of a Moby song!

7) Of Monsters And Men! I have not heard the song, but their voices are unmistakable. Is a slow song and there are claps in the background. I really liked this one. The lyrics are lovely again.

8) Again, a slow song. Two vocalists. It is a soothing song; I like how the lyrics basically tell a life story. All of these songs, being slow and with low background are really easy to actually listen to what they have to say, making it far more enjoyable.

9) This picks up the pace some. Sort of country sound at the start, but it stays slow and only a guitar plays. I really like the lyrics, they are about being led on by someone who is nothing like you, I guess. She is mother nature’s daughter, and he is in the city…

10) And the rock is back!!! Sort of an old vibe to it. love the wooooohhh wooo ooooohs! No clue who this band is, but sounds somewhat familiar. Nice beat!

11) THE VACCINES <3<3<3 WRECKING BAR! I love this song and band so damn much. Thank you so much for putting them here!

12) Some guitar riffs and then a few drops... guitar starts again, and the drum accompany it. His voice is sort of faded, and there is sort of interchanged vocals. Pretty sure this is Interpol, awesome band.

13) This one is really intense, reminds me of Limp Biskit... i have heard the band before, but i cannot please it. I liked the part where the music foes a bit quiet, and he whispers before the music starts again. Good song.

14) I really like this one, made me remember how our vert zoo professor told us about how formaldehyde was used to preserve animal bodies in those jars, and how it gave people cancer so they switched to alcohol... anyways, I have heard the band before, but cannot really place it. Lovely song!

15) Amazing closer. It is sort of what i am really into, songs with different/unexpected changes in beats throughout the song, and with strange sounds in them. Awesome ending.

Thank youu for the mixtape, and sorry for such a tired review. Try to picture the original one though, there were a lot of exclamation marks showing how excited i was about the mixtape!

Sorry about being super late as well!

My really late review, sorry:

1 - The Killers' When You Were Young, great starter, love this song, so much energy on it. One of Brandon's best vocal performances.

2 - Strokes, I really don't remeber the name of this song, but I had totally forgot how good this is.

3 - Ok, this is a song I don't know. Has this surf music, summer feel, the guitar made me think of Vampire Weekend, fun song, not great, not bad either, I bit repetitve though.

4 - Now that's a change of sound, weird song, has those paced brass and organ as the main instruments leading the song. It's at the same time dark and fun, a cool soundtrack for family adams.

5 - Pop beat and some indie rock guitars at the start, bright sounding, catchy song, finded myself nodding my head halfway through it, I guess that's good.

6 - Delicated guitars and a heartbeating kind of drumming on the begining, it eventually becomes a march on the chorous and then goes back to the heartbeat. Pretty guitar solo on the middle of it, the lyrics keep talking about beeing set free, it's a simple song, but a bit hypnotizing. It ends just as it started without going many places, still a nice song.

7 - Fast guitars and drumming on this one, something you could hear on a indie rock kind of party, gives you this willing of jumping arround. I bit generic, not really special.

8 - Really eletronic, on a retro kind of way, love these cheap synths and beat, really 80s. I actually think I know this, isn't it from a solo album by Julian Casablancas? The bridge near the end is great, such a well crafted pop song. It ends kind of suddenly though, not sure if it really should be that way or the archive is just cutted.

9 - Whatever the reason was for the sudden end, the maker was cleaver tu put a Day In The Life here, the beggining of it really worked with the end of the previous track. Well not much to talk about A Day In The Life, a classic, epic song.

10 - Bad Religion, my favourite song by Frank Oceam, the recording is just so full of pain, the lyrics are great, the production too, great song.

11 -Starts with Honky Tonky pianos and then goes into a pop rock ballad . It's has a nice a melody specially when he says "am I just a fool". It's not a bad track, but it feels a bit too cheesy for me. There's a guitar solo near the end which I don't like at all, and the end of the song is just ridiculous with a group singing of the line "feeling that way" which feels like taken of a radio jingle.

12 - Nice, slow song, I like this guy's deep voice along with this high pitched piano, works really well. The bass line is cool too. It's not a really great melody, but his voice is so cool that I don't even care, the record is great, specially on the verses. It does turn out to be a little bit too long, but it's not that much of a problem.

13 - Pretty sure this is The Black Keys. The hook is great, I like it, even though I'm not really found of the vocals. It ends just in time, leaves an impression and doesn't start to get boring, a good track.

14 - LOVE THIS, the guitar line is great, his delicate vocals work really well, I feel like running to it. Feels inspired by U2's Where The Streets Have No Name, but much more upbeat.

15 - Feels a bit french inspired with the accordion, it's a cool song, not really special but quite different, I like it.

16 - Accordion again, this one I like more though, are those xylophones? I think I know this voice, is it Beirut? If it is, thanks, it's been ages I don't listen to them.

17 - Nice guitar line, I think I know this song for some reason, maybe I'm just crazy. It's a quite danceble track, I like the female backing vocals.

Overall I really liked it, I was a bit affraid at the begining because I knew some of the songs, but in the end you introduced me to some quite great stuff. My favourites were track 8 and 14.

Hi, Prospector, I made your mixtape!

Comments on your reviews are marked in purple below:

My really late review, sorry:

1 - The Killers' When You Were Young, great starter, love this song, so much energy on it. One of Brandon's best vocal performances.

I wanted to start this off with a BIT of familiarity and add some dashes every now and then, because I know listening to songs you've never heard before can be a bit tiring. I do love Brandon's voice on this track as well.

2 - Strokes, I really don't remeber the name of this song, but I had totally forgot how good this is.

Barely Legal, it's one of my favourites :)

3 - Ok, this is a song I don't know. Has this surf music, summer feel, the guitar made me think of Vampire Weekend, fun song, not great, not bad either, I bit repetitve though.

This is Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa, and it is indeed by Vampire Weekend! I agree, the chorus does get a bit repetitive and annoying after a while.

4 - Now that's a change of sound, weird song, has those paced brass and organ as the main instruments leading the song. It's at the same time dark and fun, a cool soundtrack for family adams.

This is one of my favourite songs by The Doors...Ray Manzarek is probably the best keyboard player (the organ you hear is played by him) of all time. Such a tune.

5 - Pop beat and some indie rock guitars at the start, bright sounding, catchy song, finded myself nodding my head halfway through it, I guess that's good.

I'm kind of surprised, and glad, that you enjoyed this one....it's by The 1975, and Matty Healy is such a messy singer with his words. I usually have to look up the lyrics to even begin to memorise them.

6 - Delicated guitars and a heartbeating kind of drumming on the begining, it eventually becomes a march on the chorous and then goes back to the heartbeat. Pretty guitar solo on the middle of it, the lyrics keep talking about beeing set free, it's a simple song, but a bit hypnotizing. It ends just as it started without going many places, still a nice song.

I'm Set Free, by The Velvet Underground. Such a classic song. I can't remember when I got into them. I was going to put Heroin by them on here, but I figured it was too long. Anyways, I agree with the hypnotising bit, especially with the guitar solo.

7 - Fast guitars and drumming on this one, something you could hear on a indie rock kind of party, gives you this willing of jumping arround. I bit generic, not really special.

This is my go-to jumping around song! Along with the rest of the album this song is on. One of the only bands in which I enjoy every song they've recorded.

8 - Really eletronic, on a retro kind of way, love these cheap synths and beat, really 80s. I actually think I know this, isn't it from a solo album by Julian Casablancas? The bridge near the end is great, such a well crafted pop song. It ends kind of suddenly though, not sure if it really should be that way or the archive is just cutter.

Yes, this is Julian Casablancas! I enjoy the lyrics of this song so much, it's always awesome when you can relate. The cut off at the end is supposed to be that way. Love this one.

9 - Whatever the reason was for the sudden end, the maker was cleaver tu put a Day In The Life here, the beggining of it really worked with the end of the previous track. Well not much to talk about A Day In The Life, a classic, epic song.

Another familiar one (I was hoping). I agree, absolutely a classic.

10 - Bad Religion, my favourite song by Frank Oceam, the recording is just so full of pain, the lyrics are great, the production too, great song.

I was unsure if you would guess this one, but I'm glad you did! Frank Ocean is such an incredible artist. This song can make me cry sometimes, the lyrics are just....wow.

11 -Starts with Honky Tonky pianos and then goes into a pop rock ballad . It's has a nice a melody specially when he says "am I just a fool". It's not a bad track, but it feels a bit too cheesy for me. There's a guitar solo near the end which I don't like at all, and the end of the song is just ridiculous with a group singing of the line "feeling that way" which feels like taken of a radio jingle.

I can tell that you probably weren't born in the 70's because this is Journey, and if you grew up when they were around, you loved them :laugh3: Steve Perry's voice is awesome. They're the ones who sing Don't Stop Believin'.

12 - Nice, slow song, I like this guy's deep voice along with this high pitched piano, works really well. The bass line is cool too. It's not a really great melody, but his voice is so cool that I don't even care, the record is great, specially on the verses. It does turn out to be a little bit too long, but it's not that much of a problem.

Timber Timbre.....very obscure band, very indie, don't even know how or when I discovered them. Love his voice though.

13 - Pretty sure this is The Black Keys. The hook is great, I like it, even though I'm not really found of the vocals. It ends just in time, leaves an impression and doesn't start to get boring, a good track.

Yes, it's Howlin' For You by The Black Keys. I love the instruments on this track, and I agree that it's the perfect length.

14 - LOVE THIS, the guitar line is great, his delicate vocals work really well, I feel like running to it. Feels inspired by U2's Where The Streets Have No Name, but much more upbeat.

I am very surprised you don't know this song! Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap, it's in a lot of movies and such. I get some U2 vibes from it as well. I run on the treadmill to this song, actually!

15 - Feels a bit french inspired with the accordion, it's a cool song, not really special but quite different, I like it.

Take The Night From Me by Miles Kane....I was really second guessing my choice with this song because it's very weird, but I'm glad you like it. I adore his voice on this track.

16 - Accordion again, this one I like more though, are those xylophones? I think I know this voice, is it Beirut? If it is, thanks, it's been ages I don't listen to them.

This is The Concubine by Realpeople. I love this song. It's another weird one, but the accordion on it is lovely. Love the vocals as well.

17 - Nice guitar line, I think I know this song for some reason, maybe I'm just crazy. It's a quite danceble track, I like the female backing vocals.

You probably do, this is Belle & Sebastian. The lyrics to this are so good, I listen to it when I'm feeling kinda down in the dumps about home and work life.

Overall I really liked it, I was a bit affraid at the begining because I knew some of the songs, but in the end you introduced me to some quite great stuff. My favourites were track 8 and 14.

I'm so glad you liked it! I was a bit weary of putting well-known songs on here, and I didn't stick to a specific genre...I think it was better for me to have gone all over the place and include many genres just to give you a broader scope of the music I listen to :D I am really very glad you enjoyed it.

I didn't give this mixtape a title, because I felt like there was such a broad scope of genres etc that I couldn't give it one that encompassed everything on it, but I did make an album cover (PNG file, not required at all, I didn't include it in the original file folder for you Prospector...I'm an idiot):

2z5u7wy.png

The track-listing:

When You Were Young - The Killers

Barely Legal - The Strokes

Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa - Vampire Weekend

Alabama Song (Whisky Bar) - The Doors

Chocolate - The 1975

I'm Set Free - Velvet Underground

Wolf Pack - The Vaccines

11th Dimension - Julian Casablancas

A Day in The Life - The Beatles

Bad Religion - Frank Ocean

Feeling That Way - Journey

Black Water - Timber Timbre

Howlin' For You - The Black Keys

Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap

Take The Night From Me - Miles Kane

The Concubine - Realpeople

Write About Love - Belle and Sebastian

Last but not least, the download link:

I am also really late with my review - sorry, I was really busy, but here it comes.

1. This one is new for me. Reminds me of God is an astronaut. I figure this one would be better off with vocals.

2. New for me. Nice. Has a cinematic vibe + a little mumford and sons. The only thing is, it is a bit too long to my taste.

3. Sigur Ros. I am not really a fan of this band, but they definitely have style. This song has an interesting sound, but is a little boring, IMO) I like hoppipolla MUCH better - yeah yeah I know, predictable.

4. Band of horses - The funeral. I like this song for the progression in the beginning.

5. I have heard this somewhere before, definitely! In a commercial, probably? Love it, goes straight into my iPhone playlist. Great!

6. New for me. I also like it. There used to be a TV series called One Tree Hill. I think this song would fit right in! Cinematic and elevating. The lyrics are nice, too!

7. Ok, so it definitely feels like the person who created this mixtape is into a ‘tv series / cinematic’ vibe. This one is also new for me, and I can’t say that I love it, but it does give you this uplifting feeling. Nice!

8. Augustana - Boston. Cute little piano piece, but I’m a little tired of this sound that’s been copied way too much (by One Republic, for instance).

9. Howie Day - Collide

I remember I heard this song back in the day on some online radio station and I downloaded it and could not stop listening to it. It is an excellent song. A true classic. And yes, this fits this O.C./One Tree Hill mood, as well.

10. Owl City. Well, I respect the guy for doing his thing, but I could never get this hype around his music. All his song seem to be built around the same progression.

11. Yeah, Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs) One of those songs that I used to listen to non stop when they came out. Taking a break from melancholic tracks.

12. New for me. A bit rough round the edges. Not my thing, sorry. Lacks depth. Kind of like a wannabe Owl City + a little Skrillex there helping out.

13. New for me, as well. A little boring, probably because of the electronic drum beat. Really feels like this song would benefit from real drums.

14. Some instrumental piece. The instruments are great and all, but the whole thing seems all over the place. Not my thing.

15. The fray. I LOVE some of their songs, like How to save a life, you found me and over my head. This one - not so much, definitely not their best work, in my opinion.

16. Come on get higher - Matt Nathanson - one of my favorite songs! I believe I also heard it first on One Tree Hill.

All in all, I really liked this mixtape and it seems like we have a lot in common musically with the person who made it. It is also cool that the whole mixtape has a unified mood, which my mixtape definitely didn’t have - I just thought it’s a collection of songs you like!)

So if the deadline passes with no word from the person reviewing our tapes, should we just post the link and have others review it?

That's how it'll work and if anyone's still waiting on a tracklist then I'll give them it