✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin on Zane Lowe (28-04-2014) - 8pm on BBCR1

Captain Crieff

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all hour long interviews zane lowe has done (jay z, eminem, kanye) so far are on the radio 1 youtube channel. so this too would end up there i think.

for everyone who were wishing that chris would just shut up already about one direction - bad news.

Coldplay's Chris Martin praises One Direction: 'The songs are great'

Coldplay's Chris Martin has praised One Direction, describing them as "the biggest band in the world".

The frontman told BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe that he doesn't expect any of the group to "go solo" because of their "chemistry".

He said: "I think One Direction are the biggest band in the world, their songs are great. I'm saying One Direction are brilliant and I'm not kidding.

"You know why? Because their songs are really good and I don't think that any of them are going to go solo. I think they appreciate their chemistry from watching their movie… Harry [styles] has come to a couple of our shows, I think I probably said the same thing about chemistry."

However, Martin admitted that he can't remember their conversation in full as he was "too enamoured with [styles's] haircut".

"I was like this: 'I was pretty sure I was a straight guy before' - I was having a hot flush," he joked.

Martin also spoke about the "false headlines" about his split from wife Gwyneth Paltrow in the interview.

The full hour-long interview with Chris Martin will be broadcast at 8pm tonight (Monday, April 28) on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show.

Listen live on BBC Radio 1, via mobile and the BBC iPlayer Radio app. You will also be able to watch the interview on Radio 1's YouTube channel after 9pm on Monday April, 28.

link

it is going to be much more personal than any other interview so far.

Chris Martin says Coldplay's new album is a response to life's 'colourful challenges'

Singer says the end of his marriage to Gwyneth Paltrow was not a breakdown, 'more a realisation about trying to grow up'

Chris Martin of Coldplay performs in Sydney, Australia, on 17 November 2012 Photograph: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

Coldplay's new album inspired by the need to "really be honest" about the "colourful challenges" of life, Chris Martin has said in an inteview with Radio 1's Zane Lowe.

But when asked if the breakdown of his relationship with Gwyneth Paltrow, Martin said: "I wouldn't use the word breakdown, this was more a realisation about trying to grow up, basically. Like I said, if you can't open yourself up, you can't appreciate the wonder inside. So you can be with someone very wonderful, but because of your own issues you cannot let that be celebrated in the right way.

"What changed for me was – I don't want to go through life being scared of it, being scared of love, being scared of rejection, being scared of failure. Ever since our band came out, we have been a very polarising group because we do a certain thing very well … About two years ago I was a mess really because I can't enjoy the thing that we are good at and I can't enjoy the great things around me because I'm burdened by this – I've got to not blame anyone else and make some changes."

He told Lowe the problems life poses are necessary. "I think in life everyone needs to be broken in some way," he said. "I think everyone in their life goes through challenges, whether it's love or money, kids, or illness … You have to really not run away from that stuff. Life throws these colourful challenges at you … what we decided to do on Ghost Stories was to really be honest about it and say, this is what's been happening."

Martin said he had part of his life not being "completely vulnerable, and it caused me some problems. If you don't let love really in then you can't really give it back." He added that the new album, Ghost Stories, addressed the fact that "you've got to open yourself up to love and if you really do, of course it will be painful at some times, but then it will be great at some point."

link

more quotes here.

Oh my, I got a feeling this interview is going to be emotional.. I knew when they split and the statement they gave it was something different. Its like they had to step back in order to look ahead.. Chris seems so deep , I cannot wait to listen to what he has to say.. GS is one beautiful album I cannot wait to hear it in its entirety

SPOILER: Quotes from the interview in the Daily Mail ( :rolleyes: ). It seems he addresses the breakup in the interview.

Chris Martin has spoken about how his personal issues played a part in his marital split from Gwyneth Paltrow.

In an revealing interview with BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe, the Coldplay frontman gave the first real insight into troubles within his ten-year marriage to the actress.

'About two years ago I was a mess really because I can't enjoy the thing that we are good at and I can't enjoy the great things around me because I'm burdened by this,' the 38-year old said. 'I've got to not blame anyone else and make some changes.'

He continued: 'I wouldn’t use the word breakdown, this was more a realisation about trying to grow up basically.

'If you can’t open yourself up, you can’t appreciate the wonder inside. So you can be with someone very wonderful, but because of your own issues you cannot let that be celebrated in the right way.

'What changed for me was - I don’t want to go through life being scared of it, being scared of love, being scared of rejection, being scared of failure.'

Chris revealed how the end the couple's troubles began as he said: 'Up to a certain point in my life I wasn’t completely vulnerable and it caused some problems.'

He added: 'If you don’t let love really in then you can’t really give it back. So what Ghost Story means to me is like you’ve got to open yourself up to love and if you really do, of course it will be painful at times, but then it will be great at some point.

The musician took part in an hour long interview, which will air on Monday 28th April, and while he did not mention his estranged wife by name, he spoke about candidly about his love and life.

Chris mused: 'I think in life everyone needs to be broken in some way.

'I think everyone in their life goes through challenges, whether it’s love or money, kids, or illness... You have to really not run away from that stuff.

'Life throws these colorful challenges at you … what we decided to do on Ghost Stories was to really be honest about it and say, this is what’s been happening.'

Speaking about his new single magic, Chris explained: 'It’s about saying this person is really awesome and is magic, and of course certain parts of it have to change because that’s life but not everything has to be black or white or clear cut and that’s okay.

'It’s not a question of you either really love someone or you really hate someone, its more nuanced than that - especially with the modern world’s complications – like travelling and all the stuff that come to life, and illness and addiction and all that sort of thing.

While the video sees Chris saving a damsel from an unhappy relationship, Chris said: 'It’s just saying - ultimately there is magic between two people no matter what anyone else thinks.'

The couple, who were considered one of Hollywood's most solid partnerships, stunned fans when they confirmed their split less than two months ago on March 25.

The interview also saw Chris reveal his admiration for pop boyband One Direction.

Chris admitted: 'I think One Direction are the biggest band in the world, their songs are great.

'I’m saying One Direction are brilliant and I’m not kidding. You know why? Because their songs are really good and I don’t think that any of them are going to go solo. I think they appreciate their chemistry from watching their movie.

He spoke candidly about his appreciation of Harry Styles as he added: 'Harry has come to a couple of our shows, I think I probably said the same thing about chemistry.

'I can’t remember - I was too enamored with his hair cut. I was like this: ‘I was pretty sure I was a straight guy before’ - I was having a hot flush.'

The rocker also admitted that Zane Lowe's infamous interview with rapper Kanye West was the reason why he chose to sit down with the DJ.

Chris said: 'I have to say the reason I wanted to do this was because I love your Kanye interview.

'That guy is amazing and I think he is misunderstood by people who only look on the surface. I understand what he is talking about and I understand what he means.'