✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, holy shit :freak:

I actually have I think everything on that list except tracks 8-13...if that guy uploaded them once, though, and people got them, how come no one else has them? I've never even HEARD of those songs before, and I like to think that I know a fair amount about The Strokes world. I doubt if they were real songs. I just feel like if someone uploaded them in 2006, they'd have spread to everyone by now, especially since I have everything else on that list (besides "Eller"). I think they're all fakes, mixed in with enough legitimate things to make them look real.

I've been listening some about them, and they're really good.

I prefer the strokes before any other indie or postpunk band like arctic monkeys, the national, snow patrol, etc.

They're really cool and i'll go on listening to them

I had said previously that Im a new listener to the Strokes and so many of their songs just give me chills down my back..I absolutely love Julian's voice.Cant stop lookin at youtube videos for Hard to Explain..That song really gives me the chills.

Anyone have any interesting nuggets about them??Im getting obsessed

Sweet, I've seen them live and they were awesome.

How many times have you seen them or is this you first?

This was my first. And it was pretty much amazing.

I can if you give me some time :)

I can put together a whole folder of random rare shit if you want, more than just what's on that list (besides #s8-13 which are fakes).

They're fakes? Okay good, because I was freaking out for a bit there, wondering why I didn't have them yet! :P

OK, I uploaded it to this thread in MM: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21300&highlight=The+Strokes&page=3

:dance:. 29 songs, and it's most of the unreleased rare stuff that isn't a live bootleg (though there are a few very very early things that are live simply because we only have live versions of them).

I didn't have a couple of those yet, thanks Chelsea! :D

So yeah......msg was spectacular. I have so much to say about it that I don't even know where to begin. I'll post a link to the tumblr post I'm going to make about it later today on this thread. But for now I'll just say that they played Ask Me Anything, which I thought was special, and they played Games and Gratisfaction for the first time ever live, and after hearing them, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Angles in its entirety sounds a lot better live.

UGH, KATIE, I AM WAITING FOR YOUR STORY LIKE CRAZY :dance:

And yeah, I think we can safely say they're fakes--the dude uploaded them in 2006, so if they were real, they would have been passed along person-to-person like everything else is, and we would have at least heard of them. I bet whoever made that CD chucked on a few fake things to make them look legitimate in light of the other real things on there.

Just based on the Vegas/SXSW/TV/MSG footage, I think I can say that I like Angles a lot better live as well. As much as I do like it, it nowhere near touches the other Strokes albums for me, but when I've heard and seen them perform Angles songs in the past few weeks, I've been unable to contain my excitement just as much as with the other songs on the setlist. Which is good, because I'M SEEING THEM IN 13 DAYS :wacky:.

That explains that then. Yeah, it was ApproximatelyInfinite, since she came up on my 'recommended people' or whatever it's called, and I recognised the pic from her av, but I thought it was the person who shared the Strokes stuff. Just so you know I'm not a creeper :laugh3:

Serves me right for adding people when drunk.

I looooved your tumblr post Katie! made me so excited for Oxegen :awesome:

Thanks! Eeeeeee I'm so excited for you too! :D

WHOA WHOA, I MISSED KATIE'S TUMBLR POST? Goddamn my time zone :uhoh:

I'll go and find it in a bit!

PS: @Jo--96 DAYS :dance:

If you haven't looked at it yet, I'll save you the trouble.....

http://woodyallenofmusic.tumblr.com/post/4356880121/nyc-trip-day-1-friday

If anyone else wants to read it, feel free, though it's ridiculously long and not very eloquent.

AGH KATIE, THAT IS SO GR8 :bigcry:

Ugh, I'm so happy for every second of that story. I'm also glad you didn't get eaten alive--from all the footage, the crowd looked tame and respectable compared to what we've been seeing/hearing. I don't think we'll be able to say the same about Coachella and Oxegen, God help me, but AHH YOU WERE RIGHT THERE :D :D :D

Ugh, that seriously made me 400x more excited. I keep on saying that, but it's like my excitement escalates 5 degrees every day or so.

Im a new fan of the Strokes and have been reading anything I could find on them..

So it makes me sad when I read articles from 10 years ago and they were the best of friends.The articles said they were closer than brothers and all that.

From what I read now,it seems that Julian and the others are at odds with each other.Julian did all the vocals on the new album alone in a room..And the other guys said the whole experience was pretty miserable..anyone have any thoughts on this??

Im a new fan of the Strokes and have been reading anything I could find on them..

So it makes me sad when I read articles from 10 years ago and they were the best of friends.The articles said they were closer than brothers and all that.

From what I read now,it seems that Julian and the others are at odds with each other.Julian did all the vocals on the new album alone in a room..And the other guys said the whole experience was pretty miserable..anyone have any thoughts on this??

Oh, I have plenty of thoughts on this :P

You see, it was difficult to work out, because the schedules of each member kept failing to match up. And when the rest of the band was finally able to be together in a studio at once, Julian was out on his tour for his solo album. So they decided to do things without him. But also, Julian said he wanted to kind of back up and give the rest of the band some space, since he's difficult to work with at times because he holds very strong opinions on how the music should sound. He wanted to give the others a chance to contribute for the sake of the band's longevity. The band wasn't sued to working like this, so things were weird, but not miserable by any means, as far as I can tell from what they've said.

It's definitely true that they went through some rough times, due to several different factors, but Julian was said that they are "closer than ever" now, and I don't personally see any reason to believe otherwise. The other members have commented as well on the current good status of the band's relationship.

And yes, 10 years or so ago they did seem to be a lot closer, but they've said it was more of an act, or soemthing they thought they had to do for people, and that they've always had some problems. But that's nothing to worry about of course, since all friends have issues sometimes. It's really no big deal in my opinion.

The people that write these articles tend to exaggerate, some to a rather extreme degree, just to become well known. You can't really believe what you read in them, especially when they are highly negative.

Oh, I have plenty of thoughts on this :P

You see, it was difficult to work out, because the schedules of each member kept failing to match up. And when the rest of the band was finally able to be together in a studio at once, Julian was out on his tour for his solo album. So they decided to do things without him. But also, Julian said he wanted to kind of back up and give the rest of the band some space, since he's difficult to work with at times because he holds very strong opinions on how the music should sound. He wanted to give the others a chance to contribute for the sake of the band's longevity. The band wasn't sued to working like this, so things were weird, but not miserable by any means, as far as I can tell from what they've said.

It's definitely true that they went through some rough times, due to several different factors, but Julian was said that they are "closer than ever" now, and I don't personally see any reason to believe otherwise. The other members have commented as well on the current good status of the band's relationship.

And yes, 10 years or so ago they did seem to be a lot closer, but they've said it was more of an act, or soemthing they thought they had to do for people, and that they've always had some problems. But that's nothing to worry about of course, since all friends have issues sometimes. It's really no big deal in my opinion.

The people that write these articles tend to exaggerate, some to a rather extreme degree, just to become well known. You can't really believe what you read in them, especially when they are highly negative.

:clap: I love when people are not suckers for music journalism, it warms my heart :wacky:. Not that I expected any less from you, Katie, but most of the people that I see writing on this subject just frustrate me.

The only thing I would add is that I think age and time together is a factor. When they were "closer than brothers," they were very young and pretty wild, it has to be said. They said they basically lived in each others' pockets for years straight, living together in various combinations while working together and touring together. That shit takes a significant toll on a relationship, band or otherwise. I think part of their maturing process has been to step back from all that and realise they needed to spend a bit of time apart to make sure they didn't implode. Yes, they had "problems," but bands are like families: they all have problems at some point, really. It's just a matter of whether or not it gets reported by people on the outside. They're simply different people now than they were in 2001, and their relationships with each other needed to change to match that. It's just the media is making it seem like it's for the worse, when really it's probably for the better and just more mature and therefore boring and therefore useless to write about.