✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing them three times this year, and I'm actually decently worried about it, and I have been in pits quite a few times. The crowds for these guys since their 2010 return to live performances have been fucking nuts, with all sorts of crazy stories. I don't know if I'm making them out to be more intense-sounding than they actually are, but I'm worried about how I'll manage Coachella and Oxegen (Sweetlife Fest in DC to a lesser extent...smaller venue, and the festival is run by salad-makers, for God's sake). As much as I can totally stand a little pushing and shoving, I'll have been waiting without food or water or bathrooms all day, and in the blistering heat at Coachella as well, and by the time the dramatics start I'll be in a weakened state. I really don't want to get pulled out and have all my time waiting wasted...especially at Oxegen, because I'll miss being at the front for Coldplay as well, which I know I can 100% handle :uhoh:

if you go back 10 or 15 pages you'll find Lizzy's (whatever happened to her?) story from isle of wight i think it is, she had one helluva of a scary experience. and i'm not sure if standing in the californian desert all day without food or water is a good idea......i'm sure you can get very close without putting yourself in that situation. but i've never been to a festival as big as coachella before.

if you go back 10 or 15 pages you'll find Lizzy's (whatever happened to her?) story from isle of wight i think it is, she had one helluva of a scary experience. and i'm not sure if standing in the californian desert all day without food or water is a good idea......i'm sure you can get very close without putting yourself in that situation. but i've never been to a festival as big as coachella before.

I'm exaggerating a bit--I will be sneaking in things like granola bars, and before going to the stage once the gates open, I will make sure my friend and I stock up on multiple bottles of water to keep in our bags to keep us going all day. I'm more worried about bathrooms, haha. And like, being uncomfortable, since I'm really not a hot-weather person, but I can put up with that.

But thank you for your concern :). I know I'm going to be both smart and determined. I'm more worried about the intensity of the crowd swallowing me because I'm a little person. As bad as the reports have been, though, I know I'm not going to give up easy, though. I will cut a bitch if need be :P

It's interesting to note how nuts the crowds have been, though. It's like Beatlemania or something. When I saw them earlier than this era, the crowds were very normal. Now it's legitimately dangerous. I think their hiatus and return has made them a bit more...mythic or something to people, and they're ready to claw out eyes to see them.

^Surely this news isn't a huge deal, since bands say that a lot, but it's still really exciting to me :wacky: The thought of another Strokes album in 2012 or 2013....wow.

I'm beginning to "get" Angles now. My favorite songs are Taken For A Fool and LIfe Is Simple In The Moonlight.

I have a question..I just became obsessed with the Strokes..I love them.

What's with them always looking miserable?/Also they were on Letterman the other night and everyone on youtube said Julian was in a really bad mood,because he didnt sing well and Dave had to tell him to calm down.Did anyone see the performance.

Anywhere I could read some stuff about them??Books,etc

What's with them always looking miserable?/Also they were on Letterman the other night and everyone on youtube said Julian was in a really bad mood,because he didnt sing well and Dave had to tell him to calm down.Did anyone see the performance.

thats just their "look"

here is an interesting view on why these "hip" bands dont like to smile

There are plenty of times when they look happy performing, it's just that they're very serious about what they do. Especially Julian, who is kind of known for being hard on himself. It's not really that they're upset though, they're just very focused.

Julian was visibly happy when they performed on SNL though.

As was said above, I think that's just how they are a lot of times, especially in the later years. Julian was actually more animated there than he has been in a long time, if you ask me. I think nerves play a big factor, especially for Julian. Nick looked particularly weird to me in that performance, like in some sort of weird trance, but hey, people have bad days. Maybe his creepy beardy thing is affecting his mood.

There aren't really any good things to read on them that are "about" them. There was one unofficial biography written on them, coincidentally written by the same guy who wrote an unofficial Coldplay biography, but it's out of print, and unofficial biographies are always iffy anyway.

I'd say start of with the Wikipedias for the band and the members if you just want to know about them, but fangirls edit them a lot and write ridiculous things. And even though I have a love/hate relationship with the music press, articles and interviews are pretty much the best way to learn about them, I hate to say. If you go here, there's a great collection of some of the old ones. It's certainly not all of them, but it's most of the big ones that have been written about them. This one is my favorite. This one is also one of my favorites, even though I think it's very exaggerated...I mostly like it because it's funny. There are great video interviews on YouTube if you poke around.

However, if you've never seen it, you really, really need to see [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gHx7UPasg]In Transit.[/ame] That's just a link to the first part of four, but the other parts should be on the side. It's a 40-minute tour diary thing they made themselves in June 2001 during their first UK/European tour, and it's infamous and highly quoted in the Strokes fandom. Now that that they're older and more sober and all sorts of things, they're not exactly that goofy and insane anymore, but it's a cool way to see where they come from etc.