✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

nice thread to read in and on...I was crying hard one day when I watched their live via local TV channel after several silent years as if it is from another time/space...and another day, Clocks coming out of a street shop suddenly, quite loud, my heart like, stopping for a second. I feel there is a soul connection with the band...being soulful doesn't always mean being intense or struggling, I guess.

Great post and all crucial points. I cannot urge people enough to go out there and try to discover artists who could potentially change your life more so than Coldplay ever could. I was always lucky in that my life was consumed by other bands before getting into Coldplay, namely Pink floyd, U2 and Anathema. So the whole transition from obsession to total apathy and detachment has been easier for me. Not that easy since it took a long time but it did happen. Coldplay's music happens to be emotionally infectious which I believe is the sole reason why people are sill around.

I also like the fact I allow myself to read and analyze a lot of what the more genuine and professional critics say about their music, which further reinforce your own critique of the band, because they're mostly right.

But this is all life's natural course obviously. Evolution of sound and your own tastes. OR, it could just be that your favorite band is now making crap music!

I agree. I just recently discovered a little indie band called Racing Glaciers that quickly moved up into my list of favorite bands. They certainly won't replace Coldplay should I ever decide to leave them behind, but they've certainly helped :P As much as anyone loves any band or musician, they shouldn't be the only thing you ever listen to!

But this is all life's natural course obviously. Evolution of sound and your own tastes. OR, it could just be that your favorite band is now making crap music!

Music is so subjective. It's all about ~perspective~

Crappy music to one may be fantastic music to another. Like how people love EDM these days and I'm like GET OUTTTTTTTT!!!!!

I could imagine detaching myself from listening to anything Coldplay puts out in the future, but I could not imagine ever parting with their Oldplay Era songs. I am just so emotionally attached to them, they got me through difficult times, and they will in the future always be a part of a time when I was young, which is another thing that makes them special.

Also, I tried to discover other bands etc. But I found of every other artist, I ever only like 2-3 songs of the entire discography maximum. That's what's so unique about Coldplay ! They are the only band from which I found myself loving more than just a few songs.

The Oldplay melodies, they are unique. No one is gonna replace them anytime soon. And even if Coldplay decides tomorrow to entirely switch to putting out EDM music accompanied with videos of semi-nude girls dancing around Chris who starts singing about butts, I will still love their Oldplay songs (even if I may not mention Coldplay to anyone anymore then :D).

I also like the fact I allow myself to read and analyze a lot of what the more genuine and professional critics say about their music, which further reinforce your own critique of the band, because they're mostly right.

Sorry, I have to disagree there. It was those damned professional critics who never understood the masterpiece that X&Y was and ripped it into pieces, thereby pushing Coldplay towards a radical change in their sound. They are in part responsible for the Coldplay sound we have now.

• Like 1

I could imagine detaching myself from listening to anything Coldplay puts out in the future, but I could not imagine ever parting with their Oldplay Era songs. I am just so emotionally attached to them, they got me through difficult times, and they will in the future always be a part of a time when I was young, which is another thing that makes them special.

Also, I tried to discover other bands etc. But I found of every other artist, I ever only like 2-3 songs of the entire discography maximum. That's what's so unique about Coldplay ! They are the only band from which I found myself loving more than just a few songs.

The Oldplay melodies, they are unique. No one is gonna replace them anytime soon. And even if Coldplay decides tomorrow to entirely switch to putting out EDM music accompanied with videos of semi-nude girls dancing around Chris who starts singing about butts, I will still love their Oldplay songs (even if I may not mention Coldplay to anyone anymore then :D).

Sorry, I have to disagree there. It was those damned professional critics who never understood the masterpiece that X&Y was and ripped it into pieces, thereby pushing Coldplay towards a radical change in their sound. They are in part responsible for the Coldplay sound we have now.

I thought I was alone in this! There are a few other artists (Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, U2, Muse, Oasis) that I can buy whole albums of and not be constantly skipping tracks, but Coldplay is the only artist I can do that with consistently.

Me too! The only band that actually caught footing for me was Keane.....but even then, they come nowhere near as close as Coldplay....

nvdmm[/b];5741407]I also like the fact I allow myself to read and analyze a lot of what the more genuine and professional critics say about their music' date=' which further reinforce your own critique of the band, because they're mostly right.[/quote']

Critics can be as professional as they want, in the end you gotta listen to the song and decide for yourself if you like it or not.

If critics were to say "Man, this strawberry cake tasted fucking horrible, because I hate strawberries!" well damn, should I try it or not? Who knows how strawberries taste like, maybe I like them? :surprised:

is allllllllllll about individual preferences, so who gives a flying fuck about critics LOL

• Like 1

^ I will never comprehend how MX is best-scoring Coldplay album on Pitchfork or whatever that site is called :facepalm:

I mean, it's perfectly fine if that's your personal favorite from Coldplay, but the fact that they gave their first four albums a rather low score just makes me go "wut"

Pitchfork media is a complete farce. Don't put any stock into anything they write it's complete nonsense the majority of the time.

No, I wouldn't think so. The hate for MX is unparalleled (and rightly so) and X&Y is a fan favorite from what I've observed.

It's just that whenever I see MX rank higher than X&Y by fans and critics, i just ask myself how is it better? Different sounds for different fans, i guess.

^ The main complaint I've heard about X&Y (and a complaint that I share) is that there are actually too many songs on it. It's a little bloated and therefor none of the songs get a chance to shine. Other than that it seems pretty loved

Yeah, i've heard that that fans hate that the album is too long.

What stuns me is the fact that most fans like MX more than x&y.

I have no idea about the absolute numbers (I hope not !!!) but this may well be a generational thing. Many of today's teens have no idea about the previous works of Coldplay, other than perhaps Clocks and Viva La Vida. For them, Coldplay is that larger-than-life colourful pop band that they became with MX and may resume being with AHFOD, as I fear.

X&Y is the most misunderstood and underrated of all Coldplay albums. I wish one day people will come to recognize how good it really is.

Just to make it clear, I do believe AROBTTH has the better flow as an album. But X&Y has overall got the better tunes. Yeah, it might be a little bit too long, I have a tendency to terminate listening either after The Hardest Part or Twisted Logic.

I have no idea about the absolute numbers (I hope not !!!) but this may well be a generational thing. Many of today's teens have no idea about the previous works of Coldplay, other than perhaps Clocks and Viva La Vida. For them, Coldplay is that larger-than-life colourful pop band that they became with MX and may resume being with AHFOD, as I fear.

X&Y is the most misunderstood and underrated of all Coldplay albums. I wish one day people will come to recognize how good it really is.

Yeah, that's true. Coldplay got A LOT more fans after the release of viva la vida.