✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Here is one more treat for Oldplayers:

[video=youtube;jYGjmriZ6a0]

Bigger Stronger is such an underrated song. It has so much atmosphere and Jonny's guitar work is as usual awesome.

their sound in Bigger Stronger is fantastic, especially Jonny with his powerful and shimmering sound

Here is one more treat for Oldplayers:

[video=youtube;jYGjmriZ6a0]

Bigger Stronger is such an underrated song. It has so much atmosphere and Jonny's guitar work is as usual awesome.

Awesome!One of their greatly underrated song...

Me too but It's almost impossible to get a real, genuine copy. It's like the holy grail.

Yeah, the last time I checked ebay, there were a few.....one looked pretty legit (even had Chris' handwriting on it), but you never know....

I'm just like ahfod will be the end of the CP we have known, I'm expecting a huge amount of "not so good" songs. Am I the only one? I ask this here because I know there's people in this place who can understand my fears

Given Coldplay's direction post-Viva, which for me has been a continuous downward trend, my expectations for AHFOD are very low. But, since every Coldplay album had at least one really great song (in GS, it was Ghost Story) for me, I am looking forward to this one song. And of course I will listen to the album on Youtube and give it a try.

I believe the "CP we have known" really ended with Mylo Xyloto, to be honest. The four of them and especially Chris, whose life has altered more drastically than that of his bandmates, simply have changed over time and there is no turning back.

"How often people change, no two remain the same..." :)

• Like 1

^ That's a very understanding/ accepting view of the band... It'll hold you in good stead as they continue to evolve and change through the years. :) My biggest fear for them is if they lose their spark / desire to make music together - that might signal the end of the band although I think they'll continue to be involved with each other's lives in other ways... My other fear is if they lose their 'perfectionist' tendencies - they will then slide into mediocrity as their constant striving is what enables them to produce beautiful and emotionally honest songs that connects them to the masses but at the same time elevates them from their peers.

Given Coldplay's direction post-Viva, which for me has been a continuous downward trend, my expectations for AHFOD are very low. But, since every Coldplay album had at least one really great song (in GS, it was Ghost Story) for me, I am looking forward to this one song. And of course I will listen to the album on Youtube and give it a try.

I believe the "CP we have known" really ended with Mylo Xyloto, to be honest. The four of them and especially Chris, whose life has altered more drastically than that of his bandmates, simply have changed over time and there is no turning back.

"How often people change, no two remain the same..." :)

We've already said this some pages ago, and I agree with you. My statement is slightly different, we can put it in this way: Oldplay ends with Christmas Lights, Coldplay with Ghost Stories. Now my fear is that they're becoming the new Maroon 5 and they will be remembered only for this part of career

I'm just like ahfod will be the end of the CP we have known, I'm expecting a huge amount of "not so good" songs. Am I the only one? I ask this here because I know there's people in this place who can understand my fears

It has already happened. You have to remember this has been a very gradual process and it began right around when they were working on VLV. All bands' erosion and descent into irrelevance is a continuous degradation and not a sudden change in sound or style. But some manage to bounce back and go on to make even better records. Unfortunately, Coldplay isn't one of them.

I obviously haven't heard any of the new songs but I don't have to if I were to conclude how it might and will sound. I already know I'm gonna fucking hate it. The clothes, Amazing Day, the video shoot in India, the artwork poster, the name of the album, the band's comments and Chris's personal state of mind all provide us with enough hints as to what to expect.

Generally speaking my personal preference is for the band to call it quits after AHFOD while some of their dignity is still intact. But I very much doubt that's going to happen. Another option would be to take a 5 or 6 year hiatus, but that wouldn't necessarily result in a better output years later.

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread ===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV===

The album is probably going to be really poppy, with quite a few edm songs and perhaps even a collaboration with Rihanna/Avicii etc.. 'Not so good' is based on perspective I guess.Whatever comes out I'll just enjoy it and take it probably as it would probably contain some decent songs or B-Sides.

(I actually think Amazing Day is a good song)

Good points, but shouldn't this be discussed in the AHFOD thread?

I also remembering a post either by CPing or not that Chris wanted the album to have a more pop feel, which absolutely destroyed my hopes of a good comeback, and all I could imagine was myself in the future having it in my iTunes library but never listening to it [emoji28]

It has already happened. You have to remember this has been a very gradual process and it began right around when they were working on VLV. All bands' erosion and descent into irrelevance is a continuous degradation and not a sudden change in sound or style. But some manage to bounce back and go on to make even better records. Unfortunately, Coldplay isn't one of them.

I obviously haven't heard any of the new songs but I don't have to if I were to conclude how it might and will sound. I already know I'm gonna fucking hate it. The clothes, Amazing Day, the video shoot in India, the artwork poster, the name of the album, the band's comments and Chris's personal state of mind all provide us with enough hints as to what to expect.

Generally speaking my personal preference is for the band to call it quits after AHFOD while some of their dignity is still intact. But I very much doubt that's going to happen. Another option would be to take a 5 or 6 year hiatus, but that wouldn't necessarily result in a better output years later.

I agree with this post in that chances of a significant improvement are very slim indeed. I hope they go on hiatus afterwards, but then their comeback had better be good, otherwise they will forever be known for that mediocre output.

I had a really bad day today due to financial worries which my mind kept going back to. And all day the lyrics and melody of Harmless were stuck in my head, even though I hadn't listened to the song in a while. "If you call and call...your self-esteem is low...and I heard you call....is like a crystal....and I heard you say...I got to get away...I'm on a succumb trail...as clear as crystal..." I finally listened to the song just in order to get it out of my head.

I've only appreciated today how absolutely sad the song is (although in a very Coldplay way with a spark of hope at the end - "I know you'll get through").

I believe the verses of Harmless truly are the soundtrack of depression and despair. Sadness in its pure form. What an underrated gem. To think that this was not even released as a B-side makes me severaly doubt their musical judgement. I wonder what other gems are forever buried in their records.

^Add "Trouble" to that list (of songs of depression / despair)... My personal opinion is that almost all of their songs do reach a certain "standard" musically / production-wise, particularly their early output (maybe except Ode to Deodorant)... The thing I've noticed over time is people have an emotional connection / judge them as good / not so good often based on their own personal development / state of mind - at least up til MX anyway. GS is quite uneven quality-wise in my judgement, but again I may find later on that it's just I have not reached that emotional space yet. The "Oldplay" albums tend to reach out to more depressed states of mind, whereas the "Newplay" ones I think speak to a more upbeat / happy / at peace world view...

@I ran away, I sincerely hope your worries resolve themselves and melt away soon... will send happy thoughts your way :) :heart:

• Like 1

Yes, that is right. I have a very personal connection to Trouble, too. And you're also spot on about their early output. Their pre-Parachutes EPs are very underrated; even if they may not have the best sound quality they transport this feeling of melancholy and wistfulness so well. Unlike Radiohead, whose music often has no room for hope, Coldplay always had this little spark of hope in their songs which make them very soothing/healing.

As opposed to you who saw Coldplay evolve in real-time, I listened to and built my connections only as of 2011 onwards. So that nostalgia feeling (certain albums that represented a certain time in your life) may be yet to come for me.

Thanks, I also hope that better times will come... :)