✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Man listening to X&Y era shows makes it so clear that Chris's voice was in peak condition. So many tiny little things about it make it so great.

You can still hear bits of that in his voice in recent years (listen to his falsetto in Midnight!), but I do think his voice was at its peak from about 2002 to 2006. He still has his awesome moments in certain songs, but his voice is definitely not as strong as it once was.

• Like 2

You can still hear bits of that in his voice in recent years (listen to his falsetto in Midnight!), but I do think his voice was at its peak from about 2002 to 2006. He still has his awesome moments in certain songs, but his voice is definitely not as strong as it once was.

I agree, sometimes you have to close your eyes and imagine the Chris from that era to see if it matches up lol. His Life on Mars cover on the Howard Stern show was pretty excellent, he also in my opinion tries much harder when they do covers, probably because he respects the artist and their music more than he does the own bands, which could be a product of two decades of light self-deprecation. But there are some bits of his voice that have changed, maybe not gotten worse but things like how nasally certain syllables are when he sings them and stuff.

• Like 5

I agree, sometimes you have to close your eyes and imagine the Chris from that era to see if it matches up lol. His Life on Mars cover on the Howard Stern show was pretty excellent, he also in my opinion tries much harder when they do covers, probably because he respects the artist and their music more than he does the own bands, which could be a product of two decades of light self-deprecation. But there are some bits of his voice that have changed, maybe not gotten worse but things like how nasally certain syllables are when he sings them and stuff.

seems to be a product of his speaking accent changing over time, too. that and in a lot of earlier songs he sings with less confidence which i think somehow makes him sound the way people tend to favor :shrug:

there are times now when he still sounds like he did back then, but there are definitely times from the X&Y era where he sounds like he does now imo, especially trying to hit that falsetto :P

• Like 1

Hey guys. I'm back! Well sort of...for a few days. Before I go into another year-long hibernation I thought I should post my initial review of AHFOD that I never posted. I intended to update it as the months passed by but honestly you don't want to know what I think about it now. Lets just say I don't even think of it. This album aged worse than a prostitute's p****!

1. A Head Full of Dreams: I know U2’s entire discography by heart and I can report the sole reason it reminds non-U2 fans of U2 is because of Jonny’s obsession to sound like The Edge. This is in no way similar to anything U2 would ever release on an album. Not a great song and it doesn’t serve its purpose well as an opening track because it’s void of any real surge or edge. The instrumentation lacks, they’re using electronic drums from the get-go, the melody isn’t very memorable, there are more layers on it than what Americans call “pizza”, and I’m sorry but when are they going to stop with the ooooooh aaaaaahs? I know they like to use them frequently but half the damn song is consumed by the silly nonsense. Fails even in comparison to HLH. 3/10

2. Birds: The most original and creative track on the record and one of the very few great songs released since VLV. I think it’ll become a Coldplay classis and one fans will admire for a very long time. Everything is almost perfect, but the use of electronic drums is really frustrating and once again hampers what could have been an even better track. 8/10

3. Hymn for the Weekend: Chris Martin trying to “get daan wid da hood”. The lyrics are atrocious and the inclusion of Beyoncé doesn’t improve anything because contrary to what people believe her vocals are average at best, compared to Adele or Amy Lee for instance. The production couldn’t be messier and there is no significant input from other band members. Terrible song. 1/10

4. Everglow: I was wrong to let my initial skepticism cloud my judgment when I first heard this song. I now think it’s one of the better tracks on the album. It’s a haunting well structured ballad with great contribution from all members. But unlike their similar work in the past it’s not as emotionally charged as it should be, and so you’re left feeling underwhelmed. And yet again more fake drums. 5/10

5. Adventure of a Lifetime: Not much to say here! Middle-of-the-road charts music that is as interesting as staring at your own shit. I’m thinking Will has left the studio by this point. Whooohooooooos still going strong! 2/10

6. Fun: There is nothing remotely inspirational or challenging about this song. It’s neither beautiful nor interesting. I absolutely don’t have a problem with pop music but for something to be at least bearable it needs to deploy some form of originality or creativity, and there’s none of it here. And even more ‘whoohoos’ and fake drums at work. Possibly the most boring and trite piece of music they’ve ever written. 3/10

7. Kaleidoscope: Almost the best moment on “A Head Full of Dreams”. I could have a whole album of “Kaleidoscope” and “Postcards from Far Away”. Coldplay are true masters of this. We all know Chris is unbelievably capable at writing beautifully haunting piano, and to have Coleman Barks accompanying it with his amazing voice reciting Rumi is just out of this world. I’m reminded after all Coldplay CAN make mature music. Unfortunately Obama then kicks in and I’m reminded that Chris is an idiot. This would have been a 10/10 without the murderous scum on it. 8/10

8. Army of One: This song just works for me, the same way Rainy Day does. I must have listened to it a lot more than the rest of the album but I still find it the most pleasant to listen to, so much so that I repeat it 2 or 3 times through every run of the album. I’m a sucker for Chris’s voice when he gets it right, and this song has by far his best vocals for a very long time and in fact reminds me of his voice during the first three records. The organ is majestic and beautiful and so is the melody. It is the only song on the entire album where Will is on proper drums through the whole song and I love Jonny and Guy’s subtle yet effective touches. It also has the best production on the album and the lyrics while not exceptional, work really well with the song. I could see why some would dismiss it as just another Coldplay ballad but I find it utterly beautiful. 9/10

X Marks The Spot: Let’s ignore personal bias and judge the song properly for what it’s trying to be, a kind of ‘bitch better have my money’ R&B fusion. The lyrics are as unimaginative and shallow as humanly possible. With the melody and production they’ve tried to shape it to sound like what you would normally expect from the genre, but they’ve failed. This is what someone with 4 hours of practice with Magix can create at home! Also, Chris Martin was never ever meant to rap and he sounds terribly out of place. Overall it feels like a middle-aged man trying to cover a song by one of those 12 year old YouTube superstars. Outright stupid. 0/10

9. Amazing Day: I’m exhausted by boredom by the time this song finishes. It is as banal and tedious as listening to someone snore for 4 minutes. It’s so forcibly positive and gooey it makes a Disney score sound like a shredding machine. I genuinely wonder if Chris Martin hypnotized the entire band into doing some of the stuff on this album. 3/10

10. Colour Spectrum: Colour Scrotum more like! If you can’t do M83, don’t do M83. 2/10

11. Up&Up: Apart from the production, fake drums, Merry Clayton’s barely audible vocals, the lyrics and exclusion of the piano, this is outstanding work. Except it isn’t you see! Those very reasons force me to skip the first three minutes of the song every time I listen to it and jump straight to Noel’s sublime work of genius. His presence alone saves the song. 7/10

Overall: 4.25/10

A Rush of Blood to the Head - 9.8/10

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends/Prospekt's March - 9/10

X&Y - 8.5/10

Parachutes - 8/10

Mylo Xyloto - 6.5/10

Ghost Stories - 5.5/10

A Head Full of Dreams - 4.25/10

• Like 3

Interesting and funny review, but I highly disagree with Fun, you can't deny the emotion put into that song and the beautiful sounds put into it. Sure the chord progression is one that's been absolutely beaten to death but if it sounds beautiful I don't care! This sounds MUCH better than most mainstream songs nowadays and is by no means "boring" or "trite". It's fairly unique when you look at what's popular nowadays.

BTW, about Obama, what's wrong with him? You rather Donald Drumpf be president?!?!!

Fun has a nice bridge, rest of it can bug off though.

I don't listen to the hits very much but I caught VLV on the radio today and I still really like it. You can tell especially with VLVODAAHF they had so much creativity and even though VLV is the mainstream hook of the album it's still damn good.

• Like 1

Also the kick drum in army of one is most certainly not a real one, Will playing a drum machine really hurts me on a deep level. He's been so good at finding the perfect way to drive a song with a real kit and now it feels like the songs have no life to them.

This really bug me. On Everglow is an example, using an electronic drum kit is such a lazy decision and that song deserves it's organic drums!!! Still a nice song though, or at least to me. Up&Up itself is a great song. Stargate COMPLETELY ruined it, every single bit of the song. That song needs to get re recorded by someone to be exactly like the first live play of the song so we can enjoy that in all of the great quality beauty I want it in!!!

That being said some songs deserve electronic drum beats, like Birds and Hymn For The Weekend. For both of those songs real drum kits simply wouldn't fit in for their style.

• Like 1

This really bug me. On Everglow is an example, using an electronic drum kit is such a lazy decision and that song deserves it's organic drums!!! Still a nice song though, or at least to me. Up&Up itself is a great song. Stargate COMPLETELY ruined it, every single bit of the song. That song needs to get re recorded by someone to be exactly like the first live play of the song so we can enjoy that in all of the great quality beauty I want it in!!!

That being said some songs deserve electronic drum beats, like Birds and Hymn For The Weekend. For both of those songs real drum kits simply wouldn't fit in for their style.

Yeah I almost wanted to revise myself but I figured everyone would know what I meant. Up&Up I 100% agree with, coming in with a drum machine in the first verse is so jarring. I also understand tracks like Midnight and the like wouldn't have come to fruition without a electric set but I don't agree with the percussion choices they've been making for most tracks.

• Like 1

Yeah I almost wanted to revise myself but I figured everyone would know what I meant. Up&Up I 100% agree with, coming in with a drum machine in the first verse is so jarring. I also understand tracks like Midnight and the like wouldn't have come to fruition without a electric set but I don't agree with the percussion choices they've been making for most tracks.

True. It seems lazy being used out of place like that!

^ IMO, that's one of the reasons Up&Up sounds so much better live. It sounds much more natural with just Chris and the piano. Plus the tone of the drums on the album is kind of weird? I know we go around in circles in this thread talking about how songs need more organic drums, but honestly Up&Up is one of the songs I think would benefit the most from that.

Also Lukas is gorgeous and if the guys had recorded it themselves it would be one of my faves <3 The instrumental alone is sublime

• Like 3

^ IMO, that's one of the reasons Up&Up sounds so much better live. It sounds much more natural with just Chris and the piano. Plus the tone of the drums on the album is kind of weird? I know we go around in circles in this thread talking about how songs need more organic drums, but honestly Up&Up is one of the songs I think would benefit the most from that.

Also Lukas is gorgeous and if the guys had recorded it themselves it would be one of my faves <3 The instrumental alone is sublime

True!

And even so, none of the recent live performances compare to the very first live performances. Don't know why Coldplay have to work with pop producer like Stargate to completely ruin a song like that and probably threw out some really nice ones that didn't make the album!

I miss when they worked with real producer such as Brian Eno And Jon Hopkins.

• Like 1

Well, the decision to get Stargate on board seems attached to the idea of creating hits for the current radio listeners. I like AOAL but sounds like something Maroon 5 or Imagine Dragons would do. And well, HFTW it's HFTW.

That's the thing. Before all of this Coldplay had their own unique sound that no one really truly sounded like,sure they did their alt rock and pop rock and stuff but they sounded like themselves more or less. (earlier earlier days count less, that's obviously similar to Radiohead :P) Their new music is still good in my opinion (not as much as before obviously) but it's starting to sound more and more like pop acts such as Maroon 5 and starting to blend in with what other pop bands can do if they try hard enough (which they actually normally don't!)

One comment on HFTW, I used to say it sounds exactly like any other song on the radio nowadays but I actually take that back, there's a few elements in their that give a unique flavor to this otherwise completely safe radio friendly track. The lyrics are obviously a joke and is the result of CM using religion as an excuse for the otherwise poor lyrics, but I mean they were tapping on glasses and using elements not really found in normal pop music. It has a bit of an exotic flavor, even if just a bit. I like that guitar thing Jonny does at the end of the song. This all being said it's still sounds like a track made for massive mainstream radio. (I personally like it but artistically there's much better stuff out there, and I can admit that!)

^ If nothing else, it has a killer bassline :P

And I would actually disagree that AoaL sounds like "other pop acts." I mean, sure, it definitely leans more toward the pop side of the spectrum than the rock side, but to me AoaL is one of the more older era Coldplay-ish sounding songs on the whole album. You've got Jonny's riff for one, and there are a few good lyrics scattered here and there. Personally, I would rank HftW, Fun, Amazing Day, and Everglow as more likely to be put out by a Top 40 artist than I would AoaL :shrug:

• Like 1

^ If nothing else, it has a killer bassline :P

And I would actually disagree that AoaL sounds like "other pop acts." I mean, sure, it definitely leans more toward the pop side of the spectrum than the rock side, but to me AoaL is one of the more older era Coldplay-ish sounding songs on the whole album. You've got Jonny's riff for one, and there are a few good lyrics scattered here and there. Personally, I would rank HftW, Fun, Amazing Day, and Everglow as more likely to be put out by a Top 40 artist than I would AoaL :shrug:

Now, sorry if I actually did say this before but I don't remember specifically saying AOAL sounds like other pop acts. I said it only started to get closer to resembling the sound of other pop acts. And you're right. Maybe I did get a little carried away, there are numerous elements in AOAL that make it stand out from the rest of the mainstream radio nowadays, I mean it actually has a real electric guitar, I thought everyone forgot about those by now!!! :P It is an enjoyable and fun song, and you're right it almost does sound like a mix of the older Coldplay kind of style in that way plus a new flavor of catchiness layered on to it. It's a nice song, lots of people complain about the vocal chops by Stargate. I personally don't mind, I think they might even add to the song but I can definetely see why some people would have a problem with it! The other version of AOAL is what would have been really nice for Coldplay to release, I mean the album version obviously does fit more in the album but the person who did that should try remaking the whole album, it would probably be a bit better then the original product. :)

Now, sorry if I actually did say this before but I don't remember specifically saying AOAL sounds like other pop acts. I said it only started to get closer to resembling the sound of other pop acts. And you're right. Maybe I did get a little carried away, there are numerous elements in AOAL that make it stand out from the rest of the mainstream radio nowadays, I mean it actually has a real electric guitar, I thought everyone forgot about those by now!!! :P It is an enjoyable and fun song, and you're right it almost does sound like a mix of the older Coldplay kind of style in that way plus a new flavor of catchiness layered on to it. It's a nice song, lots of people complain about the vocal chops by Stargate. I personally don't mind, I think they might even add to the song but I can definetely see why some people would have a problem with it! The other version of AOAL is what would have been really nice for Coldplay to release, I mean the album version obviously does fit more in the album but the person who did that should try remaking the whole album, it would probably be a bit better then the original product. :)

Ah, my mistake. I think I was combining your comment with the one you replied to and wound up with some strange hybrid of the two :P

I'm one of those people who doesn't like those chopped-up vocal bits. I remember when we got the first teaser, right where the song cut off it sounded like it was going to explode into this massive jam session like Glass of Water. Hearing what it actually turned out to be was a little disappointing :laugh3: I do like the song otherwise though!

Unrelated: The Goldrush came up on my playlist earlier. I listened to it three or four times through because it's just so lovely. Can we please have happy-sounding songs like that again instead of ones like HftW?

• Like 3

Ah, my mistake. I think I was combining your comment with the one you replied to and wound up with some strange hybrid of the two :P

I'm one of those people who doesn't like those chopped-up vocal bits. I remember when we got the first teaser, right where the song cut off it sounded like it was going to explode into this massive jam session like Glass of Water. Hearing what it actually turned out to be was a little disappointing :laugh3: I do like the song otherwise though!

Unrelated: The Goldrush came up on my playlist earlier. I listened to it three or four times through because it's just so lovely. Can we please have happy-sounding songs like that again instead of ones like HftW?

Lol that's okay :D

I thought the same way with the teaser, I thought everyone did. Then it just didn't take off as much as I'd had hoped for. That's the thing, I really love Mylo Xyloto because the songs just truly blow up to extensive proportions, while the ones on AHFOD seem... surpressed. I don't know what it is. Feels watered down. Mylo had more of a rock feel to it, and better production than AHFOD. Army Of One especially makes me mad, make the song blow up, don't bury those organs under everything else, it makes it sound really weak compared to what it should be!! People are drawing connections with it and Paradise, and really they are similar sort of kind of, but the difference is Paradise doesn't freaking hold back on everything, everything in that song is just so perfect, it's a perfect example of a pop rock song, I love it!! I still really do like the song though. But like.. seriously? I swear I'm hearing auto-tune in there. I'm not talking about the vocal chops, near the end of the song where he says "army of one" the "one" sounds super autotune, well not super autotune, it's not too too noticable but it just sounds too clean and perfect to be organic... and I mean there's different styles of autotune, they try to hide it there, while for example in something like "I Gotta Feeling" you actually hear the pitch shifting and all that which actually makes sense in an electronically driven song such as that one. While for more organic songs like this, you should be able to actually sing the notes and not have pitch manipulation software do it for you because you're too lazy. I'm not completely against autotune, just when it's solely used because a singer can't freaking sing the notes right. Back in the day you had to be good to actually sing... now here we are with Jacob Sartorius using more autotune then GLaDOS in the Portal games. :laugh3:

I personally like HFTW even though I can admit it was probably somewhat made from a desire to earn big money seeing with all the R&B elements and Beyonce and all that stuff. I'm not too big of a fan of Goldrush (though I still do enjoy and appreciate it, don't worry :D) but I would love to see Coldplay doing some more of that in the future. Heck, you never know, Stargate may have denied really good songs like that, and used XMTS instead. :laugh3: (I don't think that song should have gone completely unreleased though. More B-side material, which leads into my next point...)

B-Sides! I am so mad! Why are there no B-sides! Viva had tons of them, tons of unreleased songs and even a full EP more of songs, and at that a long EP! And then you got the demos and the other B-sides and this and that and wow! I can say the Viva era was outstanding for the amount of songs there were... you had 2 more album's worth in that era! Things were really good in that era, they thought of different styles of songs and this and that... now we have an album that personally I like but isn't too too unique.. I mean it is unique of course, but it sounds much more like a pop album more artists could do than Viva. Ever since Mylo there has been a lack of B sides compared to past eras. That's one thing I don't particularly like about the MX era, there are tons of song names we know but half of them we don't even know what they sound like! And with GS there's less songs we know about that era then we've heard from the Viva era! I wish one day they'd just release every single song they've conceived.... that would be nice for near the end of their career now wouldn't it, a special gift for us Coldplay fans!

One more comment, I remember reading somewhere that Chris would give his left ball to right anything as good as OK Computer. I can tell ya one thing for sure: you aren't going to do it by collabing with big name pop artists and making an album full of Stargate's glossy production and whoohoo's everywhere. Look, there is a time and place for that stuff but do like only a few albums maybe. Hopefully they'll be shifting gears moving forward and LP8 will be that one thing we've all looked forward to for a while now... :D

• Like 2

^ I know what you mean by everything feels more subdued. I'm not a big fan of MX, but I will agree that 1) it does a good job, for the most part, of giving you that "big" ending and 2) It does a good job of straddling the line between pop and rock. Really, get rid of PoC, swap out UiF with MtM, and brush up the lyrics on some of the other songs and it could have been a more-worthy successor to Viva. (GLaDoS is my fave, btw. So sassy, so evil. I love her)

I've always been of the opinion that some of Coldplay's best songs were the ones that were never released on an album. I love me some Violet Hill, ARoBttH, Don't Panic, and White Shadows, but then for those same eras you also have Bloodless Revolution (:dazzled:), Animals, HiRtC, and HYStW. Like, just let each of the guys pick their favorite song that didn't make it on that era's album and release them as a b-side compilation, or something :P This is the first era where we've gotten exactly zero b-sides/extra songs and it makes me sad. Moving to Mars, Ghost Story, and All Your Friends are proof to me that Chris hasn't lost his lyrical touch--give us one of those for this era!

I'm pulling for LP8 to be an ambient album :nod: We're all fed up with pop, and apparently the guys are done with rock--time to move on to something else. #bringbackenoandhopkins

• Like 2

^ I know what you mean by everything feels more subdued. I'm not a big fan of MX, but I will agree that 1) it does a good job, for the most part, of giving you that "big" ending and 2) It does a good job of straddling the line between pop and rock. Really, get rid of PoC, swap out UiF with MtM, and brush up the lyrics on some of the other songs and it could have been a more-worthy successor to Viva. (GLaDoS is my fave, btw. So sassy, so evil. I love her)

I've always been of the opinion that some of Coldplay's best songs were the ones that were never released on an album. I love me some Violet Hill, ARoBttH, Don't Panic, and White Shadows, but then for those same eras you also have Bloodless Revolution (:dazzled:), Animals, HiRtC, and HYStW. Like, just let each of the guys pick their favorite song that didn't make it on that era's album and release them as a b-side compilation, or something :P This is the first era where we've gotten exactly zero b-sides/extra songs and it makes me sad. Moving to Mars, Ghost Story, and All Your Friends are proof to me that Chris hasn't lost his lyrical touch--give us one of those for this era!

I'm pulling for LP8 to be an ambient album :nod: We're all fed up with pop, and apparently the guys are done with rock--time to move on to something else. #bringbackenoandhopkins

Interesting thoughts! I've noticed that with the release of AHFOD lots of Oldplayers started to see what MX truly had to offer (although obviously not like it more than the real Oldplay content.) Personally MX for me was the perfect example of a pop/rock album, since I tend to like that style of music from 2011/12 that kind of resembles and fits in with MX (even though MX is still quite unique in a way.) GS IMO was pretty good too,, but not as good and starting to get a little far into the pop scene, and AHFOD is still good just for me but is starting to worry me that if this pop thing goes any further things could be bad.

And I mean all of you must have been soooooooo excited for GS with the additional songs that came before being really good, and then you know, you got GS which I guarantee most of you dislike here... must have been a great disappointment compared to what you were expecting. Same with AHFOD, we got really carried away and were daydreaming about really diverse influences when we saw those pics from India, and then we got AHFOD, and HFTW.... (even though I personally do like that song)

And I also agree that some of their best songs are non album songs. Bloodless Revolution is amazing. Not a big fan of Animals although I completely agree with the theme of it!!!! Which is why I still can like it. The intro is really nice. HiRtC is a nice song as is HYSTW. But the non album song I really really like is Gravity. Like, why did they throw the title track on their but throw away Gravity!! And give it away to a band that completely ruined the original vibe the original song was going for!! That still makes me mad to this day. Some of my other faves from non album are Prospekt's March/Poppyfields. Things I dont understand, Proof, Moving to Mars, Gone But Not F. Cotton...

I don't know if we'll ever get a B-side or unreleased song from this era. Really I actually consider Gone But Not F. Cotton to be one of them because it slightly resembles the style of music on AHFOD, just more melancholic and less poppy. It would have been even better if more songs like this were on the album. But other than that I'd really like to see an unreleased song/B-Side from this era. I mean I suppose it isn't necessarily the thing to do in pop music apparently nowadays. But I wish I was there for the Viva days where we had like 2 more albums worth of content from that era besides the album itself! And I mean, look at Radiohead. The number of songs they have non-album is absolutely insane, or at least I'm guessing, I actually don't know a lot about that though, just going off of what I know. Wish that was the case with Coldplay... oh well, quality over quantity I guess. Even though that isn't the case with AHFOD... to lots of people it's low quality, low quantity, and vice versa for Viva: high quality, high quantity.

As for LP8 being an ambient album that would be so cool. I'd love to see Coldplay step outside their comfort zone once more. They don't have to write these massive pop albums all the time! :P (It would still be great to have that "signature song" from that album though that gets really big.. I don't know how they're going to pull that off with ambient music when the rest of the people who follow mainstream music is completely oblivious to that. If they actually did manage to pull it off though that would be cool and I think would restore Coldplay's genuity. And if it had an impact on mainstream music that would be even better!! But in the end, that doesn't matter if we're going to get a really really good result in the end. Let us enjoy it and let the people who actually care about finding good music find the gem! :D)