✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Wow, I can't believe Such A Rush got sound checked as late as '05 AND Bigger Stronger in 2011?!! what?! I almost think that they don't even remember those old songs. Even though I didn't get to hear it, just knowing that they played it for themselves makes me happy to imagine them.

That's kind of what I thought back in November when they played Sparks on the night of the terror attacks in Paris... :( Of course I was devastated but it did manage to put a smile on my face when I was watching the livestream and they started playing that really old song.

I want to request a song for the tour but

A. I am so shy and embarrassed to make a video

B. I don't know what song to request, Don't Panic is one of my all time favorites, but I know people have been saying it's already been a few times on the tour. And I would want the chance to get them to play something that hasn't been played in a while Maybe A Warning Sign or something off X&Y

Don't be embarrassed!!! And if you want to request a song, I do think that you'll have a better chance if it's something they tend to choose a lot (like Don't Panic, In My Place, or Trouble). But at least Warning Sign is a song that they don't appear to dislike (unlike a lot of X&Y), so maybe you could try that one? Or if you really want something from X&Y, they've played Til Kingdom Come a bunch so that would be the safest option.

Best of luck if you do end up making a video. :)

That's kind of what I thought back in November when they played Sparks on the night of the terror attacks in Paris... :( Of course I was devastated but it did manage to put a smile on my face when I was watching the livestream and they started playing that really old song.

Don't be embarrassed!!! And if you want to request a song, I do think that you'll have a better chance if it's something they tend to choose a lot (like Don't Panic, In My Place, or Trouble). But at least Warning Sign is a song that they don't appear to dislike (unlike a lot of X&Y), so maybe you could try that one? Or if you really want something from X&Y, they've played Til Kingdom Come a bunch so that would be the safest option.

Best of luck if you do end up making a video. :)

I know what you mean about hearing Sparks getting played again.

Thanks!! I will try my best to get courage and make a video! It does make me sad though, that they don't really like most of X&Y when so many of us really do like that album! I love Til Kingdom Come but I wish I could hear Square One or an acoustic version of Speed of Sound.

• Like 1

How can one tell if a song is lip-synced?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Coldplaying mobile app

volume compared to closeness to the mic is also a good way to tell, i think. Chris when he's singing at a normal tone is usually right up on the mic, like the mic is in his mouth :P and then he'll move away when he does more shout-y bits and whatnot, but in the Glasto video in particular you can see that sometimes he's further away than he should be for the sound to come through so clear

but i'm not an expert in how microphones work, either :P

• Like 3

*emerges from the depths of college*

It's very odd to me why they've decided to lipsync Clocks, while there are several songs that seem more difficult that are being played entirely live. Like, why that song? Chris can't jump around and get out of breath since he's sitting at the piano, and there aren't any particularly high notes or long strings where he can't take a quick breath between words. Maybe they chose it precisely because it's easy to "fake," but again, why just that song?

I listened for it at the Tulsa show, and it was definitely the lipsynced version. It's still a powerhouse live, but I was just a little sad since Clocks is one of my favorites :(

• Like 4

Anyone remember Bloodless Revolution?

"Let's not rework this for the album, I have this song called X Marks The Spot instead!" :|

It is an actual crime that this was never formally released. I like it more than some of the songs on the actual album/Prospekt's March :lol:

I actually like the backing track on XMtS . . . but the lyrics are still trash

• Like 2

:heart:

Beautiful! :dazzled:

This will always be my favorite version of Moses. I wish I knew when and where it was recorded, but my best guess is that it was some time in 2002. Chris' voice is in top form and I honestly think that except for a small part earlier on when Jonny plays the wrong chords, it's even better than the version from Live 2003:

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why did this masterpiece not get put on a proper album?

• Like 4

it's got such a great piano riff :wacky:

It's gorgeous in every single part.

It's one of the few (maybe the only one) stories told by CP lyrics that doesn't end well. No hope for the future, just cynical

It's not in 4/4, it has a great arrangment, sonically refreshing, melodically entertaining...

In a word, all that's not newplay :lol:

• Like 3

Yes, Coldplay either puts their best stuff as B-sides (I Ran Away for example) or never releases it at all (A View from the Top, for example)

I think Ghost Stories underpins this more than anything. Ghost Story and AYF are the best songs Coldplay have produced since 2008.

Is it just me or is GS the most forgettable, unnecessary album Coldplay have ever produced? 2 albums in the space of a year and a half was ridiculous and left us having two sub-par albums.

If they had just taken the better songs from both sessions and made one album we would of had something a lot more refined and collected. I wouldn't go as far as saying VIVA 2.0 but it would have certainly been closer.

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Always In My Head

3. Midnight

4. AOAL

5. Magic

6. Oceans

7. Amazing Day

8. HFTW

9. Ghost Story

10. AYF

11. Up&Up

12. O (Hidden Track)

I am crazy in saying that would have been a much better album?!

• Like 2

I think Ghost Stories underpins this more than anything. Ghost Story and AYF are the best songs Coldplay have produced since 2008.

Is it just me or is GS the most forgettable, unnecessary album Coldplay have ever produced? 2 albums in the space of a year and a half was ridiculous and left us having two sub-par albums.

If they had just taken the better songs from both sessions and made one album we would of had something a lot more refined and collected. I wouldn't go as far as saying VIVA 2.0 but it would have certainly been closer.

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Always In My Head

3. Midnight

4. AOAL

5. Magic

6. Oceans

7. Amazing Day

8. HFTW

9. Ghost Story

10. AYF

11. Up&Up

12. O (Hidden Track)

that would make a good playlist for sure :surprised:

being the Coldplay addict i am, i'm glad they released two albums in such a short time span, but i do agree that GS is very forgettable for me as an album... i guess it feels more like an EP, but that might just be because of the length of time they spent touring and promoting it before going back to make AHFOD, rather than the quality of the music itself (though i guess those things are not mutually exclusive :P)

but i am definitely going to try listening to this combination of songs :escaping:

• Like 1

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Always In My Head

3. Midnight

4. AOAL

5. Magic

6. Oceans

7. Amazing Day

8. HFTW

9. Ghost Story

10. AYF

11. Up&Up

12. O (Hidden Track)

Hmm... when I look at the songs on an individual basis, I do think it would make a better album. However, that playlist doesn't really look like it would flow all that well from an emotional standpoint. I just can't see the joy and optimism of Amazing Day and HFTW being followed by a song like Ghost Story. I think it might work a bit better if we combine GS and AHFOD into one album in this way:

Ghost Stories side:

1. Always In My Head

2. Ghost Story

3. Midnight

4. Oceans

5. A Sky Full Of Stars

6. Fly On (with hidden track O)

A Head Full Of Dreams side:

7. Kaleidoscope

8. A Head Full Of Dreams (with The Great Dictator speech intro)

9. Birds

10. Everglow

11. Army Of One

12. Amazing Day

13. Up&Up

• Like 2

I think that GS is better than MX and AHFOD

If I had to pick songs to make a newplay album, I'd choose these:

MX/Hurts Like Heaven

Midnight

Birds

Atlas

Always In My Head

Ghost Stories

Major Minus

Oceans

All Your Friends

Up With The Birds

A Head Full Of Dreams

Moving To Mars (Hidden Track)

• Like 4

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Always In My Head

3. Midnight

4. AOAL

5. Magic

6. Oceans

7. Amazing Day

8. HFTW

9. Ghost Story

10. AYF

11. Up&Up

12. O (Hidden Track)

Hmm... when I look at the songs on an individual basis, I do think it would make a better album. However, that playlist doesn't really look like it would flow all that well from an emotional standpoint. I just can't see the joy and optimism of Amazing Day and HFTW being followed by a song like Ghost Story. I think it might work a bit better if we combine GS and AHFOD into one album in this way:

Ghost Stories side:

1. Always In My Head

2. Ghost Story

3. Midnight

4. Oceans

5. A Sky Full Of Stars

6. Fly On (with hidden track O)

A Head Full Of Dreams side:

7. Kaleidoscope

8. A Head Full Of Dreams (with The Great Dictator speech intro)

9. Birds

10. Everglow

11. Army Of One

12. Amazing Day

13. Up&Up

although the transition from O to Kaleidoscope to AHFOD is pretty cool (listened to it without the Great Dictator speech), i think @The Adversary has a better combination of songs going...

i did my own version as well with those songs, just replacing O with its Reprise because i find that version to be way more unsettling and that's the feel i was going for:

1. A Head Full Of Dreams

2. Adventure Of A Lifetime

3. Amazing Day

4. Hymn For The Weekend

5. Midnight

6. Magic

7. All Your Friends

8. O (Reprise)

9. Always In My Head

10. Ghost Story

11. Oceans

12. Up&Up

• Like 2

Ghost Stories strength to me was stringing the album together with the 4 tracks that to me were what the entire album should have tried to support, kind of like a pallet to follow when making a painting. I think each album has a pallet that the band tries to abide by because it's what makes albums feel complete. I remember Chris saying that VLV was an album they felt like they really finished 100% and I agree because it feels like it's their most concentrated effort to make an album feel consistent front to back. Anyways the songs in GS I'm talking about are, Always In My Head (one of their best songs ever in my opinion) - Midnight - Oceans - O. Magic is laid back enough that I think it can sink into the album but right after AIMH is a bit jarring. Ink just isn't my thing, I've come around on True Love enough to listen to it but it could just as easily been on AFHOD if you swapped the lyrics with something cheery. Midnight refocuses the album for me and Another's Arms is a good follow up but they went overboard on the effects. The moaning or sighing is a little much and eats up too much space and Chris's voice really didn't need to be played with as much as it was.

ASFOS was fun live but oh my god why did they make this they should have penned it as The Nappies.

Fly On/O is a good closer, bonus tracks are just tacked on which is fine but I don't consider it "part" of the album.

EDIT: when I talk about the sighing in AA, I mean during the verses, it kind of sounds like sighing but it's probably Jonny sliding on his guitar, the actual synth of the woman aaaaahing is pretty nice.

• Like 2