✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Yeah, it's a shame that all these old songs are presented in truncated forms and usually with lots of mistakes in the singing. I'm glad you liked the Speed Of Sound version, but wasn't it greatly abbreviated too ?

Yeah it was abbreviated but only shortly. And yeah he was singing the wrong lyrics, during the freaking chorus! Oh well, it was a nice version still.

Yeah it was abbreviated but only shortly. And yeah he was singing the wrong lyrics, during the freaking chorus! Oh well, it was a nice version still.

I can't agree, how is it a "nice version"? Because they decided to play it? There wasn't much else nice about it. I think we give them way, WAY too much slack live. If The Rolling Stones can still put on a show why can't Coldplay play a 10 year old song right? Right now Yellowcard is on their final world tour and from every video I've seen they're as good as they've ever been and haven't missed a lyric or cut out a verse from a 20 year old track. All Chris says is how much they love their jobs and they love their fans but perform Swallowed in the Sea like they don't even realize they wrote it. It sits even more uncomfortably with me when I get home from a day of work and see they performed an old track, just to find that it's the WORST version I've ever seen of it. It's quite literally his job to get it right.

• Like 5

I find the live versions of Oldplay songs these days to be nothing short of insulting. Truncated, broken lyrics and gaffes in the performances. I'm also not a big fan of the "hybrid" acoustic shtick they're doing (What's the point of In My Place without the drums? Sucks out all the energy)

I've been re-listening to VLV recently and the songs on that album are so very strong. Every time I listen to it I pick up new details I didn't hear before, so much attention to detail in the production. They've done a complete 180 in that regard now.

Violet Hill is Coldplay's finest moment in my opinion. You can just tell it was an older song (Was written Pre-Parachutes If I remember correctly?) Really stands out on VLV. I only wish it was included on AROBTTH to be honest as I think it fits in better with that grouping of songs:

I really hope Coldplay will get out of this phase they're in the last while. All the glitter and faux-optimism really doesn't suit them, I want to see an album filled with songs like Violet Hill, Politik, GPASUYF, Twisted Logic, Trouble etc. A Head Full of Nightmares wouldn't go astray!

• Like 6

Just saw that another X&Y Era performance has turned up in full HD on Youtube ! Grab it while you can !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rVAynZs_u8

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rVAynZs_u8

Woah....

When you compare this to how Chris sings now you can tell a world of difference. He put so much effort into his performance and singing on stage back then it almost sounds like the studio version, nowadays he still puts effort in but unfortunately he seems to put it towards dancing and jumping around and not singing so much... Sounds nothing like the record now

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

Woah....

When you compare this to how Chris sings now you can tell a world of difference. He put so much effort into his performance and singing on stage back then it almost sounds like the studio version, nowadays he still puts effort in but unfortunately he seems to put it towards dancing and jumping around and not singing so much... Sounds nothing like the record now

I have a feeling that's just a big part of this album like it being all happy and joyful and he's trying to reflect that on stage. But idk I think it really depends where coldplay wants to head with their sound, which will determine whether Chris goes back to putting in that effort in singing or continuing to dance around.

• Like 1

I would recommend downloading everything off that "sara" channel asap because a lot of that is not going to stay up for long. I got world stage 2009 and will check to see if there's anything I'm missing or possibly a higher quality version.

Agree, this channel from Sara is awesome ! I followed it but I also worry the channel might get cancelled soon due to copyright reasons.

Unfortunately, it always takes so long to download this stuff in good quality....

Woah....When you compare this to how Chris sings now you can tell a world of difference. He put so much effort into his performance and singing on stage back then it almost sounds like the studio version, nowadays he still puts effort in but unfortunately he seems to put it towards dancing and jumping around and not singing so much

Exactly. Back then he seemed to feel every word and try hard to get his best vocals out, now the vocals (and the music in general) is playing second fiddle to that larger-than-life dancing/jumping-laser-light-firework show. Not that I mind all those show elements, but it should never be at the expense of the actual music.

I have a feeling that's just a big part of this album like it being all happy and joyful and he's trying to reflect that on stage. But idk I think it really depends where coldplay wants to head with their sound, which will determine whether Chris goes back to putting in that effort in singing or continuing to dance around.

True. After all, these shows would not be the same without the fireworks, balloons, him jumping around, fancy light displays etc. But it's too bad the performance is a little bogged down because of that....

I would recommend downloading everything off that "sara" channel asap because a lot of that is not going to stay up for long. I got world stage 2009 and will check to see if there's anything I'm missing or possibly a higher quality version.

Lol Sara also has stuff from Taylor Swift, Ariana grande,britney spears etc...

But that channel also have some Muse and Oasis which is pretty sweet so I might get that as well before it's too late.

I'm downloading all the Coldplay stuff now. :)

Exactly. Back then he seemed to feel every word and try hard to get his best vocals out, now the vocals (and the music in general) is playing second fiddle to that larger-than-life dancing/jumping-laser-light-firework show. Not that I mind all those show elements, but it should never be at the expense of the actual music.

I love these new shows, they look so fun even just watching on a screen and I can't wait to be at one myself personally. But it's too sad the performance has to suffer. If only both of those could be a thing... oh well, I wouldn't last one full song if I was Chris Martin :lol: He and the boys are getting kinda up there to be doing that kind of stuff, they're not like 23 anymore lol. But oh well.

Woah....

I do understand what you are saying.

But somehow, when watching this video I got the feeling that the 4 of them were not enjoying themselves.

It looks like they are stressed or not at ease.

And the people in the audience are standing there like they don't care.

Then I'd rather have a more imperfect singing but fun making band. [emoji4]

• Like 3

But somehow, when watching this video I got the feeling that the 4 of them were not enjoying themselves.

If that's the case then I'd also rather have a band that's less stressed however has less quality performance, but is still fun, then a band that's stressed but putting on a really good show, even though people in the audience seem to not care.

Then again if you're not stressed shouldn't you know you perform good to begin with?

Then again that may only be because they know they have such a large fanbase and they don't really care any more. Plus not having at least a little stress might cause them to go too loose in their performance...

Oh well. I still agree with you :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this is symptomatic of Coldplay's ill-suited foray into mainstream pop music and leaving the indie scene behind. Many people are going for one song like HFTW or Paradise, maybe never even heard the early work. The people who go to Coldplay gigs now are not the people who went to see Coldplay in 2003.

When you contrast bands like The Courteeners, The Blossoms, Catfish and the Bottlemen etc they have nowhere near the popular appeal or reach as Coldplay but their have such a dedicated following in the indie scene, when you go to one of their gigs it's insane. Everyone knows the words and is really into the music.

I'm in my mid-20's now and don't go to as many gigs as I did when I was 18, but I always go to the likes of U2, Noel Gallagher, Arctic Monkeys etc When I go to see Coldplay up in Dublin during the summer I can guarantee I will have nothing in common with the vast majority of people there. I paid full admission for the three or four songs they'll play on C-Stage.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, this is symptomatic of Coldplay's ill-suited foray into mainstream pop music and leaving the indie scene behind. Many people are going for one song like HFTW or Paradise, maybe never even heard the early work. The people who go to Coldplay gigs now are not the people who went to see Coldplay in 2003.

When you contrast bands like The Courteeners, The Blossoms, Catfish and the Bottlemen etc they have nowhere near the popular appeal or reach as Coldplay but their have such a dedicated following in the indie scene, when you go to one of their gigs it's insane. Everyone knows the words and is really into the music.

I'm in my mid-20's now and don't go to as many gigs as I did when I was 18, but I always go to the likes of U2, Noel Gallagher, Arctic Monkeys etc When I go to see Coldplay up in Dublin during the summer I can guarantee I will have nothing in common with the vast majority of people there. I paid full admission for the three or four songs they'll play on C-Stage.

Yeah I know what you mean when I went to their concert, there was just me and few other guys in the stadium screaming the lyrics of "Til kingdom come, don't panic, shiver". Whilst everyone else didn't seem to know them :P Oh well if only I wasn't so small I would have loved to see one of their shows in 2003 or the X&Y era. Honestly you guys who saw them then, should really be so happy that you had that experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=5KspOi1pv0w;list=PLF46F7950F55F7C0F

I love how they start yellow in this, honestly has to be one of my favourite yellow performances

Agree about the start, the Yellow intro of the AROBTTH tour is just goosebumps !

They used to have so many great and atmospheric intros and outros back then (Liquid Ambience before Politik, Scientist reverse outro in 05/06, Clocks drums and strings intro and speed outro in 05/06, Spies intro in 01, the list could go on and on...)

• Like 4