✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Finally got to hear these two Oldplay gems live. Especially the acoustic version of In My Place worked well imho, it gave me that warm AROBTTH feeling...and then GPASUYF with the distorted chords, now that is the Coldplay we used to know !

The concerts feel so incomplete without the GPASUYF or Violet Hill or Major Minus, anything rock-ish. Such a disappointment from this tour. Hope they will add it to the setlist in 2017.

Why havent they played songs like Ghost story, Spies (didnt Chris mention that in the beginning in some interview?), Everythings not lost, All your friends, Square one, Up with the birds, death and all his friends etc. etc. I thought they were going to be more diverse/creative with those requests.

Love the acoustic versions! Heard In my place and Til kingdom come in Amsterdam, enjoyed them so much even though I was far away from that stage. Unfortunately people were talking through the songs.. they seemed to only enjoy songs like Hymn, Sky etc. :no:

I really felt like I wasnt surrounded by fans, but by people having a night out to a big show from a big famous band. With MX this was still so different. Something really has changed now. Made me feel less connected with the band.

Ok, sorry for my complaining here. Didnt write anything about the concert yet.

Time for a good break for this band.. Have some good thinking, some good jamming :drummer::guitarist:and especially find different inspirations!! And surprise us!!

• Like 5

Unfortunately people were talking through the songs.. they seemed to only enjoy songs like Hymn, Sky etc. :no:

Agree with that. Also, the newer dancy things seem to appeal to the new crowds more. When people cheer much louder for AOAL than for The Scientist, something is off imho. At my last show where I was up in the higher tiers, around me many people also seemed to think that the C-stage part is the right moment to start chatting, going to the restroom etc. - so sad to see. Even though I liked the shows, I also felt alienated at some points during the shows because at times it felt like a huge dancepop party with special effects that is not so much about the music but more about the effects.

Here is my latest video from Green Eyes on the C-stage, by the way:

• Like 5

I always love when I discover a gig on YouTube that I've never seen before. Of all the more obscure ones, this is one of my favorites, and I only just discovered it. It's an abbreviated set in comparison to the rest of the Twisted Logic tour, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not pro-shot, but it sounds good and I highly recommend watching it if you have time!

I'll take as many live performances of X&Y as I can

• Like 3

Yes, the whole audience request thing is rather disappointing, almost no variability. The repertoire of songs you can actually "choose" from is like 4 or 5 songs (In My Place, GPASUYF, Don't Panic, Trouble, Shiver, Til Kingdom Come).

I have the feeling they decide beforehand what they wanna play, then search out a presentable Instagram request instead of looking at the requests and genuinely picking out one for its originality or whatever. So disappointed...

Still, the C-stage performances did give me goosebumps during the shows I went to and they are by far the best part of the current shows. Unfortunately, many people in the audience only go for the bombast and don't appreciate these moments.

Welcome to this thread, @Marchez94 - hope you enjoy it !

I always love when I discover a gig on YouTube that I've never seen before. Of all the more obscure ones, this is one of my favorites, and I only just discovered it. It's an abbreviated set in comparison to the rest of the Twisted Logic tour, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not pro-shot, but it sounds good and I highly recommend watching it if you have time!

Thanks, didnt yet get round to watch it but i love discovering performances from the X&Y Era and it is on my list of videos to watch !

• Like 4

Yes, the whole audience request thing is rather disappointing, almost no variability. The repertoire of songs you can actually "choose" from is like 4 or 5 songs (In My Place, GPASUYF, Don't Panic, Trouble, Shiver, Til Kingdom Come).

I have the feeling they decide beforehand what they wanna play, then search out a presentable Instagram request instead of looking at the requests and genuinely picking out one for its originality or whatever. So disappointed...

Still, the C-stage performances did give me goosebumps during the shows I went to and they are by far the best part of the current shows. Unfortunately, many people in the audience only go for the bombast and don't appreciate these moments.

Welcome to this thread, @Marchez94 - hope you enjoy it !

Thanks, didnt yet get round to watch it but i love discovering performances from the X&Y Era and it is on my list of videos to watch !

Could not agree more. Well said. I also see the change from the MX tour, when you still had balloons, confetti, lasers and Xylobands, but got to rock out to more of the older songs. It just didn't feel like a big movie production. This show is getting more like Cirque du Soleil or a Vegas Show. I lived it, but it felt kind of plastic and over produced, almost rote.

What I saw on 7/23 in the great monsoon of Chicago was Chris coming out not looking happy or energized. Just almost bored, like "here we go again." I get that it must have been frustrating to suddenly have to jump out there early, but I kind of felt like he didn't want to be there. That quickly changed, of course. Sorry for rambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it felt kind of plastic and over produced

These are exactly the words which I would describe the shows with. Again, I enjoyed the shows but it does not have anything to do with the band of the same name of the 2000s. MX was pop-rock, this is pure pop/dancepop, for most of the show. The low point (no pun intended ;)) of the show is probably when Chris asks people to get down during AOAL and then jump, because in this moment he is more like a holiday theme park animator than a musician. Also several show elements like Chris falling down into this whirl at the end of VLV are a bit unnecessary and overblown. And when Chris says after Paradise "I don't wanna stop Will, keep going Will" which starts off the remix, it is only cool for someone who does not know this is a pre-planned setlist....

It's also sad to see that Chris has taken to walking around during Fix You instead of actually playing the piano live. The other band members don't seem to have changed that much, but someone needs to remind Chris that he is a musician, not an entertainer/animator. Also, half of the show seems to be made up of pre-recorded tracks or interludes.

• Like 3

I personally loved the energy at my show, but it wasn't the full stadium production so perhaps that is one reason why I found the set more entertaining than any of the AHFOD shows that I've watched from the comfort of my home. The atmosphere just felt more genuine without the giant backdrop and it was nice to see more improvisation and "spontaneous" moments. This felt more like MX than most of the more recent shows. I would've liked to see some older songs like God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Shiver, and In My Place, rather than the typical "Newplay" overload. But at least they proved to me that they still don't need an elaborate stage to put on a good show.

But that leaves me with a question that I wish I could ask the band. If they don't need an elaborate production to play an enjoyable concert, why do they even bother doing so? Just look at the Twisted Logic tour. They played in a lot of arenas (and even a few football stadiums in Europe), but the only stage fluff was a screen behind the band and some lasers during Clocks. That was it. And if you ask me, that era was their live peak.

• Like 5

Just look at the Twisted Logic tour. They played in a lot of arenas (and even a few football stadiums in Europe), but the only stage fluff was a screen behind the band and some lasers during Clocks. That was it. And if you ask me, that era was their live peak.

Agree !

• Like 2

When the album came out, my first thought was that all of the new songs were produced for live concerts: I was expecting a big tour, but I were wrong. It looks like every gig is a direct consequence of the album: overproduced and superficial.

• Like 4

As far as the requests go we've seen what amount of effort they put into it so idk if I'd even want to see something like Everything's Not Lost and have it ruined in front of me (Philly on Saturday). With that being said I will predict that it'll be In My Place. If I had to make a wish I think Lost! would sound really nice with Will's Cajón and be relatively hard for Chris to mess up.

• Like 1

As far as the requests go we've seen what amount of effort they put into it so idk if I'd even want to see something like Everything's Not Lost and have it ruined in front of me (Philly on Saturday). With that being said I will predict that it'll be In My Place. If I had to make a wish I think Lost! would sound really nice with Will's Cajón and be relatively hard for Chris to mess up.

Yeah....

You know what I thought ? If you want to get a good chance for your face to appear at a Coldplay show, just request In My Place or GPASUYF and say something like "I am requesting GPASUYF for my mom because it is her favorite song and she is at the show tonight for the first time/she couldn't make it to the show although she really wanted to"

Forgive me for being cynical, but this seems to be the request "formula" that Coldplay are picking out with little variation, for their favorite 4-5 songs. And once we thought that it mattered how original the request reasons are...

(Don't get me wrong, I was not at all suggesting it is not a good cause to request a song for a loved one - i was just frustrated at the little to no variation and formulaic appearance of the whole request thing, from Coldplay's part, not from the part of the people who request)

Yeah....

You know what I thought ? If you want to get a good chance for your face to appear at a Coldplay show, just request In My Place or GPASUYF and say something like "I am requesting GPASUYF for my mom because it is her favorite song and she is at the show tonight for the first time/she couldn't make it to the show although she really wanted to"

Forgive me for being cynical, but this seems to be the request "formula" that Coldplay are picking out with little variation, for their favorite 4-5 songs. And once we thought that it mattered how original the request reasons are...

(Don't get me wrong, I was not at all suggesting it is not a good cause to request a song for a loved one - i was just frustrated at the little to no variation and formulaic appearance of the whole request thing, from Coldplay's part, not from the part of the people who request)

I agree, when I first heard about the requests I assumed you were going to vote on the site as their site has always been pretty useful compared to other bands. I get that it would be most likely the same results quantity wise but the way they do it now definitely has shown they're content with using it as a way to flex in "requested" songs. I don't think it's too much to ask that you brush up how to play a song that you wrote every now and then. It especially irks me when he acknowledges that there are fans that do like different periods of the band and then gives them the cold shoulder by playing the same 5 songs we've heard all tour with just enough surprises cooked in to give us hope.

I don't understand why they can't just replicate this stripped down version of Lost! It sounds great here and with a little rehearsal they could still do the song justice.

They apparently did play See You Soon tonight in Pittsburgh, though it probably wasn't requested. Nice to see them throw a little more variety into the c-stage set rather than 2 of the aforementioned 5 songs (one being a "request") and a solo cover by Chris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=lvvRtN1rcEw;m=1;s=44

Isnt it funny.. That's the vibe I had with the other tours/concerts (I've been to the Viva tour and MX tour).

With this tour the contrast between old and new songs is so obvious. This is of course going to be the same story for the fans. There will be a huge group enjoying the big party jump tracks and a group enjoying more of the old songs. Unfortunately it will be harder for this group to enjoy because many people are not paying attention. And that just what I felt, I wanted to enjoy and feel that moment just like how I enjoyed that special Warning sign performance during the MX tour, everyone around me was listening or singing. Now I was trying to listen to til kingdom come and not to my neighbours chatting. So, now we have a show where a lot of people are not focused during the complete show. Exactly the oposite of this whole family/love/togetherness idea which Chris so very much endeavors.

I know I shouldnt put a label on people, but this is another obvious thing that striked me. There was a type of people that I would never expect to go see at a coldplay concert, they seemed to be a 'Toppers' or schlager kind of crowd people. Look 'toppers' up on google images and you'll immediately know what I mean. Did anyone else notice a difference in type of people?

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=lvvRtN1rcEw;m=1;s=44

I know I shouldnt put a label on people, but this is another obvious thing that striked me. There was a type of people that I would never expect to go see at a coldplay concert, they seemed to be a 'Toppers' or schlager kind of crowd people. Look 'toppers' up on google images and you'll immediately know what I mean. Did anyone else notice a difference in type of people?

@MidnightSpies are you Dutch and are you talking of the concert in Amsterdam?

Because I do know who De Toppers are [emoji12]

@MidnightSpies are you Dutch and are you talking of the concert in Amsterdam?

Because I do know who De Toppers are [emoji12]

LOL @ the posts above :happy2: I believe 'De Toppers' should work.

Yes, im Dutch :) & yes, the first show in A'dam

Ok, sigh...:facepalm:here we go...

160509_1_toppers.jpg

toppers-bij-afscheidsconcert-gordon.jpg

:hat::indianchief::jester::juggle::santa2::daisy::dance::drinking:

lol

edit: I just imagined the band dressed like this :lol:

• Like 1

speaking of Philly, thought i'd drop these off here for you guys...

Oh my, you got soooo lucky ! Especially AROBTTH, what a gem to have heard. Thank you for your videos. Why does Coldplay torture us by not playing that song regularly in their concerts ? :-/

• Like 2