✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

From approx. 09:00 to 13:45, it might be interesting to Oldplayers

I've been listening to Coldplay interviews for years now and the question was finally put to him straight. While she sugarcoated it a bit it's essentially the thing I would ask him about if I ever had the good fortune of meeting him. His response seems a bit misguided ("It only changed in certain ways") and mentioning R.E.M and U2 in the same breath as Arianna Grande is just really disingenuous in my opinion.

I would love if an interviewer would really press him on the fact that some older fans are so disillusioned with the newer material they are forsaking Coldplay altogether.

The new version of Everglow has a more Viva vibe to it in terms of production but to me sums up everything that is wrong with the current Coldplay. You can tell that was the way the song was originally meant to be, but the album version we got had to be "popped up" to make it more viable for the easy listening market. The last 3 Coldplay albums just emanate corporate meddling.

I look forward to the upcoming E.P as I find Coldplay put all their best material on E.P's and "Extended Editions" these days (Which is a rant for another day)

• Like 3

Yeah, I have bleak outlooks for the future as well (see my recently posted rant in the Kaleidoscope EP thread). Today, after a while, I listened to the entire AHFOD album again, and throughout I was like "what am I actually listening to ?". An album full of unoriginal synthpop. Only Fun and Amazing Day are noteworthy songs (although they could have been a million times better if they had a rock production and drumkit instead of these generic drumbeats).

By the way, it has been oddly quiet in here for a while, I wish more people would post here but looks like most Oldplayers don't frequent the forum that often any more :(

• Like 2

Yeah, I have bleak outlooks for the future as well (see my recently posted rant in the Kaleidoscope EP thread). Today, after a while, I listened to the entire AHFOD album again, and throughout I was like "what am I actually listening to ?". An album full of unoriginal synthpop. Only Fun and Amazing Day are noteworthy songs (although they could have been a million times better if they had a rock production and drumkit instead of these generic drumbeats).

By the way, it has been oddly quiet in here for a while, I wish more people would post here but looks like most Oldplayers don't frequent the forum that often any more :(

I'm still here, but honestly we've already said everything we should've said about disliking the last 5 years of CP music (except a few songs)

• Like 1

I'm still here, but honestly we've already said everything we should've said about disliking the last 5 years of CP music (except a few songs)

Yeah, maybe. But this thread originally also wanted to celebrate the old Coldplay, not just to talk about the current state ! :)

So here are some old gems worth watching and a throwback to the good times:

• Like 5

Heyyyyyyy! At least AD grew on ya! :D

• Like 1

I'm just mad I lost my avatar, I'll have to pop in 2003 on my PC to get it again : (

• Like 1

Also it's been a while since I've seen GPASUYF but I don't know why they decided to kill it MX onward, this "rocks" way more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zSk8M7cqDyI;t=9

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSk8M7cqDyI&t=9m

(9 minutes in)

GPASUYF has and will always be my favorite Coldplay song live :heart:

your avi is great btw

Also it's been a while since I've seen GPASUYF but I don't know why they decided to kill it MX onward, this "rocks" way more

(9 minutes in)

whaaaaat, GPASUYF MX live is amazing, especially the intro and the whole song is so good. Different. It's fun. By no means did they "kill" it

(i know this post doesn't truly have a place in this thread but I read it and had to defend it, sorry)

• Like 1

(9 minutes in)

whaaaaat, GPASUYF MX live is amazing, especially the intro and the whole song is so good. Different. It's fun. By no means did they "kill" it

(i know this post doesn't truly have a place in this thread but I read it and had to defend it, sorry)

While I think GPASUYF MX live is one of the better moments of the MX tour, I agree that i also like the AROBTTH Era version of it better. This "wrecking your guitar" thing at the end just doesn't really fit into Coldplay imho and looks so staged (well, that's what it is).

i popped in and was about to babble about how it was weird actually forgetting coldplay were here for a visit and not being too fussed about not seeing them

then i see they played swallowed in the sea and don't panic goddamnit why do i do this to myself.

i still am not too fond of a majority of the new stuff so is not too bad. also i would have had to subject myself to in my place, but acoustic might improve it tbh.

I feel that the electric guitar in the beginning just prys away one of the best bits of the song. If we had the scope exclusively on Coldplay, that riff is iconic and the electric guitar doesn't really represent it well. The rest of the song pushes Jonny's guitar out of the limelight, it's almost like everyone is trying to compete to be the center of attention on that version.

Already done, so let me know if you have trouble to get it

As usual I forgot, if I remember I'll get it tonight and let you know if I have an issue.

i popped in and was about to babble about how it was weird actually forgetting coldplay were here for a visit and not being too fussed about not seeing them

then i see they played swallowed in the sea and don't panic goddamnit why do i do this to myself.

i still am not too fond of a majority of the new stuff so is not too bad. also i would have had to subject myself to in my place, but acoustic might improve it tbh.

If it makes any difference Chris butchers the lyrics pretty regularly and the tracks get cut short, I don't see any excuse for it. It's disrespectful to us and really anyone who has any type of investment in the performance or band.

After getting over the initial hype, that Swallowed in the Sea version was kinda embarrasing tbh. At least I got to hear a somewhat decent version of Speed of Sound and a nice redition of In My Place in the concert I went to.