✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Talk, Speed Of Sound, Violet Hill, Trouble, Politik, Don't Panic or Shiver, In My Place, maybe some lesser known folky guitar-based acoustic song from early days...miss all of these. I agree that it is too many disrupted intros and outros and interludes (looooooong interlude with the Guesthouse and Amazing Grace..too long !) after Paradise (which is a Newplay song that I actually like a lot) the remix felt completely uncalled-for an pointless. Also, still can't get over the fact that Fix You has been mixed up that way.

Glastonbury 2005 was their best Glastonbury for me and will always be, yeah. Still, it could have been worse...

Talk, Speed Of Sound, Violet Hill, Trouble, Politik, Don't Panic or Shiver, In My Place, maybe some lesser known folky guitar-based acoustic song from early days...miss all of these. I agree that it is too many disrupted intros and outros and interludes (looooooong interlude with the Guesthouse and Amazing Grace..too long !) after Paradise (which is a Newplay song that I actually like a lot) the remix felt completely uncalled-for an pointless. Also, still can't get over the fact that Fix You has been mixed up that way.

Glastonbury 2005 was their best Glastonbury for me and will always be, yeah. Still, it could have been worse...

Just sayin', I still think their 2011 set was great, and it was full of MX songs (HLH, ETIAW, UATW, Charlie Brown).

This because I think it was a well balanced show, musically speaking 2016's feels like plastic to me

Some energy from the show tonight.

I felt the cover as well as the Beejee/Michael Davis sort of stole the spotlight toward the end, especially considering the lack of older material in the setlist. During the MX tour at these festival's they tender to cater the setlist toward a more rock audience but that was nowhere to be found here. The exclusion of Violet Hill pains me. Disappointed it's nowhere to be found.

Clocks lip-sync again. Shows complete contempt for the older work imo, unacceptable at Glastonbury.

As I criticized The Paradise remix, ASFOS, Beyonce, lack of Parachutes material, Everglow etc one friend remarked "You claim to love this band but all you've done is complain about them" found it funny as it reminded me of this forum.

Glastonbury 2005 will always be their best day out.

Well they're putting on a good show, just not really a good Coldplay show. Personally I liked 2002 better because Spies and Don't Panic were beautifully done.

I don't think Chris really cares about doing anything well as much as he wants to put on a show. He still has a decent voice but I feel like he doesn't try nearly as much as he used to. You can tell in his body language he's just less invested in the lyrics and singing, compare how he sung even VLV in 2008 to now, Clocks kind of goes without saying.

While it was a really good show, I felt really disconected from the band during this Glastonbury performance. My actual favorite moment was the Viola Beach tribute because they actually sounded like a pop/rock band for once.

• Like 1

Agree with you guys in that currently in Coldplay shows, the actual music takes a backseat to the show itself. Chris jumps around all the time at the expense of the quality of his vocals. But this is music, not a display of acrobatics or a disco parade with an animator who does the moves to a raving crowd. Walking around now during the verses of Fix You instead of playing piano/organ and the Clocks lip-sync are the last straws here. I am a bit annoyed that the first time(s) I get to see the band live are during the current state of decline.

Agree with you guys in that currently in Coldplay shows, the actual music takes a backseat to the show itself. Chris jumps around all the time at the expense of the quality of his vocals. But this is music, not a display of acrobatics or a disco parade with an animator who does the moves to a raving crowd. Walking around now during the verses of Fix You instead of playing piano/organ and the Clocks lip-sync are the last straws here. I am a bit annoyed that the first time(s) I get to see the band live are during the current state of decline.

First time I saw them live was in 2012 during the MX tour, I was too young to attend a concert or to travel alone before that tour.

It absolutely was a great show, even if had to see Rihanna on a screen behind them... they played Warning Sign, GPASUYF and Speed Of Sound that night.

So don't be afraid, you'll like it ;)

• Like 1

Some energy from the show tonight.

I got some friends around and we hooked it up to a speaker and sat outside with a BBQ and listened. I was disapointed due to the lack of Oldplay but my friends who are more casual fans or don't like Coldplay at all seem to be won over.

I felt the cover as well as the Beejee/Michael Davis sort of stole the spotlight toward the end, especially considering the lack of older material in the setlist. During the MX tour at these festival's they tender to cater the setlist toward a more rock audience but that was nowhere to be found here. The exclusion of Violet Hill pains me. Disappointed it's nowhere to be found.

Clocks lip-sync again. Shows complete contempt for the older work imo, unacceptable at Glastonbury.

As I criticized The Paradise remix, ASFOS, Beyonce, lack of Parachutes material, Everglow etc one friend remarked "You claim to love this band but all you've done is complain about them" found it funny as it reminded me of this forum.

Glastonbury 2005 will always be their best day out.

Clocks lip-sync?!?!

I'm totally done. Most of time I feel like it wasn't that bad not being able to get the tickets for their show bc it was sold out. The pain of spending hours on the queue to get no tickets at all is slowly turning to a relief...

I'm afraid I would never like the old songs anymore if I heard them live in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was wearing my AROBTTH t shirt and a young woman came up to me and struck up a conversation.

She asked me why I was wearing that particular t shirt and I expected a typical anti-Coldplay spiel you tend to hear from music snobs all the time.

Instead we had a very thoughtful and intriguing conversation about the early band. It was clear to me that she wasn't a massive Coldplay fan, just someone who loved British indie music.

It was one of those typical Oldplay venting sessions that I've had with many members on this board in the past but she had a very interesting insight I thought I should share. Many oldplayers like myself tend to think of things going off the rails at MX, or at the very earliest certain elements of VLV but in her opinion it all went sideways with X&Y.

I was a bit taken aback by this as I always zealously thought (probably without questioning) that X&Y was the last 'true' Coldplay album. But allow me to explain her thinking.

She maintained all the typical criticisms contemporary critics had at time, Speed of Sound was a re-worked Clocks. The album was too long and bloated, the lyrics were awful compared to AROBTTH and Parachutes etc. While all this is technically true, it's something I tend to forgive as X&Y still manages to capture that same magic as album 2, albeit to a lesser degree.

What she said next was more interesting though, her theory on why X&Y was so plagued during the production stage was because Coldplay actually produced THREE albums over those three years.

First she claims, that Coldplay had attempted an OK computer, remnants of this can be found in the opening of Square One, Kraftwerk melodies and the elements of space rock throughout. When EMI viewed this as unprofitable, Coldplay went back to the drawing board and produced a hard rock album (Twisted Logic, also the claim Violet Hill was a leftover from this session. This could actually be true as Chris suggested the name "Carnival of Idiots" as a band name in an interview as early as 2006) again rejected by EMI who forced their hand in producing a more "Coldplay like" album. This would explain the similarities to AROBTTH, the albums length (having to rework songs from 3 different LP's) and then the bands worst fears being confirmed by the backlash against X&Y. They became determined to shake off themselves, latching onto the first non rock influence they were allowed to attempt (Pop) and losing the run of themselves.

She also claimed Chris started to become more egotistical during this era, acting like Bono/Thom Yorke, where previously it had been about the stunning music, it was now all about the celebrity front man marrying famous actresses and naming children after fruit/global corporation. The other 3 were pushed to the background where previously they had contributed alot to what made the first two albums such masterpieces. Whereas before it was a creative fusion between 4 talented young men it became the Chris Martin assembly line.

We both agreed though that if they released something half as good as X&Y today it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

It was a great conversation and definitely gave me some food for thought!

• Like 8

Today I was wearing my AROBTTH t shirt and a young woman came up to me and struck up a conversation.

She asked me why I was wearing that particular t shirt and I expected a typical anti-Coldplay spiel you tend to hear from music snobs all the time.

Instead we had a very thoughtful and intriguing conversation about the early band. It was clear to me that she wasn't a massive Coldplay fan, just someone who loved British indie music.

It was one of those typical Oldplay venting sessions that I've had with many members on this board in the past but she had a very interesting insight I thought I should share. Many oldplayers like myself tend to think of things going off the rails at MX, or at the very earliest certain elements of VLV but in her opinion it all went sideways with X&Y.

I was a bit taken aback by this as I always zealously thought (probably without questioning) that X&Y was the last 'true' Coldplay album. But allow me to explain her thinking.

She maintained all the typical criticisms contemporary critics had at time, Speed of Sound was a re-worked Clocks. The album was too long and bloated, the lyrics were awful compared to AROBTTH and Parachutes etc. While all this is technically true, it's something I tend to forgive as X&Y still manages to capture that same magic as album 2, albeit to a lesser degree.

What she said next was more interesting though, her theory on why X&Y was so plagued during the production stage was because Coldplay actually produced THREE albums over those three years.

First she claims, that Coldplay had attempted an OK computer, remnants of this can be found in the opening of Square One, Kraftwerk melodies and the elements of space rock throughout. When EMI viewed this as unprofitable, Coldplay went back to the drawing board and produced a hard rock album (Twisted Logic, also the claim Violet Hill was a leftover from this session. This could actually be true as Chris suggested the name "Carnival of Idiots" as a band name in an interview as early as 2006) again rejected by EMI who forced their hand in producing a more "Coldplay like" album. This would explain the similarities to AROBTTH, the albums length (having to rework songs from 3 different LP's) and then the bands worst fears being confirmed by the backlash against X&Y. They became determined to shake off themselves, latching onto the first non rock influence they were allowed to attempt (Pop) and losing the run of themselves.

She also claimed Chris started to become more egotistical during this era, acting like Bono/Thom Yorke, where previously it had been about the stunning music, it was now all about the celebrity front man marrying famous actresses and naming children after fruit/global corporation. The other 3 were pushed to the background where previously they had contributed alot to what made the first two albums such masterpieces. Whereas before it was a creative fusion between 4 talented young men it became the Chris Martin assembly line.

We both agreed though that if they released something half as good as X&Y today it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

It was a great conversation and definitely gave me some food for thought!

Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing. Also fascinating to see how a non-Coldplay fans knows all these details.

I also love the X&Y album and Era very much, but I have to agree on one thing: In viewing footage from the Era, I recently noticed that the bloatedness of live performances and the increasing importance of the show vs the music can be traced to this time. Dont get me wrong, I still think they are some of Coldplays best performances but it was there that Chris started running around too much, (which worsened his singing because he was often out of breath), and started making these weird (often very pretentious appearing) gestures, probably peaking at the truly odd crawling and hand gestures during performances of Talk.

X&Y still has some really nice tracks, it's hard to say that it was when they turned but it was clearly not like the previous two. VLV if anything was them righting the ship with really creative and interesting tracks and overall a great period of music for them. I understand why people see VLV as the beginning of the end but to me I think they just dropped the ball going into MX, especially having seen it all unfold in real time. I think ETIAWs release was a bit of a question but was reassured with MM and MTM. Once Paradise dropped I honestly had no idea what to expect anymore but I knew it wasn't going to be anything good.

• Like 1

Wonderful review! I also love Glastonbury 2011. Where can I find 2005?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to hear these two Oldplay gems live. Especially the acoustic version of In My Place worked well imho, it gave me that warm AROBTTH feeling...and then GPASUYF with the distorted chords, now that is the Coldplay we used to know !

• Like 5

Still feels like they rush this songs to get over with them as fast as they can

Yes, I know, but at least In My Place was nearly complete..GPASUYF did feel very rushed though. Despite these considerations, it was an awesome moment !

I kind of saw the progression in their sound starting from X&Y days honestly. I'm not surprised at how poppy they've decided to go though they still wrote their stadium rock tunes like "Up&Up" and "Hurts Like Heaven"

• Like 1

I always love when I discover a gig on YouTube that I've never seen before. Of all the more obscure ones, this is one of my favorites, and I only just discovered it. It's an abbreviated set in comparison to the rest of the Twisted Logic tour, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not pro-shot, but it sounds good and I highly recommend watching it if you have time!

• Like 4

I always love when I discover a gig on YouTube that I've never seen before. Of all the more obscure ones, this is one of my favorites, and I only just discovered it. It's an abbreviated set in comparison to the rest of the Twisted Logic tour, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's not pro-shot, but it sounds good and I highly recommend watching it if you have time!

love that System of a Down shout-out :lol:

• Like 1