✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

I stumbled upon this video and it's absolutely gorgeous! I knew Prospekt's March had been soundchecked but I never knew somebody had actually filmed it. The band even added on Poppyfields at the end!

But of course, just like with One I Love on the current tour, they never bothered to play it during an actual concert. :angry:

This is a gem!!!

• Like 1

I just came across this old, old article from January 2001 with quotes from Jonny. I highlighted the most interesting ones.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/80716/coldplay-parachutes-into-us-success

[...]As the band's guitarist Jonny Buckland explains, "We just wanted to do an album of good songs that are emotional and quite simple -- a natural-sounding record that wasn't heavily produced. Our songwriting doesn't have a formula."

London-based Coldplay was founded in 1996, and the current lineup consists of Buckland, lead singer Chris Martin, bassist Guy Berryman, and drummer Will Champion.

The band is on tour in Australia until Feb. 4. On Feb. 8, the band embarks on a North American tour, which kicks off in Vancouver. In April, the band begins a U.K. tour, and there are tentative plans for Coldplay to launch another U.S. tour in May or June.

Lott says many of the U.S. dates on the upcoming tour "sold out quickly. In some cities, we even had to move some of the shows to larger venues."

"We just want to play well," says Buckland of Coldplay's crucial upcoming North American tour. "We're a lot better than we used to be. We don't use backing tracks. We try to change the set list on different nights."[...]

• Like 11

I was bored earlier so I went onto the old Coldplay.com and skimmed through random Oracle questions and answers. This one was particularly intriguing:

February 20, 2013 - submitted by James, United States of America

Q. Oracle,

I was wondering if there is any footage or audio of the band playing Such A Rush live. It is one of my favorite songs from their earlier works.

Thank you,

James

The Oracle replies:

It's one of mine too, James. The only footage of Such A Rush live that I know about is on my dictaphone from a soundcheck in Antwerp, 2005. Sadly though they ran through the song a few times, it was decided to leave it out of the set. I know they soundchecked Bigger Stronger at Dingwalls in December 2011 - I wish I'd been there for that - lucky Anchorman was.

So apparently Such A Rush is another gem that was soundchecked but never formally played live. :( And the mention of the Bigger Stronger soundcheck once again reminded me of all the old songs that have been soundchecked on the AHFOD tour but never added to the setlist. One I Love, Square One, Death And All His Friends, the album arrangement of AROBTTH... :worried:

And I thought they said they were beginning to appreciate their older work again. But I guess they were only referring to Trouble, In My Place, Green Eyes, etc. which likely would've been played live anyway if they hadn't done the request thing for this tour.

• Like 4

Anyone remember Bloodless Revolution?

"Let's not rework this for the album, I have this song called X Marks The Spot instead!" :|

If they were to record a proper, polished version of Bloodless Revolution, it might be an instant favorite of mine from the post-Viva era. I imagine it sounding like a cross between Viva La Vida and Major Minus.

i always figured Bloodless Revolution evolved into 42 because it seems like it's structured in a similar way, plus "you might find that you're useless" -> "you thought you might be a ghost"

anyway, Bloodless Revolution is one of my favorites from the VLV demos, definitely one of the ones that sounds most polished by comparison.

this part:

here's a needle, here's a thread

sew yourself up, clear your head

love it :wacky:

• Like 1

Anyone remember Bloodless Revolution?

"Let's not rework this for the album, I have this song called X Marks The Spot instead!" :|

The ending sounds like it was a bit jazzy. So it's Chris, not Jonny, who was gonna go into jazz :P

Edit: I actually love this quite a bit, I can't stop listening :D

i always figured Bloodless Revolution evolved into 42 because it seems like it's structured in a similar way, plus "you might find that you're useless" -> "you thought you might be a ghost"

anyway, Bloodless Revolution is one of my favorites from the VLV demos, definitely one of the ones that sounds most polished by comparison.

this part:

here's a needle, here's a thread

sew yourself up, clear your head

love it :wacky:

I like that theory and Bloodless Revolution is a favorite demo of mine, too. In the same way, I can hear Life In Technicolor and Life In Technicolor II in The Fall Of Man. I can hear bits of the LIT riff in the piano melody and I can hear bits of the LIT II chorus in the 2nd half of the song.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Oldplayers might like the new Chris Martin collaboration, which borrows quite a few elements from Oldplay:

Oh, wow! The beginning organ riff in Electricity made me think I was about to hear Fix You! Love this song!!

I kind of wish this were an actual Coldplay song. It really does borrow some of those Oldplay elements... let's hope it inspires Chris. :P

I haven't heard this early version of AROBTTH in a long time and I stumbled upon it again a little bit ago. Though the sound quality is kind of off, and bits of the song sound a little disjointed, I think it sounds nice with piano. Some of the alternate lyrics are great, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le7lkwv8fIY

I can't believe I only just found out that there is a live performance of I Bloom Blaum !!!!

That is really beautiful, I think I like it more than the studio version. I really need to listen to this song more and it would be a nice addition to the C-stage set on the AHFOD tour. ;)

• Like 3

I was bored earlier so I went onto the old Coldplay.com and skimmed through random Oracle questions and answers. This one was particularly intriguing:

So apparently Such A Rush is another gem that was soundchecked but never formally played live. :( And the mention of the Bigger Stronger soundcheck once again reminded me of all the old songs that have been soundchecked on the AHFOD tour but never added to the setlist. One I Love, Square One, Death And All His Friends, the album arrangement of AROBTTH... :worried:

And I thought they said they were beginning to appreciate their older work again. But I guess they were only referring to Trouble, In My Place, Green Eyes, etc. which likely would've been played live anyway if they hadn't done the request thing for this tour.

Wow, I can't believe Such A Rush got sound checked as late as '05 AND Bigger Stronger in 2011?!! what?! I almost think that they don't even remember those old songs. Even though I didn't get to hear it, just knowing that they played it for themselves makes me happy to imagine them.

I want to request a song for the tour but

A. I am so shy and embarrassed to make a video

B. I don't know what song to request, Don't Panic is one of my all time favorites, but I know people have been saying it's already been a few times on the tour. And I would want the chance to get them to play something that hasn't been played in a while Maybe A Warning Sign or something off X&Y

• Like 1