✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Old Friends - Sunset

Coeurli

• 3 weeks later...

I think the old friend is his christian faith that he grew up with as a kid - which he / as other lyrics on the album suggest / seems to be rediscovering somehow

To me, this whole album seems like a second « jesus is king » album

If so, he wouldn't be naming 'Tony' at the beginning of the song, so...

• Like 1

Tony was a friend of Chris.

He died ten years ago.

Once, Chris was cycling and encountered Tony. Tony waved him. Chris thought he was saying hello but in fact he was saying Chris to move on. Chris got hit by a car, but the fact that he stopped because he was going to say hi to Tony, saved Chris’ life.

• Like 1

Tony was a friend of Chris.

He died ten years ago.

Once, Chris was cycling and encountered Tony. Tony waved him. Chris thought he was saying hello but in fact he was saying Chris to move on. Chris got hit by a car, but the fact that he stopped because he was going to say hi to Tony, saved Chris’ life.

How do you know this?

The guitar picking in this song is my favourite part of the album.

This song is my second favourite after Trouble in Town.

Very much like AROBTTH and Parachutes style. Love it,

My two favourites, in the same order too :)

Old Friends hit me reaaaaaal hard on first listen. Cried my eyes out.

It indeed totally sounds like Parachutes-era acoustic songs, like See You Soon (very, very similar in tone in fact) or Careful Where You Stand. I hope they will consider playing it on the C-stage for future tours. From the Jordan livestream, you can tell it can be just the sweetest moment, with Chris and Jonny playing alone together, so close to each other.

Discovering the meaning behind the song just adds to its devastating beauty. Chris really wrote that one straight from his heart and his guts. It's so raw, it's haungtingly beautiful. He didn't even change his friend's name or anything.

I've never had to mourn a friend, but I've had my fair share of old friendships, many of whom i've eventually lost touch with, and Old Friends really gets me to access feelings related to this. I am so grateful.

• Like 2