✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Champion Of The World - Sunset

Coeurli

I’ve had Champion on repeat all yesterday and today. Can’t wait for the official lyrics to get a few lines sorted out. But the melody just slides along like butter. Def should have been the album closer, but it makes sense leading into EDL I guess.

• Like 1

I get that this song is directly connected to Scott, both musically and lyrically, but when I was listening to the lyrics for the first time I felt immediately connected to the story of Mylo in the comics of MX (those who have read it will understand), more precisely here:

"I tried my best to be just like the other boys in school"

"I tried my best at taking flak but my rocket-ship reversed"

"But I'll stand before conquistadors till I'm champion of the world"

And especially this one :

"And in my dreams onto my chest she'll bring the colours and say "I wandered the whole wide world but baby, you're the best""

For reference of which part I'm talking about: MX #2: Cover-Up PT 2

So, could this song have originally been made for the MX era? (At least some of the lyrics...)

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I get that this song is directly connected to Scott, both musically and lyrically, but when I was listening to the lyrics for the first time I feel immediately connected to the story of Mylo in the comics of MX (those who have read it will understand), more precisely here:

"And in my dreams onto my chest she'll bring the colours and say "I wandered the whole wide world but baby, you're the best""

So, could this song have originally been made for the MX era? (At least some of the lyrics...)

I wasn't with you until you quoted that "she'll bring the colours" line...damn, that makes SO much sense actually !

• Like 1

Wow this song is so, so good. The lyrics remind me of SJLT but in a good way - I can imagine the video being a cartoon, including a boy riding off in the sky with E.T on there :)

This may be rather tenuous but does the end few seconds remind anyone of Sim City? ...Just me?:P

• Like 3

Wow this song is so, so good. The lyrics remind me of SJLT but in a good way - I can imagine the video being a cartoon, including a boy riding off in the sky with E.T on there :)

This may be rather tenuous but does the end few seconds remind anyone of Sim City? ...Just me?:p

That would awesome! I hope COTW is the next video after Daddy, maybe in Dec or Jan 2020.

• Like 1

"Hi everyone and love from us in Jordan. Two new songs have come out today; Daddy and Champion Of The World. I want to acknowledge Scott Hutchison from Owl John, on the song Champion Of The World. Scott had a song called Los Angeles, Be Kind, which I love. When I first heard it, I thought it was going to go one way; but it went another. Anyway Champion Of The World is the song that came from following the other path. And that’s why Scott is a co-writer on this song. Today is also his birthday. So happy birthday Scott and Thankyou for your beautiful music, wherever you are. Love CM" - Chris on Twitter

“We love it. Musically and lyrically, it’s a beautiful song,” Liddell told NME. “Hopefully through Coldplay, more people will discover the Owl John, and the Frightened Rabbit back catalogue.

Earlier this year, Coldplay got in touch again, having recorded a sister version of the song. The Coldplay camp have been amazing – keeping us in the loop on the tracks progress at each stage. We’re grateful to have played a part in that.” Scott's bandmate Simon Liddell in NME

:heart::heart::heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3

Yeah, same. The guitar riff is one of the things I immediately loved about the song and I honestly thought this was Jonny's brilliance. So, from a Coldplay point of view, it's a bummer.

Then again, one of my favourite Coldplay Songs, if not my favourite, is Talk...

You do realize that the guitar riff from Talk was not written by Jonny either right? :innocent:

• Like 2

I get that this song is directly connected to Scott, both musically and lyrically, but when I was listening to the lyrics for the first time I felt immediately connected to the story of Mylo in the comics of MX (those who have read it will understand), more precisely here:

I always felt that this song is a " Up With The Birds pt. 2"

“We love it. Musically and lyrically, it’s a beautiful song,” Liddell told NME. “Hopefully through Coldplay, more people will discover the Owl John, and the Frightened Rabbit back catalogue.

Owl John and Frightened Rabbit have earned a fan over the past week or so since I found out about Los Angeles, Be Kind's connection to Champion of the World. Both are beautiful songs and the latter is a great tribute to the former.

• Like 5