🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Snow Patrol Thread

fifi

So, hypothetically: Coldplay & Snow Patrol are playing on the same night at the same time 3,000 miles apart and you have tickets and transportation to both but have to choose just one to attend. Just to make it more interesting, U2 is playing with Snow Patrol, and Radiohead or the Killers (or your other fav band) is playing with Coldplay... WHAT DO YOU DO?

What an intellectually stimulating question Mer, although I've come to expect from you, my twin sister. :dozey:

I'd have to pick Coldplay + my other favorite band. Coldplay is just the best band I have ever seen live. I don't get the same experience from other bands, so I would pick them every single time. Add in my other favorite band (which will remain a mystery in order for me to maintain my credibility), and I just couldn't say no. It would probably be the greatest night of my life.

Mer I'm glad you picked Coldplay. U2 was underwhelming at Gillette. Snow Patrol on the other hand was awesome.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go to The Killers+Radiohead, is that choice allowed? :lol: since I've seen Coldplay twice and gonna see U2 in August so.. :P

No, Jo... that choice is not allowed :whip:

HAHAH that was a great answer, Jen! It's so tough, luckily I doubt this scenario would ever actually happen :), but ultimately I would have to choose Coldplay I think. Which actually makes me kind of sad too (because SP is amazing and so fun!! hahah

My thinking is that SP is just so more accessible, they play smaller places, and you're right you can get so up close and personal. Even in the big stadiums Gary's charisma is unmatched (even by Bono) he makes it so fun. I know all their songs too, but I guess it just comes down to Coldplay's shows being such a big production (which can be so much fun sometimes) Plus they have been a LOOONG time favorite and I didn't even hear about SP until Run in 2005ish! I guess I would choose Coldplay with the Killers!

good answer :P

That's pretty much how I was thinking about it. ;)

What an intellectually stimulating question Mer, although I've come to expect from you, my twin sister. :dozey:

I'd have to pick Coldplay + my other favorite band. Coldplay is just the best band I have ever seen live. I don't get the same experience from other bands, so I would pick them every single time. Add in my other favorite band (which will remain a mystery in order for me to maintain my credibility), and I just couldn't say no. It would probably be the greatest night of my life.

Mer I'm glad you picked Coldplay. U2 was underwhelming at Gillette. Snow Patrol on the other hand was awesome.

:lol: are you two really twin sisters? :lol: welcome, Lindsay. I'm Jen :nice:.

But now you realize we must try to determine your other favorite band. Not GA or Backstreet Boys, yet would damage your credibility... :thinking: I'm gonna guess.... Nickelback? ;)

but yes, I'd have to say the U2 360 tour was a tiny bit disappointing. They were absolutely amazing, of course, but it just seemed a little by-the-numbers. I think they've gotten a little too caught up in producing a big spectacle and have moved a little away from just connecting with the audience. I really hope Coldplay don't develop that problem... though some may argue they already have, to some extent.

here are some new, unheard material from 2009 september 27

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaiWxlNVynw&feature=player_embedded]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Crack The Shutters[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvdAP2xnYGA&feature=related]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Chocolate[/ame]

enjoy :nice:

:lol: are you two really twin sisters? :lol: welcome, Lindsay. I'm Jen :nice:.

But now you realize we must try to determine your other favorite band. Not GA or Backstreet Boys, yet would damage your credibility... :thinking: I'm gonna guess.... Nickelback? ;)

Hi Jen! Thanks for the welcome. Merry and I Really are twin sisters :D But no my other fave is NOT Nickelback. My other fave hasn't been played on mainstream radio in about 6 yrs ;) But really...enough about me! :P

Snow Patrol was awesome when they opened for U2. Gary Lightbody was so hysterical and really got the crowed interested and engaged. In fact, the crowd randomly started chanting "SHUT YOUR EYES AND SING TO ME" and Gary and the entire ban just stopped and looked like they were about to cry. Gary got on his knees in order to praise/thank us. It was a really great moment!!

Linds you are being so cryptic. ;) this is a safe place where people can support your musical taste...no need to be embarrassed. all i can say is where's the love? mmmbop :) :D

THAT was the best part of the show for sure - def top concert moment to date. Jen actually found a video and posted it in here a while back! amazing :)

but yes, I'd have to say the U2 360 tour was a tiny bit disappointing. They were absolutely amazing, of course, but it just seemed a little by-the-numbers. I think they've gotten a little too caught up in producing a big spectacle and have moved a little away from just connecting with the audience. I really hope Coldplay don't develop that problem... though some may argue they already have, to some extent.

well, based on the Wembley gig, yeah, the whole staging was massive! it definitely didn't feel very intimate, but i had fun anyway as i was with a great bunch of CPers the entire day.

i saw them earlier in the year on the same tour, but in Singapore. in comparison, in the indoor stadium in Singapore they could still do the whole going out into the crowd at the back thing to be closer to the fans. logistically/realistically, a massive venue like Wembley's impossible to pull that off (it would've been awesome if they did, of course).

then again, it would be even more awesome if Coldplay ever did some busking on the streets of London (or Snow Patrol busking on the streets of Belfast)...Bono's done that in the streets of Dublin, along with Damien Rice & Glen Hansard...oh, well...

Hi Jen! Thanks for the welcome. Merry and I Really are twin sisters :D But no my other fave is NOT Nickelback. My other fave hasn't been played on mainstream radio in about 6 yrs ;) But really...enough about me! :P

Snow Patrol was awesome when they opened for U2. Gary Lightbody was so hysterical and really got the crowed interested and engaged. In fact, the crowd randomly started chanting "SHUT YOUR EYES AND SING TO ME" and Gary and the entire ban just stopped and looked like they were about to cry. Gary got on his knees in order to praise/thank us. It was a really great moment!!

awww...that sounds simply awesome that random chanting thing! :D

& based on Merry's post, i'd say.................HANSON!!! :P

oh, well...no shame there. i listen to a lot of Boyzone. & there are some Phil Collins, Air Supply, Backstreet Boys, Leona Lewis, Nickelback tracks in my music library. *hears the sound of my music cred being flushed down the drain...* :dozey:

This man can really make me cry but be happy in the same time...

& i swear that his songs are brilliant in helping me get my programming assignment problems solved! a lot of my major breakthroughs with my programming happened while Snow Patrol songs were playing!

My biggest gripe with the U2 "360" Tour was that it was billed as 360 and def was NOT. My sis and I had tix BEHIND the stage. They should have said the screen was 360. But what made Gary Lightbody better than Bono was that he continually would turn and face us behind the stage, walk towards the end and sing to us. Unlike Bono, he paid attention to us. <3

well, based on the Wembley gig, yeah, the whole staging was massive! it definitely didn't feel very intimate, but i had fun anyway as i was with a great bunch of CPers the entire day.

True, which is why the overall atmosphere was better than the quality of the concert itself, if that makes sense.

Purely on a "gig" level, there were concerts last year that I enjoyed more than that one.;)

My biggest gripe with the U2 "360" Tour was that it was billed as 360 and def was NOT. My sis and I had tix BEHIND the stage. They should have said the screen was 360. But what made Gary Lightbody better than Bono was that he continually would turn and face us behind the stage, walk towards the end and sing to us. Unlike Bono, he paid attention to us. <3

that's a pity that Bono didn't make the most of the 360 stage. :\

& that's just the thing i was thinking is the "achilles heel" of that stage design. you can make it 360 & all, but ultimately, the equipment tend to face a specific direction, so there's still a section of the crowd that sees the backs of the band most of the time.

but great to hear that Gary seems to have won your heart...heh ;)

i'd have to say that that's one thing that stood out for me when i saw them on the Reworked Tour. throughout the night he was quite clearly interacting with people in the crowd and not just the more visible people up front. he even talked to the people seated on the upper balcony's extreme front corners (i.e. the ones that got the shite view, even in his opinion).

True, which is why the overall atmosphere was better than the quality of the concert itself, if that makes sense.

Purely on a "gig" level, there were concerts last year that I enjoyed more than that one.;)

yeah. that's why, as much as i'd love to say that Coldplay's epic gig at Wembley with 90,000 people was the best gigs i went to last year, unfortunately i'd have to say that Snow Patrol at Colston Hall with just 2,000 people was better on a performance/entertainment level...and that's even with the mic problems they had towards the end during Just Say Yes.

that's a pity that Bono didn't make the most of the 360 stage. :\

& that's just the thing i was thinking is the "achilles heel" of that stage design. you can make it 360 & all, but ultimately, the equipment tend to face a specific direction, so there's still a section of the crowd that sees the backs of the band most of the time.

but great to hear that Gary seems to have won your heart...heh ;)

i'd have to say that that's one thing that stood out for me when i saw them on the Reworked Tour. throughout the night he was quite clearly interacting with people in the crowd and not just the more visible people up front. he even talked to the people seated on the upper balcony's extreme front corners (i.e. the ones that got the shite view, even in his opinion).

Yeah he definitely won my heart that night! He has so much charisma, it's amazing. He's hysterical and he has the ability to make anyone think he's singing directly at them. At least that's how I felt. I mean, when he came near us, he literally stood as far at the end of the stage as he could, like on the top step that leads down and to backstage. He looked like he genuinely cared we were there. It made that a much better experience and I enjoyed SP more than U2. It was too bad I couldn't go to the SP show in NYC with Merry. Just so charming :smug:

yeah. that's why, as much as i'd love to say that Coldplay's epic gig at Wembley with 90,000 people was the best gigs i went to last year, unfortunately i'd have to say that Snow Patrol at Colston Hall with just 2,000 people was better on a performance/entertainment level...and that's even with the mic problems they had towards the end during Just Say Yes.

Same for me with Keane at a small venue in Cologne last summer. I much prefer "intimate" gigs.;)

Yeah he definitely won my heart that night! He has so much charisma, it's amazing. He's hysterical and he has the ability to make anyone think he's singing directly at them. At least that's how I felt. I mean, when he came near us, he literally stood as far at the end of the stage as he could, like on the top step that leads down and to backstage. He looked like he genuinely cared we were there. It made that a much better experience and I enjoyed SP more than U2. It was too bad I couldn't go to the SP show in NYC with Merry. Just so charming :smug:

ahhh, gary! :wacky: I am soooo looking forward to seeing them again.... at some point in my life.

@Kimmi- I loved the Viva tour... yes, it was big, but I think the b/c stages were really nice touches. My only complaint is Chris' canned audience banter. I love the man, but wish he weren't *quite* so predictable! Though, I can certainly understand how easy it must be to switch on the auto-pilot doing the same show night after night.

oh, don't get me wrong, i still loved the Viva tour. i especially love the VIVA backdrop at the end and the super awesome rain of confetti butterflies :wacky: ...but the Coldplay gigs are more memorable for me in a different way somehow. & Chris was ill when at Wembley...he didn't banter much, in fact. :(

oh, don't get me wrong, i still loved the Viva tour. i especially love the VIVA backdrop at the end and the super awesome rain of confetti butterflies :wacky: ...but the Coldplay gigs are more memorable for me in a different way somehow. & Chris was ill when at Wembley...he didn't banter much, in fact. :(

Which is one of the reasons I thought Duesseldorf was a better gig.;)

On a related note to U2/SP, it looks like Snow Patrol is opening for a few more U2 dates this year - Istanbul, Moscow, and Athens:

http://www.atu2.com/news/more-u2-360-opening-acts-revealed.html

Oh no, having read that, I was so hoping they might open in Munich as well... But of course not. :( I guess that would have been too much to ask for. :dozey: DAMN! It'd have just been way too awesome! :cry: Plus that fact that they'd be the support act would have convinced me to keep my ticket for the standing area and even queue up early...

Well, come on, One Republic?! I mean, seriously... :dozey: I'd have preferred either Kasabian or Interpol...

But oh well, who am I to rant... I'm going to see the boys headlining twice anyway, I guess that'll make up for it. Still, it'd have been great to see them as a support act for once. I guess that would have felt more like "home" to me whatsoever. :lol:

And I suppose they're doing the shows in the "East" because (if I remember correctly) they haven't played there on their tour yet whereas they've already been to Zürich and Munich (no idea about Vienna)...

I know that it's old one, but still...magical:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da_NsX0vlo&feature=related]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Run[/ame]

full performance:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtJoA17UdkQ]YouTube- Snow Patrol - Run (Live at Lowlands 2006)[/ame]

Hey everyone! I miss my SP family! :hug: Hope you're all well.

I was randomly looking through the live threads on the SP forum and found this link to a treasure trove of gorgeous shots from MY SHOW!! These were apparently taken by the venue photographer. Just wanted to share :nice:

http://clubpix.kingsnake.com/search.php You may have to type in Snow Patrol in the second search box. ;)

EDIT: btw, Kimmi- I am just now finally getting around to listening to the Re-worked show you shared a while back. Thanks again so much... it's brilliant! :kiss: