✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mel Gibson's Passion

musiclover

Howdy!

I see threads for movies all the time on here, so I thought I'd start one for this new movie that's coming out. It's called "Passion of the Christ" and it's directed and produced by Mel Gibson.

Gibson was interviewed last night by ABC's Diane Sawyer...I was totally bewildered. :o I mean, the guy has got religion, he's been "re-born" and at least to me, he just looked and sounded like a close-minded bigot :confused: :/

I know entire churches here have bought tickets en masse and they have even declared that this movie will be used to evangelize and that it's the best thing to have happened in decades....

I don't know about all that. I mean, Mel Gibson even says to Diane Sawyer that God helped him make this movie... what? hello!

Passion stories in the past have been used to target and kill Jews....I just hope things like that don't start again after people watch this movie. :confused: :(

I don't know if I want to go see it...I mean, I would be patronizing someone whose beliefs/ideas i don't like...

then again, marketing here is crazy. if Germany is good at engineering and China is good at manufacturing, America is definitely the best at marketing... :rolleyes:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched that too, and to me, he didn't look at all like a bigot or close-minded. He just looked like somebody who has strong beliefs (keep in mind that I am in no way a christian). He even said something along the lines of "It's possible for people who aren't Catholics to go to heaven," which is something many devout Catholics will never even consider. In fact, I almost felt bad for him that he had to sit there and answer stupid questions like "are you an anti-semite?" It looked to me like Diane Sawyer doesn't understand the concept of a religion, with some of the questions she was asking him. I think he handled it very well.

And about God helping him make the movie, many artists throughout history have made similar claims. If you believe in a God, than Gibson receving His help making the movie shouldn't seem any more ridiculous than Him helping you making everyday decisions, and if you don't (which is the category I fall into), then you can at least admire somebody who has such strong convictions about things.

As far as the movie itself is concerned, I'm kind of curious to see if he portrays things as close to the Bible as he claims he did, and I think everybody else should see it first before they start throwing accusations at him. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see it.

indeed u too long to reply! specially for such a juicy and controversial thing as this! :lol:

i agree with everything you say. it's just that his answers made me feel very uncomfortable. i'm just not used to people talking about their ideas on God and religions in such a public manner. So many wars in the past have been fought over religion...

may be i'm just being too sensitive on this, but i dread the day when missionaries come knocking at my door and try to give me a copy of this movie along with a bible...

i mean, everyone knows about this story already...why do we need such a dramatic movie, which, as per one critic, is just 2 hours of brutality.

and then, there's that part about the movie not making any attempt at telling us why the people were apparently against Jesus and his teachings. Instead, you see Jesus getting bad rap and apparently without any reason...which then portrays the people as being insane or the cause of Jesus' death.

I dunno..I'm not a Jew nor a Christian, so I don't even have any locus standii on these issues, but I was just terrified at how a movie star and a lot of marketing can move people. A rich guy in the Dallas area has bought out 25,000 tickets for this movie already and is distributing them for free to southern baptist churches...

Well, as you say, most people who see it will likely know the story, so to them, it won't look like Jesus is all of a sudden condemned to death for no reason. I'm still going to wait until I've seen it before I judge it one way or the other, but I'm not really worried about it fueling anti-semitism, because I think most people are smarter than that nowadays.

An interesting side note: the guy who plays Jesus was struck by lightning while filming the Sermon on the Mount. If that's not a bad omen... :lol:

oh really? :stunned: wow

and the actress that plays Jesus' mother is actually Jewish...and gibson edited a scene out of the final version after she said it might around wrong sort of passion among viewers. :/

i guess Al Jazeera or someone will next come out with a story on Allah.

You know I think with all spotlight this movie is going to take/have you are goign to see like both sides. What I've read is that, in a way, is like anti-Jewish ( but I can't say it until I see it ) but they are going to defend themselves too, and well I think the fact that his version is like much more known, helps a lot but I don't think what Musiclover's said is going to happen. In other word, I quite agree with Mr. Peed.

i didn't say anything is going to happen, i just fear it might happen. or in the least, you will have an army of people going about trying to convert other people to their way of thinking about an after-life while making hell of the present life! seriously, i have no respect for the missionary-types...and this movie will be one more weapon in their multimedia armory. and it's not the educated folks who might get worked up about it, it's the uneducated ones, in the third world etc... :/

and

:lol: :lol: @ tom's idea.

An interesting side note: the guy who plays Jesus was struck by lightning while filming the Sermon on the Mount. If that's not a bad omen... :lol:

Funny stuff.

I want to see this movie, just to see how Gibson filmed it and to see if all the events are portrayed accurately.

Funny stuff.

I want to see this movie, just to see how Gibson filmed it and to see if all the events are portrayed accurately.

and how would you know if the events are "accurate"? I mean, you would fall back on your own interpretation of what the Bible has to say about all those events, right?

what's more, most of the churches don't even follow the christianity or the teachings as they were taught by christ and followed up until 4th century. There is a growing literature on the Gnostics, for example. There also is a new best-selling book written by a Harvard prof. of theology that says that the gospel of St. Thomas was side-lined and the one of St. Paul came to be dominant, but that the one of St. Thomas is actually how christianity was during the time of Christ himself.

I'm fascinated by all this, 'cuz many of the teachings of Gnostics, and even the gospel of St. Thomas talk about God and humans in much the same ways as Hinduism (and to some extent Buddhism) do..."cut a tree, and I am there; split a rock, and I am there!" God is not in some heaven, He is omnipresent, and that humans are not sinners but are beings at lower levels of consciousness, that by raising our self-consciousness through prayer and such, we could have our own direct relationship with God! You don't need a pope or a church for that!

apparently, this vision ran counter to the political/power hungry elite among the christians of 4th century who went about killing and side-linging the main kings/leaders that supported the gospel of St. Thomas, and replaced these with the ones who supported the papacy and gospel of St. Paul...

I would recommend everyone interested in watching this movie to also watch another movie: Stigmata. That movie came out a few years ago and it raised lots of hackels among the establishment church and was obviously hushed up and given no marketing....if you notice, the effect and power of establishment chruch is omnipresent...in the name of a God that's apparently ruling us from afar...

i mean, everyone knows about this story already...why do we need such a dramatic movie, which, as per one critic, is just 2 hours of brutality.

can`t you see what going on in the world? people tend to forget about what`s really important. it`s all about the money instead of love. i believe that God (however you call Him: Yahwe, Buddha, Allah) IS LOVE. we forget about God = love and value materialistic stuff more. this kinda movie is to remind you what life`s all about. we turn our backs to God (love) and that aint right.

Funny stuff.

and how would you know if the events are "accurate"? I mean, you would fall back on your own interpretation of what the Bible has to say about all those events, right?

what's more, most of the churches don't even follow the christianity or the teachings as they were taught by christ and followed up until 4th century. There is a growing literature on the Gnostics, for example. There also is a new best-selling book written by a Harvard prof. of theology that says that the gospel of St. Thomas was side-lined and the one of St. Paul came to be dominant, but that the one of St. Thomas is actually how christianity was during the time of Christ himself.

I'm fascinated by all this, 'cuz many of the teachings of Gnostics, and even the gospel of St. Thomas talk about God and humans in much the same ways as Hinduism (and to some extent Buddhism) do..."cut a tree, and I am there; split a rock, and I am there!" God is not in some heaven, He is omnipresent, and that humans are not sinners but are beings at lower levels of consciousness, that by raising our self-consciousness through prayer and such, we could have our own direct relationship with God! You don't need a pope or a church for that!

then we don`t need buddhist monks either

that's all true, Kasia. But apparently, all though history, 'God' seems to be the reason people have gone to war, committed savage crimes, and all the other things. Why can't people once and for all just leave God to every individual...let them do their own thinking and come to their own conclusions instead of trying to get people convinced about your own ideas of how it was or how it will be if you don't accept a story...

i'm all for people to be spiritual and Godly, in their own personal ways. I know I try to be that way...

i dunno...i guess one could say to me "who are you to dictate to me how i should or should not talk about god"...so i guess i'll just lay low now on this issue... :D :P

in aCTUAL FACT WE DON`T NEED IT ALL! (sorry for tha caps)

we don`t need schools

we don`t need doctors

we don`t need parents

we for sure don`t need politicians!

we can live our own lives, make our own rules and kil one another just the same

we can be reasonable and wise human beings right after we are born

when infants we can survive without help of anyone

when children we can value,praise and maintain things/people we want and like and kill those we hate

WE DON`T NEED NO PREACHIN!