✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Smiths

badlydrawngirl

Of course I did,I only dont like his voice.... The band rocks

Two days ago I thought "He has a great voice". :laugh3:

I know,everybody on the board loves his voice

:laugh3: Hahaha.

I just had to laugh because I was listening to Miserable Lie and there... well...

:laugh3:

Actually... I also thought that...

I don't really understand him. But I like his voice.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

THE INFLUENCE OF THE SMITHS,

MORRISSEY & JOHNNY MARR

Influence

The Smiths have influenced a number of alternative rock bands. Even as early as 1985, the "band had spawned a rash of soundalike bands, including James, who opened for the group on their spring 1985 tour".[27] The Cranberries combined "the melodic jangle of post-Smiths indie-guitar pop with the lilting, trance-inducing sonic textures of late-'80s dream pop, creating their sound with "trebly, chiming guitars and spare, certain melodies".[28] As well, the band used Stephen Street as producer, who was known for "maximizing the moodiness of the Smiths".[29] The Cranberries fused this sound with lyrics that echoed the lovesick, literary style of Morrissey. "The Smiths singer's bookish, fiercely intelligent lyrics also provided a blueprint for the quiet, literate Scottish band Belle & Sebastian."[30] Marr's guitar playing "was a huge building block for more Manchester legends that followed The Smiths - The Stone Roses"; their guitarist John Squire has stated that Marr was a major influence.[31] Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher has called The Smiths an influence, especially Marr; Gallagher stated that "when The Jam split, The Smiths started, and I totally went for them."[32]

Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien has acknowledged that he idolized The Smiths in the 1980s; the band pays homage to The Smiths in their song "Knives Out". After O'Brien played with Johnny Marr in New Zealand in 2001, he acknowledged that Marr was the reason he had picked up a guitar as a teenager. Music reviewer Piero Scaruffi argues that later Radiohead albums turned away from their Smiths'-influenced sound, "virtually hiding the guitars, replacing their emotional content with a barrage of semi-mechanical loops, warped instruments and ...digital noises."[33]

Las Vegas band The Killers"...joined the post-millennium resurgence of post-punk and New Wave sound that was built by the likes of similar bands such as Interpol, The Rapture and The Strokes. The Killers were influenced by "bands like The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure and other 80s staples."[34] Music critics have noted the strong British influences such as The Cure, The Smiths and The Clash in the band's sound, even quipping that they "sound more cockney than cowboy."[35]

The "Britpop movement preempted by The Stone Roses and spearheaded by groups like Oasis, Suede and Blur, drew heavily from Morrissey's portrayal of and nostalgia for a bleak urban England of the past."[36] Britpop band Blur "formed as a result of seeing The Smiths on British television's South Bank Show in 1987. However, even though leading bands from the Britpop movement claimed to be influenced by The Smiths, the Britpop bands were at odds with the "basic anti-establishment philosophies of Morrissey and The Smiths", since Britpop "was an entirely commercial construct." In the book Saint Morrissey, the author claims that Britpop "airbrush[ed] Morrissey out of the picture...so that the Nineties and its centrally-planned and coordinated pop economy could happen."[37] Other bands influenced by The Smiths include Modest Mouse, Suede, Placebo, The Libertines, The Sundays, Throwing Muses, The Organ, Brand New, The Verve, and Doves.

Journalist Chloe Veltman argues that "the fanatical adoration surrounding Morrissey today is founded on nostalgia, specifically a yearning for the Morrissey of the 1980s — the superstar-outsider frontman of The Smiths." She argues that The "Smiths have had a much more profound influence on subsequent culture than Morrissey has had on his own over the entire 17 year history of his solo career." She also points out that the "extensive catalogue of pop bands, plays, novels, films and other cultural artifacts that have been influenced by Morrissey's ideas and aesthetics draw their inspiration from The Smiths rather than Morrissey solo."[38]

I SAW MORRISSEY THIS EVENING!!!! in Hyde Park.

and he was fucking fantastic. :)

I'm a big Smiths fan, and sadly, havn't listened to enough of Morrissey's solo stuff, but it was amazing nevertheless. He played ASK, VICAR IN A TUTU and HOW SOON IS NOW (which was incredible)...plus all his solo stuff. The crowd were amazing, and his banter is hilarious but thought provoking. :lol:

ahhhh. What I would give for a The Smiths reunion..... the songs are too good.

Now I have seen Johnny Marr and Morrissey in the same year. :D

^Yes , I too am all for a Smiths reunion , but I love Moz solo too , reunion seems highly unlikely though , if I remember correctly Moz once said he would rather eat his own testicles than reform The Smiths......

Haha...sounds like him alright. He is so funny and grumpy, he was saying a load of stuff last night and sarcastically 'congratulating Kylie Minogue on her MBE for services to music' and the crowd was booing :dance: hehehe

He was also saying a load of stuff about burgers equalling 'putting death in your body'..... :uhoh: :lol:

gotta love Moz!

There are so many Smiths songs that I would looooove to hear. *sigh* oh well.

I SAW MORRISSEY THIS EVENING!!!! in Hyde Park.

and he was fucking fantastic. :)

I'm a big Smiths fan, and sadly, havn't listened to enough of Morrissey's solo stuff, but it was amazing nevertheless. He played ASK, VICAR IN A TUTU and HOW SOON IS NOW (which was incredible)...plus all his solo stuff. The crowd were amazing, and his banter is hilarious but thought provoking. :lol:

ahhhh. What I would give for a The Smiths reunion..... the songs are too good.

Now I have seen Johnny Marr and Morrissey in the same year. :D

Thats great, he still is one of the best live acts anywhere.

^Yes , I too am all for a Smiths reunion , but I love Moz solo too , reunion seems highly unlikely though , if I remember correctly Moz once said he would rather eat his own testicles than reform The Smiths......

Yes, Im hoping he changes his tune considering how instrumental he was in reforming his favorite band the New York Dolls.

Unfortunately he turned down $75 million last year for a reunion tour....

Yes, Im hoping he changes his tune considering how instrumental he was in reforming his favorite band the New York Dolls.

Unfortunately he turned down $75 million last year for a reunion tour....

yes, well Moz was the head of the "Dolls" UK fanclub , and I was aware of the offer , but one of the things I love about him is that he sticks to his guns...

While searching through some ticket stubs I found one of my prized possessions. I was kind of obsessed with The Smiths/Morrissey in college. Most my friends (including me) had pieces of Morrissey's shirt from one of the shows when the crowd went kind of nuts (understatement of the year). Anyway - if I had a scanner Id scan this.

The World Famous KROQ Presents:

THE SMITHS CONVENTION

with very special guests:

MIKE JOYCE & ANDY ROURKE

Sunday February 23rd, 1997 2:00pm

Pasadena Convention Center

300 E Green Street Pasadena, CA

Yeah - it was pretty cool hanging out with a bunch of other obsessed Smiths fans. I wish this kind of stuff still happened (and perhaps it does - ive just not heard of others).

I believe those conventions happen every year. Morrissey also had about 8 or 9 sold out shows in LA on the last tour, a bunch at the Hollywood Palladium and a sold out Hollywood Bowl.

I believe those conventions happen every year. Morrissey also had about 8 or 9 sold out shows in LA on the last tour, a bunch at the Hollywood Palladium and a sold out Hollywood Bowl.

Ah - I guess it would help if I still lived in Cali, but since I havent for years - it'd make sense why i dont seem to hear about it as much. He's always sold out all his LA shows from what I recall.

and i was at 4 of the 5 shows! :D The last night was the most awesome night of the tour as he played everything I had wanted to hear.

Greatness.........I got my one show in Dallas....:cry:

• 2 weeks later...

cl.gifpix.gifDavid Cameron gives Barack Obama CDs of The Smiths

I was reading the political stories in the Scottish broadsheet "The Sunday Herald" when mention was made of Barack Obama, on his UK visit, carrying a box of Cd's - including The Smiths - which the Tory leader had given to him:

As the senator swept out through Parliament's gates it emerged that he was taking with him a box of CDs of music by some of Cameron's favourite British bands, including The Smiths, Radiohead, Gorillaz and Lily Allen.

The Obama charm offensive tour plays Downing Street

Good to hear that one of the most inspirational politicians in recent years now possesses material of The Smiths....