interpol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Billie Piper to leave Doctor Who

Actress Billie Piper is to leave Doctor Who at the end of the current series, the BBC has confirmed.

But the corporation refused to comment on reports that her character, Rose Tyler, would die in the final episode.

"It has been an amazing adventure and I can confirm it comes to an end, for now at least, as series two climaxes," the former pop star said.

Writer Russell T Davies said the Doctor Who team had created "a stunning exit" for Piper's character.

"The Doctor Who team have had a whole year to plan this final scene," he said.

"We will miss Billie and wish her all the success in the world for her future."

Piper, 23, is currently filming a BBC adaptation of Philip Pullman's Victorian thriller The Ruby in the Smoke.

"Rose and I have gone on the most incredible journey over the past two years," she said.

"I am truly indebted to Russell and to all the Doctor Who fans old and new who have been so supportive."

Speculation has been mounting over Rose's future on the programme, although the BBC had previously scotched reports predicting her departure.

The series two finale, entitled Doomsday, sees Rose and the Doctor, played by David Tennant, caught up in an invasion that threatens to destroy modern-day Earth.

Dave Bradley, editor of SFX Magazine, told the BBC News website there had been "a lot of rumours" regarding Piper's exit.

But he said that even if Rose did meet a sticky end, the door would still be open for her to return.

"No-one ever stays dead in science-fiction," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Doctor Who Has Christmas In July

_41925406_tate2033.jpg

Shoppers in sunglasses were baffled to see Christmas trees and giant snowmen on sun-baked streets in Cardiff.

The seasonal time-trick of a frosty festive scene was created by the Doctor Who team to film the BBC show's Christmas special.

Guest star Catherine Tate braved 30C temperatures in full white bridal gown.

When fans asked David Tennant, who plays the Doctor, how he was coping he shouted back: "It's blinking boiling."

Scenes for the special, entitled The Runaway Bride, were shot in Cardiff city centre, which will be transformed into a shopping street in London's West End for the show.

Comedy star Tate, known for her catchphrase "Am I bovvered?" in her hit sketch show, might have been a little perturbed as she coped with her role as bride Donna in soaring temperatures.

She had to jump out of a black cab and run down the Cardiff street.

A Doctor Who insider revealed that audiences will see her morph into a giant bride before exploding across the screen.

'Bumpy ride'

She said: "I'm honoured and delighted to be joining David Tennant aboard the Tardis.

"As a summer job, this'll do."

The show's writer Russell T Davies, has joked that the Tardis would be in for a "bumpy ride" with Catherine Tate on board.

An onlooker said: "It's surreal seeing all the Christmas decorations - but it's quite nice to look at them on a hot day like this.

"It feels like the Timelord has put us in the Tardis and whisked it off for Christmas."

It has also been revealed that Torchwood, a sci-fi spin-off of Doctor Who, will launch on BBC Three in late autumn.

The series will focus on a squad of secret agents facing human and alien enemies, with actor John Barrowman reprising his role as time traveller Captain Jack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk

_41925404_tate2031.jpg

• 11 months later...

Doctor Who to get extra companion

Doctor Who to get extra companion

Doctor Who is to have a new companion when the drama returns - but there will still be room for his current co-star.

Actress Freema Agyeman is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood. She said it was a chance to "expand" her character.

She will miss the first half of the fourth series of Doctor Who, but will then return to the BBC One programme.

The new companion will be revealed soon and will appear in the entire 13-week run, which begins filming this month.

Former Crossroads actress Agyeman, 28, impressed producers with a brief appearance in the minor role of alien expert Adeola.

They invited her to try for the part of David Tennant's sidekick when Billie Piper left at the end of the second series. The show is in its fourth series since its revival in 2005, having ended previously in 1989 after 26 years.

The third series of Doctor Who, which concluded in the UK on Saturday, had gained "outstanding reviews", according to Russell T Davies, its executive producer and head writer.

"Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha," he added.

"Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood."

In May, Agyeman told BBC News how overwhelming it felt to be constantly recognised in public.

"Everyone's calling my name so it feels surreal," she said, as she walked up the red carpet at the Bafta TV Awards.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/6260374.stm

Catherine Tate accepts proposal to star in fourth series.

Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13 week run of Series Four of Doctor Who.

Award winning comedian Tate will reprise her role as Donna, the runaway bride from last year's Christmas special, despite turning down the Doctor's invitation to travel with him at the end of that adventure.

When Catherine was asked if she would like to become The Doctor's new companion at the press screening of The Runaway Bride, she replied, "I would love to, but no one has asked!" Well, now they have.

"Catherine was an absolute star in The Runaway Bride and we are delighted that one of Britain's greatest talents has agreed to join us for the fourth series," announced Doctor Who's executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies. "Viewers can expect more ambitious storylines and a whole host of guest stars in 2008."

Catherine Tate added : "I am delighted to be returning to Doctor Who. I had a blast last Christmas and look forward to travelling again through time and space with that nice man from Gallifrey."

Freema Agyeman who has played Martha Jones, The Doctor's companion throughout the critically acclaimed third series, will return to the show to join The Doctor and Donna mid series.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

I miss Rose :bigcry: Pity they can't just bring her back for a few episodes.

The new girl is awesome though, as far as I can tell. We've just started the 3rd season here- episode 3 is next. But we are getting Torchwood this fall... hopefully will be interesting.

I miss Rose :bigcry: Pity they can't just bring her back for a few episodes.

The new girl is awesome though, as far as I can tell. We've just started the 3rd season here- episode 3 is next. But we are getting Torchwood this fall... hopefully will be interesting.

Actually, I don't miss Billie Piper at all, as "Martha" has been an excellent replacement.

What's more, David Tennent is the best "Doctor" ever.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally saw the Christmas special- I hadn't even known that there was a second one, so I missed it when it was on tv here.

Donna is such a funny character (funny odd, I mean) you want to shake her or thwack her or strangle her or do something to make her wake up, but then I ended up really liking her at the end. There's a lot of character to develop there. And she and David Tennant have such a great rythm going between them- they seem to be able to play off of each other in really interesting ways. Like, how is Donna going to react to the Ood? Can't wait to see that one.

So I may not have a clue who Catherine Tate is, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Still would rather have Martha, though. I'm really, really liking her.

• 1 month later...

Doctor Who in doubt as Tennant reveals plan to take a break

By PAUL REVOIR - More by this author » Last updated at 19:31pm on 3rd September 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments

Next year's series of Doctor Who could be the last for David Tennant after it was revealed that he will not be filming a full series for 2009.

While the BBC is completing the filming for the fourth series of the hit BBC1 show, which will air next year, there will only be three specials in the following year before the show gets a full run again in 2010.

scroll down for more

DrWhoPA0908_468x316.jpgDavid Tennant will star alongside Catherine Tate in the fourth series of Doctor Who next year

The fifth series has been postponed until 2010 so that the Casanova star can take to the stage to play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year. But some insiders believe it is unlikely he will come back into the role after that.

A spokesman for Doctor Who said it was too early to say whether the Tennant would be returning for any future series, but many believe he is ambitious to expand his stage and screen projects.

Mr Tennant, who took over from Christopher Eccleston after he quit the revival of the show after just one series in 2005, will star alongside Catherine Tate, who plays his new assistant in the show, replacing Freema Agyeman, who will still feature in the programme.

The announcement will also raise speculation about head writer Russell T Davies future on the show after he was credited with masterminding its return to screens in 2005.

Among the names who have been previously linked with the role are former Cold Feet actor James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle and David Morrissey.

Jane Tranter, Controller of BBC Fiction, said: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas.

"Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010."

scroll down for more

tateDrWho_468x334.jpgThe next series of Doctor Who could be the final one for David Tennant

Menna Richards, Controller of BBC Wales, said: "The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset.

"This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

A special Christmas episode starring Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be broadcast on BBC1 in December.